PDA

View Full Version : the sunny south!

Henry
January 5th, 2010, 07:39
t appears that Caddo and Bossier Parishes are in for potential record breaking cold temperatures for Wednesday evening through Sunday afternoon, Jan 6-10, 2010<o:p></o:p> <o:p></o:p>
This event is sitting up to be the coldest weather we have experienced since 1996.<o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
At this time the sub freezing temperatures are predicted to arrive in Caddo-Bossier at 0600 hours on Thursday, 7 January. <o:p></o:p>
The jury remains out as to potential winter precipitation, however at this time the prediction is for rainfall of ¼ to ½ inch on Wednesday preceding below freezing temps. This will reduce the potential for icing of trees and power lines; however any standing water will freeze on surfaces. “Black Ice” on roads, bridges and overpasses can be expected beginning Thursday morning and remaining a continuing problem thru Sunday. <o:p></o:p>
The real issue with this system is that we may stay BELOW FREEZING FOR UP TO 48 HOURS!<o:p></o:p>
Along with the sub zero weather we can expect winds up to 20 mph making the chill factor near zero Degrees. <o:p></o:p>
For Thursday, 7 January we may see temperatures dropping into the teens during the day and remaining there throughout Thursday night. Friday, 8 January highs will be in the 20’s; Saturday 9 January morning lows of 10-12 degrees with highs in the 20’s. Sunday, 10 January morning lows in the teens and finally getting above freezing on Sunday afternoon. <o:p></o:p>
Elevated structures such as mobile homes and pier/beam constructed houses can expect unprotected water pipes to freeze and possible burst. Water mains may also freeze and burst causing reduced water pressure in systems. <o:p></o:p>
All agencies should prepare facilities and equipment for this extended sub-freezing weather and inform all employees so they can take precautions for their families and personal property.

now where did i put my sweaters:icon_lol:
H

Terry
January 5th, 2010, 08:07
Quick, fill the smudge pots and save the fruit trees!

Reddog
January 5th, 2010, 08:10
Global Warming you know:bump:

srgalahad
January 5th, 2010, 08:21
Hang on Henry! I'll send you some of my old summer jackets!
(my winter parkas will be too warm for those mild temps :icon_lol: )

Yeah, I know it's cold when you're not used to it... like coming back from Mexico last month +27*C (81*F) when we got on the plane and -27*C (-17*F) when we got off at home :kilroy: four hours later.

Odie
January 5th, 2010, 08:39
Henry...forget the sweaters...bring in a supply of Cobb's BBQ before the roads ice over....that'll see you through the cold snap !! :mixedsmi:

Snuffy
January 5th, 2010, 12:16
If conditions come together later this week (jan04 - jan07/jan08) J'ville FLA could see a mix of ice/snow, snow, or just ice if not all rain.

I'm hopin for the snow!! :jump:

Chacha
January 5th, 2010, 12:25
If conditions come together later this week (jan04 - jan07/jan08) J'ville FLA could see a mix of ice/snow, snow, or just ice if not all rain.

I'm hopin for the snow!! :jump:

I live south of Jacksonville, Snuffy...

And right now we have 47ºF.... Our low tonight will be 28ºF... (that's below freezing!)

Not complaining though .... but this is the longest winter I have ever experienced here in Orlando...

Our winter days are like 3 days a week.... and back to 70ºF .... :pop4:

Crusader
January 5th, 2010, 13:31
Henry , I have a good bottle of Brandy to send ya !

Rich:guinness:

Mobayrasta
January 5th, 2010, 13:38
Just make sure you stock up on gumbo, jambalaya, etouffee, and fried catfish. You should make it through just fine.

JoeW
January 6th, 2010, 00:58
Mobay ...... You forgot the "Hoppin John".

stansdds
January 6th, 2010, 02:03
5/6 of the U.S. is experiencing very cold temperatures right now and it's expected to stay that way through the weekend.

jmig
January 6th, 2010, 03:48
Henry, find a good book...or better...a good friend and just stay under the covers. :bump:

Cazzie
January 6th, 2010, 04:24
I would like some snow to go with the cold, so I could get some sledding exercise in. I really like cold Winters, especially if it snows. I would get some cross-country skis if we had snow on the ground Winter long. I did that a lot in the hills of NC in the Winters of my wicked youth. It complements cycling, which I am not getting "any" of these days.

But I love the freshness of cold air when you breathe it, no pollens, no spores, no smoke in the dry cold we have here, because it all rises. Right now, I wish I had my ice skates back too, got rid of them thirty years ago. I'd probably bust my butt trying to find my youth, but the local small ponds (depth less than 6-feet) are frozen enough to skate on.

You folks in the extreme south-east are just not use to this transition. Truth is, we're not either in south-side VA. We may have a cold Winter like this once every ten years. The last was 96/96, before that 84/84 and 86/87. 86/87 saw the deepest snows on record, 24-inches in one storm, 36-inches total accumulation for the Winter. The Winter of 76/77 was the coldest on record, however. For the entire month of January and the first three weeks of February, temperates did not rise above freezing. All of the farm ponds were frozen, it was the last time I used my ice skates in the outdoors under natural conditions. Hyco Lake was frozen enough in the shallows to drive a car on. There was little work, there was a lot of play. I loved that Winter. We had about 22-inches of cold, powdery snow that Winter also, it was a Winter Wonderland.

Caz

Lord, I bequest thee, bringeth me some snow to go with this cold air.

Snuffy
January 6th, 2010, 04:32
Well I'm originally from Buffalo and fortunately I'm still blessed with my Northern body temperature so this little bit of a nip doesn't bother me much at all. But it is funny to watch the local natives here in NE FLA.

I lived in Mechanincsville, VA from 80 to 99 and witnessed some of the snows that you mention Caz. In fact it was the 89 snow that prompted me to buy my wheel-horse 20hp rider with a 4 foot blade. In 89 we got 24 inches of snow, the subdivision was socked in and was not passible ... the county (Hanover) had no idea when they were going to get to the area to clean ... I jumped in my 4x4 drove to the wheel-horse dealer, bought the tractor and blade, went home and then proceded to be paid by almost every resident in the neighborhood to plow drives as I moved snow off the subdivisions streets.

I must have put over 50 hours on that lawn tractor and blade that year. :icon_lol:

papab
January 6th, 2010, 04:39
Tampa,Fl

8:37 A.M.--25.6 degrees!!!!!!

CG_1976
January 6th, 2010, 06:24
No one gets my parka its a balmy -22F / -39F windchill right now Sunday were forecasted -50F windchill and maybe colder. That'll be the day to get some fishing in along with beer:mixedsmi:.