PDA

View Full Version : REX Newcomer

falcon409
January 3rd, 2010, 06:38
Well, after having some problems with one of the needed downloads to get REX installed, I finally got everything loaded and configured and went for a flight just to see what it looks like. . .nothing special, just normal local weather.

Man, from take off, through the climb to about 7000 feet I had a big grin on my face. The sense of climbing "through" the clouds generated by REX was something I haven't experienced in FSX at all until today. I wasn't even using the highest resolution cloud textures and I didn't do a lot of the fine line tweaking for all the extras that are available, just a quickie setup using Real World Weather and the REX texture sets to see what was what.

I don't know how else to express it except. . .Wow!! I'm very happy with what I've seen in this short flight and can't wait to do some serious flying with the new toy. I've posted some images, but I don't know that they would impress anyone. . .you kinda had to be there, ya know? lol

VFR Reviews
January 3rd, 2010, 06:44
I completely know what you mean :)

Come to think of it, most of my flight simulator grinning moments have come when I was going through a patch of clouds :) Or right before entering a big storm in my 727 in Switzy, that was fun :D

Cool shots man!

heywooood
January 3rd, 2010, 07:18
REX is the bomb diggety - be sure to get their other texture downloads from Timest on their site...including the new taxiway and parking apron markings.

also a nice modified grass texture

REX has opened up FSX atmospherics just as FTX has done for the terrain and ground textures

guzler
January 3rd, 2010, 08:58
Eeek, I am being sucked in by the good reviews, I might just buckle under the self induced pressure :icon_lol:

Deano
January 3rd, 2010, 09:10
Falcon, whats happened to the front of your Heli

falcon409
January 3rd, 2010, 09:14
Falcon, whats happened to the front of your Heli
Yea, in certain screenshots that does look kinda weird. That's a clear nosepiece actually. It's the "Pyro" from Pixelcowboys. Payware for FSX and a real beauty. The nose is a bit different though.

Deano
January 3rd, 2010, 10:04
Ahh ok :) it does look a little strange. I was looking for the pilots feet :173go1:

limjack
January 3rd, 2010, 10:40
Welcome to the club falcon!! REX2 is truly amazing and brings a whole new experience to FSX. I love climbing through the clouds as well as just hanging out in them through the whole flight. Glad you like it.

Jim

6297J
January 3rd, 2010, 11:30
How does the haze layer compare to the default?

warchild
January 3rd, 2010, 22:07
I've been having fun with REX2. Since it loads up automatically on fsx startup, i always have weather, even if i leave fsx set to the default "clear skys" setting.. it's awesome..
http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k171/urushira/2009-12-22_7-38-47-157-800.jpg

abrussell
January 4th, 2010, 15:42
Hey heywooood.
I see your signature says you are the legend of Canada. As a Canadian who has never heard of you, have I missed something,eh? :icon_lol::icon_lol:
Bruce

heywooood
January 4th, 2010, 16:07
Bruce! like they say..if you don't know ya don't know :ernae:

a youth league hockey coach slapped that on me - I was a forward in an Ontario Provincial tourney - scored a natural hatty in the 1st period, then our goalie went down with a knee injury...went to our backup and when the coach tapped him to go in - the kid had the measles!!

the coach knew I played net in the rec league so when he asked me how fast I could put the gear on I told him to call timeout - there was a meeting with the officials and it was allowed - no warm up though.:kilroy:

...completed the shutout and we won some metal

I love the greatest Game on earth that hockey is :ernae:

* back on topic - REX is one of the greatest addons for FSX currently available - and will likely remain so for a long time to come

dharris
January 4th, 2010, 18:07
http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w295/dharris1_photo/2010-1-4_21-22-36-375.jpgThere just is nothing quite like a nice bunch of clouds.....

http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w295/dharris1_photo/2009-10-26_17-53-28-250.jpg

dharris
January 4th, 2010, 18:08
http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w295/dharris1_photo/2009-8-9_10-55-43-140.jpg

dharris
January 4th, 2010, 18:09
http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w295/dharris1_photo/2009-10-26_18-2-53-781.jpg

dharris
January 4th, 2010, 18:10
http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w295/dharris1_photo/2010-1-4_21-18-49-906.jpg

dharris
January 4th, 2010, 18:11
http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w295/dharris1_photo/2010-1-4_21-16-18-156.jpg

warchild
January 4th, 2010, 18:37
yeahhh, theres just something about looking up out of the cockpit and seeing 40000 feet of wall cloud.. rex is the only addon that i absolutely will not run without..

guzler
January 4th, 2010, 23:22
Ok sales guys I'm sold :ernae:

Great pictures

Marvin Carter
January 4th, 2010, 23:27
How is it on fps???

J van E
January 5th, 2010, 00:01
How is it on fps???
AFAIK REX itself (the new textures) aren't heavy on fps, but of course weather is: so if you are used to flying with the default FSX weather (just a few fluffy clouds here and there), the switch to skies covered with heavy clouds, will give you a drop in fps...! But that has nothing to do with the REX textures themselves: if you would load heavy weather with default textures, fps would also drop.
I am saying this because a lot of people fly with 'light' default weather, but after installing addons like REX, they start using other types of weather to show off their new clouds and then they start to moan that the addon is heavy on fps... while it's actually the change in weather that caused the fps drop!

jmig
January 5th, 2010, 03:49
AFAIK REX itself (the new textures) aren't heavy on fps, but of course weather is: so if you are used to flying with the default FSX weather (just a few fluffy clouds here and there), the switch to skies covered with heavy clouds, will give you a drop in fps...! But that has nothing to do with the REX textures themselves: if you would load heavy weather with default textures, fps would also drop.
I am saying this because a lot of people fly with 'light' default weather, but after installing addons like REX, they start using other types of weather to show off their new clouds and then they start to moan that the addon is heavy on fps...while it's actually the change in weather that caused the fps drop!

Here we go again....Blame it on the weather. ;)

Amazing how hard it is on the computer to generate 14 million little water droplets.

dharris
January 5th, 2010, 03:57
I am using FEX and there was no hit on my system at all. I run with clouds at 60 miles and cloud setting at max, the only time it hit fps was flying into a hurricane.

VCN-1
January 5th, 2010, 05:22
Falcon

What site did you use for purchase?

VCN-1

falcon409
January 5th, 2010, 05:32
Falcon. . .What site did you use for purchase?
VCN-1
I got it directly from their webpage using paypal. The download consists of approx. 10 separate downloads. This includes the installer, an update, the manual and the texture data sets (which are broken into around 600meg downloads). I did have problems downloading the #6 data set using the downloader tool. It continually dropped off the server and I spent hours trying to get it to work. Finally the next morning, I tried downloading directly from the download links for all those downloads and got it to work.

VCN-1
January 5th, 2010, 05:56
Thanks for the information.

VCN-1

warchild
January 5th, 2010, 07:32
I'm not noticing any frames hit at all.. Of course, i may be blind and senile ( may be?? sheesh) but it doesnt interfere with the flying at all on my system..

warchild
January 5th, 2010, 07:35
I got it directly from their webpage using paypal. The download consists of approx. 10 separate downloads. This includes the installer, an update, the manual and the texture data sets (which are broken into around 600meg downloads). I did have problems downloading the #6 data set using the downloader tool. It continually dropped off the server and I spent hours trying to get it to work. Finally the next morning, I tried downloading directly from the download links for all those downloads and got it to work.

Theres also an option to download it as a single file, which is what i used, but it's pretty hefty in size..

falcon409
January 5th, 2010, 08:10
How does the haze layer compare to the default?
See my latest thread "REX Haze" for some info on that.:salute:

VCN-1
January 5th, 2010, 09:12

Strange. #6 keeps dropping for me also.

falcon409
January 5th, 2010, 09:55
Strange. #6 keeps dropping for me also.
Yea, I even sent an e-mail to support and never got an answer concerning this. As I said I finally went to the downloads links and got it that way. Even that took three tries though because it would only go to 174 meg and then drop off. Not sure why that one file is such a pain.

FAC257
January 5th, 2010, 14:05
Same thing kept happening to me on the #6 file. As long as it was coming from the main server it kept coming as a bad/corrupt/too small DL.

Finally when I clicked to DL it and it went to the alternate server, that file DL'd fine.

I'm in odd mode right now with REX2. :)

When I first DL'd and installed it and went flying. I was so put off by what I saw compared to what I'd been use to with ASA/XG that I immediatly unistalled it and wrote it off.

Because of the interest in here, I gave REX2 another go and am currently flying in odd mode, to make sure I give it a fair shake. :)

The "odd mode" part comes from the fact that it's the exact same thing I did with ASA/XG. Loaded it up, took a look, got bummed out, immediatly un-installed it, calmed down, re-installed it and then have been hooked ever since. REX2 is currently enduring this same abuse on my part this time. :)

Here's my screenie contributions from a REX2 check ride. I was mainly looking for how it did with the tropical areas, which is where I spend most of my time flying. Some of these are water quality test shots. The last shot of the landing is one that I just really like, but there are some REX2 clouds up in the back ground.

FAC