PDA

View Full Version : REX Haze

falcon409
January 5th, 2010, 08:06
Someone asked a question in the other thread I started after purchasing REX (REX-Newcomer). They asked how REX handled the haze layer in FSX. This morning I took a flight from Islesboro, Maine down to Plum Island. Normally, in haze driven by the FSX engine, if I got to several thousand feet, I could break out into bright sunlight and the ground would still appear hazy. Go another thousand feet or so and the ground would lose the haze and appear to be clear completely.

These shots are of my approach and landing into Plum Island. I flew from Islesboro to Plum at 4000'. From take off at Islesboro through the climb out and decent, the haze layer would get increasingly more dense in appearance as the ground would disappear from view. I climbed to 6000 at one point, knowing I could break out of the layer of haze but never did. . .I settled at 4000' and continued the trip. At about 10nm from the airport I began a slow decent to Plum, easing back on the power to about 50kts. At 3nm I went to 1 notch of flaps and an airspeed of around 45kts which put me on final and touchdown was at around stall speed. Never did the haze fluctuate. I never hit levels where the haze disappeared. It was with me from start to finish. I can't say I enjoy flying any great distance like that because other than instruments, you have no other outside references to judge attitude or altitude. Having said that, it was great practice.

I hope that answers the question about how REX handles the haze, lol. I was impressed.:salute:

letsgetrowdy
January 5th, 2010, 08:10
Does this add-on have an impact on frame rates?

paiken
January 5th, 2010, 08:24
Depends on your system. If you have the hi def clouds selected, then you need to make sure your system can handle it. That said, I have a very average system, and have noticed an actual increase in frames, especially when flying in the clouds. Your mileage may vary, but you will never be disappointed with this add on.

6297J
January 5th, 2010, 09:09
Thank you falcon409 - it was me who asked the question.

This is the first time I've seen the effects of the haze layer in REX2 mentioned anywhere!

Looks impressive indeed. Thanks again!

falcon409
January 5th, 2010, 09:11
Thank you falcon409 - it was me who asked the question.
This is the first time I've seen the effects of the haze layer in REX2 mentioned anywhere!
Looks impressive indeed. Thanks again!
NP, I posted a reference to this thread for you in the other "Newcomer" thread just in case you checked there, but that one's been quiet for several days now. Anyway, yea it was very impressive.:salute:

FAC257
January 5th, 2010, 14:08
Falcon

Have you been able to get a shot of how the haze layer looks from altitude looking dwon to where it intersects hills and mountains? I haven't been able to catch that effect yet.

FAC

falcon409
January 5th, 2010, 16:24
Falcon
Have you been able to get a shot of how the haze layer looks from altitude looking down to where it intersects hills and mountains? I haven't been able to catch that effect yet.
FAC
Neither have I. I can tell you that in the few instances where I passed over mountainous areas it was not like the default. I have yet to see any peaks sticking up out of the haze, since the layering seems to completely surround them. I'll be flying a bit more here in a few minutes, so I'll set up a flight to see if I can catch REX sleeping on the job, lol.

tigisfat
January 5th, 2010, 21:45
I didn't know REX fixed this. Can you do another thread just like this one about the water? Does it downsize the waves? My biggets pet peeve about FSX are the massive waves that move at a hundred miles an hour.

Kiwikat
January 5th, 2010, 21:48
I didn't know REX fixed this. Can you do another thread just like this one about the water? Does it downsize the waves? My biggets pet peeve about FSX are the massive waves that move at a hundred miles an hour.

Most of the waves included with REX are also massive...

It is really annoying seeing 20 foot swells on the great lakes and other smaller lakes and rivers.

falcon409
January 6th, 2010, 07:29
Tigi,
The water is one area that I was not real happy with. I actually like the default FSX water action and appearance better. The REX water looks too perfect, too glassy. That's even after I downloaded the updated water ENV textures on their site. I figured someone must have realized how poor they looked and corrected it. Nope, lol, I have yet to see anything in the sim that matches the screen shots they show.

I'm overall very happy with the product, but the water shots were something I was really anxious to experience and that part has been a real bust so far.

spotlope
January 6th, 2010, 07:40
There are a lot of wave options in REX 2.0. Have you guys tried all of them? I've found everything from massive waves to glassy, still water.

Cazzie
January 6th, 2010, 08:48
Like Bill said, I didn;t get the wave action to my liking until I ghad gone through five wave options, same for inland water color, which I colored myself using the saturation, hue, and brightness options in REX. I have no problems with the haze, matter of fact, I flew the Edge from Danville to Richmond, no aeros, just point and run. Used natural weather conditions, just a few clouds, but at ground level, like the real thing, the evaporation haze from the frosty ground lowered viewing quite a bit.

Caz