PDA

View Full Version : Thorp Update

N2056
January 1st, 2010, 21:07
I never was happy with how I did the original cowl. I had a fuselage that had a pair of separately modeled cheeks jammed into each side. It looked ok, and at the time it was the best I knew how to do. Since then I have learned more about how to work with a mesh, and so (as I endlessly do) I went back and made the cowl like it should have been done in the first place! :icon_lol:

The cheeks & fuselage are now a single part, and this shot shows what it looks like in Gmax as I work on the bumpmapping texture. The improvement is seen along the seam of the cheek & fuselage...it is now parallel with my textured panel line.

On a side note, for those of you that have not already figured it out, I learned a lot about myself in the last year while exploring the incredibly fun world of payware developing. What I learned is that for me, it is totally not worth my time when I have a good day job that has plenty of overtime for those interested. I have decided that I should make my money there and do this stuff because it is supposed to be fun. Piglet has become my hero :icon29:

tigisfat
January 1st, 2010, 21:33
Self-actualization is a wonderful thing. The polar opposite would be prostituting yourself out in one way our another. That is to say; you know where you stand and without that conviction you'd be selling out.

You're bound to produce better work when it's for yourself and you REALLY know what you're doing. If your sole source of income was this thorp, you'd have stopped fixing what you wanted better and released it a long time ago. I hope you do make money on it, but I'm glad your life doesn't depend on it. You wouldn't be as happy with the final result, and neither would we.

On a separate note, It's obvious when a payware developer occasionally releases an unfinished product, and it does damage to their reputation that takes years to fix. Consumers aren't as willing to take the leap as fast to buy another product after.

Piglet
January 1st, 2010, 21:59
We're all everyone's and each other's heroes!:ernae::ernae::icon29:
We all learn from each other.

Kiwikat
January 1st, 2010, 22:03
Looking good Robert!

Any chance you could pop on messenger? :monkies:

Lionheart
January 1st, 2010, 22:48
Nice looking Cowling Robert.

Making single piece sculpted multiple-rounded parts seamlessly is pretty darn difficult.

I hear you on the 'time' thing and making money. If you have a great day job, you are doing good.

:ernae:

Bill

Jim Goldman
January 4th, 2010, 02:14
After a good time to rest..... and PC upgrade.. I am back.. Robert the rework looks great.... if you need a beta tester let me know... Keep up the good work.

Best

Jim

harleyman
January 4th, 2010, 03:12
:applause: I like the new look......

Good paying jobs are always nice...I don't know how developers make a living anyways these days.....