PDA

View Full Version : Which cell phones are international?

aeromed202
January 4th, 2010, 18:29
This may get moved but does anybody have a handle on which new cell phones work internationally, or is that up to the carrier? My daughter wants to study abroad this summer (Ireland?) and needs to replace her current one soon. She would like one that will work in Europe and then in the States when she comes back.
Thanks.

Cloud9Gal
January 4th, 2010, 18:37
She could look into the Blackberry Global. Awesome phone! http://freesmileyface.net/smiley/Others/others-288.gif (http://freesmileyface.net/Free-Others-Smileys.html)

Chacha
January 4th, 2010, 19:48
This may get moved but does anybody have a handle on which new cell phones work internationally, or is that up to the carrier? My daughter wants to study abroad this summer (Ireland?) and needs to replace her current one soon. She would like one that will work in Europe and then in the States when she comes back.
Thanks.

Most of the phones here, you can only use it through the carrier.... unless you unlock it, there are a lot of stores that can unlock a cellphone so that you can use it with any other carrier...

Example:

The iPhone if unlocked can be use by another carrier say Verizon or T-Mobile... Phone stores know what I am talking about, you may want to give it a try...

Take note: The phone has to have a SIM card....

There is a fee for International Access... through carriers.....

My sister from Singapore has a local Singapore phone line, she can use it here in the States and anywhere she goes... around the world...

Try the local Ireland phone lines, maybe she'll get it cheaper... no contracts ... no worries... no headaches.... :bump:

Henry
January 5th, 2010, 05:58
i use my t mobile slim phone
in Europe but it can be expensive
i have a deal with my land line
and pay 8 cents for a minute to call Europe
but my cell is still calling from a US#
so its long distance and i have to use the country code
to call even if i am there
best off getting a local cell
H

Chacha
January 5th, 2010, 10:24
Have you tried magic jack?

http://www.magicjack.com/7/index.asp

It can work anywhere, it just need an internet connection since it will not work with out a computer....

It is a phone that is connected to the computer...

But if you call 911, they will not be able to trace the call to your home...

Henry
January 5th, 2010, 11:18
But if you call 911, they will not be able to trace the call to your home...
and how do you know that:monkies:
LOL
H

GypsyBaron
January 5th, 2010, 11:42
Any unloaked GSM phone coupled with a SIM card that is
either global or specific to the country will do.

I have a quad band GSM cell phone with a global SIM from
Telestial ( https://www.telestial.com/ ) that I use when
traveling outside the US. The SIM I have is prepaid and
works in a majority of the countries of the world. At least
any that I would want to travel to :)

Unlocked GSM phones can be found on EBay.

Paul

Chacha
January 5th, 2010, 11:51
Well, I should have revised that statement:

Magic Jack can call 911, like Vonage, 911 operators cannot trace the call, where the call is coming from... not like when you are calling from your home phone or when you are calling from your cellphone with GPS capabilities...

However, you can call a non emergency number and register that phone to your address, so that in case of emergency, anytime you call 911 it will register to them that you are calling from your location... did I say it clear? :running:

and how did I know that?

I attend a CPR/first aid seminar every two years, and I just renewed my CPR/first aid certificate before the holidays.... I am surprised - what I learned; is still is fresh in my mind... normally I learn things and I forget that I learned it :icon_lol: :icon_lol: :icon_lol:

They taught about calling 911 and what kind of phones does not register to their switchboard....

Henry
January 5th, 2010, 11:55
an i thought you were like me
and just did it to see what happened:icon_lol:
great info though
Thanks
H

Chacha
January 5th, 2010, 11:59
an i thought you were like me
and just did it to see what happened:icon_lol:
great info though
Thanks
H

:monkies:

You gave me a good test review there, Henry!

You knew it all along.... you are like my teacher, asking me questions and see how I can express myself.... did I learn anything, today! I think I did... My noodles are still working... :icon_lol:

Henry
January 5th, 2010, 12:46
so going to someones front door and ringing the doorbell
and running away
is not on either:isadizzy:
whatever happened to fun?:icon_lol:
H

Bjoern
January 5th, 2010, 13:36
Any quad-band phone does the trick.

I think here in the EU all you can currently get in the mobile market is quad band based; not sure about the states.