PDA

View Full Version : Nightmares of Installing a New Wireless Printer

Lionheart
January 6th, 2010, 08:05
Hey all,

I have needed a printer now for over a year. The one I had was barely working and finally gave up the ghost months ago.

So I went out and purchased a nice, wireless printer that I could put on a shelf, away from the desk. I didnt realize there were actually that many printers on the market and at first was a bit bewildered. I finally decided to choose the Epson Work Force 615.

I get it home and unpack it. I find the install disc and start the process of installing the Epson software. I have an Apple iMac, and will install first to my WindowsXP side, then later, Mac OSX64.

First install, 7PM, unsuccessful. Print command does not work. 9PM, several attempts, no luck, aborted till the morning when I am fresh and sharp.

Next day, 10AM, reinstalls start over again, WindowsXP. Not successful. Noon, decide to try installing to MacOSX. Unsuccessful. BlueTooth is not seen, unit will not send out the location beacon. I did get the Network to be visible, but the Epson App will not 'function'. I assume its because I may have MacOSX64, so I download the 610 software from online. Sure enough, online is a big thing on Mac OSX64. I figure I have it fixed (before installing). No go. App is still crashing when sending a Print command, printer not functioning.

3PM, back to Windows. I decide to see if there is an update at Epson.com for the software, and go there for a specific WinXP driver. Download, install, try again. Computer will not recognise the printer on the network. I try several routes including Modem direct, BlueTooth, etc. Nothing is working.

5PM. I am looking at the box, feeling this odd 'growing' sensation in my forehead of eyebrows turning gray and bristly. My stomach is in knots and I am sipping coffee, my heart rate slightly high, rings forming under my eyes. I notice, glassy eye'd, stairing at the printer box, that the printer is a 615, not a 610. I sit up. The software definately said 610 on the disc! But I had seen a 615 driver set at the website... Could they be shipping the wrong CD's with this thing?

I go online, download the 615 set. Almost the same file name. I download it, install it. (Its a long process. I cant believe it takes perhaps 10 min's of high speed file installation to install a dang printer...). The package is done. I reboot the computer and the printer for good luck. I say a prayer again to God. I click on a file and hit 'control-P' to print something. It prints!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Eureka! WinXP printer mode is now functioning. Time; 6PM, day 2.

Filled with enthusiasm, I try again on the Mac side and redownload the Mac version, run the installer, go through all the various network/bluetooth routes. Nothing... Quit for the night. Time; 7PM.

This morning, day 3, cleaning up. I take the box out to the garage. I straighten up the desk and find a plastic envelope with documents for MacOSX64 that has a disc inside. I hadnt felt the disc in the pack and thought I had found the only one. Goodness. I wonder, could it work this time? I had downloaded the latest drivers yesterday.

I figure why not. I open the pack. I go into Mac and begin deleting the previous install files of the package. This time, I delete the 610 'assignment icon' in the printers window. It occurs to me, that might be a driver selector, not just a fancy icon to select. (It doesnt say driver, but what if?).

Side note; one begins hallucinating about all these ways one can get a program to work, like talking to the machine, casting out demons from it that might be causing it to not work, putting a fan on it to cool it so it might work 'better', bumping it with your fist, talking sexy to it, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc....

So, I run the disc for MacOSX64. It runs, but this time, is done in perhaps 1 min. I think, this cant be right. It must have missed alot of files. hmmmm..

The program says 'print test page'. Why not. Click...

Behind me, on the shelf, the printer makes some ticks, comes to life, pulls a sheet from its stack and prints! EUREKA again! It prints... 3 days... I double check, choose a file, hit Command-P, and it does it! It prints this dang file like its no big deal at all!

Imagine that.. Wireless printing.. No cables..

3 days...

Notes on the Epson; software stated it was for a 610, but the unit is a 615. The downloads for the 615 worked, but the disc version did not. So definately a 615 installer is required, which is nearly the same file name.. (has a dash-one on the end of the file name).

Second, the download version of the MacOSX64 didnt seem to work, and it did not have a uninstaller, which can be a common thing with Apple programs. I think deleting and reselecting the Printer icon/location is what finally fixed the Apple issue.

What a lot of stress.... I was going to hire Geek Squad to come out and get it working. Who knows what that would have cost.

That and a new window when I was going to give the printer flying lessons which include 'how to make the jump to light speed' with the hanger door (window) closed.

Bill (with gray eyebrows).

Dain Arns
January 6th, 2010, 08:18
Glad you got it figured out, Bill. :applause:

Wireless printing is such a wonderful thing, especially when you roam the house with the laptop. :wiggle:

harleyman
January 6th, 2010, 08:20
PC and Cheapo Printer and One USB cable = joy...... LOL

Glad you saved your sanity on that one bill...

jmig
January 6th, 2010, 09:14
Dang! I going to make some smarta$$ comment about Apple but, he got it working.

Bill, I don't think I have ever had much of anything computer work right out of the box. I have much less hair because of computers.

:bump:

Snuffy
January 6th, 2010, 09:17
Three days? Is that all? :icon_lol: AND you took naps in between?? :173go1:

Chacha
January 6th, 2010, 09:28
Bill,

I just decided to give you an A+, on that 2 page composition you just wrote!

Your writing skills impresses me..... Very articulately done... :applause:

Man you can write.... I will suggest you write a book... (Hey Ickie has started one... We are just waiting for the release date!)

Lionheart
January 6th, 2010, 10:58
Bill,

I just decided to give you an A+, on that 2 page composition you just wrote!

Your writing skills impresses me..... Very articulately done... :applause:

Man you can write.... I will suggest you write a book... (Hey Ickie has started one... We are just waiting for the release date!)

Thanks ChaCha,

:d

When is Ickies book due out?

Bill

Lionheart
January 6th, 2010, 11:05
Dang! I going to make some smarta$$ comment about Apple but, he got it working.

Bill, I don't think I have ever had much of anything computer work right out of the box. I have much less hair because of computers.

:bump:

I hear yah, lol....

I think that alot of corporations havent taken Apple seriously enough and thus dont really get into drivers updates that much. Apple went to 64bit several months ago and I think thats what my Apple issue was.

Apple is one slick, awesome OS. I have fun when I am in Mac mode. I am constantly laughing (smiling and entertained) at how it updates and stuff. Its like a well tuned BMW. I can only wish it someday ran FS and Gmax. I think it can run a version of Max though.. Now to get FS running in it...

You know, I think MS went wrong with 'redesigning the wheel' each time they re-released Windows. They created super monsters. Mac is the same OS but just evolved. They didnt 'redesign' it in the true sense with each release, which probably helps massively with Apps working on all machines, aids with updates, etc. Easier to maintain on a corporate wide engineering scale. (My humble 2 cents).

Bill

stiz
January 6th, 2010, 12:48
khhC5UkiNd4

sorry bill had to :icon_lol:

Gdavis101
January 6th, 2010, 12:50
I bought a Wireless HP jobby two years ago.. Had it set up on my Vista and XP machine, no problems for almost the first year and a half I had the darn thing.. Could print from my laptop in one room while my printer was in other.

Than one day, after not using it for awhile and making no changes to either configuration I found that the drivers were messed up on my Vista machine and the printer would not work from there and then I soon realized it was the same on my XP machine as well. Everytime I wanted to use the darn printer I had to remove the printer, reinstall the driver and it would be fine for that print job.. Lastly, when I switched to Windows 7 I found out that the wireless capability of my printer was not supported by 7!!!! So, I ended up wiring it into my network instead and it hasn't failed since...

Fibber
January 6th, 2010, 14:08
Glad to see you got that to work. You do realize that the ink that they give you is worth about twenty pages!:icon_lol: I had a Epson that was brand new in the box and used it about 1 week. The supply went dry and the cost of the replacements was rediculous. Also they use a chip that precludes you from refilling the cart. You can but a reset tool but I did and wound up returning it and junking the whole machine. Bought a HP and haven't looked back yet. EP is atrocious!

PS; a good reference site is http://www.fixyourownprinter.com/kits

Wing_Z
January 6th, 2010, 14:49
Well done Bill.
Now you can graduate to the wireless network router.
First, you need an internet connection to update the drivers.
Mmmm...:banghead: