PDA

View Full Version : Tech Help

CG_1976
November 1st, 2008, 16:23
Ok we had a fire sale at the best buy and i nailed a 750gig hd for $95.75. Ive installed her as E drive and am formatting her. Can I transfer my whole FSX install to that drve and repair the reg and manually edit any associated fsx shortcuts to that drive. Should i be fine doing it that way to obtain a fsx dedicated drive?

Cactuskid
November 2nd, 2008, 09:07
I think the best way to do it would be to back up your entire FSX files, including your FSX.cfg, logbook, rewards, etc., then uninstall FSX and do a clean install on the new drive (don't forget to defrag between FSX installation and service packs then defrag again) (Don't run FSX until all SP's are installed). You can then overwrite all your files to the new install. You will have to edit your FSX.cfg to direct accepted guages etc. to the new drive letter. It sounds like a pain, but it's probably easier than having to edit the registry, plus you have the benefit of a fresh install and registry entries.

Good luck! :wavey:

kilo delta
November 2nd, 2008, 10:43
You'll most likely need to edit the Registry anyhow, especially if you've addons installed. I'd recommend biting the bullet and doing a fresh install on the new 750gb drive....it'll probably save a lot of heartache in the long run.

Stratocruiser
November 2nd, 2008, 12:24
I added a third drive earlier this year, too. FSX was already on my old D: drive, and I wanted to put it on a new larger drive.

Since I had dedicated the old D: drive mainly to FSX, to aid performance, there wasn't much else on it that would require registry changes, so I decided to do the following:

I installed the new drive as E: and then used a backup program to copy all of FSX to it.

Then, I used Control Panel->Administrative Tools->Computer Management->Disk Management to reassign the drive letters. First I changed the old D: drive to G:, then the new E: to D:, then the old G: drive to E.

After testing FSX out to see if all was well, I deleted FSX off the old drive (which was now E).

This worked perfectly. I didn't have to reinstall FSX, and had no problems with addons, since as far as XP was concerned, FSX was still on the D: drive.

Just something to consider, and of course, your mileage may vary.

Carey

mjrhealth
November 2nd, 2008, 12:26
YEs you can. I did, but you may have to reinstall some addons so they have the correct path or edit the FSX config file to correct them. There is a FSX path correct fle on avsim that will point the registry to its new folder.

CG_1976
November 2nd, 2008, 12:36
Transfer of FSX complete to drive E along with manual reg edits. Six hours of flight testing and no CTDS or errors. Gained more stronger fluid motion. Overall a victory.