PDA

View Full Version : Small explanation about the server crash.

huub vink
September 29th, 2008, 09:16
The cause of the problems with the forums has been identified. A 1Gb+ file with a ETO expansion pack for CFS3 is hosted on our servers.

Due to the large number of simultaneous downloads the servers got overloaded and this had great effects on other processes on the servers. One of those was the fact the databases which contained the posts and threads got corrupt. In this process, which continued like a snowball, the back-ups went corrupt as well.

Well the good news is that we know what went wrong and are able to prevent recurrence. The bad new is that it is not very likely the old threads and posts can be recovered.

The massive file will be left on the server for two weeks then deleted, this gives the CFS3 people time to setup an DVD exchange program.

Huub

MaskRider
September 29th, 2008, 09:52
Thanks for the update HV.

Good to hear that the problem is identified and can be handled.

Too bad indeed that all of those threads may be lost. They are a real archive of knowledge and experience, not to mention the attached files and things that went with the threads.

Does anyone know whether the attachments, not the images so much as the zipped files are also history?

Chris

Planes-11
September 29th, 2008, 09:58
Thanks Huub, and thanks to all for "keeping us flying".....:d

Corsair Freak
September 29th, 2008, 10:00
What happens to all of those people who only posted once to prove they're not a bot? Are they going to get zapped by Ickie's death ray if they don't re-post?

nightshade
September 29th, 2008, 12:06
:isadizzy: I hope not.

lilduckfoot2
September 29th, 2008, 13:12
Thanks for the update, Huub.

LDF

huub vink
September 29th, 2008, 14:38
Does anyone know whether the attachments, not the images so much as the zipped files are also history?

Chris,

When you open you User CP you can see your attachements. You will notice there are only attachments which are made after the crash.
So I'm afraid all attachments, including zip files, made before the crash are gone as well.

However only the database is gone. the knowledge is still between our ears. I'm convinced that whenever I have questions there will be somebody around here who can and will answer my questions.

What happens to all of those people who only posted once to prove they're not a bot? Are they going to get zapped by Ickie's death ray if they don't re-post?

I really don't have a clue, however they can always re-register and in that case I will create a new "Post your activation post in this thread" thread.

Huub

planejunky
September 29th, 2008, 16:22
The knowledge gained is a positive for the future, glad it's now sorted Huub. :applause:

TARPSBird
September 29th, 2008, 19:23
Ickie's death ray got shorted out during the storm that hit Pensacola some years back, I think it's still broke. :d

Blackbird686
September 30th, 2008, 15:21
Thanks Huub, and thanks to all for "keeping us flying".....:d

:mixedsmi::mixedsmi::mixedsmi:

Cheers -- BB686:USA-flag:

WarHorse47
September 30th, 2008, 19:28
One issue that is driving me nuts is the Google Search on the forum..

If you do a search, it comes up with what appears to be a legitimate thead.

When you go to read the thread, this is what you get.

No Thread specified. If you followed a valid link, please notify the administrator (http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/sendmessage.php)

THEREFORE, I am notifying the administrator of this issue. :isadizzy:

--WH

:d:d:d

Tom Clayton
September 30th, 2008, 22:10
Google caches a snapshot of the board. What you're finding there is just old data.

huub vink
October 1st, 2008, 10:28
Tom is correct, so you should contact the administrator from Google :costumes:.

Huub

Tom Clayton
October 1st, 2008, 21:58
Tom is correct...
For once in my life!:costumes::isadizzy: