PDA

View Full Version : Driving home for Christmas

Kowalski65
January 2nd, 2010, 11:38
Well,flying(obviously!) & not even for New year, let alone Xmas,so with apologies to Chris Rea,I took off to fetch the waiting science bods.The RAN helped(there was talk of the scientists discovering a new type of shrimp to throw on the barbie, so we went to get them in an SH-60. Uneventful flight,although the wind got up for the 2nd leg.

Duenna shows an odd landing field for some reason on the 1st flight,although SEII is the only one there,so I was in the right spot

Kowalski65
January 2nd, 2010, 13:26
Im giving up on jets for the night,every time I climb away I get ripped apart by overspeed! Ive tried the UKMIL C 17 & the default Jumbo but they both overspeed at about 300 kn,and Im sure they are capable of more than that!!!!
Back to warbirds for a bit of a blast now,to get the kerosene out of my system! Wonder if I can tie the scientists under the wings of a P51?

srgalahad
January 2nd, 2010, 14:01
First consider a couple of things from the real world... below 3000 ft speed is normally restricted to <180KIAS ( and 210KIAS for jets) and <250KIAS below 10,000ft so no, they aren't really designed to go a lot faster ( the Default 747: max_indicated_speed= 365.0__//Red line (KIAS))
Full power (or required EPR) is intended to get a big, fat bird accelerating to takeoff speed within 2 states, three counties or a too-short runway, but once airborne you have more than enough thrust available... reduce power.
As Fliger posted once before (before the Great Crash?) things like the 747 are normally held to 210-250KIAS during climb -weight and AOA dependent - til FL210 or above (IIRC) and then allowed to accelerate. Yes, you can climb many at higher speeds ( but below the Vne) but you'll still need to reduce power.

You can do it!

PRB
January 2nd, 2010, 14:41
Yep, one of the greatest challenges of the big jet beasties is knowing what the overspped limit is, and not exceeding it. Those tubes have a much slower "no-exceed" speed than the WW-II warbirds, at low altitude. They have such power that you have to throttle back big time to keep from overspeeding down low. At altitude, you're greater worry is Mach limit. Aren't jets fun? :icon_lol: