PDA

View Full Version : Capt. Sim 707. Will it work in FSX?

Navy Chief
January 4th, 2010, 07:18
I've had it for years. Never tried loading into FSX, but wondered if anyone else has.........

Such a majestic bird.

NC

pbearsailor
January 4th, 2010, 08:57
If you just install it and load it up, it'll show on the exterior views, but CTD as soon as you move to a cockpit view.

I've been fiddling with it off and on and I've pretty well got it running now. The CTD comes from the gauges or a gauge. I've removed all the Captain Sim gauges and replaced them with those from Historic Jetliners Group B-707 gauges.

Pretty happy with it now, flies nicely, and it's a really beautiful model.

cheers,
steve :wavey:

Navy Chief
January 4th, 2010, 13:10
I've removed all the Captain Sim gauges and replaced them with those from Historic Jetliners Group B-707 gauges.

Thanks for the info! Is it easy to swap out the gauges? Have never done that.....

NC

michael davies
January 4th, 2010, 13:37
Thanks for the info! Is it easy to swap out the gauges? Have never done that.....

NC

Should be quite easy, open the Capt Sim panel cfg and look at the gauge entries, each line will call for a particular gauge, all you need do is edit that gauge name with the replacement gauges name.

It can get a little complicated if all the gauges are compressed into a cab file, but if I recall correctly you only need to unzip that and empty all the gauges within the cab file into the sim gauges folder, if the producer of the cab file hasnt kept good name structures then the gauges could be all over the place, but being as the B707 is payware then I'd expect Capt sim to prefix all their gauges with something akin to their company name and perhaps the model designation as well. Some producers resuse gauges from older products, although its the same gauge and identical they were not renamed for each product, so for example you might find a B727 EGT gauge, being as the B727 was published first thats the gauge they used and then simply dropped it into the B707 package with the same name.

Hope that helps

Michael

pbearsailor
January 4th, 2010, 14:07
Yes, what Michael says. :ernae:

Somebody posted a modified panel.cfg here a long time ago (before the crash) and it worked, but he used a lot of gauges that just wouldn't ever have been found in a 707. Captain Sim's naming convention is easy and those HJG gauges follow a similar style, so it's mostly copy and paste. I'd suspect I'd violate their EULA if I posted a panel.cfg, though, using their gauges.

In this case FSPanel Studio makes it really easy as you can just call up the BMP's for the VC directly, delete the old, and drop in the new. Quite a bunch of stuff to do to get it all functional, and I'm not quite there yet with it, but it's completely useable for me now.

PM me if you want to do it, Navy Chief, and I'll be happy to help.

steve

Lateral-G
January 4th, 2010, 14:12
If you just install it and load it up, it'll show on the exterior views, but CTD as soon as you move to a cockpit view.

I've been fiddling with it off and on and I've pretty well got it running now. The CTD comes from the gauges or a gauge. I've removed all the Captain Sim gauges and replaced them with those from Historic Jetliners Group B-707 gauges.

Pretty happy with it now, flies nicely, and it's a really beautiful model.

cheers,
steve :wavey:

Steve,

Could you post a copy of your panel.cfg please?

Thanks,

-G-

Navy Chief
January 4th, 2010, 16:43
Yes, what Michael says. :ernae:

Somebody posted a modified panel.cfg here a long time ago (before the crash) and it worked, but he used a lot of gauges that just wouldn't ever have been found in a 707. Captain Sim's naming convention is easy and those HJG gauges follow a similar style, so it's mostly copy and paste. I'd suspect I'd violate their EULA if I posted a panel.cfg, though, using their gauges.

In this case FSPanel Studio makes it really easy as you can just call up the BMP's for the VC directly, delete the old, and drop in the new. Quite a bunch of stuff to do to get it all functional, and I'm not quite there yet with it, but it's completely useable for me now.

PM me if you want to do it, Navy Chief, and I'll be happy to help.

steve

Will do Steve. Thanks!

Pete

Old Crow
January 5th, 2010, 18:26
I would be very interested in that Panel CFG also. I have the HJG 707 2D panel that I have used in the CS707, but it is just not the same without the VC.