PDA

View Full Version : Which OS rules on your PC?

SirBenn21
January 2nd, 2010, 04:40
I suppose this one is done to death, but I've just got Windows 7 Ultimate.
Since Friday I have been installing my PC and FSX, with the intention of making a backup when everything is "perfect".
But I have screwed up already and am going to start from scratch! :mad: :censored: :banghead:
So seeing that I have both 32 & 64 bit at my disposal. I was thinking I'd run a poll to make up my mind if I should give 64bit a go.
Last time (about a year ago) I struggled getting drivers and such and pritty much gave up with it.

Anyway let the polling begin!

Thanks

Ben

d0mokun
January 2nd, 2010, 04:51
Win7! Up until last week I used Vista x64, and didn't have a problem with it at all to be honest.

Win7 x64 seems awesome so far. I've also been putting Win7 x86 on the rest of the household and work PC's- it just seems to work without hassle, one laptop being the exception!

If you have an x64 capable system, then run x64 native Windows.

Dan.

Mathias
January 2nd, 2010, 04:52
I voted Vista 64 simply because I don't yet have 7 and it beats my XP 32 rig handsdown.

IanP
January 2nd, 2010, 04:54
As Dan says, 64 has some major advantages - particularly the ability to use and access more than 4Gb of RAM, which can make some things a heck of a lot easier and smoother if you occupy more slots or put in bigger sticks.

I have found a few applications that have refused to work on the 64-bit OSs (both Vista and 7), but very few and they tend to be system tools rather than "day to day" applications. I've not found a game that doesn't work yet, unless it never worked on anything after XP anyway.

Both The Boss and I are running Windows 7 64.

empeck
January 2nd, 2010, 05:00
Vista 64bit. I like it.

kilo delta
January 2nd, 2010, 05:23
Vista 64 Ultimate on all my desktops....XP Pro Sp3 on all my notebooks. I'm planning on building a cheap Win 7 64 ultimate rig at the moment and will be running the 32 bit version on a spare M9750 laptop too.

harleyman
January 2nd, 2010, 05:29
Well

Win XP Pro SP3.......Love it

Win Vists 64 ...... Works great

Win 7 64 ...Love it too...

I would advise to install in a 64 bit enviroment , so that all your ram will be used...Big advantages for FSX and heavy addons...

Kiwikat
January 2nd, 2010, 06:22
W7 64 Pro and Xubuntu 9.10. :engel016:

n4gix
January 2nd, 2010, 06:59
Something interesting I've noticed on my new i7 machine running Win7 Home Premium with 8GB DDR3...

No matter how many applications I've had running simultaneously, not one byte has ever been written to virtual memory...

Francois
January 2nd, 2010, 07:11
Can't vote, I have three main machines, XP 32, Vista 64 and Windows7 64. I'd go with 64 bit in any case, 32 is SO old...... *gg*(just do NOT install XP 64 on anything or you'll be sorry).

IanP
January 2nd, 2010, 07:49
Ah. OK. XP64 is the exception to what I said above. Next to nothing ran on that!!!

I never tried it, but my colleague who installed it from his MSDN subscription very quickly dropped back to XP32, then NT4 (which was our business OS at the time) - the latter because he was told to by the boss. ;)

net1ninja
January 2nd, 2010, 10:34
Wow!

Interesting results:
1) The uptake on Win7 is astonishing given the official release of 3mos ago.
2) The deployment of XP nearly equal to Vista.

spotlope
January 2nd, 2010, 10:47
I think the W7 uptake is at least partly because they released a public beta and RC many months ago. I was highly dubious about upgrading my XP Pro until I tried their beta - it took all of about a week to convince me. So by the time W7 was released, I was ready to buy. Probably there are a lot of us like that.

PRB
January 2nd, 2010, 11:53
I thought about making a "smart remark" such as "on my computer, the OS doesn't rule, I do!" but then I remembered I'm running Vista64 on the FS machine, and well, if you know Vista, then you know Microsoft "owns" your C:\ drive, administrator rights notwithstanding! Besides that annoying "feature" I like Vista just fine. I have a small drive for the C:\ drive and I've done a "tactical withdrawl" of all forces from the C:\ drive. Microsoft can have it! We've dug fox holes and built up defensive lines around the E:\ drive, a 1 terra byte drive onto which I install all software and save all data. So far the E:\ is holding!

Lionheart
January 2nd, 2010, 11:57
<--- dual boot / dual OS, both are my faves

WinXP
Mac OSX Snow Leapard (64bit new OSX platform, fast... )

Bill

ryanbatc
January 2nd, 2010, 12:16
WOW I'm surprised at all the Windows 7 users :icon_lol:

After all, Windows 7 was my idea....

MCDesigns
January 2nd, 2010, 13:02
Vista 64bit. I like it.

Same here! Although I have a win7 upgrade, I have no issues whatsoever with Vista, so I am no hurry to reformat after upgrading,.

TeaSea
January 2nd, 2010, 15:36
Hey! You guys stole MY idea!!!:jump:

I went Win7 and haven't looked back.......32 and 64 bit (my machine and the college age kids -- guess who has the 32 bit).

Incidentally, I did the upgrade vice the complete install, and had absolutely no problems with it, and this was on 3 separate machines. I did however, do a complete back up prior.

SirBenn21
January 2nd, 2010, 17:59
Hey I'm writing this from my newly installed Windows 7 64bit! :jump:

Luckily my wife had access to the internet as I had no 64bit drivers for my wireless card. :icon_eek:

Now for the next grueling hours of installing FSX!!! :a1451: :kilroy:

Anyway thanks for your views and help with me making up my mind to install a 64bit OS.
Hopfully I won't look back.

Ben

Hanimichal
January 3rd, 2010, 03:17
I have 3 PC's:

1- AM2 64 x2 3800 / Radeon x1650 256mb / 2gb RAM
2- AM2 64 x2 6000 /NVIDIA 8800GT 512 mb / 2gb RAM
3- AM2 PHENOM2 x4 3.0gh /NVIDIA 9800GTX 512mb/ 5gb RAM

and all 3 with win7-64bit and I never go back to stupid win XP or other 32bit

Maxstuka
January 3rd, 2010, 08:02
CFS2 can be run in Win 7 64bits?

limjack
January 3rd, 2010, 14:08
Hey I'm writing this from my newly installed Windows 7 64bit! :jump:

Luckily my wife had access to the internet as I had no 64bit drivers for my wireless card. :icon_eek:

Now for the next grueling hours of installing FSX!!! :a1451: :kilroy:

Anyway thanks for your views and help with me making up my mind to install a 64bit OS.
Hopfully I won't look back.

Ben

Yap, thanks to your thread I am heading down the same path. Looks like a lot of happy Window 7 users.

Jim

CG_1976
March 13th, 2010, 00:18
Im using W7 64 Ultimate and have vast improvments over XP and better system management over Vista and best all W7 don't req butchering like Vista to get resources down.

Z-DarthVader
March 13th, 2010, 04:30
I'm still using Win XP Pro in a lobotomized version, but I do plan on upgrading to Win 7 pro 64 bit.

We've been testing Win 7 at work, and I'm very impressed with the way it uses the resources of a given machine.

Also it boots lightning fast and recognizes a lot of hardware, i.e. a lot of drivers are native to it.

After the Windows Vista debacle, M$ seem to have found the straight and narrrow again.

dexthom
March 13th, 2010, 05:08
Windows Ultimate 64 .. Good Stuff

kilo delta
March 13th, 2010, 05:23
Windows Ultimate 64 .. Good Stuff

+1

I may put W7 64bit on my desktops come re-installation time though.

Chacha
March 13th, 2010, 05:49
Windows XP and OSX Snow Leopard... :ernae:

I have a PC and a laptop with Windows 7 64- bit and enjoying every second of it....

Bjoern
March 13th, 2010, 09:32
Win 7 x64 Pro. Best OS I've ever used.

idancesafetydance
March 13th, 2010, 12:16
Windows 7 Home premium 64-bit and Kubuntu 9.10.

CodyValkyrie
March 14th, 2010, 05:31
Vista 64 now, soon to be Windows 7 64.

idahosurge
March 14th, 2010, 06:10
Win7 64b rules the poll!!

I use Win7 Ult 64b!

limjack
March 14th, 2010, 08:55
FSX was best run on Vista 32 bit for me but did kick out the "out of memory error" once in a while. Everything else was great. Then I Upgraded to Windows 7 64. I got the same FPS as Vista but just have not found that sweet spot like I did with Vista. Just seems like eveything is not as sharp anymore "could be my eyes". The good news is no more "out of memory errors and load time is way quicker.

Jim

Paul K
March 14th, 2010, 13:24
What a strange thread.

Who would be even remotely interested in what someone else's OS is ? What are they going to do with , or even glean from, the results of the poll ?

I could understand a survey of OS if it revealed trends towards problems with MSFS, but as it is, this seems to be a poll for the sake of one. Maybe I'm missing something...I often do at my age.

Next Poll: Do you miss something because of your age ? Yes, No, Sometimes, Sorry not sure what do you mean, etc

PRB
March 14th, 2010, 13:29
Paul K, the originator of the poll may simply be curious, for the sake of being curious. It happens... I am surprised that Windows 7 has such a huge lead, but I will not loose sleep over it. Well, maybe just a little...

Paul K
March 14th, 2010, 13:35
PRB, you could be right. I can think of more inspiring things to be curious about, though. Ah well, its no matter. :)

txnetcop
March 14th, 2010, 14:17
Paul K, the originator of the poll may simply be curious, for the sake of being curious. It happens... I am surprised that Windows 7 has such a huge lead, but I will not loose sleep over it. Well, maybe just a little...

It could also be because he is in a quandary as to which operating system to install on a new build. I get those kinds of questions and requests for proof that games work well with various Operating Systems before they buy a build.
Ted
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

Paul K
March 14th, 2010, 21:55
It could also be because he is in a quandary as to which operating system to install on a new build. I get those kinds of questions and requests for proof that games work well with various Operating Systems before they buy a build.
Ted
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

Well, yes, but if that was the reason, wouldn't someone be more specific , stating the specs and/or budget of the new system and then asking for recommendations ? A simple poll of who has what doesn't offer any guidance on what is going to be suitable for a particular system.

It doesn't matter, though. Its Monday morning...that matters. Roll on retirement.

Willy
March 17th, 2010, 23:00
98SE on my laptop

PRB
March 18th, 2010, 04:53
98SE on my laptop

Ha, I got that beat. I have a computer on the shelf that still runs DOS 6.2 and WIN3.1. It's a science project... :icon_lol:

ryanbatc
March 18th, 2010, 09:52
Is there a list somewhere so I can see if my older games run on Win7 x64?

I play Age of empires II, Warcraft III, Half Life 2, which are getting older now. They all work fine on my install of Vista x64

Bjoern
March 18th, 2010, 16:03

I play Age of empires II, Warcraft III, Half Life 2, which are getting older now. They all work fine on my install of Vista x64

If they work in Lamesta, they'll work in 7.

pilottj
March 19th, 2010, 18:43
I have Win 7 64x Pro, have had it since Sept...was able to get it prerelease via MSDNAA at the college, Anyway, its been running solid since. I had XP pro before that, and 7 64 pro is an appropriate followup here. If you get Win 7, try to get Pro or above because it supports the Windows 'XP' mode feature which allows you to attach devices and run programs that are only good with XP. That feature is what sold me on it for good being that I have a nice all in one printer that only works in XP. FSX has run quite well for me, better than when I had XP. I tried XP 64bit but it was too hard finding driver support for it and then 7 came along :D with its lovely XP mode.

vora
March 21st, 2010, 08:41

Principally most if not all games that run in Vista64 do run in Win 7.
I had a huge problem installing Age of Empires II, but the problem was not the program itself but the old copy protection of the original discs. I had to frickle a way around it (i.e. find a trick to copy the files to the hd). After the files were on the hd I could install and run it without any problems.

Little Chacha
March 21st, 2010, 08:48
And my Mom put Windows7 and mess up the program. It was good my Uncle Bill told my Mom how to fix it. Now I can fly. I love my Mom's Big computer, it is white and has a black apple on the bottom of the screen. Sometimes, I use it when she is not working. But she said I can use the Dell or the Sony laptop. From Hannah. Bye. :wavey:

6297J
March 22nd, 2010, 11:07
Vista 64 - always loved it - never had any problems.

Piglet
March 22nd, 2010, 20:23
UGH... Just installed Win 7 Home Premium in 32 bit. (gift from fellow SOH'er)
I see everyone running 64bit. Can I upgrade easily?

lifejogger
March 23rd, 2010, 04:11
UGH... Just installed Win 7 Home Premium in 32 bit. (gift from fellow SOH'er)
I see everyone running 64bit. Can I upgrade easily?

What computer requirements/specs do you have to have in order run Windows 7 62bit?

Piglet
March 23rd, 2010, 15:18
Got a Intel Quad Core 9550, or what ever those numbers are
4GB RAM
G-Force 8600GT Vid.

kilo delta
March 23rd, 2010, 15:23
Did you get the 64bit installation discs too,Tim? If so you need to reformat your HDD and do a complete re-installation with the new OS. As you are running 4GB of memory the 64bit OS will be able to fully utilise this whereas the 32bit version would only be able to see a max of ~3Ghz of memory.

Piglet
March 26th, 2010, 19:26
Yeah, I got 'em. Just got my stuff back up and running. Maybe down the line I will update to 64bit

CybrSlydr
March 26th, 2010, 22:07
Windows 7 Ultimate x64!

Windows 7 is what Vista should have been. It's worked flawlessly for me from the get go.

Lionheart
March 30th, 2010, 22:38
Tim, how do you like Win7 so far?

Bill

Txmmy83
April 4th, 2010, 02:51
at the moment XP but I also own WIN7 64bit

BR
Tom

wandagrace37
April 21st, 2010, 19:48
windows xp and imac

ericts
May 15th, 2010, 21:17
Kubuntu 10.04 64 bit.

My XP was destroyed by a virus a month ago and my computer is old enough that I didn't want to mess with a re-install.

skyhawka4m
May 21st, 2010, 13:42
running windows 7 64bit and love it.

Z-DarthVader
May 23rd, 2010, 23:24
I'm changing over to Win7 64 Bit Enterprise today.

In the process of backing up right now. Will also make an image of my current installation, just in case!!

Cheers,

DV

kilo delta
May 31st, 2010, 06:58
Had a HDD in my main laptop go t!ts up on me last week without warning. Threw in a spare 500gb drive and decided to (eventually!) install Win 7 Ultimate...32bit in this case.
Delighted with it, immediately disabled UAC of course, and plan to install Win 7 on the rest of my computer fleet in the coming months.

Bjoern
June 2nd, 2010, 09:08
Had a HDD in my main laptop go t!ts up on me last week without warning. Threw in a spare 500gb drive and decided to (eventually!) install Win 7 Ultimate...32bit in this case.
Delighted with it, immediately disabled UAC of course, and plan to install Win 7 on the rest of my computer fleet in the coming months.

See? :d

Win 7 is a delight, even on my not-that-young-anymore Thinkpad!

kilo delta
June 2nd, 2010, 12:13
See? :d

Win 7 is a delight, even on my not-that-young-anymore Thinkpad!

I must admit that I was surprised at the "Windows Experience" score of 5.5 on this 3 year old notebook. :)

Don't get me wrong,though, as I was always happy out with XP Pro SP3 (notebooks) and Vista Ultimate 64bit (on my desktops). It's just that it kinda makes sense to have a common OS running on all my networked systems.:ernae:

Bjoern
June 2nd, 2010, 12:59
Don't get me wrong,though, as I was always happy out with XP Pro SP3 (notebooks) and Vista Ultimate 64bit (on my desktops). It's just that it kinda makes sense to have a common OS running on all my networked systems.:ernae:

The only difference for my Windows 7 installations on my desktop and notebook respectively is the version. The fast desktop has x64, the slow laptop has x86. Other than that, everything is mostly the same. Installed software, music library content, etc...

Willy
June 2nd, 2010, 19:01
Ha, I got that beat. I have a computer on the shelf that still runs DOS 6.2 and WIN3.1. It's a science project... :icon_lol:

Don't make me get my Commodore 64 out of the attic. :d