PDA

View Full Version : New Scenery Idea...

letsgetrowdy
January 2nd, 2010, 08:22
Some us may have watched the LWT show in the 80's called "Piece of Cake", which was based on Derek Robinson's book of the same name. It followed the lives of the ficticious RAF "Hornet Squadron" in France, and then the South of Britain, through 1938-40, particually noting the "Phony War".
I bring this controversial series up, as after watching the series on DVD recently, I was inspired by the location for the airstrip in France, which was a beautiful chateaux in the countryside, with a couple of grass runways. In the series, the chateaux was used as the officer's mess and looked terrific with six Spitfires on the lawn outside.
The actual location of this site was Charlton House/Park in Wiltshire. It was not really dissimilar from Longleat House, and has three grass runways.
If, in time, an FSX scenery became avialable for this Chateaux (freeware or Payware), what eye-candy that would be with RealAir Spitfires parked up in front of the house!
Have a search for Piece of Cake on youtube, I think user "vulcanfanman" has uploaded a few clips from the series, and you'll see what I mean about it being a beautiful place, especially in evening light.
Here's a screeny from Google Earth showing the estate now, with its tree-lined grass runways.

http://i693.photobucket.com/albums/vv297/areureadytogetrowdy/Untitled-1-1.jpg

Matt Wynn
January 2nd, 2010, 08:41
Falcon you want to do it? i know you like your scenery creation now, i'm a bit busy on the Zivko Edge 540 :icon_lol:

letsgetrowdy
January 2nd, 2010, 08:48
Haha...I don't really expect anyone to jump to it lol, it's a little obscure, but a nice idea nevertheless...
Have a look here at a clip from the series.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSo5JN9pa9o

oh, and look here, this is how the Home looks best in evening light...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RsxTocDwUKA&feature=related

IanP
January 2nd, 2010, 08:50
I'm already doing something not dissimilar, but need to actually make myself the stately home to go at the end of the runway, so there may be a few things similar to this around eventually...

Although my French field will have a farm at the end, not a chateau. The stately home will be the British end of my operation.

Matt Wynn
January 2nd, 2010, 08:54
it beats my idea i'm sketching down, an ace combat style superweapon, complete with an airbase inside a 'tunnel' :icon_lol:

falcon409
January 2nd, 2010, 08:59
Falcon you want to do it? i know you like your scenery creation now, i'm a bit busy on the Zivko Edge 540 :icon_lol:
Yep, but this deserves more than I have talent for. The actual buildings should be modeled and I have no desire to do 3d modeling, I've tried it numerous times and found it boring and time consuming. This needs someone who has the desire to see it through to a full completion.

IanP
January 2nd, 2010, 09:02
How about if I make a stately home, you make him the photorealistic grounds as I haven't got a clue how to do that? :)

It'll be a while before I'm stupid brave enough to try and make an entire stately home, though. The farm'll be done first!

Matt Wynn
January 2nd, 2010, 09:03
i'll have a go at making a chateau/stately home style building :jump::jump: *FIRES UP FSDS*

spotlope
January 2nd, 2010, 09:03
I love that series - even bought it on DVD. It's a good idea for someone who has the time to do it justice.

letsgetrowdy
January 2nd, 2010, 09:08
[QUOTE=IanP;327428]I'm already doing something not dissimilar, but need to actually make myself the stately home to go at the end of the runway, [QUOTE]

I suggest that use use the FSX Acceleration default scenery for Longleat House, for your statley home, as it could represent any house, and looks remarkably similar to the Pice of Cake house.

falcon409
January 2nd, 2010, 10:19
Looks like you guys have it under control. I look forward to the finished product.:salute:

IanP
January 2nd, 2010, 10:32
Aww. But you can do photoreal ground textures Falcon, something I am spectacularly incapable of achieving. ;)

And you could use Longleat, although that would only work for those using Accel.

The whole point of mine was for me to learn and do all the modelling. It's also similar too, not based on the situation you're describing, instead being based on something I wrote after spending far too long playing Battle of Britain II and making dead stick landings after being shot up. It's based around the premise of a Spitfire Mk.I being able to land, engine out, along the access road between an avenue of trees although had he looked a bit harder, the house's owners actually had a far easier landing strip around the back of the house. I got that far, but the landing run is a bit short, as can be seen from the screenshot below and the house (behind shot, out of view) is currently one of Ted Andrews Officers Mess buildings. So now I just need to model a summer house, the main house, the grounds and, oh, pretty much everything except four rows of trees and an access road, really!

Out of interest I do have and have read Robinson's books (at least the one being discussed here and the Bomber squadron one), but I don't like his writing style so wasn't that fond of them. I'll happily accept being in the minority there. I can't stand the Dirk Pitt books, either, which is apparently a cardinal sin. ;)

Matt Wynn
January 2nd, 2010, 10:40
well if i do the photoscenery base and give it to falcon maybe he'll be nice and autogen it up for us :kilroy:

letsgetrowdy
January 2nd, 2010, 11:02
Smoothie, can you locate the photoscenery texture for Charlton House Park and add it to the scenery? If so, what a result!!! search it on google earth/maps and you'll see it.

In the past, I have used Longleat as a Piece of Cake-like-set, but it has only one runway . The house on the other hand is magnificent, and will, on its own, display in FSX without Acceleration. Could one not simply just use that house instead of creating a new Charlton House?

IanP
January 2nd, 2010, 11:50
You have to have the scenery library BGL for Longleat to display, rowdy. That BGL file is part of the Acceleration pack, which is why people without the expansion pack wouldn't see it. It's not a default FSX object - indeed I can't even find the library that contains it right now.

The other problem is that it isn't just the big house - there's a lot more to the complex, if you look to the North of where you've clipped off your shot. Sticking down the house would take twenty seconds. Creating an AFD file for Spitfires to fly from it would take anywhere between ten minutes and an hour or so. Placing autogen trees and putting something on all the other building positions that are missing from your rotated shot would take considerably longer!!!

letsgetrowdy
January 2nd, 2010, 12:11
Ok thanks for clarification Ian. I am unexperianced with FSX scenery, and know little about how it all works, or doesn't :d
I understand that it would take a considerable time and effort to create such scenery.

falcon409
January 2nd, 2010, 12:23
So who is doing what?

letsgetrowdy
January 2nd, 2010, 12:37
I don't know:confused:
I didn't expect to get so much enthusiasm for the idea, and I'm quite delighted that people here are keen on it. I thought that this thread would drift into the background without any posts, and be gone forever.
As I'm not a scenery creator (once I'm past repainting, I'm lost in FS world), so I cannot say who will do what, as I do not have authority to command construction of this scenery set, I'll keep quiet and see what goes on!

IanP
January 2nd, 2010, 12:47
Well apart from anything else, I'd seriously download SBuilderX and ADE. Take a look at doing scenery design because to the level that I do, for my stuff for example, it's really not that hard at all. It's primarily drag and drop or selecting from menus.

When you do what falcon does and start doing photoreal backgrounds, then it gets harder and when you get up to doing what people like Bill Womack do then it's an entire job in itself, but at the basic level, it's pretty easy and you can learn and achieve a lot quite quickly.

I'm investigating creating photorealistic backgrounds again right now, but off the top of my head, I'm not sure anyone is doing much beyond me plodding on with mine between WW2 fields. ;)

I'll take a look, but you won't see anything from me in the immediate future because right now it's above my skills and knowledge level. I do like the idea though.

MCDesigns
January 2nd, 2010, 12:58
Very interesting thread. I had a look also at the photoreal part and was unable to get a good image, hopefully Ed will have better luck if he tries.

Ian, to be honest, the photoreal part is easier than adjusting the ADE/Afcad file, it's the modeling that takes time.

Look forward to what you guys come up with

falcon409
January 2nd, 2010, 12:59
Well, I opened up SBuilderX and using their mapping utility found that out of three servers (GoogleEarth, Yahoo Satellite and Virtual Earth Satellite), Virtual Earth is the only one that would even get in close enough to see the field in question and that image was awful. The other two. . .nada, just a white screen which just means there's nothing hi-res for that area. That's usually the way it has worked for me, I can zoom right into an area in Google Earth, but load up SBuilderX and go to that same area and it won't give me anything. Pretty frustrating.
I'm going to try the USGS site and see what I can get, but I've never had any luck with that one at all.

falcon409
January 2nd, 2010, 13:11
Nothing at all via the USGS Seamless Server.:salute:

letsgetrowdy
January 2nd, 2010, 13:27
i don't really understand how this works - can you copy and paste a background texture image into your scenery editor, and then place autogen on that? Sorry, if i'm way off, then do correct me...

MCDesigns
January 2nd, 2010, 13:37
i don't really understand how this works - can you copy and paste a background texture image into your scenery editor, and then place autogen on that? Sorry, if i'm way off, then do correct me...

Basically, the app SBuilderX has plugins that d/l the same satellite tiles that you see in google and other mapping apps. Then it converts them to a format (BGL) that will let you map the photoreal image over the tiles in FSX, thus creating photoreal terrain. There is another app in the SDK, autogen annotater, that you can load your photoreal BGL in and it allows you to place autogen objects on your photoreal tiles.

IanP
January 2nd, 2010, 13:41
There's a known issue with Google Earth and applications like SBuilderX, that GE keep changing their URL format specifically to prevent third party applications using it. You'll find the URL format, set it, then it'll change within a week.

Presumably there must be a way to find out what URL they're using this week and to get the information from there, but I don't know what it is unfortunately.

Michael: I can create entire blocks of photoscenery - I managed that accidentally and learned how to do it in about three clicks. It's the "just getting the little bit I want" that I don't see how to do without taking a whole swathe and deleting the rest in a graphical editing application, which seems a bit overcomplicated.

MCDesigns
January 2nd, 2010, 13:47
Ian, you mean the blend part?

letsgetrowdy
January 2nd, 2010, 13:54
So is it impossible to find the base image for Charlton Park on SBuilderX?

NoNewMessages
January 2nd, 2010, 14:10
What are the coordinates of the capture? I have SBX going and can see if GE is active or not.

MCDesigns
January 2nd, 2010, 14:11
So is it impossible to find the base image for Charlton Park on SBuilderX?

No, certain areas of the world have coverage and some don't. Some have great resolution and others don't and each server has their own color correction, etc. The one that has the image isn't very good and as such would not work well in FSX.

IanP
January 2nd, 2010, 14:14
It's possible, but it's not a particularly good image. I had a look at it.

Michael: I mean that, for instance, at level 15 in SBuilderX I can take an 8 x 4 or whatever it is (other PC is doing something else right now and I can't check) background image, but I only actually need a small part of that. I know that I'll need to blend it in by creating a transparency, but it seems a bit silly to have to blend out the majority of the image when you only ever wanted part of it.

Google Earth is a page of "Failed to Download" messages, as I'd expect. The only one that even thinks about working, as usual, is Virtual Earth.

falcon409
January 2nd, 2010, 14:16
What are the coordinates of the capture? I have SBX going and can see if GE is active or not.
lat_ 51.599349°
Lon_ -2.078239°

falcon409
January 2nd, 2010, 14:21
Geeze louise, 10 minutes ago it would give me anything:

MCDesigns
January 2nd, 2010, 14:23
SWEET Ed!

IanP
January 2nd, 2010, 14:25
I'll have a basic ADEX file done for it in about half an hour. I got the image from Virtual Earth and compiled that to see how bad it actually looks in the sim. ;)

falcon409
January 2nd, 2010, 14:30
SWEET Ed!
Yea sometimes it's a mystery how GE works. All I could get the last time I tried was a white screen. I had to zoom out to take in all of the UK before it would even give me an image. Weird!!

NoNewMessages
January 2nd, 2010, 14:31
BING! Goes to level 18, but is awfully green and would need to be color corrected... a little.

I saved it if anyone wants it.

falcon409
January 2nd, 2010, 14:41
BING! Goes to level 18, but is awfully green and would need to be color corrected... a little.

Thanks. . .I must have gotten it around the same time. Ok, before I go any further is anyone else already beyond this stage of the image? I don't want to go on to color correct, blend, etc if someone is already into that stage.

MCDesigns
January 2nd, 2010, 14:43

Nice, good resolution, looking forward to the final on this.

IanP
January 2nd, 2010, 14:43
I'm using the level 16 (Virtual Earth and BING! are the same THING! Sorry. Couldn't resist that. ;)) to base an AFD file on. It really is phenomenally over colourised.

OK. Let's see what it looks like in the sim...

(Edit coming up shortly with a pic, I hope...)

If anyone reading this isn't doing anything else, can someone try and find out which BGL file Longleat House is in, please?

falcon409
January 2nd, 2010, 14:52
Ok, I think enough hands in the pot here, lol. By the time I post something two others have already gone beyond what I'm doing. So you guys take this and if there's anything I can do down the road, feel free to PM me. For now, I'm going on to something else.:salute:

IanP
January 2nd, 2010, 14:59
This is with no colour correction, no autogen, no water mask for that puddle at the end of the runway, nothing - because I don't know how to do any of that stuff.

It's at level 16 (so the area would need to be widened a lot) and there are some issues with the mesh that could cause grief with flattens. The colouring is way too green - as you can see against the summer textures, which aren't that bad (although winter, as expected, looks terrible.)

Oh. And that hangar is TINY. That would need to be hand built, because the smallest default object hangars are five times the size.

The third shot shows what it's like up close with the ground texture detail slider fully right.

IanP
January 2nd, 2010, 15:51
Well as I seem to be the only person here now and I need sleep, I've uploaded what I have to my site so anyone else who wants a play can grab it and, er, play.

There are two directories in the folder. The "charltonpark" one is the compiled FSX scenery, which you can dump in FSX/Addon Scenery, add using the Scenery Library editor and look at. The ADE one is exactly what it says on the can. It contains the jpg I used as a background, the text file containing the co-ordinates for the background and the ADEX work file for the aerodrome. Just copy and paste - it won't overwrite anything in your ADE install.

I've been through every directory and scenery object I can see looking for Longleat and not found it, so wherever ACES have hidden it, they've hidden it in a folder and bgl file not called "Longleat", "XPack" or "Acceleration".

FileZilla says it'll be finished in about six minutes, so if anyone wants the file, wait until after whatever the next round hour is on your clock (0100 here in Blighty) and the link should work. If you try it before, you'll get a partial file or no file found.

http://www.ianpsdarkcorner.co.uk/modern/charltonpark/CharltonPark.zip

falcon409
January 2nd, 2010, 16:29
Here's what I was able to get for an image. The green is a bit off and needs to be somewhat deeper in color, but overall, not too bad.

falcon409
January 2nd, 2010, 18:19
With some additional color correction and changed to something other than the gosh-awful winter texture that turns the south of England into a desert of all things, lol.

Addendum to last post: Night map!

MCDesigns
January 2nd, 2010, 18:59
Looks great Ed! :ernae:

falcon409
January 2nd, 2010, 19:04
Thanks. . .I added a shot of the night mapping too.
Some "low level" intensity rwy lights down each side of both rwys might not look too bad. . .it's gonna be really dark in that area during a night approach, lol

falcon409
January 2nd, 2010, 21:15
Last shots for this evening. Added Autogen vegetation (some trees need to be smaller and some more added in some places (rows)), added water to the pond and the swimming pool. I'll add a flatten, only under the two rwys and no place else. The mesh problems that IanP had don't show in mine, which means whatever I do, will probably not work for everyone, lol. . .big surprise.

letsgetrowdy
January 2nd, 2010, 23:45
Wow!!!!!:ernae: It's amazing what you guys have achieved in one night, this is truly fantastic! Really looking forward to the finished result, I know it will be something special. This was a nice treat to wake up to.

colihamp
January 3rd, 2010, 01:11
I love this series - watched it when it was first screened and then bought it again recently on DVD. Some fantastic flying sequences by RH and co.

Look forward to seeing the finished result.

IanP
January 3rd, 2010, 01:52
The flatten is only an issue depending on what you decide to flatten, really. Because I automatically rigged the place for AI, with taxi paths, a hold and both runways activated, I had to flatten quite a bit. If you didn't and left it as a slope, you'd lose wheels underground occasionally as you move around, but it would be more realistic. Or you could just flatten the runways and taxiway to the hangar, but that leaves a significant up-slope behind the hangar as it is quite a bit higher than the centrepoint of the runways (which, surprisingly, is actually the crossing point).

The other things that concerns me a little about the area of grass from the hangar to the larger runway is that there are two trees that overhang it. Knowing how big the crash detection boxes are around some FS objects, those might not be possible to put in, unless you always want to taxi with crash detection turned off.

guzler
January 3rd, 2010, 02:05
This is cool. I am just reading the book "Fighter Pilot" by Paul Richie which is about his life in the Battle for France in a Hurricane squadron, very immersive. A great read for anyone who enjoys such books. Looking forward to this, cheers

daytonite_andy
January 3rd, 2010, 02:08
I've been through every directory and scenery object I can see looking for Longleat and not found it, so wherever ACES have hidden it, they've hidden it in a folder and bgl file not called "Longleat", "XPack" or "Acceleration".

Great project...:applause:

I had a search through the bgl files using Instant Scenery from Flight 1.

In the FSXP_Buildings.bgl the main building is;

LDM_Longleat_House01

Also, there are some trees native to the UK in fsxp_missionobjects.bgl.
Filenames;

Longleat_Tree_BlackPoplar_01
Longleat_Tree_BlackPoplar_02
Longleat_Tree_BlackPoplar_03
Longleat_Tree_Chestnut_01
Longleat_Tree_Chestnut_02
Longleat_Tree_Chestnut_03
Longleat_Tree_Oak_01
Longleat_Tree_Oak_02
Longleat_Tree_Oak_03

Instant Scenery is opened inside FSX so where these bgl files reside in the program I do not know. I'm searching now......

daytonite_andy
January 3rd, 2010, 02:23
OK, the search is complete.....

The bgl files can be found in

Microsoft Flight Simulator X\Scenery\Global\scenery

Hope that helps.

IanP
January 3rd, 2010, 02:57
Thanks very much Andy - I'll stick that into the AFD file and reupload shortly.

I'll be honest - at half midnight this morning, my search could probably have been better than it was! :icon_lol::sleep:

falcon409
January 3rd, 2010, 03:18
. . . . .The other things that concerns me a little about the area of grass from the hangar to the larger runway is that there are two trees that overhang it. Knowing how big the crash detection boxes are around some FS objects, those might not be possible to put in, unless you always want to taxi with crash detection turned off.
Ian, all I have to do is edit the photoimage to remove the trees.:salute:

falcon409
January 3rd, 2010, 03:21
Great project...:applause:

I had a search through the bgl files using Instant Scenery from Flight 1.

In the FSXP_Buildings.bgl the main building is;

LDM_Longleat_House01

Also, there are some trees native to the UK in fsxp_missionobjects.bgl.
Filenames;

Longleat_Tree_BlackPoplar_01
Longleat_Tree_BlackPoplar_02
Longleat_Tree_BlackPoplar_03
Longleat_Tree_Chestnut_01
Longleat_Tree_Chestnut_02
Longleat_Tree_Chestnut_03
Longleat_Tree_Oak_01
Longleat_Tree_Oak_02
Longleat_Tree_Oak_03

Instant Scenery is opened inside FSX so where these bgl files reside in the program I do not know. I'm searching now......
I've always had those in Instant Scenery, it just depends (in the options) what global and local object libraries you select to be available. I usually don't use anything that shows to be "FSXP" because that limits it only to those who have Accel, but yes, those are easily accessible.

MCDesigns
January 3rd, 2010, 03:42
I've always had those in Instant Scenery, it just depends (in the options) what global and local object libraries you select to be available. I usually don't use anything that shows to be "FSXP" because that limits it only to those who have Accel, but yes, those are easily accessible.

Interesting thought process Ed. I would use the accell items over 3rd party objects, but I do try to use as few as possible when working on scenery. Interesting that Ian has mesh issues and you don't, wonder what is causing that as that area really doesn't have any mountains or such.. I'd just flatten the whole airfield, with the area being so flat I doubt it would be noticeable much.

Seeing Ian's response on the trees and crash detection made me wonder, how many actually fly with it on? Seeing as there is no damage modeling in FSX, I can't see a reason to ever turn it on and when I make objects I always remove the crash boxes.

Looking good guys! :ernae:

IanP
January 3rd, 2010, 03:50
I don't know why ADE didn't pick those up when it did its initial scan, seeing as it has picked up most things from the default directories. That might be specific to my machine, I don't know.

Anyway. I tried doing this with the A2A WW2F Spitfire I and it didn't work. I'm having problems with the model of that for some reason and it isn't visible in tower view or when used as AI, but it's fine in spot view. Anyway. Here's a later war variation. ;)

Longleat House is much bigger than Charlton Park, so it would still be better to try and model something more like the real building if possible.

Michael: There's a >20m drop across the airfield. It's not massive, but if the flatten is too big, you end up with a distinct slope behind the hangar. Moving the field up a bit would just move the problem to the other end and you'd get a big drop off on the south edge instead. We need the ability to have sloped runways in whatever sim comes next (and don't mention :pop4: X-Plane!)

falcon409
January 3rd, 2010, 03:55
. . . . .Seeing Ian's response on the trees and crash detection made me wonder, how many actually fly with it on? Seeing as there is no damage modeling in FSX, I can't see a reason to ever turn it on and when I make objects I always remove the crash boxes.
Yea, I turned crash detection off years ago when I started flying MP a lot and found people spawning right on top of me or taxiing into me to get to another parking space, lol.:isadizzy:

falcon409
January 3rd, 2010, 03:57
I'm going to add a flatten just to cover the taxiways and rwys and see what that looks like when loaded. I'm also in the process of adding buildings right now.:salute:

IanP
January 3rd, 2010, 04:15
My flatten now covers just the light green field to the west, the runways, taxiways and a tiny area in front of the house where the four RAMP_MIL_COMBAT spots are in the East. I don't think there's much point in my going any further with it now, though, because the thing that'll make the most difference is the masking work you're doing.

If you like, though, I'll knock together a tiny hangar to go next to that bit of concrete? That shouldn't take long. Not doing the house, though, sorry. I saw photos of it and went a funny colour. :icon_lol:

falcon409
January 3rd, 2010, 04:30
two shots with the flatten in place. It actually leaves a nice rolling/uneven area off the main rwys and taxiways that looks very natural. No sharp edges or cliffs. Looks pretty cool actually from the ground. . .not quite as evident from the air though.

falcon409
January 3rd, 2010, 05:12
One more with some buildings in place. IanP, I found a hangar that seems to work ok. . .part of the "Airport_Buildings_AP.bgl"

falcon409
January 3rd, 2010, 06:50
I'm stopping anything further until later this afternoon. My recent surgery makes it kinda tough to sit in one position for an extended period of time and sleep has been a problem as well, so I'm taking a break for a bit. BBL:salute:

letsgetrowdy
January 3rd, 2010, 06:58
:medals:Absolutely Fantastic, glad you found that Longleat scenery!

Bomber_12th
January 3rd, 2010, 07:05
Just excellent stuff, Ed! I can't wait to fly some Mustangs and Spitfires out of there - England is my most flown-in region, by far, and it will be great to have this scenery right where I do most of my virtual flying, and of the types of airfields I most enjoy.

Wittpilot
January 3rd, 2010, 08:13
Me too... Looks like great fun...

robcap
January 3rd, 2010, 10:22
I didn't catch up with this thread earlier, but now it's already 4 pages long!
Great to see this develope, and I'm certainly going to do some flying from here when it's finished.:jump:
Great work guys:ernae:
R.

letsgetrowdy
January 3rd, 2010, 23:19
Hornet Squadron are also awaiting their new home! (In actual fact, the Spitfires used in Piece of Cake were mainly mark IX, just painted in early war camoflage).

http://i693.photobucket.com/albums/vv297/areureadytogetrowdy/2010-1-3_21-42-11-370.jpg

http://i693.photobucket.com/albums/vv297/areureadytogetrowdy/2010-1-3_21-39-43-96.jpg

http://i693.photobucket.com/albums/vv297/areureadytogetrowdy/2010-1-3_21-40-35-45.jpg

http://i693.photobucket.com/albums/vv297/areureadytogetrowdy/2010-1-3_21-40-45-998.jpg

http://i693.photobucket.com/albums/vv297/areureadytogetrowdy/2010-1-3_21-43-19-418.jpg

http://i693.photobucket.com/albums/vv297/areureadytogetrowdy/2010-1-3_21-47-12-378.jpg

falcon409
January 4th, 2010, 05:10
How do you do that?

Matt Wynn
January 4th, 2010, 05:18
FS recorder Falcon :salute: or i think it is

GBrutus
January 4th, 2010, 05:22
Awesome stuff, guys. :salute:

falcon409
January 4th, 2010, 05:24
FS recorder Falcon :salute: or i think it is
Ahh, ok:salute:

falcon409
January 4th, 2010, 05:32
Here are a few shots from late last evening/early this morning (before I went to bed) doing some TG's in the P-38 as a test.
The mesh problem IanP spoke of was so subtle that I failed to notice it until I started placing objects. . .then it was much more obvious. I did several flattens in that area and stair stepped the elevations to get everything more or less to a point where it's workable. I also adjusted the photoimage to remove a few buildings that were caught in that stair step and looked very odd and unworkable and also removed a few trees in the way along the taxiway from the hangar.

Hopefully this will be ready by this afternoon for posting in the downloads section.:salute:

letsgetrowdy
January 4th, 2010, 05:39
wonderful work. yes I did do that with fs-recorder.
If its ok, could Ian add some vintage jeeps/breifing tents in front of the house, like in piece of cake? or am I pushing my luck? :jump:

falcon409
January 4th, 2010, 05:42
wonderful work. yes I did do that with fs-recorder.
If its ok, could Ian add some vintage jeeps/breifing tents in front of the house, like in piece of cake? or am pushing my luck? :jump:
I'm out of the loop on that film, never saw it, I'll look see if I have those objects. . .I do have tents, vintage automobiles, I'll just have to check and see if they are of the right era.

"After a bit of searching I discovered this was actually a TV Series in the late 80's. Is it available online by chance or Video"

falcon409
January 4th, 2010, 06:17
I "googled" the title and watched some youtube vids of some of the episodes. Short of finding a nice aerial view of the castle and the area around it, I saw enough clips to at least get an idea of where the tents and other buildings were situated.

Time to go back into the sim and do some additional placements. After this, I'll have to go out and find the DVD of the series, lol.

spotlope
January 4th, 2010, 06:24
I got my copy of it on Amazon.com, Ed.

letsgetrowdy
January 4th, 2010, 06:34
Yes it is a brilliant series in my opinion, but it was a very controversial one. My godfather was the aerial camera director for this show, and he frequently tells me all about it. It challenged the steriotypical view that all RAF pilots were heroes. Many of the characters bickered and often shot down their own aircraft accidentaly. Derek Robinson was trying to more acuratly portray the Battle of France.
When i say tents/jeeps I mean WWII ones, camoflaged green ones and ambulance vans, such as the ones IanP uses in his other sceneries eg. Bodmin...

Ed have a look at user "Vulcanfanmans's" PoC videos on youtube. It's located on the piece of grass outside the House, before the tree-lined runway.

falcon409
January 4th, 2010, 07:01
. . . . .When i say tents/jeeps I mean WWII ones, camoflaged green ones and ambulance vans, such as the ones IanP uses in his other sceneries eg. Bodmin. . .Ed have a look at user "Vulcanfanmans's" PoC videos on youtube. It's located on the piece of grass outside the House, before the tree-lined runway.
I don't have any of Ian's sceneries, but I do have a lot of RAF objects from Ted Andrews scenery libraries. I'll take a look and see what I can dredge up. I have to put this on hold for now. Got a follow-up doctors visit after surgery, so I'll be back at it later. I have a pretty good handle on where it goes now after watching some of the clips. Thanks!!

IanP
January 4th, 2010, 07:41
Bodmin? I ain't done a Bodmin! Gimme chance to get the ones done already on my list! :icon_lol:

The only vehicles I've used prior to Fowlmere v1.1 have been the default "Truck Military", which looks vaguely like a British WW2 era truck and "Truck Fuel Military" which is a phenomenally American deuce-and-a-half with a tank on the back. I don't use them at RAF air bases, only USAAF ones.

The trucks, ambulance and jeeps I put in at the last incarnation of Fowlmere were by MCDesigns and are FS9 models from the Donationware Corsair Anthology pack (the FS9 one, not the CFS one).

What you really want are Austin K2 series wagons all over the place, doing everything, but I've not actually got a model of one of those yet. Maybe I'll try a truck after I've tried and failed to build a stately home. :)

I should probably add to this that there's nothing of mine at all in Falcon's scenery - it's entirely his own work. I stopped when it was clear that not only had he already done all that I had and more, but it looked better as well... ;)

letsgetrowdy
January 4th, 2010, 07:51
Oh sorry, I was getting confused :icon_lol:

falcon409
January 4th, 2010, 08:49
Oh sorry, I was getting confused :icon_lol:
NP, I was too, lol.
One more shot. . .is this close to what you were wanting?

letsgetrowdy
January 4th, 2010, 09:08
Yes, yes absolutely wonderful! I have a huge thank-you to make:

I feel somewhat guilty that you have given up your time to create this place, so I want you to recieve a HUGE apprieciation from me and all of the SoH members who'll enjoy flying from this location!
:ernae: it's perfect as it is!

Bomber_12th
January 4th, 2010, 09:16
This airfield will definitely be getting plenty of use from me - thank you Ed for brining this idea to life! And I assume that by how you make the scenery, one can simply remove a BGL file or two and can switch the 'movie set' military buildings/vehicles on and off, which is excellent.

falcon409
January 4th, 2010, 09:19
Not a big deal really. After my job went away in August, I was really depressed big time, wondering how I was ever going to make it financially and it has not been easy to be sure. . .but you adapt, you make it work and you enjoy what you have, which consists of my two granddaughters and this new found love/hate relationship with scenery design, lol. It can be extremely gratifying and depressing at the same time, lol.

I am just happy that I can put what I've learned on my own and what other talented developers like Bill Womack, Holger Sandman, jdhaenens, LCsims, Michael (MCDesigns), IanP, JoeW, kjb, Gary (I know I'll forget somebody, lol) and others have contributed to my knowledge base, to produce scenery that folks actually enjoying flying into and around and out of, lol. I still have a lot to learn and I'm working on that, but it'll come along, little by little.

Thanks again!!:salute:

falcon409
January 4th, 2010, 09:22
This airfield will definitely be getting plenty of use from me - thank you Ed for brining this idea to life! And I assume that by how you make the scenery, one can simply remove a BGL file or two and can switch the 'movie set' military buildings/vehicles on and off, which is excellent.
Yep, that entire section is a separate bgl, so if you want to retro, you can leave it in, or leave it out and be more modern.:salute:

letsgetrowdy
January 4th, 2010, 09:23
Are you going to send this to IanP to upload?

Snuffy
January 4th, 2010, 09:25
While we're on the subject of WW2 European airfields ...

Anyone know where I can find all the Luftwaffe bases before the D-Day Invasion for FSX?

falcon409
January 4th, 2010, 09:28
Are you going to send this to IanP to upload?
Not unless he asks me to. I can upload it here to SOH and I also have a file sharing site that I can upload to and get a direct link to post for instant downloading as well.

letsgetrowdy
January 4th, 2010, 09:29
Ok, I eagerly await!

IanP
January 4th, 2010, 09:55
While we're on the subject of WW2 European airfields ...

Anyone know where I can find all the Luftwaffe bases before the D-Day Invasion for FSX?

If you ever find it, I want it too. :)

I do know that the "Boys from Abbeville" was a fictional invention, but that the Germans did use Abbeville airfield. What they used it for, I'm not sure.

I do have a book that shows Luftwaffe aircraft allocations to bases during the Battle of Britain, but no later than that.

Regarding this scenery, I have no claim on it whatsoever... I'm more than happy to host it if anyone wants me to and I'll probably post a link to it wherever falcon puts it, for anyone visiting my site who doesn't already come here (I get a few... mainly from French forums for some reason!), though.

P.S. Bodmin airfield is a new invention, not a WW2 RAF field. It's off the list again. Sorry! ;)

letsgetrowdy
January 4th, 2010, 10:36
Oh I never meant it to be on your list, I meant to write bodney!! sorry

letsgetrowdy
January 4th, 2010, 11:03
so will you upload it here, Ed or post it to Ian's page? If you'd like, I'll write the "blurb info" for it that goes under the upload, and PM it to you.

IanP
January 4th, 2010, 11:06
Ed already answered that rowdy... he's uploading it here once he's done. ;)

falcon409
January 4th, 2010, 11:06
so will you upload it here, Ed or post it to Ian's page? If you'd like, I'll write the "blurb info" for it that goes under the upload, and PM it to you.
I'll upload it here and to the file sharing site and I'll send IanP a copy as well that he can post on his site if he wants to. Sad to admit it, but I have never been on Ian's site, so I'm not familiar with it enough to post something even If I wanted to, lol.

letsgetrowdy
January 4th, 2010, 11:15
Sorry mate, just so excited about this one!

IanP
January 4th, 2010, 11:43
I'll upload it here and to the file sharing site and I'll send IanP a copy as well that he can post on his site if he wants to. Sad to admit it, but I have never been on Ian's site, so I'm not familiar with it enough to post something even If I wanted to, lol.

You can't post... I'd have to. No particular reason other than it's easier for me to control that way and, so far, the only developers who have stuff on there are Ted Andrews within the terms of his license, Bill Womack with specific permission from him and little old me. :)

My corner of the internet is a pretty specific interest site so I wouldn't expect 99.9% of people to ever want or need to go there. Indeed I'm always slightly surprised when people actually do.

In this case, I'm more than happy to host it, but can equally just put up a story and/or page with a link to it at the file sharing site or just pointing people here?

We might have noticed that someone is a little excited about this one... ;) :d

I'd just like to add my thanks to Ed for putting all the work in that you have on this. It is appreciated. :applause: