PDA

View Full Version : Seeking Autogen Guru!

falcon409
January 6th, 2010, 07:23
I have a problem and I need some advice from someone fluent in "Autogen Annotator". In the image below, the recently released "Charlton Field", I want to place individual pine trees in a row on either side of the strip. The only GUID for any of the trees are "sets" not individual trees. I've tried dropping down the system tree for each autogen set to choose a subset (or single tree type) but the annotator won't accept anything but the primary GUID. If I select anything else I get a Null GUID. There has got to be a way to plant single trees, yet thus far, if I place one box over each area what I get is what you see in the image. . ."groups of trees". Also, in the image, you can make out where the larger trees are and I have a box drawn over every one of those trees, yet what do I get. . . .just a few bunches, lol. Very frustrating.

Henry
January 6th, 2010, 07:54
Do they have to be autogen?
could you not just place trees
as a blg?
H

falcon409
January 6th, 2010, 07:58
Do they have to be autogen?
could you not just place trees
as a bgl?
H
Yep, I could, but they wouldn't be seasonal. Where the rest are. Hey wait, (thinking on the fly here. . .which is dangerous, lol) I don't have seasonal ground textures for that field and mentioned in the readme as such, since they would be pine trees. . .who cares, lol.

Thanks Henry. . .lol:173go1:

Henry
January 6th, 2010, 08:11
sometimes i have great ideas:173go1:
i am just trying your original now
i see you are updating also
cheers
H

NoNewMessages
January 6th, 2010, 08:33
Ed, you don't realize that just be getting the thing to work that it qualifies you as being the guru!

There's also a recent posting at FS Developer about getting the scenery object trees to display as seasonal, but it's not something I've really looked at and on the top looks like a bit of work. I think it's in the 3D objects section, posted by Rhumbaflappy.

Holger Sandmann
January 6th, 2010, 08:35
Hi there,

all of the conifer (tc) "city" groups are free of sets so you can use those. If their trees are too big or irregular in size then there's only Douglas-fir Young. (Never use Norway Spruce Young because the 6-m model has a reflection issue that will turn it all-white when the tree is between the viewer and the sun). Alternatively you could try using poplars, which are more regular and thus work well for these kinds of situation. Obviously though they aren't conifers.

To get the placement as accurate as possible use very tiny boxes, just about 1x1 pixel in size. You can then copy one of them to place all others quickly via mouse right-click at the center of each tree crown.

Cheers, Holger

falcon409
January 6th, 2010, 09:09
Hi there,

all of the conifer (tc) "city" groups are free of sets so you can use those. If their trees are too big or irregular in size then there's only Douglas-fir Young. (Never use Norway Spruce Young because the 6-m model has a reflection issue that will turn it all-white when the tree is between the viewer and the sun). Alternatively you could try using poplars, which are more regular and thus work well for these kinds of situation. Obviously though they aren't conifers.

To get the placement as accurate as possible use very tiny boxes, just about 1x1 pixel in size. You can then copy one of them to place all others quickly via mouse right-click at the center of each tree crown.

Cheers, Holger
That's good info Holger. I've had other instances where I wanted a row of trees and was really frustrated with the inability to recreate that look. I don't think, based on the photoimage that these were pine trees, they appear too full for that. . .more like Elm or Chestnut and the smaller shrubs are probably narrow leaf bushes of some kind. However, the client wants Pine trees. Back to the drawing board I guess. I also have some moving to do, as it appears the mil objects were placed in the wrong spot, so this is back to a WIP, lol.

falcon409
January 6th, 2010, 09:11
Ed, you don't realize that just be getting the thing to work that it qualifies you as being the guru!
Boy there's a scary thought, lol:kilroy:

I'll look into that article as well. I'd like to see how that's done as placement of vegetation objects is much more precise than using the annotator. Thanks:salute:

GaryGB
January 6th, 2010, 11:49
Hi Ed:

The FSDeveloper thread in question was:

[FSX] Seasonal objects as effects

http://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18180&highlight=seasonal

PS: Many thanks to Holger for sharing his insight by clarifying those options for trees in Autogen Annotatator. :applause:

One might hunt for a long time only to find out but a fraction of what he has learned from his extensive experience and testing ! :isadizzy:

Regards,

GaryGB

robcap
January 6th, 2010, 14:14
Hi Falcon,

completely missed this anticipated release.:kilroy:
It's also a nice background for a RAF Douglas DC2 :d
Looking forward to the update.

falcon409
January 6th, 2010, 18:43
I hope everything is placed where it should be now. I have moved the Military Objects and retouched the photoimage in the area under the palace after turning it 1/4 turn to face the treelined rwy. Speaking of which, if you want to land your Spit on that rwy, land over the palace as I did and not the other way. I would much rather hit some leaves than the front portico of the Palace, lol. Here are some shots of the new placement and my approach and landing on the treelined rwy, which, by the way, I did not think was possible. The rwy looked far too short.

MCDesigns
January 6th, 2010, 18:57
Looking good Ed! Funny, didn't know they had pines in the UK, LOL.

falcon409
January 6th, 2010, 20:52
Looking good Ed! Funny, didn't know they had pines in the UK, LOL.
LMAO, yea, yea, yea, lol:173go1:
Hey it looks cool though, lol

robcap
January 6th, 2010, 21:26
Hey Ed,

Looking great!! would it be possible to switch away the modern cars as well??

Cheers, Rob

falcon409
January 6th, 2010, 21:40
Hey Ed,
Looking great!! would it be possible to switch away the modern cars as well??
Cheers, Rob
Rob, when I did the original scenery I honestly figured that was all there was to it and the cars didn't seem out of place. Now that we have Militarized the scenery and that may not be something everyone wants. . .the cars look out of place (I agree). Sooooooo, I'm going to make yet another small bgl file that will contain the modern vehicles so that they can be removed if necessary.

To be very honest, in hindsight, this little scenery should have undergone some serious beta testing. I could have gotten everything done once and that would have been it. As it is now, I've released one patch already and am preparing to release another, lol.:isadizzy:

robcap
January 6th, 2010, 22:32
Ah well, Ed, doesn't matter, it's all highly apreciated.:ernae:

letsgetrowdy
January 6th, 2010, 22:54
Yes, Falcon this is absolutely brilliant. I'm not just saying this, but I don't really care about any ORBX stuff etc, but this is just brilliant. It will be my favourite airstrip in FSX now, and when I watch Piece of Cake it will mean so much more to me. Thank you, Ed.

BTW, in the series, the Spitfires never used the tree-runway, but visiting GA aircraft to the Squadron did, such as the Rapide.

MCDesigns, I know what you mean - you don't often see pine trees in the UK. In the series, charlton Park is meant to be a Chateaux in France, so pines were imported to make the location look more authentic. (Or so my godfather, who worked on the series as "helicopter Pilot" told me)

CrisGer
January 6th, 2010, 22:58
ys they do have pines in the UK..this is a beautiful piece of work very nice indeed.

falcon409
January 6th, 2010, 23:17
This is what I've done:
made an additional bgl file for just the modern vehicles at both the Palace and the small hangar.
made single bgl with a replacement Big House for those who don't have Accel, as that object is Accel only and won't show in the standard FSX.
Added some additional vehicles to the mil version bgl so there are military vehicles at the hangar.

So, if you don't want military at all, don't use the charlton_mil.bgl file
If you don't have Accel, add the charlton_FSX.bgl file to have a replacement building where the Palace should be
If you aren't using the military version, add the charlton_cars.bgl file to add modern vehicles back into the scenery.

I have someone who will test the FSX bgl to be sure it aligns correctly and to take some screens of what else doesn't show (I think the buildings above the palace are also Accel only objects, so I may need to replace those as well.

I think that's it for now.:isadizzy:

letsgetrowdy
January 7th, 2010, 00:33
Whoa thanks mate - ur up early!

I've just been out sledging in the snow - its a foot deep here!