PDA

View Full Version : Salmon pink screen???

ndicki
November 1st, 2008, 07:02
Hello!

I've come back to CFS1 for a bit of a change from my usual CFS3 (and my "real" computer is sulking, but that's another story...) and I've found an old friend of a bug. My screen has gone a beautiful shade of pale pinky-beige, and it won't go back! I had this before with CFS under W98, but it usually shook itself back together after a while. Now it won't! (W XP Home SP2).

I imagine this is one you're very familiar with, but bear with me - I'm a long way from home! :costumes:

Any suggestions?

winslow33
November 1st, 2008, 07:33
I used to get that under Windows 98. I figured out that it was related to my graphics card, but I couldn't find any special fix. Unplugging the computer and plugging it back in used to help, although it's hard on your hard drive.:isadizzy:

ndicki
November 1st, 2008, 07:55
I used to get that under Windows 98. I figured out that it was related to my graphics card, but I couldn't find any special fix. Unplugging the computer and plugging it back in used to help, although it's hard on your hard drive.:isadizzy:

:costumes::costumes::costumes:

Well, I could always switch off first... :banghead:

hubbabubba
November 1st, 2008, 08:28
Bonjour ndicki:wavey:

This is the "sepia" overtone you're talking about?

I'm still under W98SE. This is caused by a crash of CFS1, throwing you back to the desk. I don't know what OS you are running, but I bet that, if you look into your running programs, you will see one instance (maybe more!) of CFS1.

Simply "kill" it (or kill them).

Bonne chance!:173go1:

winslow33
November 1st, 2008, 09:10
Well, when I used to have this problem, simply shutting down didn't help. I had to sit at the desktop and turn off the surge bar.

ndicki
November 1st, 2008, 09:12
Yes, it was under W98SE. Now I'm on WXP Home, and it hasn't got any better. I'll have a look at the programs thingy - I'm sure that'll be it.

Johnny
November 1st, 2008, 15:17
~S~ All,

I just had a great Idea! When Hubbabubba releases his new jeep, we can do Desert Rats one Sunday. I better check the oil and fuel in Khloee.:running:

Johnny:ernae:

GearyMcS
November 2nd, 2008, 03:49
ndicki,

Instead of turning off your computer to get rid of the pink screen coming out of CFS1, just go to your desktop, right click, go to properties, appearance, change the 'Widows and buttons' (you can immediately change it back to the theme you are using), hit the apply button and it should restore your correct color. It's working for me.

Cheers,

Geary

ndicki
November 2nd, 2008, 21:36
Cheers, Geary - there wasn't a second copy running in the background, so that wasn't the trouble.

I'll try this!

hubbabubba
November 3rd, 2008, 06:10
Sorry ndicki:redf:

I had problems mixed-up. In your case, you were probably "dumped on the desktop" during a game. It happens sometimes for reason unknown (at least, unknown to me...).

When CFS1 closes "normally", the game visual settings are returned to the normal settings by a closing routine, but are "skipped" during those episodes.

GearyMcS solution will work, but there is a simpler one; restart the game and exit; the exit routine should restore your normal visual settings.

humbles
November 3rd, 2008, 12:02
Hello Ndicki,May I ask is this affecting your game or another words is this glitch causing a problem . As far as I can remember it has always been there .

EMatheson
November 3rd, 2008, 19:33
rebooting always worked for me! (not even a hard boot, either - you don't have to screw-over your HD to fix the problem...)
oh, and incidentally, when CFS1 crashes, I still get those symptoms in WinVista - it isn't just a Win98SE glitch...

Ivan
November 4th, 2008, 03:02
My experience has been pretty close to Hubbabubba's. Recently I have been getting lots of "Illegal Instruction" type errors in various apps including CFS which dump me back the the desktop.

- Ivan.

ndicki
November 5th, 2008, 10:55
Hello Ndicki,May I ask is this affecting your game or another words is this glitch causing a problem . As far as I can remember it has always been there .

It's not actually causing a problem as such; I carried on all my other stuff the last time, but it just makes things a bit more difficult to see! :isadizzy:

Johnny
November 5th, 2008, 19:27
~S~ ndicki,

I am using WXP and have not experienced that problem. At one point I set CFS to run in W98 mode and it was worse then I remembered, so I went back to WXP mode.

If you right click in your CFS short cut and go to properties, at the bottom and click there. When the screen opens up click on the compatibility tab. none of the boxes should be checked. At least that is the way mine is set up, or you can try the different settings and see if it changes anything.

Johnny:ernae:

humbles
November 6th, 2008, 08:27
Ok ,Ndicki.This is what I seem to remember about the problem . many years ago when running on an old windows system , (95, 98,ME, 2000) the problem never exsisted , how ever I believe it started around the time when the active x problem accured on the old zone, a lot of players could not get into the games because the active x was not enabled on there computer.You might remember a lot of players were asking the Plus members for there support about that time with this problem , do you remember the yellow strip on the task bar . clicking this enabled active X , thus allowing you into the games area .To be quite honest, it should not stop you enjoying the game But as I have asked If it really is a problem then we must find an answer for you . If you need a more detailed answer I suggest looking at the microsoft sites or even asking a plus in the microsoft zone .

minuteman10
November 10th, 2008, 18:06
~S~ Gentlemen...if I recall correctly, wasn't this a result of a TG2 bug...where the graphic colors would change like this post game? A reboot usually solved it for me...of course...this is when I could still reboot.....:banghead:

humbles
November 11th, 2008, 09:47
~S~ nice to see you online .Mm. It looks like you are still having problems, for a minute you had me wondering if you fell for the avg BUG update