PDA

View Full Version : Halifax?

UKMIL
January 2nd, 2010, 02:17
did not want to hijack deano;s thread, but since the Halifax is mentioned here, I thought a sneak of what we have been upto is due. If you want a freeware version, with no complex systems, then here it is

FSX HALIFAX first WIP shot

http://www.ukmil.org.uk/e107_files/public/1262430260_3_FT0_image5.jpg

stiz
January 2nd, 2010, 02:23
I thought a sneak of what we have been upto is due

just so you know, that 3d model of a halifax which you've just downloaded form the web has some major faults! :engel016:

UKMIL
January 2nd, 2010, 02:27
thats fine. it is freeware, so you take it as it is

guzler
January 2nd, 2010, 03:56
It looks damn good to me.

Stiz, if you want to be critical mate, I'm sure you can think before typing. Maybe you could assist UKMIL off air in giving help if you can see areas for improvement rather than making a comment which I can see to be critical with no constructive element.

That type of comment wil just lead another thread down a degrading route as too many others have done on here in 2009. If I have read it wrongly, then I appologise upfront Stiz.

Perhaps a great new years resolution wil be for every member to think before they type and ask the question "If I make a critisism how can I put it accross constructively as to maintain a friendly and constructive eticate on SOH ?" Ifthat was to happen, I would certainly appreciate it.

Neil

Deano
January 2nd, 2010, 04:31
Looking great, I'll be following this one for sure.

huub vink
January 2nd, 2010, 04:41
just so you know, that 3d model of a halifax which you've just downloaded form the web has some major faults! :engel016:

It has also a very strong point..... it will be free.....

Huub

TheOptimist
January 2nd, 2010, 04:45
thats fine. it is freeware, so you take it as it is

What a crap attitude.

IanP
January 2nd, 2010, 04:50
Actually, that's a perfectly acceptable attitude.

Good grief, some people on this thread got out of bed on the wrong side this year, so let's get this statement over and done with early on.

If you don't want it and don't like it, no-one is forcing you to use it. End of story.

Now. Can we stop with the snapping and griping and see what UKMIL can do with the model, wherever it came from?

TheOptimist
January 2nd, 2010, 04:57
Actually, that's a perfectly acceptable attitude.

Good grief, some people on this thread got out of bed on the wrong side this year, so let's get this statement over and done with early on.

If you don't want it and don't like it, no-one is forcing you to use it. End of story.

Now. Can we stop with the snapping and griping and see what UKMIL can do with the model, wherever it came from?

I guess I'm being spoilt by people like Piglet who give a flying toss about what they release.

If I ever take the attitude in my life that something I produce for people is knowingly sub-standard, whether it be free or something they're paying for, I hope someone shoots me down hard and quick.

It's one thing to release a product which may naturally have it's flaws (as will all of my work) but when someone makes a comment (regardless of whether it's acid-tongued) to come out and say 'I don't really care' is a crap attitude.

I'd love this model to be great, and have no problem with UKMIL.

SpaceWeevil
January 2nd, 2010, 04:58
The Halifax is clearly cursed - two Halibag threads in one day and poison in both, what are the odds?

Mathias
January 2nd, 2010, 04:59
The Halifax is clearly cursed - two Halibag threads in one day and poison in both, what are the odds?

As has been hinted at: New year's hangover. :bump:

Tweek
January 2nd, 2010, 05:10
I guess I'm being spoilt by people like Piglet who give a flying toss about what they release.

Interesting, cos if I chose to, I could easily point out a few faults and flaws in Piglet's models, but as he makes them in his spare time, for free, I've hardly got any room to complain. I appreciate his efforts and treat them as freeware - i.e. I'll give constructive criticism if I feel they want to hear it, and if not, put up and shut up, as it's effectively been given as a gift to the community.

If UKMIL want to release something with errors, then that's their perogative. If you don't like it, then either don't download it, or delete it if you do.

Ferry_vO
January 2nd, 2010, 05:13
If UKMIL want to release something with errors, then that's their perogative. If you don't like it, then either don't download it, or delete it if you do.

Exactly right!

End of discussion as far as I'm concerned.

The only reason I haven't locked this one yet is because I would like to see what UKmil can do with a freeware Halifax..

michael davies
January 2nd, 2010, 05:31

Very astue observation, the Alphasim one from years ago got pretty much the same sort of attention when released, good and bad, as I said in the other thread, theres nothing like a British WWII bomber to bring people out into the limelight, good and bad.

sandar
January 2nd, 2010, 05:37
I might be wrong, but I thought Stitz comment was a tongue in cheek reply about the non textured, non animated, WIP picture of the Halibag.

guzler
January 2nd, 2010, 05:53
If true, my apology stands sincerely.

Here's to 2010 having an FSX Halibag to grace the skies in :ernae:

falcon409
January 2nd, 2010, 06:04
Boy, it seems to take very little for folks to get sideways on a simple first post. This is a WIP from UKMIL and nothing sinister in that as far as I can tell, lol.

Drop the intensity level a bit and get back on track. No reason at all for this to go south so quickly.:salute:

IanP
January 2nd, 2010, 06:04
I read stiz's post exactly the same way that you did, guzler. If stiz would like to come back and say that it was, I'll happily accept that I read it in a way that wasn't intended.

As for The Optimist's posts, then unless he is a freeware developer (which I think I can take it as read he isn't), then he might like to give it a go in the very near future. There are plenty of aircraft, vehicle or scenery models out there which haven't been done yet that he can choose from to start with. Scenery is not particularly hard at a basic level, all the design tools are free, although the research materials certainly aren't, and I could most certainly do with the help! :)

I'll reserve judgement on what UKMIL can do with the Halifax until it's in the FSX skies and even then I won't have grounds to complain loudly, as getting anything in the virtual skies is a lot better than I have achieved in almost twenty years of playing with this series of sims!

TheOptimist
January 2nd, 2010, 06:14
I am a freeware developer, just not for any flight sim. I'm afraid you won't be getting anything out of me!

Paul K
January 2nd, 2010, 06:16

Bomber Harris didn't like the Halifax either.

IanP
January 2nd, 2010, 06:18
Maybe you should stick to abusing freeware developers in your own little world then, perhaps?

Bye bye! :wavey:

huub vink
January 2nd, 2010, 06:19
Lets get (or stay) civil(ised) ;) The Alphasim Hampden. Still a very nice model, but with a more than excellent soundset!

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y210/Huub_Vink/hampden_1.jpg

myles
January 2nd, 2010, 07:53
Huub,

Erm.... your Hampden appears to have several major errors (now where have I heard that before?). :173go1:

Wrong shape, too many engines...

In fact, it looks more like a Halifax :icon_lol:

Myles

Ferry_vO
January 2nd, 2010, 08:00
but with a more than excellent soundset!

Not unless you've downloaded a soundset, as it originally didn't come with one. ;)

Did you see the updated pack over at CBFS? Only civil versions but with an updated aircraft.cfg, panel and more paints.

PutPut
January 2nd, 2010, 08:04
Hey, UKMIL, don't let this stuff stop you! I would love to see a freeware Halifax!:ernae: :ernae:

Paul

huub vink
January 2nd, 2010, 08:42
Erm.... your Hampden appears to have several major errors (now where have I heard that before?).

Oops, I really should stick with the bad-boys.......

Handling 4 engines is normally too much for me, so this error is most likely Freudian ;)

Not unless you've downloaded a soundset, as it originally didn't come with one. ;).

Oops again, but I really don't know where I found this sound package.....

And as PutPut said, UKMIL, don't let this stuff stop you!

Huub

stiz
January 2nd, 2010, 10:42
just to clear things up, the original post has been changed, when i saw it it said that they (UKmill) had been building the model for some time and that it just needed textureing, this is false, that halifax model has been aviable to download from the web like a freeware FS plane for years, i've even looked at it myself and still have it sat around on my backup drive.

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f117/Stiz987/halifax_mod.jpg

So with that in mind, i just pointed out that the model they downloaded freely from the web had major faults with it.

Lewis-A2A
January 2nd, 2010, 11:15
so whos first to apologise to Stiz? :engel016:

guzler
January 2nd, 2010, 11:15
Then I owe you an apology. What are the faults ? It looks good to me.

Off to find those civvy repaints on CBFS

Lewis-A2A
January 2nd, 2010, 11:20
Much of the shape is wrong in nearly all areas for that model, but it is freeware free download, so am sure UKMIL could touch up a couple areas.] if they so desire.

Ferry_vO
January 2nd, 2010, 11:20
Off to find those civvy repaints on CBFS

It's in the members-only area of their site..

stiz
January 2nd, 2010, 11:22
No worrys guzler

What are the faults ?

biggest is that the engines arnt tilted upwards :engel016:

guzler
January 2nd, 2010, 11:35
From the angle, the area around the cockit looks a bit too rounded, can't really tell about the engines from the picture. Can these things be altered ?

guzler
January 2nd, 2010, 11:40
It's in the members-only area of their site..

How do you become a member ? Can't ind anything on their website, or do you simply register ?

Henry
January 2nd, 2010, 13:23
No worrys guzler

biggest is that the engines arnt tilted upwards :engel016:
thats easy just combine it with a chopper:icon_lol:
seriously whatever the original model is like
if you know what you are doing
it could be fixed
or maybe start from scratch
would it not be easier to fix it?
H

Ferry_vO
January 2nd, 2010, 14:33
How do you become a member ? Can't ind anything on their website, or do you simply register ?

Yep, you need to register; once you've logged in you see a new forum called 'New releases & support - Members only', look for the CBFSVA Halifax/Halton package in there.

:)

stiz
January 2nd, 2010, 14:47
if you know what you are doing
it could be fixed
or maybe start from scratch
would it not be easier to fix it?
H

in my opion it would be easier to just start from scratch, allthough everybody works in different ways :engel016:

guzler
January 3rd, 2010, 01:45
I wouldn't know where to start, the most I have done is tinker with scenery on ADE, so I look forward to seeing this develop with full respect of the work that must go into it.

sandar
January 3rd, 2010, 06:16
At the risk of upsetting the good folk at UKMIL, I find their site difficult to navigate.

UKMIL
July 7th, 2010, 04:05

SADT
July 7th, 2010, 13:09
Me Want!! Me Want!!

May I ask a question: Will this have a VC?
And possibly another: Will you simulate switchable dual-stage turbo superchargers?

Keep at it though! This is one plane we all sorely need for FSX

Paul K
July 7th, 2010, 13:30
Looks okay so far, though I can't see how well the asymmetric fuselage cross-section forward of the cockpit has been executed. That will be a measure of the model, to my mind.

Maybe a little late in the day, but would it not be an idea to have the rounded wing extensions ? You would then have the ultimate B.Mk.III and the Halifax that finally matched the Lancaster.

Sphinx_58
July 7th, 2010, 23:59
Thanks for the images UKMIL. Looking forward to this classic!

S_58

UKMIL
July 8th, 2010, 02:23
Looks okay so far, though I can't see how well the asymmetric fuselage cross-section forward of the cockpit has been executed. That will be a measure of the model, to my mind.

Maybe a little late in the day, but would it not be an idea to have the rounded wing extensions ? You would then have the ultimate B.Mk.III and the Halifax that finally matched the Lancaster.

I have now added the wing extensions, so it is indeed a MkIII

Paul K
July 8th, 2010, 13:38
I have now added the wing extensions, so it is indeed a MkIII

Good to hear, and thank you. It will be a very welcome addition to my FSX hangar, and a long over-due one.

In all her majestic glory...

http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m115/Geomitrak/cap026JPG.jpg