WOS Name Microsoft® Windows Vista™ Ultimate
Version 6.0.6002 Service Pack 2 Build 6002
Other OS Description Not Available
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name JIM-PC
System Manufacturer System manufacturer
System Model System Product Name
System Type X86-based PC
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz, 2400 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date Phoenix Technologies, LTD ASUS P5N32-E SLI ACPI BIOS Revision 1302, 11/5/2007
SMBIOS Version 2.4
Windows Directory C:\Windows
System Directory C:\Windows\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
Locale United States
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "6.0.6002.18005"
User Name Jim-PC\Jim
Time Zone Pacific Standard Time
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 3.00 GB
Total Physical Memory 3.00 GB
Available Physical Memory 1.72 GB
Total Virtual Memory 6.22 GB
Available Virtual Memory 4.66 GB
Page File Space 3.29 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys

Thinking of dumping Vista 32 bit and moving on to Windows7 64 bit. From the above info first of all, would this be a good move and will my machine run it? Using the Performance info tools it said it is 64bit capable.

I do plan on upgrading the ram as well. Righ now I have the 800mg speed ram according to the small small small writing on the stick.

If I do this is it hard to uninstall Vista and reinstall the new OS, what is invovled ? Have never done this so just want to make sure it is easy to do.

I am sure more questions will arise as I ponder this decision.

Thanks all for any help.

Jim

spotlope
January 2nd, 2010, 17:58
Seems like your system would run W7-64 just fine. It's beefier than mine in some respects, and I run W7 all day long.

harleyman
January 2nd, 2010, 19:11
Clean install Win 7..Or any OS

Save everything you want first..

Put the new OS disk into the DVD drive , and reboot..When prompted, hit any key, I use space bar..

Now then...You will select fresh install..Somewhere windows will load files, then you need to select Advanced, then do a format and repartition...

Then the new OS will install after you give your key code...(my order of things may be out of sequence...)

Just remember...Repartition and format first...It will ask you for a partition size, just select the one offered..That is the whole disk...

limjack
January 2nd, 2010, 20:15
Thanks for the feedback spotlope and harleyman.

Ok, so I do have and portable external drive to save what I need on (check).

As far as what edition should I get. Windows home or ultimate. What are you guys using?
also regarding ram. What would be the highest speed I can get for my machine?

Jim

Gdavis101
January 2nd, 2010, 21:57
I could not wait to dump Vista, been running it on mine and thinking about getting the 32bit version for my laptop.

Moparmike
January 3rd, 2010, 05:07
I would also give your Vista to 7 upgrade a "thumbs up" limjack.
7 has been a bunch more stable and less buggy than Vista for me too.

As for Home Premium, Pro, or Ultimate...
A lot depends on what features you all need.
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/products/compare

My latest rig is running 7 Home Premium, but I am considering the "anytime upgrade" to either Pro or Ultimate so I have better domain abilities for my network (rat's nest) and also to get access to that XP compatibility mode (which is like a virtual machine to run XP on your rig for those really old programs).
Otherwise, I'm perfectly happy with Home Premium so far as far as my flightsimming and other general computer use.
I don't know if I'd use the network "backup & restore" tool much since I also added Acronis True Image to my rig after I bought it. Home Premium has the basic Backup & Restore tools, but not over a network...just to drives attached to the machine.

IMHO, Acronis True Image is a superb backup tool. Much more features than the one built into Winders. It's fairly fast and isn't a resource hog. Well worth the $40!

Since this wasn't really FSX specific, I moved it down to the software forum. Might get more tips, idears, & opinions from the non-FSXers here at SOH.

limjack
January 3rd, 2010, 13:49
The only thing I see that is important to me is that dog gone bitlocker. That could sell me on the higher tier of things and of course that is what they want. Ok, that question is answered. Thanks Moparmike for the link.

That leaves the ram question. Does my system support running a higher ram speed other than the 800mhz?

Thanks
Jim

Moparmike
January 3rd, 2010, 14:10
The Q6600 is a 1066MHz RAM speed processor. The front side bus speed of the motherboard is 266MHz (and multiplied by 4 = 1066MHz).

Technically all you really need is DDR2 533 RAM for that setup, 533 x Dual Data Rate (2) = 1066MHz.
By using DDR2 667 or DDR2 800 RAM you can gain a little headroom if you plan to (or do) overclock your rig by increasing the bus speed. Otherwise you don't need the faster RAM. But if the price is the same, the faster RAM won't hurt anything either.

limjack
January 3rd, 2010, 14:33
The Q6600 is a 1066MHz RAM speed processor. The front side bus speed of the motherboard is 266MHz (and multiplied by 4 = 1066MHz).

Technically all you really need is DDR2 533 RAM for that setup, 533 x Dual Data Rate (2) = 1066MHz.
By using DDR2 667 or DDR2 800 RAM you can gain a little headroom if you plan to (or do) overclock your rig by increasing the bus speed. Otherwise you don't need the faster RAM. But if the price is the same, the faster RAM won't hurt anything either.

One last question then, I am looking at newegg website and they show Windows7 ultimate 64bit http://www.newegg.com/Store/SubCategory.aspx?SubCategory=368&name=Operating-Systems
For 179.99. Does the OEM mean just a generic box and is this a good price?

I lied, 1 more question about ram. I attached a pic. I was also going to pick up same ram that is in my computer 5 5 5 12. They have 5 5 5 18 at newegg
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145153&cm_re=corsair-_-20-145-153-_-Product and the voltage looks diff.

Ickie
January 5th, 2010, 03:20
I did the update win 7 -32 ultimate on my dell laptop in Oct, and it took 7-8 hours to do it right and it runs just fine.

this weekend I am installing windows 7 - 64 ultimate on my big computer and this time I am doing a fresh install maybe it will be faster, lol.

limjack
January 5th, 2010, 07:40
Thanks all for the advice on this thread. I am out of questions for the time being and all question answered!
:ernae:

Jim

limjack
January 5th, 2010, 07:43
I did the update win 7 -32 ultimate on my dell laptop in Oct, and it took 7-8 hours to do it right and it runs just fine.

this weekend I am installing windows 7 - 64 ultimate on my big computer and this time I am doing a fresh install maybe it will be faster, lol.

Before I can do my fresh install I await my daughter to transfer all her files she needs to keep (this could take a long long long long time:icon_lol:). I as well hope my rig will be faster.

Jim

limjack
January 9th, 2010, 21:39
I survived and with a few drama moments got windows 7 64 bit up and running on my machine. I have been installing the important stuff first and now my head hurts so looks like FSX goodies will have to wait a day. Just glad to have it done with. Still much to do. At this time all devices are getting along and playing well together. The drama moments were minor but huge in my eys...black screen after installation and my mouse locked up. Black screen was solved by unpluging some cords in my computer and mouse I just have to get the right driver.

Jim

limjack
January 10th, 2010, 06:39
Through trial and error I found what plug was causing the black screen issue. My DVI cable going to graphics card seems to make screen go black when plugged in. So right now I just have the D-sub cable pluged in so running analog instead of digital.

Jim

limjack
January 10th, 2010, 09:58
Ok, got the Digital back online with my system. Plugged the DVI cable back in and changed the refresh rate from 59hz to 60hz and now it is working with no black screen issues "at least at the moment". I did reboot computer after that as well and it reverts back to 59 hz but I am still displaying in digital. Wish I new why but it works now.

Jim