PDA

View Full Version : I need to have a rant....

sandar
January 5th, 2010, 23:07
...It snowed quite heavily overnight in the area where I live in the UK. We have got off quite lightly compared to some other parts of the UK during the past week, but last night we had about 5". The amount of snow is not the issue, the issue is the idiots who cannot be bothered to clear the snow of their cars.

I have just returned from taking my wife to the railway station (she works in central London about 70 miles away).

Driving to and from the station we saw loads of cars with snow covering their lights, both front and rear (it is still quite dark here at 07:00 hrs.). Why on earth can't people brush a bit of snow of the windows and lights before setting off, it only takes a few seconds?

There were many car drivers who hadn't cleared the snow from their car windows either. I saw one woman (yes it was a blonde!) who had only cleared what can only be described as a peep hole so she could 'see' out, the side and rear windows were completely covered with snow. How could I see her, I hear you all ask? I was following her and watched the silly b*gger run off the road because she couldn't see where she was going. I helped her by telling to clear her windows so she could see what was going on around her and where the road went. In fairness to her, she didn't know I can't walk (a broken back caused that little impediment), but she got quite stroppy and abusive when I didn't get out of my car and give her a push.

And yes, I did clear my lights before leaving home despite the car being in a car port overnight.

That's my rant over..............for now anyway

Quixoticish
January 5th, 2010, 23:12
I couldn't agree with you more. The problem is never with the snow but with the idiots who don't drive to the conditions, cause accidents, and slow the traffic down to a crawl. I'm getting utterly sick of people telling me that they "drive better" or are "perfectly safe" to plough along at 70 as they would on a regular day in blizzard conditions.

Sadly the vast majority of people don't leave proper stopping distances, drive at safe speeds, understand how to drive their vehicles properly and have respect for their fellow road users on normal days, so it's easy to understand why there are a stupid amount of crashes when the weather is bad.

Snuffy
January 6th, 2010, 03:08
Use to see the same thing here in the states, (at least the states that I've lived in that got snow ...) I think its more an indicator of a person's laziness than anything else.

Their "I gotta get where I'm going ..." and their "Me first" attitudes don't have time for safety.

jmig
January 6th, 2010, 03:43
Snip....
Their "I gotta get where I'm going ..." and their "Me first" attitudes don't have time for safety.

That kind of driving is pervasive these days.

People cutting in and out of traffic. Truckdrivers that will pull out in front of you and proceed to pass another truck at 1/2 mph overtake for the next two miles, etc, I've seen it all.

Blackbird686
January 6th, 2010, 04:34

Snuffy -- You hit the nail on the head there, mate.

I see alot of this kind of thing in Colorado, folks driving "IFR" so to speak.
The only positive thing is that usually, people who do this usually wind up being ticketed by the police.

BB686:USA-flag:

Trans_23
January 6th, 2010, 05:12
We are suppose to get 6-10 inches of snow around Chicagoland tonight and into tomorrow. I am taking the train. It's that or sit in traffic for hours both ways. :isadizzy:

Henry
January 6th, 2010, 05:27
if it snows here i will not drive in it
i can drive fine its the other idiots that bother me
one of my pet peaves is driving in rain
and see a lot of cars with no lights
you dont need your lights to see
but it shows others where you are
actually i believe it a law if your windshield wipers are on
so should your lights
H

Snuffy
January 6th, 2010, 05:44
... i believe it a law if your windshield wipers are on
so should your lights
H

This is a state law in FLA ... but you'd never know it to see the number of idiots here that don't live by that law.

I tend to be the other way around, if the truck is running the lights are on the whole time, day, night, rain, or shine.

srgalahad
January 6th, 2010, 06:08
This is a state law in FLA ... but you'd never know it to see the number of idiots here that don't live by that law.

I tend to be the other way around, if the truck is running the lights are on the whole time, day, night, rain, or shine.

Daytime Running Lights...
Laws in Canada, Denmark, Finland, Hungary, Iceland, Norway and Sweden require vehicles to operate with their lights on during the daytime. Some laws require all vehicles to be equipped with DRLs. Others simply mandate that drivers turn their lights on at all times.

Oddly there is an organization that fights this :isadizzy:
http://www.lightsout.org/index.html

Whether they see it as an affront to their freedom or because it may be operated by people who don't want to maintain their vehicles remains to be seen...
The only dumb thing is that, in Canada at least, as a sop to the manufacturers they don't require that taillights be tied to the system.. so some terror-stricken clown doing 10MPH in a snowfall is invisible until he fills your windshield. You'd think that the way people want laws to eliminate the need to think, they'd welcome a law that takes away the need to flip a switch.

As for the rest, heaven forbid that we should require proper, comprehensive drivers tests or mandatory retesting to see what other bad habits have crept in.

Rob

Mobayrasta
January 6th, 2010, 06:09
We recently had a huge snow storm here in the North East US. I was driving behind a mini van who had cleared all the snow off of his windows but had not taken any of the 12 inches of snow off the roof of his van. Long story short at about 60 miles per hour it all came off at one time and the majority of it landed smack on the front of my car. How I did not wreck while making my way to the side of the road was just luck. I swear if I could have chased then down I probably would have gone to jail. I SO wanted to kick their butts.

lefty
January 6th, 2010, 06:21
What they also don't realise is that after a few miles, when their own vehicle warms up, all it needs is a bit of sharp braking to render them completely blind when the whole lot ends up over their windscreen. Believe me, wipers don't shift it !

Re lights, I agree everything that has been said, with one proviso. It is the fashion here for the boyracers to drive around all the time with fog lights on, regardless of the conditions. Most of these schmucks don't even know this is actually illegal, because those things are mounted so low they blind other drivers.......

CH_OldZeke
January 6th, 2010, 06:31
This was 1 week before christmas.
http://zeke.4mg.com/cool/2feet.jpg
http://zeke.4mg.com/cool/akk2.jpg
http://zeke.4mg.com/cool/akkk.jpg

Henry
January 6th, 2010, 06:43
It is the fashion here for the boyracers to drive around all the time with fog lights on, regardless of the conditions. Most of these schmucks don't even know this is actually illegal, because those things are mounted so low they blind other drivers.......
i have fog lights on my car i have never used them
but i did not know they blinded other drivers
thanks for that tip:icon29:
i also do not have running lights
so i just use lights
and the rear lights are important
i ran into a big problem over Christmas
i was driving in the Ozarks blinding sleet
and the mountain roads are real windy they wind uphill and down
and visibility is not good but i could not use my brights
because of blinding other oncoming drivers
i was glad when i got to my destination
even my wife put her seat belt on:icon34:
H

Odie
January 6th, 2010, 07:12
When I lived in the Dallas TX area, I was always amazed at how people handled the icy roads. Dallas rarely gets snow, it's mostly ice and usually it's a thick enough layer to ice over the roads. And unless there was a little snow or frost mixed in with it, it quickly became "black ice", which is nasty because you don't have a clue that you're on it until the vehicle tries to move and you're suddenly sliding!

But, you'd still see people trying to drive 60mph like they were on dry streets. I'd just move to the far side of the road and let them pass....

jmig
January 6th, 2010, 09:07
snip...
Re lights, I agree everything that has been said, with one proviso. It is the fashion here for the boyracers to drive around all the time with fog lights on, regardless of the conditions. Most of these schmucks don't even know this is actually illegal, because those things are mounted so low they blind other drivers.......

Lefty, I don't know what you mean by "fog" lights? But here in the states they are mounted low to the ground. The projected light stays low and doesn't get reflected by into the driver's face by the fog/snow. The reason high beams blind you is that they are projected higher in order to reach further.

I don't think fog lights will blind oncoming drivers?

Henry
January 6th, 2010, 09:31
Lefty, I don't know what you mean by "fog" lights? But here in the states they are mounted low to the ground. The projected light stays low and doesn't get reflected by into the driver's face by the fog/snow. The reason high beams blind you is that they are projected higher in order to reach further.

I don't think fog lights will blind oncoming drivers?
i will have to turn mine on and have a look
mine are low to the ground
H

Snuffy
January 6th, 2010, 09:43
Lets make sure you guys are talking apples to apples here ...

There are such things as "driving lights" (different from your normal headlights and very similar to "fog" lights.)

Driving lights are also supposed to be mounted low ... their intent is to provide higher brightness for visibility as well as width and distance. The proviso here is that you can use your normal headlights with driving lights as an aide.

"Fog" lights are also some what brighter than your stock running lights but their being mounted low is intended to circumvent the glare a driver normally gets from his stock headlights proper use of fog lights recommend that you turn your normal headlights off and use the lower mounted beams to reduce glare.

If its a fanboy craze happening in Scotland, my bet is that the lights in question are driving lights, which are much brighter than normal headlights and can be blinding.

For the record, fog lights can blind too.

Dain Arns
January 6th, 2010, 09:54
And...

Most folks that add their own fog/driving lamps are often unaware that they are required by most states to be turned off when using the high beams.
Some states you are only permitted to have two additional lamps along with the low beams. Any other lamps, as say for off-road use, must be covered.

Henry
January 6th, 2010, 10:00
now in totally confused :isadizzy:
my fog lamps will only come on when my main lights are on
i do not have driving lights
as most of my driving is in the city
or interstate i never need to use high beams
i guess i will have to try my foglamps
and see if i get a ticket or a finger or shot :icon_lol:
H

n4gix
January 6th, 2010, 10:01
I throughly detest the "bright blue halogen" lights that're common on new cars. They are blinding even when on "low-beam" setting! :kilroy:

lefty
January 6th, 2010, 10:02
Most standard-equipment low-mounted lights are deemed to be 'fog lights'. Our Highway Code specifically states they should not be used other than in conditions of restricted visibilty. How far this is backed up in law I know not.

Re low-mounted lights - there has always been regulation of this, hence all the rage for pop-up lights on Elans, Corvettes, Toyotas, etc etc. The reason for a minimum lamp mounting height is to avoid glare to oncoming drivers. Sounds pretty basic to me - call 'em driving lights if you like, they're still illegal other than in fog..

It is obviously not only Scots who fail to grasp this !!

Henry
January 6th, 2010, 10:04
I throughly detest the "bright blue halogen" lights that're common on new cars. They are blinding even when on "low-beam" setting! :kilroy:
you and me both!
H

Dain Arns
January 6th, 2010, 10:29
now in totally confused :isadizzy:
my fog lamps will only come on when my main lights are on
i do not have driving lights
as most of my driving is in the city
or interstate i never need to use high beams
i guess i will have to try my foglamps
and see if i get a ticket or a finger or shot :icon_lol:
H

Sounds like you are okay to me, Henry.

Some folks around here, and truck drivers, use driving lights as well. Lots of critters crossing the roads, can't blame them.
I never really had an issue with them when I was on the road, as long as they were being used properly and were aimed right.
I stopped and chatted with the one's who weren't.

Think more about this, I suppose some out there don't know what the difference is. Here's a quick description I found:

Driving lights work with your hi-beams for greater visibility at longer distances. They project a long, narrow beam of light in a variety of patterns which greatly extend your range of view.

Fog lights work together with your low-beams to improve your visibility in foul weather, such as fog, rain, snow and mist. They emit a low, wide pattern of light that's designed to shine below the haze. This reduces the amount of blinding glare that occurs when you turn on your hi-beams in foggy weather.Annoying for me are folks that use their high-beams in fog and poor weather. They don't realize how much that cuts your ability to see things in the distance.
All your looking at is a blinding white sheet. :kilroy:

sandar
January 6th, 2010, 12:28
Fog lights or driving lights are deliberately set to shine to the kerb, so the nearside light illuminates the nearest kerb and the offside across the road, it is this one that dazzles oncoming drivers. They are for poor visibility caused by bad weather, not for normal night time use.

I got stopped by the police early on Christmas day for using my fog lights in patchy fog. see my post So, how was your Christmas? (http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?t=28437)

Gdavis101
January 6th, 2010, 12:35
I think people are like that everywhere.. Back in the 96 storms on the West Coast of the States I handed out ALOT of tickets for obscuring license plate, lights etc.. because people were just plain lazy and they all said the same thing, "it will melt off".. Shoot, I carried a broom in my car to clean my vehicle off after my shift.. As far as the fog lights go, that was a gimme.. There wasnt a lot of fog where I was at and most guys I stopped said they just turned them on to look cool.

Sandar, I think a little common sense of the cops part would have been in order there...

Henry
January 6th, 2010, 12:39
great story!
missed that one
mind you always be nice to a police ocifer
they have more power
and big feet:icon_lol:
LOL
H

sandar
January 6th, 2010, 12:49
great story!
missed that one
mind you always be nice to a police ocifer
they have more power
and big feet:icon_lol:
LOL
H

Henry, If I called a police oficer a police ocifer, I would get breathalyed again :mixedsmi:

Henry
January 6th, 2010, 13:07
Henry, If I called a police oficer a police ocifer, I would get breathalyed again :mixedsmi:
I know, been there done that:icon_lol:
my pic is probably still on the wall of the Norfolk constabulary:kilroy:
H

srgalahad
January 6th, 2010, 15:27
I once, years ago, did a survey to find regulations regarding aftermarket lights. I was doing a lot of mountain driving at night (rallying) and didn't want to get busted for illegal lights.

As you might guess, just about every jurisdiction had different rules about allowing them, mounting them, using them. Common items were that any additional lights had to be mounted below the centerline of normal low-beam headlights, could not be used in conjunction with high-beams except off-road, fogs (usually) had to be on a separate circuit and not used with headlights... but check your local laws.
PROPER Fog lights have a very flat topline to prevent back-glare and a wide beam pattern.
PROPER "driving lights" have a long, narrow beam to maximize distance.
We found some 90% of the lights used on 'casual use' rally cars were not mounted properly (rigidly) or not aimed properly (and this needs to be checked OFTEN as even a snowbank will knock them out of line) or were improperly switched.

The newer cars that have them, have them for the sex appeal, not for a practical use (they are lousy, cheap lights) and the owners don't care.. heck, most people don't even know they need to align their normal headlights now and then.

Back in the day of 'universal headlights' the SAE had rules regarding the beam paterns... now that it's an aerodynamic issue, the manufacturers rule the roost and some factory lights are deadly... but oh how "neat" they look.

Best story ever was the night (about 2 AM) we were sitting in a highway rest stop. saw a car pull in and the driver went inside. A few minutes later a semi pulled in, parked, the driver got out and walked over to the car. Couple of mins later he walked back to his truck, then came in and sat in the next booth. My buddy asked if the car was ok... he said:
"yep.. NOW it is... he followed me for a hundred miles with his high beams on, but he'll be ok once he gets his lights replaced in the morning when the garage opens." :icon_lol:

Rob

srgalahad
January 6th, 2010, 15:39
my pic is probably still on the wall of the Norfolk constabulary:kilroy:
H

You mean this one Henry?????

Henry
January 6th, 2010, 15:44
You mean this one Henry?????
:icon_lol:
H

srgalahad
January 11th, 2010, 11:58
Sunday's paper included this... bring back any memories?

GT182
January 11th, 2010, 12:35
Sandar, as to clearing off windows covered with snow and/or ice, it's the same here in the States. Too many idiots that do not clean them off. They can get a fine for it... if the cops feel like getting out af a nice warm patrol car to issue a ticket. But.... they will do it on occasion.

I used to have a set of 55 watt CIBIE driving lights on my 71 Camaro back in the 70s and 80s. Also I could change out the lenes to fog light if needed. Back in '74 I used them to see in a blinding snow storm on I-81 from Rt 104 in NY to my parents home iin Massena, NY. I'd turn out my headlights and run with only my tail lights and the CIBIEs on. I could see great, it was as if it wasn't even snowing with those buggers on. With just the headlights on I couldn't see 2 feet in front of me. But I was the only one on the highway, and if I had met anyone coming at me I'd have turned them off and turned my headlights back on. Driving and fog lights have their place when needed, but some idiots think it's cute to have them on when not needed.

Then there were the ones that put aircraft landing lights in in place of their high beams (older round headlights).... but I won't get into that discussion. ;)

Henry
January 11th, 2010, 12:52
Many Many years ago i remember
some clip on lights for driving abroad
as the UK drives on the left
when driving on the continent the lights shone on the other side
causing all kinds of problems
not counting the ones where henry was in the passenger seat
with a spare steering wheel out of the window
shouting help!:icon_lol:
no worries i have grown up:isadizzy:
H

GT182
January 11th, 2010, 13:13
no worries i have grown up:isadizzy:
H

No why in the world would you want to do a thing like that Henry? :173go1: Age is only a pigment of your imagination. Yes I spelt it that way on porpoise in case you're wondering. ;)

Odie
January 11th, 2010, 13:16
I think people are like that everywhere.. Back in the 96 storms on the West Coast of the States I handed out ALOT of tickets for obscuring license plate, lights etc.. because people were just plain lazy and they all said the same thing, "it will melt off".. Shoot, I carried a broom in my car to clean my vehicle off after my shift.. As far as the fog lights go, that was a gimme.. There wasnt a lot of fog where I was at and most guys I stopped said they just turned them on to look cool.

Sandar, I think a little common sense of the cops part would have been in order there...

I was out running around today and we've had about 14 inches of snow the past few days and I saw a pickup truck that was completely snow-free except for that dip in the back bumper where the license plate is! There was a perfect mound of snow hiding it.

mfitch
January 11th, 2010, 13:38
Naturally a forum of pilots (at least sim pilots) will spot all of these driving errors. Pilots are required to understand a modicrum of physics and chemistry. Many of those bad drivers are actually not aware, and many not capable of understanding, the physical science and calculations we do automatically. I teach some of these concepts for a living, so I have a reasonably large sample set from which to draw this conclusion.

The new "blue" lights I find interesting. Many people report them being a problem. I find them much easier on my eyes. I have no conjecture on why one pair of eyes would react differently from another though I might guess it to be physiological (my eye sight it better than 20/20 uncorrected with no color limitations, so that offers no clue).