PDA

View Full Version : Window 7 64bit blues.

SirBenn21
January 5th, 2010, 03:05
Just an update.

Been installing my PC since 31/12/2009 and thought I finally got it right!
Don't get me wrong FSX runs a treat, but Rise of flight and LOMAC: Flaming Cliffs have a problem.
Now this problem I had on WIN7 rc 32bit, but it happened only maybe once or twice a month. Now I can't bet LOMAC to run more than 2-3 mins and ROF just enters the Main Menu Screen and then my computer just restarts! :blind:
I've tried setting chances, bios default resets, running in compatibility mode and my mind just hurts thinking I might need to reformat AGAIN to Win7 32bit where at least I had no real problems.
I'm starting to think it's maybe Motherboard related.

Can anyone please give me some suggestions.

I'm just tierd right now. I'm going to bed. :frown:

Ben

IanHenry
January 5th, 2010, 05:15
Just a thought Ben, have you tried turning off UAC? I know that it gave me some problems with Rise of Flight and my Track IR.

Regards,
Ian.

Bjoern
January 5th, 2010, 12:22
A shut down in stress situations sounds like overheating or a faulty/weak PSU to me.
Have you investigated into those things?

Then again....x86 apparently runs fine and x64 doesn't...hmm...

Snuffy
January 5th, 2010, 12:25
Try running your system at standard clockspeed and not overclocked.

(IF you're not overclocked please disreguard this comment!)

SirBenn21
January 5th, 2010, 20:52
A shut down in stress situations sounds like overheating or a faulty/weak PSU to me.
Have you investigated into those things?

Then again....x86 apparently runs fine and x64 doesn't...hmm...

Yip UAC is turned off. Looks like x86 gives me way less problems and I have turned off OCing.

Funny thing is FSX is running really good, which is so frustrating. This is so unfair! :banghead:

I'm going to try for one more evening and then I'll have to go back to 32bit. What a shame. :crybaby:

Ben

SirBenn21
January 6th, 2010, 04:25
I re-installed Win7 32bit and the problem is still there.

But this time I have found a new element to the story.

ROF works fine now only in windowed mode! Put it in Full Screen and I get an instant hard PC reboot. I even tried to catch it by disabling auto restart for problems, but it's so quick it does not even have time to "Blue Screen"
I tried ATI Drivers back to 9.10.

Anymore suggestions before I go back to WIN7 64bit.

Ben

moore1018
January 6th, 2010, 04:36
I'm sure it's been considered, but this almost sounds like a power supply issue to me. Either a bad supply or an underpowered one. Just a thought.

Bjoern
January 6th, 2010, 10:01
Anymore suggestions before I go back to WIN7 64bit.

Check cooling and the PSU.

SirBenn21
January 6th, 2010, 10:51
All temps good. all below 40'C

and I have a 720Watt power supply.

Ben

Bjoern
January 6th, 2010, 11:11
and I have a 720Watt power supply

Well known manufacturer or a cheap one?

Lionheart
January 6th, 2010, 11:21
I hope you get it figured out Ben.

Can you call Microsoft and see what they think? They might have a fix of some sort of something you can try.

Bill

jetstreamsky
January 7th, 2010, 15:27
I'm sure it's been considered, but this almost sounds like a power supply issue to me. Either a bad supply or an underpowered one. Just a thought.

I second that opinion, the shutdowns sound exactly what I was experiencing with a power supply simply not up to the job.

Zoren
January 7th, 2010, 15:36
Ben,

A couple of things.

1.) LOMAC uses StarForce (or something like that, not sure of the exact name as I am on my laptop not my Win 7 box). I found you have to load a patch for the software to re-configure the protection application for Win 7. I'll double check later tonight.

2.) ROF - I have run the demo with no problems and purchased the key and works fine as well. Go to the ROF site and enter the forums. In there I remember reading something about Win7 and ensuring you have all the correct applications in place. Things like .Net V##, C++ redist, etc...

http://riseofflight.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=5688

**** Taken From ROF Site *******

Dear friends!

There are two big celebrations coming up: Christmas and New Year.
Most of us will buy a new modern PC, wouldn’t you?
For the present time, almost every modern PC has a Windows 7 – 64 bit OS as a default. While we are working on software compatibility, which may take a time, me, as Community Manager, going to ask you to do a favor for all of us:

- here, in this thread (no off topic and useless emotions), please, post all useful advices about ROF and Windows 7 setup, which most of you have found by yourself already.

Then, when we will collect all needed stuff, I will write a clear FAQ and post it in “FAQ and Instructions” section in our Forum, so, will make it easier for a new community members within a celebration holydays period.

As an example, below the post how it should look like.
Q: Could anyone help me? I just installed Rise Of Flight on Windows7 and cannot start it. The following message pops up: "The program can´t be started because the programs side by side configuration is faulty"
A: Try to run "As Administrator". Make sure not installing RoF onto your OS partition in "program files" but install the game to another partition or drive. You need to install Microsoft VC++ 2005 Redistributable, which may be downloaded from Microsoft site or found in 3rd_party folder on game dvd (vcredist_x86.exe). If you start it and Windows says error 740, then run this executable under Administrator privileges (right mouse button click on vcredist_x86.exe, choose Start “As Administrator” in drop-down menu). You may need install manually, .NET 3.5 and DirectX 9 as well from game disk or downloaded archive, if game or settings crashes on start.

Thank you all in advance!

Try that out....

Like I said, I'll double check my sim computer for the StarForce fix.

Zoren
January 7th, 2010, 15:45
Hi Ben,

First link is how I got IL-2 1946 to work, maybe this will fix LOMAC:

http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/49310655/m/2861000908

Second, if not try this place:

http://www.sevenforums.com/gaming/12127-lock-flaming-cliffs-wont-start.html

I haven't read all of the Win7 Forum to see what it suggest.

PS. Forgot to mention, I use Win7 64-bit as well.

SirBenn21
January 7th, 2010, 21:24
Thanks Zoren very much.

I'm still busy installing all my programs on my freshly installed WIN7 64bit. I'll give the links you posted a go and see if it helps.
I think my CHEAP power supply is also a possible culprit, so I'll be placing an order for Zalman ZM750-HP 750W (http://www.spotit.com.au/products/22549_Zalman_ZM750_HP_750W_Power_Supply.aspx).

Thanks

Ben

Bjoern
January 8th, 2010, 12:56
I think my CHEAP power supply is also a possible culprit

Yep.

If it can't deliver the required amps, it's useless.

hey_moe
January 8th, 2010, 13:16
Have you tried to boot into safe mode with a internet connection. Also did you use MS to format your drive? If you did the MS software always leaves left over on the hard drive. I have been using W7/64 and it hasn't missed a beat...Mike

EgoR64
January 8th, 2010, 13:44
Hi,

I remember I had an Issue with 64 bit Vista when trying to run WOV and Pacific Fighters, So I just carved out enough space on my hard drive to run both Operating systems 32-bit and 64-bit OS, on the 64-bit I had FSX Running and whenever I wanted to run WOV or Pacific Fighters, I just booted into the 32-bit.

I run everything on one partition now 64-bit Win 7 -

Maybe just a last resort, I have not tried either on my rig, I may have to give Lomac a Shot, I bet it would run quite nice on my I7 - ROF should run fine on 64bit, so you may have a hardware issue.

Cheers -

SirBenn21
January 8th, 2010, 22:01
Yip it's defiantly the Power supply.

I borrowed one that I knew was better and it WORKS !!!!!!! :jump::mixedsmi::jump:

Now all I have to do is wait till next week to get my Zalman ZM750-HP 750W.

What a waste of time and effort though, but at least I know what it is now. Took 10 bl00dy days to figure out. Can't believe that!

Hopefully now I can get some flying time in.

Thanks again for all your help suggestions. :salute:

Ben.

guzler
January 9th, 2010, 02:51
I love a happy ending :ernae:

Zoren
January 9th, 2010, 06:00
Ben,

Good to see you found the solution. Sorry that it worked out to be something money had to fix, but at least it is fixed.

Now get back to flying.... :engel016: