PDA

View Full Version : Eto/pto downloads

middle
January 4th, 2010, 15:18
http://aussiex.org/forum/index.php?app=downloads&showcat=10

Phil
January 30th, 2010, 16:24
A year ago, I installed ETO and PTO. There were problems. In ETO, there were file conflicts and the eras would not work. I was stuck in the first level with constant reminders of file redundancies (bong) at launch. Yet the program launched. I liked "Lily Marlene"

With PTO, there were file conflicts with bongs indicating an XP file problem. But the program still launched and landed at the air field. I liked Glenn Miller.

Yet....I installed update 1.54 for PTO and now receive a conflict sound (bong) at the last splash screen. The game goes non-responsive and now refuses to go the field. HOW DO I FIND OUT WHERE THE CONFLICT IS? I DO NOT WANT TO DO A MAJOR REINSTALL OF PTO, BECAUSE ETO...

With ETO, I grew tired of my lack of access to the ERAs. ETO was becoming a special version of CFS3, rather that a simulator. Plus some of the mission addons had murderous SDK flaws that led to file conflict panel announcements and bongs. The game still arrive at the airfield and 'Lily Marlene. Then

I decided a clean install would fix my problems. I renamed my CFS3 to CFS32 and installed a new CFS3. I printed and read the ETO/PTO instruction guide religiously (maybe).

Now it takes over two-hours to install ETO Phase I and another hour for ETO Phase I.20. Over the past three days, I have installed ETO five times. No success. So I am hoping there is a 'Grizzly' or some author who can help this wayward ETO /PTO appreciator.

I have erased the folders from My Documents and Documents and Settings that relate to ETO. I have reinstalled, with keyboard and mouse touch, both phases.

Yet ETO still launches as a 'vanilla' CFS3 with the same splash screens. Surprisingly there is NO corresponding folders in My Documents or Documents and Settings to emulate the folder being created in the M/S Games main program folder....A problem(?)

What have I missed (something obvious I think since it was a previously installed program) to lead to such recurrent frustrations.

HELP and Guidance appreciated.

grizzly50
January 30th, 2010, 17:53
:kilroy:Phil,

As it did not exist a year ago, try this: http://aussiex.org/forum/index.php?showtopic=3890

Follow it EXACTLY without trying anything overly fancy with files and folders.

Any questions...come back here.:d

Phil
January 30th, 2010, 18:44
It is a very good twenty-three page outline. I "followed" it religiously as I said. Yet appear to have failed to understand the Word. I will once again go back to "church", before I press 'del' and read it again. I even tried to run ETO 1.0 to ensure that all was setup before going to 1.20 and to ensure that "spawns" were properly set at the first historic phase. No dice. I will no longer seek to improvise or be more clever.

I will try again and report. Yet what of PTO version 1.54 that led to the after primary CFS video to the show stopping XP "bong". Do I now have to reinstall PTO after my sixth escapade with ETO?

Thank you. Pray tell.....

Phil
January 31st, 2010, 10:48
I tried to follow the OZ Words. I installed MultiCFS3 and unpacked it. I made a copy of CFS3, renaming it ETO Simulator 3. I upgraded the 'new' version to 3.1a. I flew it. I ran MultiCFS3 which FAILED. It could not recognize any existing or alternate version of CFS3, only its own name.

Since I did not use MultiCFS3, whose website claims it to be experimental, in my earlier, functional, installs of ETO. And since it was not used with PTO, MAW or KTO, I will hazard another attempt to install ETO.

Constructive ideas very welcome.

Phil
January 31st, 2010, 18:39
It is not as easy as the very exhaustive and helpful guide would imply.
On Sunday at 1700hrs, after seven hours of work and downloads, I got to the ETO 'Splash'screen. Twenty minutes later, I was at the tarmac. Four days and

So where is Lily. Where do I retrieve at least the music of the period?
I like Glenn Miller. But there was something magic about 'Lily Marlene' in the first segment. I remember a download. Does anyone remember where the music and sound addition to ETO may be located?

As I am at ZERO. How does one frankly find non-corrosive additions to ETO?

What of PTO? Is a complete reinstall of CFS3 and the multiple setups required to repair the illusive setup 'bong' after the intro video required?'Upgrade' 1.54 was a program killer.

ETO installation exhausted(eight times now, at least triple that number in lifetime) would like to know???

Over

hairyspin
February 3rd, 2010, 14:52
...On Sunday at 1700hrs, after seven hours of work and downloads, I got to the ETO 'Splash'screen. Twenty minutes later, I was at the tarmac....
Over

That may explain a great deal. It took twenty minutes for your ETO installation to go from first splash screen to being ready to fly? No offence Phil, but I think your computer is a little lacking in horsepower. As a result, what you may think is the machine locking up is in fact just taking a very long time to get through all that has to be done.

Are you running something like a Pentium III? How much memory does the machine have? And how much hard disk space is left free? ETO was built, afaik, with more recent machines in mind and needs rather more computing power than the minimum specs described for CFS3 (which weren't up to much even back in 2002, to be frank - 400MHz processor, 128MB memory for XP/64MB for Win98 or ME, 16MB video card, 900MB hard disk space)

A reasonable Pentium IV, more than 1GB of RAM and a more modern video card should be more like it, not to mention a decent sized HD with lots of space left.

Sorry!

Phil
February 3rd, 2010, 15:12
Thank you 'Hairy Spin' for your comments. I presently have an Athlon64, rated at 2.3Ghz, single core processor. The HD is 1Tb Seagate with 65Gb of free space remaining. The video card is a Nvidia GeForce7800 GT, or 256M VRAM, supported by 3GB of DRAM on the motherboard, or the functional limilt for XP/SP3. I am running disk clean (again) to recoup space after my ETO adventures.

Following four days of combat, ETO is running with all ERAs present. I am still in search for the period music file, as there is only so much Glenn Miller I can take. 'Lily Marlene' was very good for the two earlier chronological periods. If you know where this addition is located, I would be appreciative of knowing. While my MAW install has about 27 aircraft and derivatives in violation of SDK rules, ETO is now clean. So, too, is PTO which recovered completely in less than a few hours of work.

ETO has never been an easy setup for me, tending also to be fragile in sustaining its installed integrity. A battle became a sizeable campaign, but success was at last realized.

hairyspin
February 4th, 2010, 08:12
65GB left on a 1TB drive? That's 6.5% space left, time for another HD if there's room for one! Or start deleting lesser-used apps, photos which could be burned to CD/DVD, etc etc. Windows needs a little space to breathe, too!

Phenozo
February 4th, 2010, 09:25
Look into the ETO 1.20 Cumulative Update folder when unpacked.

There is a ETO UIMusic Swapper.exe and a Read-Me for installation.

"This utility program will install the necessary files for different uimusic for each of the 5 eras in the CFS3 ETO Expansion Install. The installer will install the files to the default directory C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Games\\CFS3 ETO Expansion. If your install directory is different, then the MASTERETOSTARUP.bat file and ETOMuisicSwapper.bat file will have to be modified to match your CFS3 ETO Expansion directory. Make sure to modifiy the files prior to running the MASTERETOSTARTUP.bat file."

On an older system you may have been able to just run it. On newer systems you'll have to do the path re-direct and file editing as stated.

Roop298
February 5th, 2010, 15:28
Sorry to but in with a slightly related thread but I've just gotten around to installing the ETO addon but have no idea how, who or where anyone online plays this. Can anyone offer any servers/games rooms or squads going on?
Ta.

Phil
February 6th, 2010, 12:36
ETO requires patience and persistence to install and maintain. My PTO , MAW, DPC setups were by far less of a headache to install and run. Apart from a 'clean install' of CFS3 (definately without Wings of Power), deleting files and initializations, all of which takes hours of patient labor if one has to bad fortune I probably brought on myself, ETO 1.20 is nonetheless a rewarding end to a long campaign. The instruction guide, measured with my experience installing MAW 1.31, turned a four-day install campaign to my favor.

However, I have learned NOT to randomly select aircraft or mission files as the SDK committee of ETO has very strict rules. I have rogue Mosquitos and B17Fs plaguing CFS3 and some 27 planes or variants in MAW that interrupt game launches. By a thorough re-install of ETO and PTO, both launch with no fuss anymore.

As for my system, it has reached its age. New games, whether truly compliant or not, require dual and sometimes quad core processors. I believe that this is probably due to poor code assembly work that requires a processor core to deal with the ROW while the main core deals uniquely with the application. Graphics are now going to 512Mb to 1Gb VRAM. My only remaining benefit is 3Gb of DRAM, more than a required base for VISTA or System7, more than operationally required for XP-32, yet enough to give some 'offset' for the CPU. So, I will cultivate my own remaining garden.

Fear not 'Hairy Spin' my HD is not overly crowded. XP-32bit 'demands' about 24Gb of area outside its installed base as an operational cushion. So, I have about 50Gb more free space.

Yet apart from the misadventures, all ended well. By pointing me in the right direction, the kind gentleman from Saratoga 'brought my horse home'
I won the race and 'Lily Marlene' now plays in ERA1, followed by Winston Churchill in ERA2.

middle
March 31st, 2010, 10:57
Guys, we have too many stickies so what I'm going to do is consolidate some of them. The stickies with the links will be in one sticky.....anything else that needs to be consolidated, let me kniow. Your more absent then not moderator, middle

Pat Pattle
March 31st, 2010, 11:06
Your more absent then not moderator, middle

It's just nice to see you posting Middle :)

middle
March 31st, 2010, 11:09
Hi Pat...your face shows up on my facebok every day.