PDA

View Full Version : Apple and nVidia integrate GC and CPU

Lionheart
November 1st, 2008, 06:54
Hey guys,

I just watched the latest Apple news.

Did you know that Apple and nVidia have developed a new integrated CPU chip with the Graphics Card chip.

The chip is about 75% GC and 25% CPU, and amazingly runs graphics an average of 5X faster.

The GC section is basically a G-Force 9400.

The design was originally by nVidia, with nVidia asking Apple if they were interested in helping create such a thing. Apple would help make it only if they could have a laptop version as well, (something that the Mac books could use). So they did, and they did! Its now available today. Whats wild is they have created the ability to do 2 versions of GC's in the same computer, so you would have the built in GC/CPU 'and' the GC, so you are not locked down to the integrated GC/CPU and alot of the higher end Mac's will have 2 GC's in their higher end units.

The link to the news update is here;

http://www.apple.com/quicktime/qtv/specialevent1008/

Its in QuickTime and lasts quite a while. The part on the chip is near the end, so you can fast forward it to that part.

To quote Captain Jack of the 'Surprise'; 'My, what a wonderful and amazing age we truly live in!' :d

Bill

WuhWuzDat
November 2nd, 2008, 08:44
Bill,
It's not an integrated CPU/GPU, its an integrated chipset/GPU, that's much improved over previous integrated solutions.

Jeff

HundertzehnGustav
November 2nd, 2008, 09:17
To quote Captain Jack of the 'Surprise'; 'My, what a wonderful and amazing age we truly live in!' :d

Bill

AH!
I be damned! You are abusing that great Movie in an APPLE related thread!

You got some courage, sailor!:costumes:

Panther_99FS
November 2nd, 2008, 11:15
And guess what...
If you want to upgrade, ya' gotta buy 'em both again! :mixedsmi:

Lionheart
November 2nd, 2008, 13:43
From what I understood, you can run a seperate GC Chip, so that is switchable, and I guess the one in the multiple CPU GPU will run in the background. (Thats what I understood).

I love that movie.... Have to get the soundtrack for it.

"Scratch scrach, screech screech.... ' (the cook rolls his eyes up in his head as he finishes the Officers dinner), 'why cant they play something we can dance too'.

:d

Bill