PDA

View Full Version : UKMIL Nimrod AEW

ijay
January 5th, 2010, 06:11
She may be one of the ugliest aircraft ever made, and this model certainly captures her looks.
Well done Gaffer and all concerned.:applause::applause:

Little bit of cropping and colour adjustment in P/shop

euroastar350
January 5th, 2010, 06:38
Is this A/C FSX native or a port-over?

falcon409
January 5th, 2010, 07:20
It does look like maybe early on in the development it had a chance to be a rather striking aircraft design, but then they gave up on that and just went with functional, lol.

Quixoticish
January 5th, 2010, 07:31
It does look like maybe early on in the development it had a chance to be a rather striking aircraft design, but then they gave up on that and just went with functional, lol.

I don't think there was much design thought given to it other than to stick more bits onto the existing Nimrod to be honest.

Bjoern
January 5th, 2010, 12:24

Well, it's based on the faithful Comet design...which itself wasn't a nominee for the beauty award.

IanP
January 5th, 2010, 13:23
Most people who have described it have said that the Comet was a very attractive aircraft, Bjoern... It does always come down to personal choice, though.

The thing about the Nimrod AEW was that in spite of its drawbacks, the ruddy thing worked and a was a technical marvel. Typically British though, all that made it work was probably some bailing twine, electrical tape and a lump of 2x4. The problem was that it was just going to cost so much to actually finish development on and the Boeing offering was so much cheaper that it was on a hiding to nothing pretty much right from the start.

I mean apart from us weird types in the soggy isles, who else would serious try and link two radars together to provide a single scan... Anyone? Seriously? :icon_lol:

calypsos
January 5th, 2010, 13:52
That project cost the UK taxpayers almost as much as those retched 'wide boy, selfish bankers in the City did. A pile of dog's doo, both of them turned out to be, the Nimrod radar could get confused between incoming Russian jets and trucks driving along the M6 motorway!!!!

Roger
January 5th, 2010, 13:56
I heard a story that the intercom was based on a design in "Practical Wireless" magazine using 741 op amps.:isadizzy:

Bjoern
January 5th, 2010, 14:13
Most people who have described it have said that the Comet was a very attractive aircraft, Bjoern...

Most people are wrong anyways. :icon_lol:

(I have a really hard time finding most british designs beautiful. If you say "Spitfire" now I'll spend thousands of Euros and hours to invent a device for poking you in the eye through the internet just for that. x( ;) :d)

IanP
January 5th, 2010, 14:21
Hawker Hunter. And you're just biased, anyway. :P ;)

Any yes calypsos, but there's an enduring urban legend that the USAF rapidly hushed up one of the Nimrod testbeds happily tracking a supposedly undetectable stealth demonstration flight for several hundred miles.

Whether it's true or not I don't know, but it's a good story. :d

michael davies
January 5th, 2010, 14:57
trucks driving along the M6 motorway!!!!

Oddly I recal reading somewhere that the Americans spent a lot of money on inventing a system to do just that, I believe J Stars is designed to do just that, track ground vehicles ?.

Lewis-A2A
January 5th, 2010, 15:06

Any yes calypsos, but there's an enduring urban legend that the USAF rapidly hushed up one of the Nimrod testbeds happily tracking a supposedly undetectable stealth demonstration flight for several hundred miles.

ive yet to meet a service guy that didnt have a laugh about that one, something along the lines of 'hey whats that?' 'Get the f&^% out of our airspace now'

Bjoern
January 5th, 2010, 16:20
Hawker Hunter.

Borderline.

Tempest II, TSR, Vanguard, EAP, (Tonka), (Jag) are better, my favourite being the EAP.

Oddly I recal reading somewhere that the Americans spent a lot of money on inventing a system to do just that, I believe J Stars is designed to do just that, track ground vehicles ?.

Yep.

IanP
January 6th, 2010, 10:28
It's the "being able to tell the difference" bit that was the problem. However, it probably wouldn't have taken much to make that work, in reality.

On the other hand, those Nimrod airframes are now seriously way past their should-have-been-retired-by-now date, whether you love them, loathe them or are utterly indifferent about them. Although the same could be said for the B707, could it not?

Matt Wynn
January 6th, 2010, 11:02
lets not forget the Brabazon Ian, that was a beauty, ok british designs that are beautiful... Harrier, Hawk..

i'm one of the strange few who finds the Nimrod an attractive airframe, :icon_lol:

peter12213
January 6th, 2010, 11:03
So am I, I think its a lovely aircraft I even like the AEW version, and I find the Comet just gorgeous too!

SkippyBing
January 6th, 2010, 11:07
Although the same could be said for the B707, could it not?

I don't know, I think the last 707 airframes produced were for the UK E-3 fleet so they're certainly a lot newer than even the shinest of the Nimrods.

centuryseries
January 6th, 2010, 11:30
And no-one mentions Vulcan?!! Surely thats a beautiful design too? :ernae:

d0mokun
January 6th, 2010, 11:33
I see your Vulcan and raise you a Victor, good sir.

IanP
January 6th, 2010, 11:39
Never liked the Victor. The front end looks silly. Like a 1920s cartoon spaceship.

The Valiant was quite nice, though. Vulcan...? Impressive. I wouldn't say beautiful, but exceptionally striking and impressive.

Roger
January 6th, 2010, 11:48
To me the Vulcan is as beautiful and impressive as the Lancaster. I remember seeing maybe 20 of them passing overhead in 82, bound for Avro Woodford (just up the road) for bomb rack modifications for the Stanley mission.

peter12213
January 6th, 2010, 12:04
Victor, Valiant and Vulcan I personally loved them all and Roger that must have been a sight to behold mate!:salute:

Tweek
January 6th, 2010, 13:03
Nimrods are lovely old things. Elegant shape, loud, and smoky as hell (gotta love the Spey). Vulcans, Victors, Jaguars, Hunters - also lovely!

Quixoticish
January 6th, 2010, 13:48
Never liked the Victor. The front end looks silly. Like a 1920s cartoon spaceship.

Whilst I wouldn't describe it's delightful avant-garde stylings as a "1920's cartoon spaceship" it certainly has a healthy dose of retro-futurism about it, it wouldn't look out of place in Flash Gordon.

And that is precisely why I love it so.

spotlope
January 6th, 2010, 14:19
I think the Comet is one of the most graceful tubeliners to ever take wing. The only thing that holds it back a bit is the old-school tail, but that's part of its charm as well. Then again, I was raised in an Anglophile household by a Jag-loving father. ;)

This bird? Looks like a Comet that's developed some rather advanced tumors. I hope the surgery goes well...

Roger
January 6th, 2010, 14:34
I have to apologise to ijay for going so off topic! I have the UKMIL Nimrod and it's a well done model:applause::engel016: Mea culpa!

CG_1976
January 6th, 2010, 14:49
I just love the UKMIL Nimrod. I think its a beautiful aircraft. They have earned there place with the RAF.

UKVoodoo
January 6th, 2010, 14:52
Im going opposite end of the scale I loved the fugly Buccaneer and just how well UK pilots pushed it lower then humanly possible

As for the Nimrod AEW I loved this version compared to the currant MR2 and MR4 versions :running:

Matt Wynn
January 6th, 2010, 15:29
yeah all the nimrods have a home on my sim i love them all, and bucc... now theres a beautiful aircraft! :kilroy:

ijay
January 7th, 2010, 02:26
I have to apologise to ijay for going so off topic! I have the UKMIL Nimrod and it's a well done model:applause::engel016: Mea culpa!
No problem, I have all the UKMIL Nimrods,all of which will have a permanent place on my hard drive. I have a particular fondness for the Nimrod as i live close to Newquay Airport which, as RAF ST.Mawgan was home to 42 Squadron who flew Nimrods so they were a regular sight in the skies around here. The Comet was a beautiful aircraft as is the Nimrod, but the AEW version just doesn't "do it" for me!
One of my favourite things about SOH is the way the discussions tend to go off topic:isadizzy:

centuryseries
January 7th, 2010, 14:13
At the Waddington airshow last year one of the crew men was showing off the camera pod under the wing's display inside the cabin and I was amazed at how they have crammed in a fair amount of new technology into such an old airframe, I guess on that level it's comparable to that other veteran that never dies, the B-52.

It's just a shame that we didn't see sense and buy an off the shelf airliner and refit it to do the same job, rather than soldier on with an airframe with old tech problems.

Still I love it :mixedsmi:

Lanc123
December 30th, 2012, 10:25

Speaking as an ex Nimrod AEW flight test observer, I can confirm that it is not urban legend but true, as I was on board at the time. Though it was not 700 miles it was significant.
Shame it was cancelled as at the time the program had finally managed to iron out the major bugs caused by the changing RAF baseline specifications.