PDA

View Full Version : Screenshot Question?

dougal
January 7th, 2010, 07:46
I'd like to know what programs (if any) people are using for their screenshots?

I have searched, but only come up with thousands of actual shots.

Before changing to Windows 7 x64, I used a little applet called 'Snapper', and really liked it.

I haven't yet found anything that will work like the FSX 'V' key, as in taking shots 'on the fly' while staying in full screen mode.

What do you guys use?

Thanks

falcon409
January 7th, 2010, 07:51
I use a freeware program called ScreenHunter.:salute:

Henry
January 7th, 2010, 07:53
the v key
H

spotlope
January 7th, 2010, 08:05
+1 for ScreenHunter, though there are a lot of programs that get the job done.

Matt Wynn
January 7th, 2010, 08:09
i use FRAPS, but also have used screenhunter and just plain old 'v' on occasions

IanP
January 7th, 2010, 09:57
I use V or prntscrn when I only want one shot and can quickly nip out to paint to paste.

dougal
January 7th, 2010, 10:21
Thanks Guys

One thing though, the people who just use the V key.... Do you then 'sharpen' the images or something after conversion? I ask 'cos some of the screenshots I see here at SOH are really sharp - almost photo-like.

When I use the V key, I find the end result not very good. Too 'blocky' to zoom in on. Could that also be down to my screen resolution? I only use a 19inch screen running at 1280x1024.

Thanks

falcon409
January 7th, 2010, 10:37
Thanks Guys

One thing though, the people who just use the V key.... Do you then 'sharpen' the images or something after conversion? I ask 'cos some of the screenshots I see here at SOH are really sharp - almost photo-like.

When I use the V key, I find the end result not very good. Too 'blocky' to zoom in on. Could that also be down to my screen resolution? I only use a 19inch screen running at 1280x1024.

Thanks
That's why I like the actual screenshot programs, it let's you set the quality of the shots you take as well as the size, what area to capture, etc. Takes a lot of the guesswork out of it. Also, yes I sharpen my shots usually before I post them, not always but most of the time.
The shots I get from ScreenHunter are fine as they are but appear a little "soft" so I use an "unsharp mask" in PSP and that usually does the trick.

Henry
January 7th, 2010, 10:53
normally i dont mess with mine
i do open them in photoshop and just covert them to jpg's
the only problem i have with other programs is my os
does not like most
H

IanP
January 7th, 2010, 11:31
Pressing v gives you a bitmap, which is completely uncompressed, exactly what you see on the screen. Are you sure you're not looking at it scaled down, which is why it looks blocky?

I have no problem with other applications, I just don't happen to use them because the functionality is already there for all I need, but you certainly shouldn't get any blurring, artifacts or similar when saving as a bitmap.

Thoe6969
January 7th, 2010, 13:28
Screenhunter here,works great.