PDA

View Full Version : Oh Man It Is Cold!!!!

Chacha
January 3rd, 2010, 13:32
Orlando right now is 45F
high 48F low 33F

Monday 54F (high) 31F (low)

Tuesday 51F (high) 28F (low)

Wednesday 53F (high) 31F (low)

Thursday 59F (high) 46F (low)

Friday 55F (high) 30F (low)

:ernae: I need a lot of these .... to keep me warm!

Beautiful Florida weather...

I made sure my plants outside are covered with blankets! :running:

OBIO
January 3rd, 2010, 13:49
Currently 15 degrees F here in Mansfield Ohio.

OBIO

Tako_Kichi
January 3rd, 2010, 14:05
Temps of 55F is T-shirt weather for us up here Chacha!

I am currently freezing my butt off sitting INSIDE this house. Unfortunately it has very poor insulation (it used to be a farm building that has been converted to living accommodation) and even a slight wind outside just sucks all the heat out of this place. We only have a small gas fired space heater downstairs that is supposed to heat 6 rooms (yeah right!) and a gas fireplace upstairs that is the only heat source for 5 rooms. We have a small electric heater in the computer room area and that can't cope with the current temps so I am sitting with multiple layers of clothing on and two pairs of socks and wrapped in a blanket and I am still cold! As I am disabled the cold really knocks me back and I am having to deal with additional health issues besides what I have to cope with on any 'normal' day.

Just for reference our current temps are 21F (-6C) with a windchill ('feels like' temp) of 9F (-13C). Winds are 15 MPH gusting to 22 MPH out of the NW. If the wind would just drop a bit I would feel a lot warmer in here!

BRRRRRRRRR!!!!!

Typhoon Willy
January 3rd, 2010, 14:06
45 would be a heatwave here in Michigan this time of year.

Crusader
January 3rd, 2010, 14:13
Currently 15 degrees F here in Mansfield Ohio.

OBIO

OBIO , Chacha really knows how to rub it in doesn't she http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/images/icons/icon9.gif

Currently at 14 degrees F on my old thermometer with a wind chill around 5 . I can imagine what the upper Midwest must feel like now . My Grandpa use to say " It's colder than a well diggers a - - ! "

Rich

Navy Chief
January 3rd, 2010, 14:14
Supposed to be 11 degrees tomorrow morning here. I have had my woodstove roaring since last night. I don't believe in giving my electric company one cent more than I have to.......I had three cords of firewood delivered last evening.

NC

CG_1976
January 3rd, 2010, 14:24
-23F right now last night it was -45F with snow
Chacha them temps are are tang tops and shorts WX for me.

Odie
January 3rd, 2010, 14:29
2 degrees with a -11 chill factor in Northern Illinois. I told my 26 yr old son that I'd give him $20 if he'd walk to the stop sign at the end of the road dressed as he is (t-shirt, pajama bottoms, and bare feet). He actually considered it but then decided not too after he got to the "bare feet" part of the inventory!! :icon_lol:

Ah, the things we do on long winter evenings !

Snuffy
January 3rd, 2010, 14:36
My kind of weather happening in Jax this week!!

:applause:

Mom & Dad called after the Bill Kicked A on the Colts!! They Said it was about 15 degrees in Buffalo or there abouts.

Cazzie
January 3rd, 2010, 14:38
Currently 26 in Ringgold, VA, but winds are blowing at 15 - 25 mph with gusts to 30. Wind chill is 17. Low tonight is to be 13 with a wind chill over 4. Brrrr.

But I'll tell you something, if it were not for the wind, I would ride my bike. The cold is a dry cold and that is much easier to take than a wet cold. I absolutely love to breathe the air, it is so pure and clean. No pollens, no spores, no smells of burnt firewood smoke, because the smoke rides and doesn't lie low on the moors. The stars are petrifyingly beautiful. Astronomy is indeed a harsh mistress. But I've had my snow boots, long undies, three top layers and some comfy gloves. Going out one more time before I bring the scope in and take a good hot bath.

Caz

Willy
January 3rd, 2010, 14:43
It's about 20 here right now and supposed to get down in the low teens tonight.

I got tired of fighting the old leaky metal water trough for the horses that kept freezing up over the past few days yesterday and went out and bought a new plastic one and a submersible heater for it. Breaking a couple of inches of ice every few hours will do it for you.

Today, the new trough has been ice free, but I forgot to disconnect the hose from the faucet yesterday evening and it's now froze solid. I had to refill the trough with buckets earlier.

Supposed to be in single digits here about Tuesday.....

DB93
January 3rd, 2010, 15:03
Being from Boston originally, I'd like to say that the 40's and 50's aren't that cold. Having lived in the Central Florida area for the last 6 years, I have to say that it's pretty darn cold here. (At least cold enough for a snuggie lol, at least it's easy to type in one of these.) My wife and I were finally going to check out Fantasy of Flight today for my birthday, but we decided to do it another day because we both thought it was just too cold to spend the day out lol.

-George

HouseHobbit
January 3rd, 2010, 15:06
It is also cold here in OHIO, 2 degrees last nite single digits again tonite.. and perhaps up to 20 degrees later this week..
FLA, is nice this time of year I bet..
But I do Like snow to play in, and that is something even the cold doesn't stop me from doing..
And No I haven't grown up yet.. Thank God..

TeaSea
January 3rd, 2010, 15:19
Had to mow the yard today, in 40 degree weather...then a little dip in the pool.....

Okay, I had the heater on....

paiken
January 3rd, 2010, 15:26
You don't want to know what the temp in Phx will be this week! Cha-Cha, you about ready for another visit? I see you have the Biltmore in your signature :icon_lol:

Chacha
January 3rd, 2010, 15:30
Paiken,

I check AZ weather everyday...

right now is 70F in PHX ... low 40F

Mon ..... 73F high .... 42 low

Tues .... 71F high ... 42F low

Wed .... 71F high ... 41F low

Thurs ... 69F high ... 38F low

Fri ...... 67F high ... 37F low

I love this kind of weather...

I can wear my boots and leather jacket ;)

N2056
January 3rd, 2010, 15:58
I guess this is why the cost of living is high here...:icon_lol:

http://img691.imageshack.us/img691/6185/kseeweather.jpg

safn1949
January 3rd, 2010, 16:14
Southern Minnesota,-29 F.Remember that's southern.Wind chill -45 F.:USA-flag:

My girl is freezing her behind off there,I'm in Austin TX in the big truck. he he

Dain Arns
January 3rd, 2010, 16:26
Record Lows here, whoop-eee. :173go1:
Glad to have a couple computers running in the room here, making it bearable.
Might just leave them on tonight.

Definitely can see where there are air leaks in the window sills, due to the large amount of frost and ice building up around them.
To-do project for this spring will be to plug them.

Chacha, I'd love temperatures in the mid-50's.
Where I used to live is in the mid-30's, that'd be welcome too.
Looking at -9 to -10F for a HIGH on Friday. That's not factoring in wind chill.

Guess it's not all bad, still warmer than Yellowknife, NT.
Sorry CG_1976! :icon_lol:

Cazzie
January 3rd, 2010, 17:27
Any one care to start a "global cooling" committee?

caz

Brian_Gladden
January 3rd, 2010, 17:47
currently 19F (no wind) and we just got about a foot of snow...

Ah, Winter in Vermont.

Brian

Piglet
January 3rd, 2010, 17:50
LOL N2056!
75 F here today, night's low about 45 F
My brother and his family are visiting right now from upstate NY. They don't want to go back!

Kofschip
January 3rd, 2010, 17:57
LOL N2056!
75 F here today, night's low about 45 F
My brother and his family are visiting right now from upstate NY. They don't want to go back!

I don't blame them, here in NJ I am freezing off my a$$. Lots of snow in upstate NY. The storm is still going full bore.

N2056
January 3rd, 2010, 18:01
This time of the year I occasionally drive around with the window rolled down just because I can in the "dead of winter" :wiggle:

Lionheart
January 3rd, 2010, 18:46
This time of the year I occasionally drive around with the window rolled down just because I can in the "dead of winter" :wiggle:

Same here. Its finally 'not' dangerous to be driving around without AC in the car.

It was super chilly the past 2 weeks (or more) at night, but the past 2 days have been warmish. Had to sleep with the window open, fan on high, sheets only. arrgh.. I like the comforter but not cold enough.

8:45 PM; Glendale, 61F. Low 'should' be 40F. Lets hope. :d

crashaz
January 3rd, 2010, 19:04
If people are complaining now... wait till Wed-Fri... calling for lower 20s for a high here in Dallas!

Those people north of us are going to be seeing minus temperatures me thinks.

Wing_Z
January 3rd, 2010, 19:09
Tsk.
25 degrees this afternoon...celsius. :d

If it weren't cold sometimes, how'd you know how great it was other times?

Actually, we're quite an adaptable lot if you think about it.
It gets to -80C in Siberia, (-90C in Antarctica) and 140C hotter in some of the deserts!
Humidity from zero to 100, too.

viking3
January 3rd, 2010, 19:32
We are warming up tonight with a low of only -18F, after a few few nights of -30. You know it's -30 when the house starts cracking like gunshots going off as the wood shrinks. Any colder than that and the trees start splitting and cracking and sound carries for miles as the air is so dense.

Regards, Rob:ernae:

crashaz
January 3rd, 2010, 19:37
I will be pushing back my trip out to Minneapolis as far in the future as possible.

Maybe I can talk them into remoting. :icon_lol:

TomSteber
January 4th, 2010, 03:11
Any one care to start a "global cooling" committee?

caz

It's global warming at it's best! And guess what? It's like this in many areas around the world right now. Record low temps and record snow all over the world. Where's A.G. when you need him to explain this one? Can anyone say "mini-ice age coming"?

OK, venting done. Now back to none thinking things.

Dain Arns
January 4th, 2010, 03:48
It's global warming at it's best! And guess what? It's like this in many areas around the world right now. Record low temps and record snow all over the world. Where's A.G. when you need him to explain this one? Can anyone say "mini-ice age coming"?

OK, venting done. Now back to none thinking things.

It was called "The Little Ice Age" for a period of extreme cold during the middle ages.
It had been preceded by a period of warming known as the "Medieval Warm Period".

Gee. Sound kinda familiar? :icon_lol:

(I know, Wikipedia. But it summarizes it pretty well)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Little_Ice_Age

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medieval_Warm_Period

Global warming or not, I find it interesting information to ponder.

Brian_Gladden
January 4th, 2010, 12:00
Just for your information, the Burlington VT area got 31 inches of snow over the weekend. 40 miles away and I only got about 12...

At least the ski areas will be happy.

Brian

Z-claudius24
January 4th, 2010, 13:05
Hi,

Was a bit worried about all those cold weather in USA-Europe and China .. so I called Al Gore for have some explainations .....
His answer was stunning (as usual):
All this cold is caused by the global warming <!--StartFragment --> http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v33/RAF_Dumoulin/sm15.gif

<!--StartFragment --> http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb164/beber5/new_asthanos.gif <!--StartFragment --> http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb164/beber5/new_asthanos.gif <!--StartFragment --> http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb164/beber5/new_asthanos.gif

PRB
January 4th, 2010, 13:33
How come the squirrels don't freeze? That's what I want to know. It's freezing outside right now. 10 degrees or so (F). I look outside and the squirrels are running around like they always do. And they don't even have gloves.

Dain Arns
January 4th, 2010, 13:37
How come the squirrels don't freeze? That's what I want to know. It's freezing outside right now. 10 degrees or so (F). I look outside and the squirrels are running around like they always do. And they don't even have gloves.

They have 3 layers to their fur coats in the winter. The inner coat traps heat, why they need to shed in the spring. :mixedsmi:

Willy
January 4th, 2010, 13:40
Last winter my mare Ruby didn't have hardly any winter coat. It just thickened up a bit. This winter, she grew something like what you'd expect to see on a woolly mammoth. Long and thick. And the cold don't seem to bother her a bit either.

I'm in long underwear, regular outer clothes, heavy coat, gloves, wool hat and freezing my butt off. :isadizzy:

Dain Arns
January 4th, 2010, 14:15
Last winter my mare Ruby didn't have hardly any winter coat. It just thickened up a bit. This winter, she grew something like what you'd expect to see on a woolly mammoth. Long and thick. And the cold don't seem to bother her a bit either.

I'm in long underwear, regular outer clothes, heavy coat, gloves, wool hat and freezing my butt off. :isadizzy:

Growing up, we always knew how bad a winter it was going to be by how much of a winter coat the horses got.
I remember a couple winters where ours looked the same. :kilroy:

Cazzie
January 4th, 2010, 15:04
My chocolate lab is the same, has a layer close that insulates in cold and wet. Can't get wet. But I've felt sorry for the little tree rats and set peanuts and suet seeds out for them. the ground is so frozen now, they cannot dig up their stash.

Caz

PRB
January 4th, 2010, 15:57
They have 3 layers to their fur coats in the winter. The inner coat traps heat, why they need to shed in the spring. :mixedsmi:

Interesting. I guess three coats should do it!

Z-claudius24
January 5th, 2010, 14:02
Hi,

For those who think it will be better to move to the Himalaya for warm .. :)

So you read it .. and were making your pack to migrate :)

IPCC AR4 WG2 Ch10, p. 493

"Glaciers in the Himalaya are receding faster than in any other part of the world (see Table 10.9) and, if the present rate continues, the likelihood of them disappearing by the year 2035 and perhaps sooner is very high if the Earth keeps warming at the current rate. Its total area will likely shrink from the present 500,000 to 100,000 km2 by the year 2035 (WWF, 2005)".

But take care .. a surprise is waiting you :)

"The extrapolar glaciation of the Earth will be decaying at rapid, catastrophic rates - its total area will shrink from 500,000 to 100,000 square kilometres by the year 2350."

Source:
http://unesdoc.unesco.org/images/0010/001065/106523e.pdf

<!--StartFragment --> http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb164/beber5/new_asthanos.gif <!--StartFragment --> http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb164/beber5/new_asthanos.gif <!--StartFragment --> http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb164/beber5/new_asthanos.gif

RyanJames170
January 5th, 2010, 14:37
its been -20F to 15 F here with it holding -5 or less during the day till after 2 PM

PRB
January 7th, 2010, 14:30
It's just like Antarctica here! Ahhhhh! Ok, so maybe I don't know what Antarctica is like, exactly. But it's dang cold! Tomorrow only 12 degrees! Twelve!!?? That isn't very many degrees. And we got 4 inches (more or less) of snow last night too.

p14u2nv
January 7th, 2010, 14:34
NYC 36 right now, wind chill 28. Another 1-3 inches fluffy white stuff forecast overnite into tomorrow noon. 50 degrees huh? That' shorts and t shirt weather here...lol!

Btw, anyone have Algores home phone as I just want to know where is this global warming? This year is forecast here to be the coldest in the last 25 years!

Willy
January 7th, 2010, 14:38
Dang P, you're upriver from me and you've got a heatwave going on up there. Our low tomorrow is supposed to be about 5 with a high of 18. That's not figuring in wind chill. Saturday is supposed to be colder.

That 4" snow we were supposed to get last night turned into 1/4" of a dusting. We dodged that bullet.

I know one thing for sure. I darn near froze my face off feeding the horses a couple of hours ago.

PRB
January 7th, 2010, 14:40
Heat wave! :icon_lol: Rgr 4 degrees. Is summer here yet?

MCDesigns
January 7th, 2010, 14:53
Whew, coldest it's been here in Dallas in awhile during the next few days. Just got in from some errands, dang wind is what kills ya. Tonight the windchill will make it -5, holy cow, where's my parka!

crashaz
January 7th, 2010, 15:13
I will step out tonight and walk out into the wind so I can say I experienced minus degrees.

Then I will run back quickly into the apartment. :icon_lol:

Chacha
January 7th, 2010, 15:20
I have been in Florida half my life....

This is the longest winter I have ever experienced here, so far....

It is running 3 weeks already....

We normally get 2 to 3 days of winter a week or a month.... then back to normal humidity....

I can't go to the beach.... it's cold and windy! :running:

TeaSea
January 7th, 2010, 15:25
ChaCha....

I grew up in Fairbanks, Alaska....and I'm COLD over here in Tampa....

You knew there was a reason I live in Florida now....

Dain Arns
January 7th, 2010, 15:29
Sissies! :p:

I just got done clearing out the driveway with the snowblower. -6F base temperature, with windchill, -46F. Hoo-Rah! :salute:

Okay. Had to throw on the Carhartt (http://www.carhartt.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/HomeView?storeId=10051&catalogId=10101) coveralls.
I always felt a set of those, that's gotta be like putting on a spacesuit for an Apollo mission... :isadizzy:

NoNewMessages
January 7th, 2010, 16:13
Went out to make a run to K-mart and almost had to turn the air-conditioner on. I feel for those that are getting hammered, really I do. Not soon will I forget the sight of diesel fuel that had the consistency of jello...

txnetcop
January 7th, 2010, 17:54
Gonna be down to 13 degrees in Dallas tomorrow and ZERO with the windchill factor...global warming my arse!
Ted
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

Chacha
January 7th, 2010, 18:30
ChaCha....

I grew up in Fairbanks, Alaska....and I'm COLD over here in Tampa....

You knew there was a reason I live in Florida now....

Tea Sea,

So NOW I know where the COLD is coming from! :icon_lol:

Seriously..... Kidding aside....

This is the longest winter so far that I experienced here in Central, Florida.... :pop4:

Lionheart
January 7th, 2010, 19:00
Carhartt (http://www.carhartt.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/HomeView?storeId=10051&catalogId=10101) coveralls.
I always felt a set of those, that's gotta be like putting on a spacesuit for an Apollo mission... :isadizzy:

LOLOLOL....

Must be a little bit 'chilli' :d

Lionheart
January 7th, 2010, 19:01
Tea Sea,

So NOW I know where the COLD is coming from! :icon_lol:

Seriously..... Kidding aside....

This is the longest winter so far that I experienced here in Central, Florida.... :pop4:

Eli...

Do you have snow? From all the complaining, it sounds like the temps in Florida are down in the negatives! -12F there?

:d

Bill

Chacha
January 7th, 2010, 19:37
Eli...

Do you have snow? From all the complaining, it sounds like the temps in Florida are down in the negatives! -12F there?

:d

Bill

Sire Lionheart,

No reason for me to complain..... I love cold weather..... at least save me money to yank AC to 70ºF in my house.... We did not have snow but we did have ice..... see attached photos... sorry taken from iPhone quality is not good.... :monkies:

My cousin and her husband come and visit us here in Florida every winter for three months to escape the cold winter weather of the north... :running:

We will go to Clear Water tomorrow and go to Sanibel and Marco Island to walk the beaches and collect sea shells... :running:

And I am pretty sure they will love this kind of weather.... :isadizzy:

p14u2nv
January 8th, 2010, 04:40
Dang P, you're upriver from me and you've got a heatwave going on up there. Our low tomorrow is supposed to be about 5 with a high of 18. That's not figuring in wind chill. Saturday is supposed to be colder.

Roger that Willy but that cold air you have now will be here tonight per forecast, for what that's worth. We've already had a few minus wind chills already this year so I guess this was a heat wave to be thankful for indeed! About +/- 2 inches snow here so far since early am. Bring that on as that doesn't worry anyone here...not that amount anyway.

Hang in there Chacha...spring will be here soon and back to that hot high humidity sweating Florida weather!

I really believe that this is a cycle we are going through and you can not stop Mother Nature. To even try, IMHO, is ludicrous as nature will adjust without "our" help...she always has and what was meant to survive did and what didn't oh well...there's always fossils to look for! Caused by man? I doubt that very seriously. THAT, again IMHO is simply an excuse to turn the entire world upside down so some will make big $$ because of it.

Rusty
January 8th, 2010, 05:37
HaHaHa, I wish, -18C with a 10km breeze makes it feel like -28C is todays high farther North than Chacha, but Olympic Flame coming Thru tomorrow that will warm us up, hang in there people it doesn't last forever, WE still have 4 months of COOL weather left to go.

Quicksand
January 8th, 2010, 09:38
Chacha, I was in Lakeland FL yesterday and saw a heavy frost even that far south......:isadizzy:

Chacha
January 8th, 2010, 09:41
Chacha, I was in Lakeland FL yesterday and saw a heavy frost even that far south......:isadizzy:

Quicksand,

Tonight January 8, 2010 .....North Florida will experience Flurries.....

Snow in Florida.... Yes :pop4:

:isadizzy:

srgalahad
January 8th, 2010, 10:59
Gee.. my condolences folks :salute:

Way up here in the "frozen north" it's a coolish 46*F (+6*C) and it's not even the warmest part of the day -- the sun is shining, melting the snow. I'd send help, but I think I'll take my book out onto the deck and read for a while.

Rob

GT182
January 8th, 2010, 11:13
Not soon will I forget the sight of diesel fuel that had the consistency of jello...

Boy do I remember that. Not fun at all, as I had it happen to me a few times out on the Interstates up North.

Dain Arns
January 8th, 2010, 12:29
Bunny today on top of one of the bushes right outside the window catching some sun.

CG_1976
January 8th, 2010, 12:38
Gee.. my condolences folks :salute:

Way up here in the "frozen north" it's a coolish 46*F (+6*C) and it's not even the warmest part of the day -- the sun is shining, melting the snow. I'd send help, but I think I'll take my book out onto the deck and read for a while.

Rob

Say neighbor want to share the heat please. Its -17C with snow and blowing.

Chacha
January 8th, 2010, 14:24
Bunny today on top of one of the bushes right outside the window catching some sun.

Dain,

Where's the bushes, I don't see bushes, I see snow... all white!

Oh you mean the bushes are covered with snow... I see now....

Thanks for sharing! That must be really cold.... :isadizzy:

Tom Clayton
January 8th, 2010, 15:17
At the moment, it's 23°F here with a windchill of 12°F. So when I have to take Daisy oustside, I'm using my motorcycle gear just to stay warm!

GT182
January 8th, 2010, 15:57
Ahhh, the battery operated socks and underwear motorcycle gear right Tom. :icon_lol:

Chaps won't doo much good without the above. ;)

Willy
January 8th, 2010, 16:41
It's about 16F here right now and dropping. Snowing a little bit too. Just not getting any accumulation.

I dug out the thermal underwear a few days ago and been layered up every time I take the dogs out or go down to the pasture to tend to the horses.

My whiskers seem to be growing faster in the past few days.....

Guruswarmyoz
January 8th, 2010, 17:03
Hmm i like winter because at the moment its 40 degrees C in the shade (105+ Fahrenheit) and i just had a big (7 ft long) Eastern Brown snake slither past our kitchen window!

Moparmike
January 8th, 2010, 17:10

I just got done clearing out the driveway with the snowblower. -6F base temperature, with windchill, -46F. Hoo-Rah! :salute:

Since Dain posted the temps halfway through SD yesterday, I'll post the temps from today halfway through ND today. :d

-27°F at KJMS this morning and it's -17°F now. At least we didn't have much wind so the wind chill temp wasn't too bad.
The truck was not happy when I fired it up after work this morning though! But then again, neither was I...

Hoping to get another of my project snowmobiles running this weekend.

Dain Arns
January 8th, 2010, 18:23
Dain,

Where's the bushes, I don't see bushes, I see snow... all white!

Oh you mean the bushes are covered with snow... I see now....

Thanks for sharing! That must be really cold.... :isadizzy:

Yeah, should have been clearer. The snow is as high as the bushes.
Think the bushes are frozen still too.
Bunny lives in the bushes, now he has a rooftop patio this winter. :icon_lol:

Tom Clayton
January 8th, 2010, 18:26
Ahhh, the battery operated socks and underwear motorcycle gear right Tom. :icon_lol:

Chaps won't doo much good without the above. ;)
I don't even have chaps! (Need to get some thought...) Nah, I'm using my heavy Fieldsheer jacket that weighs in at almost eight pounds. And if I had heated gear, it would be the type that plugs into the bike's electrical system. I ride year-round, so I'd go through too many batteries!

Dain Arns
January 8th, 2010, 18:40
Since Dain posted the temps halfway through SD yesterday, I'll post the temps from today halfway through ND today. :d

-27°F at KJMS this morning and it's -17°F now. At least we didn't have much wind so the wind chill temp wasn't too bad.
The truck was not happy when I fired it up after work this morning though! But then again, neither was I...

Hoping to get another of my project snowmobiles running this weekend.

Officially, its colder here than last year. Had records, and near record temps this week.
REALLY looking forward to mid-30's next week. LOL! :icon_lol:

GT182
January 8th, 2010, 18:48
I don't even have chaps! (Need to get some thought...) Nah, I'm using my heavy Fieldsheer jacket that weighs in at almost eight pounds. And if I had heated gear, it would be the type that plugs into the bike's electrical system. I ride year-round, so I'd go through too many batteries!

Yeah plugin is the way to go. Chaps, you need chaps you say? I have a pair I'm not using... no more Harley. :frown: And no more 30" waist. :crybaby: :bump:

Tom Clayton
January 8th, 2010, 19:04
They'd be too small for me too then! Last time I had a 30" waist, I was in junior high! I'd love to get back down to a 34" waist!

srgalahad
January 8th, 2010, 20:04
Say neighbor want to share the heat please. Its -17C with snow and blowing.

Patience grasshopper.. tomorrow is the first day of sunrise in Inuvik. It'll start warming soon ( 3 months or so).
Meantime we should drag all these unfortunates up from the 'deep south' and let them see what cold is REALLY like :icon_lol:

fond memories of the week we had 3 C-141's up in Yellowknife from NC with some fine young men who were told to do an arctic exercise... they had all the gear on and the guy from Canadian who hooked up the GPU's was in a ski jacket and jeans... it was only -23C. They found out about cold the next day when they had to do a 100nm trip on snomobiles :isadizzy: ending with a simulated assault on the FOL.

:jump:

jmig
January 9th, 2010, 05:22
Patience grasshopper.. tomorrow is the first day of sunrise in Inuvik. It'll start warming soon ( 3 months or so).
Meantime we should drag all these unfortunates up from the 'deep south' and let them see what cold is REALLY like :icon_lol:

fond memories of the week we had 3 C-141's up in Yellowknife from NC with some fine young men who were told to do an arctic exercise... they had all the gear on and the guy from Canadian who hooked up the GPU's was in a ski jacket and jeans... it was only -23C. They found out about cold the next day when they had to do a 100nm trip on snomobiles :isadizzy: ending with a simulated assault on the FOL.

:jump:

I can remember like it was yesterday *shivers with the memory* the winter survive school the USAF sent me to. When we landed the pilot said the outside temp was 5 degrees F. I think that is the warmest it was the entire two weeks.

Never been so cold before or since in my life. I remember having to hike all day on snow shoes. ME the boy from the Bayou Teche on SHOWshoes. Heck, when I first saw them I thought they were big Lacrosse rackets.

After the third day in the field I was so tired I could hardly lift my feet. I remember thinking if God had wanted me to use snowshoes, I would have never been born Cajun.

GT182
January 9th, 2010, 05:29
John, I've still got my snowshoes. Ya never know when you'll need em again. :rolleyes: :bump:

jmig
January 9th, 2010, 06:49
John, I've still got my snowshoes. Ya never know when you'll need em again. :rolleyes: :bump:

:) If when I get to heaven, St. Peter hands me a pair of snowshoes....well...I might just turn around and head the other way. :bump:

Mickey D
January 9th, 2010, 09:02
It was -22 C in Scotland the night before last. It's been down to around -18 C here in Yorkshire. I don't do snow. Roll on Spring.

Willy
January 9th, 2010, 09:25
19F here again today and that's probably as warm as it's going to get. And as the past three days, it's snowing just not enough for any accumulation.

I used to work with the Navy's aircrew survival school in Pensacola and I always felt sorry for those guys this time of year. We'd haul 'em out in the middle of the bay in a 50' boat and have them jump out while we were just idling along. They'd have to tread water until a helo came along and picked them up out of the water. Then the helo would set them back down and we'd have to go fetch 'em back into the boat. They looked pretty darn cold by that time.

n4gix
January 9th, 2010, 12:03
Man, it's so cold in Washington D.C. that the politicians have their hands in their OWN pockets for a change! :applause:

I've got to make a supply run this afternoon and I am not looking forward to it at all! :kilroy:

srgalahad
January 9th, 2010, 16:29
at this rate the 2 ft of snow in my backyard may melt before the 2" they got waaaaaaaaaay down south. Hey, it's not often I can flaunt the relative warmth:icon_lol:

cooled off a bit since midday but still 45F with that lovely warm west wind blowing over the mountains

Current map: (temps. in Celsius)

aeromed202
January 9th, 2010, 17:05
Harden yer nose cold 'round here. One of the crashes I was at the other day. We were there for about twenty minutes and had about 64 calls that day. BBBRRRRRR!!!!!!

Brian_Gladden
January 10th, 2010, 04:06
Reminds me of my EMS days... The average driver + snow + the feeling of being invincible in an SUV/AWD car = upside down in a ditch.

I'm getting around fine in my 92 Mercury Grand Marquis (rear wheel drive, no limited slip and a V-8) and my work truck is a 2wd Chevy S-10.

Of course now, I stand in the road in the cold. Pictures below were taken Friday at work. 10 deg. F with a -2 wind chill.

Brian

Snuffy
January 10th, 2010, 04:08
21 F in Jax this A.M. Yee Haw! I can breathe finally. :applause:

Crusader
January 10th, 2010, 05:18
6 degrees F here in Southeastern Ohio but bright sun at least at 0915 . I feel for my friends in the Minn , Wis , and the upper Plains . Stay warm http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/images/icons/icon6.gif

Rich:guinness:

Crusader
January 10th, 2010, 05:24
From my fellow SOH members and friends in Florida , how's the Citrus doing in this current cold snap ?.

Rich

jmig
January 10th, 2010, 05:35
6 degrees F here in Southeastern Ohio but bright sun at least at 0915 . I feel for my friends in the Minn , Wis , and the upper Plains . Stay warm http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/images/icons/icon6.gif

Rich:guinness:

Rich, We don't need the rank below your name to know you are military. :bump:

I sometimes use the 24 hour clock just to be a smarta$$ around total civilians. You know the tree-hugger types.

Crusader
January 10th, 2010, 06:01

I sometimes use the 24 hour clock just to be a smarta$$ around total civilians. You know the tree-hugger types.

Hay John , just curious . Who's "We" ? Is this against forum rules and regulations and possibly offends somebody here ? I didn't place it there for bragging rights , just pride . Why would you respond to my weather question with a comment about my rank under my name ?http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/images/icons/icon5.gif

Rich:salute:

jmig
January 10th, 2010, 06:41
Hay John , just curious . Who's "We" ? Is this against forum rules and regulations and possibly offends somebody here ? I didn't place it there for bragging rights , just pride . Why would you respond to my weather question with a comment about my rank under my name ?http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/images/icons/icon5.gif

Rich:salute:

Rich, If I insulted you I apologize. My comment on you rank below you name, which I see you changed :(, was ONLY if reference to you saying 09:15,i.e. military style verses 9:15 civilian style.

In other words, I was saying," I see you are military by your use of military style time usage. I don't need to see it on your sleeve," It was, in my mind, a comment of respect and recognition of a fellow vet. The 'We" meant "those of us who served in the military and can read the language" of which, there are quite a few here on SOH.

Again, if I insulted you I apologize, I never intended to do so.

Crusader
January 10th, 2010, 07:07
Rich, If I insulted you I apologize. My comment on you rank below you name, which I see you changed :(, was ONLY if reference to you saying 09:15,i.e. military style verses 9:15 civilian style.

In other words, I was saying," I see you are military by your use of military style time usage. I don't need to see it on your sleeve," It was, in my mind, a comment of respect and recognition of a fellow vet. The 'We" meant "those of us who served in the military and can read the language" of which, there are quite a few here on SOH.

Again, if I insulted you I apologize, I never intended to do so.

No apology needed John. No insult infered . When I retired from miltary and civilian job we actually used military time at my civilian job too . Old habits are hard to break . Maybe I need another cup of coffee so my "old brain" cells start kicking in . Actually I was thinking about changing my avatar to . I'v had the present one along with my name for a long time out of respect for a pilot(my unit) who was killed in a flame out in an F-8 . He ejected and shoot chute opened but drown . Current avatar is from my old unit in Danang 67(VMFA-235)

Maybe Panther will loan me one of his muscle women Avatars(Or men ?):icon_lol:

Talk to you later ,

Rich

Cloud9Gal
January 10th, 2010, 07:09

Ummm excuse me Sir? I am a "total civilian" and pride myself in using military time , all the time. And on top of that, I know the military alphabet by heart...so there!
http://www.tiptopglobe.com/skin/smile/s11811.gif (http://www.tiptopglobe.com/free-smiles-smileys-emoticons-blog-forum-email)
Lima Oscar Lima !!

Teasing ya jmig! :bump:

jmig
January 10th, 2010, 07:12
Ummm excuse me Sir? I am a "total civilian" and pride myself in using military time , all the time. And on top of that, I know the military alphabet by heart...so there!
http://www.tiptopglobe.com/skin/smile/s11811.gif (http://www.tiptopglobe.com/free-smiles-smileys-emoticons-blog-forum-email)
Lima Oscar Lima !!

Teasing ya jmig! :bump:

He thinks he will go back to bed. Maybe when he gets up again he won't be insulting everyone. ;)
:monkies:

:ernae:

Snuffy
January 10th, 2010, 08:30
Boy you went and stuck yer foot in it this time .... don't let that promotion throw ya now ya hear?! :bump:

My personal opinion is ... If someone wants to display the fact that they served then more power to em ...

Those who are offended can be offended and get over it.

Carry on.

edit ....

BTW ... its warmed up to 35 here already! :)

rayrey10
January 10th, 2010, 09:04
Man it is freezin in South Florida today. It's about 40F and I've got to go to work in this lovely weather. I swear I just saw a :snowman: walking down the street.

Willy
January 10th, 2010, 11:13
It got down to 6F before I went to bed last night. We're now at a balmy 26F.

Chacha
January 10th, 2010, 11:31
Man it is freezin in South Florida today. It's about 40F and I've got to go to work in this lovely weather. I swear I just saw a :snowman: walking down the street.

It was 29F this morning at 6am ....

It's warming up.... 44F right now... awesome weather.... wearing my leather jacket on and scarf .... :applause:

Woooooooooo Hooooooooooo!

Played with snow yesterday at Daytona.... made a 12 inch snowman... it melted before I could let it stand up on a bench.... but hey I made one!

Daughter and I was throwing tiny snow balls at each other.... fun! :engel016:

Snuffy
January 10th, 2010, 12:48

Actually Rayrey ... it has to be 32 or lower to be freezing. You guys just got a minor chill in the air is all. :bump:

Deano
January 10th, 2010, 13:49
its the first time I've worn jimjams in my entire life :ernae:

Brian_Gladden
January 10th, 2010, 14:00
It was 29F this morning at 6am ....

It's warming up.... 44F right now... awesome weather.... wearing my leather jacket on and scarf .... :applause:

Woooooooooo Hooooooooooo!

Played with snow yesterday at Daytona.... made a 12 inch snowman... it melted before I could let it stand up on a bench.... but hey I made one!

Daughter and I was throwing tiny snow balls at each other.... fun! :engel016:

44 is T-shirt weather in Vermont. Hasn't been above 32 since the middle of December.:isadizzy:

Brian

GT182
January 10th, 2010, 18:49
Brian, at least it's above zero. Do you recall back a few years the temps never getting above zero for the whole month of December up in Nothern NY? Or it could have possibly been January. It's been awhile so I'm not sure the exact month.

rayrey10
January 10th, 2010, 20:10
Chacha,

My parents sent me pics of frost and stuff in the greater Orlando area. I remember it snowed in Orlando in 1986 or '87, and everybody acted like the world was gonna end.

Snuff,
That's for correcting the inaccuracy but it's my story. It was 40 degrees and snowmen seen all over S. Florida, it wasn't just a minor chill. I even saw a snowman with my own eyes, thank you very much. Can I be in charge for a little while?!! :bump:

BTW- nice avatar.

OBIO
January 10th, 2010, 20:20
It's well below freezing here in Mansfield Ohio...down to around 14 degree F tonight. We have small dogs....Chihuahua and Chihuahua/Jack Russell mix. Small dogs don't mix real well with cold weather....they get cold very quickly and their poor little feet aren't designed for walking on snow and ice. Hazel, our 8 pound Chihuahua...when she goes out, she very quickly does what she needs to do and makes a bee line for the door. Brutus, our 12 pound Chi/Jack mix....he will risk having his feet freeze off just so he can find that perfect spot to go potty. He will walk around, shivering and walking all funny, checking out one spot after another. Heck, there have been times that he insisted on walking all the way up the snow/ice covered driveway...which is several hundred feet long...just to make yellow snow by the mail box....by the time he got there and did wrote his name...so to speak...his poor little feet were starting to hurt from the pads being excessively chilled...so I picked him up and carried him back down to the house.

OBIO

Willy
January 10th, 2010, 21:44
Our Min Pins aren't wasting hardly any time on their runs outside either.

Snuffy
January 11th, 2010, 03:37
... Snuff, Thanks for correcting the inaccuracy but it's my story...
Can I be in charge for a little while?!! :bump:
BTW- nice avatar.

No problem.
Sure knock yerself out!
Thanks!

wombat666
January 11th, 2010, 05:01
As I rattle this reply out the time is 00.40 DST and the present ambient temperature is 35C ....... this at the very bottom East Coast corner of Australia.
During the day it topped out at 43C.

No change in sight just yet.
:angryfir:

BPbobafett1982
January 11th, 2010, 05:51
Current Temps where I'm at...12 degrees F. Second day above zero in about two weeks.

Last Sunday my friend thought it'd be a good day to move to his new apartment, it was 4 below out.

srgalahad
January 11th, 2010, 09:53
Man it is freezin in South Florida today. I swear I just saw a :snowman: walking down the street.

Oops Rayrey.. either some upper body part did get frozen or you might think of cutting back on those hot rum toddys...

Snowmen don't walk... they roll down the street

:icon_lol:
Rob

CG_1976
January 11th, 2010, 13:24
Oops Rayrey.. either some upper body part did get frozen or you might think of cutting back on those hot rum toddys...

Rob

Had one those after work today 8 hot rum toddys downtown. Its burrrr up here but beautiful with fresh white snow. Think its time to cross country on the ice road.

OBIO
January 11th, 2010, 15:39
Currently 20 degree F here in Mansfield, Ohio...with a gently dry powdery snow falling. It sure is pretty outside with all the snow covering the ground, icecycles hanging off the gutters and patio railings.

Last night, I had taken Brutus out for a potty and just as he was finishing up, the neighbor pulled in. I put Brutus into the garage and stayed outside talking to the neighbor. We stood outside talking for about 10 minutes, and he mentioned that it was 12 degrees....and that I was totally nuts for being outside in shorts! I suppose I am one of those people who will survive an Ice Age....must be the Neandertal in my ancestory.

OBIO

Willy
January 11th, 2010, 16:21
We had our first day over freezing in a week and a half today. 42F. Almost t-shirt weather compared to what we've been having.

srgalahad
January 11th, 2010, 17:09
Had one those after work today 8 hot rum toddys downtown. Its burrrr up here but beautiful with fresh white snow. Think its time to cross country on the ice road.

Yep.. run over to Dettah and get some fresh Whitefish. Then stop halfway back.. and think about how much water is under your keel...
We use to do that to the JT's on night tours out on the ice
" umm.. yeah.. you are in the middle of Yellowknife Bay and it's only 250 ft deep here.." :mixedsmi:

It really is a special time of year up there

viking3
January 11th, 2010, 17:44
We used to do a lot of "Crack Inspection" tours with a case of beer and whatever else. The RCMP used leave us alone out there figuring we couldn't hurt anybody. I love the sounds the ice makes as it heaves and hoes. There were Bombardier trails to follow and fishing holes to raid for a fish. Just watch out for the cracks and pressure ridges cause it changes every day with temperature and wind. We also had an ice track that the local sportscar club would build every year. What a hoot that was. Yes you can have fun at -30.

Regards, Rob:ernae:

rayrey10
January 11th, 2010, 19:34

Rob

Busted! Guess my story is full of holes! :bump:

Chacha
January 11th, 2010, 20:22

While you were walking down the street you saw a snowman? :)

Or you saw a snowman walking down the street...? :)

Busted! Guess my story is full of holes! :bump:

I saw a few snowman melting :pop4:

Chacha
January 11th, 2010, 20:23
44 is T-shirt weather in Vermont. Hasn't been above 32 since the middle of December.:isadizzy:

Brian

Brrrr!