PDA

View Full Version : OK so you want to run FSX but ya only got less than $600 for parts

txnetcop
January 6th, 2010, 05:35
OK you have never built a computer before and you have always wanted to learn. The handbook and manuals are easy to read and apply. Most important ya wanna fly FSX and Rise of Flight

This was tested by James at our facility in Austin last week. I asked Sergio to test FSX and Rise of Flight for me and as well since they are the hardest on a computer. First let me tell you what you get with this kit:

A step by step picture book on how to build this PC-applies to most PCs

An MSI G31 TMP-21 motherboard complete with Intel E5300 with Glacial Tech CPU cooler mounted-yes they used Artic Silver 5 paste for those that are sticklers about it

An XFX Doublelife Guaranteed 256 bit 512 MB 9800GT video card

2GB of PC 5400 667 mhz memory which Sergio switched to (2GB Patriot Extreme Performance 800 mhz memory http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820220227)

A decent lifetime warranty Ultra LS 500watt PSU-they mean it and it has no issues as long as you don't go beyond the video card that comes with it!

A nice Cooler Master case with excellent interior cooling

A 7200rpm 32mb cache hard drive by Seagate Momentus-this is the latest version and supposed to be error free-Sergio said it was fast and that was his biggest concern

Microsoft comfort curve keyboard-very nice with optical mouse

James used an old copy of XP Home

It ran Modern Warfare 2, Crysis, Far Cry, X-Plane 9.30, Left4Dead, Bioshock and Rise of Flight all at high medium settings. It ran FSX at 22-30 fps just about everywhere according to Sergio with sliders right of center-he said the upgraded memory made all the difference as he tried it with both the Corsair value select memory and the Patriot High performance memory.

By the way this was stock and not overclocked, but he did say it was over-clockable on this board to 3.2Ghz and provided even better numbers.

According to Sergio if you don't get greedy and want demand too much of the graphics card the experience will be enjoyable and every component can be upgraded if you upgrade your power supply.

This is our first testing of a complete build kit-everything except the OS is included-James said they may be shipping XP Home with it by now so ask!

Here it is:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=5574380&SRCCODE=LINKSHARE&cm_mmc_o=-ddCjC1bELltzywCjC-d2CjCdwwp&AffiliateID=s88sTL3Gu.A-eOdAwuyysjdOzoBPYGsJiQ

As always your results may vary and try at your own risk! Oh yeah they will refund your purchase if not satisfied and nothing is broken!
Ted

harleyman
January 6th, 2010, 08:16
Yup..A solid build for sure..

Prices are again down..What I could build for 500 in parts became 650 over the last 2 1/2 months...

now back to 500 or so again

langshan
February 12th, 2010, 10:21
Thanks for that information. It always takes me awhile to think about spending money, but I believe I will spend in March so I can have a better FSX experience then the current 15FPS with this 3800 single core althlon. 20 to 30 FPS would be heaven for me. Again thanks very much.

Mike

harleyman
February 12th, 2010, 15:19
I just built one on the new Gigabyte G 41M DDR3 motherboard running Corsair PC8500 DDR3 Dual Channel ram..

Only problem is that the ram runs backwards at 800 on a dual core , but drop in a small quad and she goes full speed ahead again....

But, running backwards at 800 is no slouch, and you get the benefit Of DDR3 mem...

txnetcop
February 13th, 2010, 10:51
That G41 M board by Gigabyte is really nice. I agree Mason. The G31 is phased out anyway. I would would go with nothing less than a Q9550 on that board as well. I have built several and they are very robust.
Ted

harleyman
February 13th, 2010, 19:29
That G41 M board by Gigabyte is really nice. I agree Mason. The G31 is phased out anyway. I would would go with nothing less than a Q9550 on that board as well. I have built several and they are very robust.
Ted

YUP..I just also built one with a Q9550 on that board and it rocks.....

With Crappy Tracer ram too....

Talk about hard to get tp post..Geeessseeee It was HORRIABLE .... But I won the battle...LOL