PDA

View Full Version : 'When Did Long-Underwear Become Baggy?'

Panther_99FS
January 3rd, 2010, 18:02
Inspired by Chacha's "Oh Man It Is Cold" post....I'm now pondering when long-underwear became baggy..:ques:

You see, when I was a kid, long-underwear was tighter than spandex...:d now it's all baggy....:isadizzy:

harleyman
January 3rd, 2010, 18:04
Quit buying the wrong size.....:bump:

Dain Arns
January 3rd, 2010, 20:12
Baggy? Sounds like cotton.
Cotton will never keep you warm. Well, at least where I live. :icon_lol:

http://www.adventuresportsonline.com/underwear101.htm

Good sporting goods stores sell the right stuff to stay warm in the winter. :salute:

cheezyflier
January 3rd, 2010, 21:28
wool is pretty effective, but can be thick.

years ago my mom gave me a few sets of this dupont stuff, i don't know what it is, but it's really thin, yet it works amazingly well. 20 years ago she gave me 2 tops and 2 bottoms. i still have one top left. it's that good.

if you want quality, don't be afraid to pay for it.

djscoo
January 3rd, 2010, 21:34
...i don't know what it is (...) 20 years ago...

Probably asbestos...:running:

:173go1:

Chacha
January 3rd, 2010, 21:36
Long underwear?

We don't use that here in Florida! :bump:

:monkies:

Dain Arns
January 4th, 2010, 01:51
wool is pretty effective, but can be thick.

years ago my mom gave me a few sets of this dupont stuff, i don't know what it is, but it's really thin, yet it works amazingly well. 20 years ago she gave me 2 tops and 2 bottoms. i still have one top left. it's that good.

if you want quality, don't be afraid to pay for it.

Probably polypropylene. It's good too.
Just need to have a layer above it that wicks away any moisture, otherwise it pools next to your skin.
Wool is good at doing that. Doesn't need to be bulky.

Yeah, good stuff costs more.
But the key is staying warm and dry. :mixedsmi:

Snuffy
January 4th, 2010, 04:27
Long underwear?

We don't use that here in Florida! :bump:

:monkies:

The heck they don't!!

The minute the temperatures here in Jax hit 55 I see people on the street wearing their thermal underwear, coats, hats, gloves, and boots.

Bunch of Whoosies.

Daveroo
January 4th, 2010, 08:01
you live in the wrong nieghborhood

Toastmaker
January 4th, 2010, 09:33
Hell, some of us really "tropical" guys don't use underwear at all. . . !

"El Commando", at your service, Senorita !!

:kilroy:

Snuffy
January 4th, 2010, 09:35
C'mon Toastie ... Bein of Scotish descent as I am, I'm regimental most times ... but you have to admit in this weather we've been having, its a bit of a dig ... :bump:

Toastmaker
January 4th, 2010, 09:40
Well, ok - only in the tropics !

Marlin
January 4th, 2010, 11:38
Because 'they' are shopping at the wrong store.
http://www.underarmour.com/shop/us/en/search?search_text=cold

Stay warm now.

cheezyflier
January 4th, 2010, 12:14
Probably polypropylene. It's good too.
Just need to have a layer above it that wicks away any moisture, otherwise it pools next to your skin.

no this stuff is wicking also. but i was wrong, it's not dupont. it's from cabela's. the info on the tag is unreadable so i don't know what this stuff is.
all i know is, it kinda feels like a thick nylon stocking, to your hand. but when you put it on, it's super thin and light. you'd never believe it can keep you so warm, but when you come into the house, you somehow don't overheat. i wish i could get more of it.

Dain Arns
January 4th, 2010, 13:33
no this stuff is wicking also. but i was wrong, it's not dupont. it's from cabela's. the info on the tag is unreadable so i don't know what this stuff is.
all i know is, it kinda feels like a thick nylon stocking, to your hand. but when you put it on, it's super thin and light. you'd never believe it can keep you so warm, but when you come into the house, you somehow don't overheat. i wish i could get more of it.

I know what you're talking about now. Probably "Under Armor" or a brand like that:
http://www.underarmour.com/shop/us/en/mens/apparel/underwear-and-socks/ua-base/pid1004600-Men-s-ColdGear-Base-1-0-Crew/1004600-418
A sporting goods store or hiking/mountaineering shop should have that.

I guess there is one advantage living here. Cabela's is close by. :mixedsmi:
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/community/aboutus/retail-detail.jsp?detailedInformationURL=/cabelas/en/content/community/aboutus/retail/retail_stores/mitchell/mitchell.html

Willy
January 4th, 2010, 13:35
All I know is that I'm wearing the heck out of mine during this cold spell. It gets pretty darn cold out feeding the horses.

Dain Arns
January 4th, 2010, 13:41
I've grown a beard this winter.
I don't care how scratchy it is, it's keeping my face warm. :icon_lol:

Bjoern
January 4th, 2010, 13:44
Always hated long underwear.

I'd just do it Bundeswehr style. Seal off the lower ends of the trousers with rubber bands so you've got an air cusion and done. Got me perfectly through rather bad european winter conditions.

Tom Clayton
January 4th, 2010, 15:07
The best longjohns I ever had were USAF issue flight gear. Back when I was in, everything made for flying was made from one material - Nomex. The longjohns looked like standard cotton stuff, but they were a zillion times softer and much better at insulating too. I got out of the Air Force in '88, but I kept that underwear well into the '90's!

The long underwear I have now I bought at Gander Mountain. I'm not sure what they're made from, but it's grey and thinner than older cotton stuff. With a pair of jeans, they keep my legs warm on the bike down to about 50°F. Below that, all I need to add is a pair of Frog Togs pants as a wind break, which works down to about 35°F. Below that, and I break out the heavy Tour Master (http://www.tourmaster.com/xcart/catalog/Venture-Air-Pant-p-227_4.html) pants with their quilted liner. With them on, I only need to wear the longjohns if I'm going to be staying outside when I get wherever I'm going.

OBIO
January 4th, 2010, 15:44
I have never worn long-johns....and never will. I was out shoveling snow today...wearing my boots, a pair of shorty socks, a t-shirt, my winter coat..which is actually just a wind proof, water proof jacket... and my most comfy shorts. Yep, shorts. 13 degrees and I am still wearing my shorts. Unless I am going to be outside for an hour or more, I don't bother throwing on my jeans.

OBIO

harleyman
January 4th, 2010, 16:57
I get all my winter gear at LL Bean........

robert41
January 4th, 2010, 18:31
Long underwear yes, all winter long. Its not so much the material, but how many layers you wear. I usually wear 3 layers of underwear/pants and shirts/coats. For gloves, I tried the synthetics and they do not keep my hands warm at all, I found a pair of 100% wool mittens that keep my hand warm even at 20-30 below.

cheezyflier
January 4th, 2010, 18:47
The long underwear I have now I bought at Gander Mountain.

oh man! i accidentally got a couple of sweaters from there once and they were the warmest sweaters ever!

Panther_99FS
January 4th, 2010, 19:17
tighty long-whitees....:d

Tom Clayton
January 4th, 2010, 21:15
Now, if you REALLY want to stay warm, here's a couple of tips. First, visit an outdoor supply store. Those people tend to use undergarments - especially for the lower half. The sweater stuff helps too. Second, visit a motorcycle accessory shop. Bikers stay warm using outer clothing from head to toe.

Here's what I typically wear for a ride when it's cold enough to warrant the full gear...

First layers:
Good socks
Longjohns
Jeans
T-shirt
Sweatshirt

Outer layers:
Tour Master pants w/ both liners (see link above)
Insulated boots
Fieldsheer Quatro (http://www.fieldsheer.com/site2009/IE/product/quattroJacket.htm) jacket (the neon green-yellow model!)
Form fitting thin mask that fits under helmet
Fleece neck warmer tucked into gap between chin and helmet
Heavy insulated gloves.

By the time I'm done, I've put on 20 pounds, and need to get outside just to keep from overheating!

Chacha
January 4th, 2010, 21:17
Now, if you REALLY want to stay warm, here's a couple of tips. First, visit an outdoor supply store. Those people tend to use undergarments - especially for the lower half. The sweater stuff helps too. Second, visit a motorcycle accessory shop. Bikers stay warm using outer clothing from head to toe.

Here's what I typically wear for a ride when it's cold enough to warrant the full gear...

First layers:
Good socks
Longjohns
Jeans
T-shirt
Sweatshirt

Outer layers:
Tour Master pants w/ both liners (see link above)
Insulated boots
Fieldsheer Quatro (http://www.fieldsheer.com/site2009/IE/product/quattroJacket.htm) jacket (the neon green-yellow model!)
Form fitting thin mask that fits under helmet
Fleece neck warmer tucked into gap between chin and helmet
Heavy insulated gloves.

By the time I'm done, I've put on 20 pounds, and need to get outside just to keep from overheating!

Eeeks! :isadizzy:

cheezyflier
January 5th, 2010, 06:15
i used to ride year-round, as long as the road itself wasn't covered with snow.

Cazzie
January 5th, 2010, 06:39
Since when did you need long johns in Louisana? :icon_lol:

Panther, cotton is the fabric used in most purchased in stores/ It will stretch. It will also absorb perspiration when you exercise or work, thereby making you colder.

I swear my these, even those they are cycling under garments, they are good for work or play, they wick perspiration to the outside layer. And they're on sale too!

http://www.performancebike.com/bikes/Product_10052_10551_1007994_-1_1500502_20000_1500503

I use them when cycling or working outdoors on a cold day. Which BTW I have to do today, work that is. I have three trees that have fallen and need to be cut and cleared. Today and tomorrow will be the best times to do it and today will be better than tomorrow, as I do not have much free time tomorrow. Thursday, we have a 30-40 chance of snow, so I gotta get clicking. I've had my chain saw in all night by the fire to get the oil and all warm, hopefully, it will crank. If not, I'll saw what I can with a hand operated band saw and clear at least what is in my driveway. Virginia pines are brittle trees and when the weather gets this cold and the winds blow this strong, they lose large limbs and sometimes the entire trees will just snap. Sounds like a 3-inch cannon when they do that!

Caz

Chacha
January 5th, 2010, 11:12
Cazz,

Be careful cutting trees...

I know you are an expert doing that by now, still be careful... especially in that kind of weather :engel016:

Therma Guard... thanks for sharing... :ernae: