PDA

View Full Version : Repaint tutorial?

golakers
January 3rd, 2010, 18:19
Hey guys, does anyone know anythig about any repaint tutorials, I would love to be able to make some...

thx
GO LAKERS!

Lionheart
January 3rd, 2010, 18:22
I have one AWESOME website for you...

www.simmerspaintshop.com

They have tutorials in several formats for Paint Shop, Paint Shop Pro, Gimp, etc. They have resources, fonts, tons of awesome input, insignia, etc,etc... Go there and when you come back you will be one awesome painter...

Bill

golakers
January 3rd, 2010, 18:34
cool, I'll check it out immediately. First things first: I wanna make every f-14 squadron in as many color schemes as possible.

FelixFFDS
January 3rd, 2010, 18:48
Suggestion - get the basics down of repaininting and unless you're an artist with your paint program, there's no substitute for learning the paint program (Paint Shop Pro, etc etc) up and down.

Your first repaint will suck ... but by the time you finish that last squadron and scheme, they should be indistiguishable from a photograph!!

Go forth and paint!

golakers
January 3rd, 2010, 19:22
Hahaha... thanx for the concern but I'm a graphic designer, so believe me, I know my sh*t.

crashaz
January 3rd, 2010, 19:28
Hehehe.... must be a Lakers fan. :icon_lol:

Welcome to FSX design..... hopefully your talent matches that of your confidence. We will all be enjoying to fruits of your work then.

Good luck! :wavey:

golakers
January 3rd, 2010, 19:33
Don't worry guys, I won't release anything here until it's eye-popping.

crashaz
January 3rd, 2010, 19:38
Sounds good buddy! Welcome!:wavey:

golakers
January 4th, 2010, 09:39
Ok. I've got a problem and an offer:

1 - The problem:
I'm experiencing problems with my F-14D, since 2 days ago I can't fly that model in daylight without experiencing performance problems on my computer. This is not normal and it's not the first time I fly that plane in sunlight. But oddly enough it's THE ONLY plane I'm having problems with all of a sudden. Anybody any suggestion here?

2 - The offer:
I've tried repainting yesterday and it went well until I tried to apply it to a plane model. I simply see that part of the model as purely black in the game. I was never good at patching games since I'm not THAT much into games in general.
But what really made fun and I'm very good at that is producing visuals of any kind as (textures as .bmp format, or anything recognisible in Photoshop)
So since me trying to work myself into patching would be time consuming, I'd rather concentrate on tha textures, while the best or most productive way to go would be for someone else who's allready experienced in patching to make these textures work in the game. What do you guys think of that? Does that make sense?
Basically what I'm trying to say is, split the task in 2 parts which are all time consuming, I'd do the artistic creative part since my brain allready works that way my whole life, and someone else goes over the technicalities of applying that texture to a model.

Let me know what u think.
Yesterday I've allready made parts of this Black Aces texture...
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:F-14_Tomcat_VF-41_Oceana.jpg

gaucho_59
April 4th, 2011, 10:50
Probably you might have left your repaint in the 64 bit or whatever fine definition you were working on... I found through trial and error that some models - especially FS 2002 and 04 won't show the repaint unless it is in 256 colors... regardless of what the original textures were to start with

So as not to lose detail and definition... (I use PSP 12) I take the original texture into PSP, change it to 8bit or better... replace it with my high definition repaint... and then lower the definition to 256 colors and it works fine... and keeps the smooth finish of the repaint...
if I just replace it on the original at 256... there is a moiree' pattern to gaussian blurred tones which in the repaint are very neat... but look crude on the model...
Let me see if I can illustrate the issue...

I am not very deft with these file transfers, so the textures are not in order but you can tell the difference... they should be in the order of 1. original texture at 256... 2. repaint... 3. Transfer directly into original and 4. Taking original 256, change it to 8 bit, replace with repaint and then put back into 256....
As you see it makes a noticeable difference... (and if the original is replaced at 8 bit... it often does not show in the model and appears black... )