PDA

View Full Version : How will this spec run FSX ?

guzler
January 1st, 2010, 09:24
Hi guys,

I've just ordered a new pc to run FSX and be a general home pc. Spec is:

Intel® Core™ i7 920 Quad Core Processor (2.66GHz,8MB Cache) - LGA1336
Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium Edition - 64bit English
New Stylish Midi-Tower ATX Chassis with 700W PSU - Piano Black
ASUS P6T SE Mainboard - Intel Core™ i7 & i7 Extreme Edition - ATX
6GB 1333MHz Triple Channel DDR3 SDRAM - ( 3x2GB )
2x 500GB Serial ATA Hard Drive with 16MB Buffer (1TB Total)
Raid 0 Configuration (Stripe)
22x Dual Layer DVD Writer Super Format +R/-R/RW/RAM
1GB ATI Radeon 5850 Graphics Accelerator GDDR5- ***DirectX 11***
24" Iiyama **Special Offer** (1920x1080) Full HD Monitor - Prolite E2407HDSD

I am coming from a 2.4Ghz AMD 3400+ single core with 2Mb Ram and a 8800gt card. Apart from blurry ground textures over 100mph and slow frame rates over dense areas, it has performed admirally with lovely image quality and after reading all the problems people have had on this forum with this, that and the other, I am a little nervous about moving forwards although excited at the prospect of smoother play, particularly at speed and at the critical stage of landing !!!

Will Direct X 11 run FSX ? Will I be able to run it in DX10 mode with this installed ? How are ATI cards to set up ? I have only ever used NVidia and been pleased with them.
I believe that processor speed is important and this is on the slow side at 2.66Ghz, but I have read that the I7 performs better than some faster AMD equivelents which I find a little confusing, which I am hoping someone may be able to explain in simple terms.

I will of course aim to tweek the cfg and such to get the most out of the setup as I have done with my single core.

Any advice appreciated.

Cheers

Neil

harleyman
January 1st, 2010, 10:40
It should do just fine...It would be better OCe some and with 1600 speed ram..but you will be very pleased..

FSX is DX10..And yes it will run it just fine..

see my set-up giudes here for that Vid card...
http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?t=16294

Enyoy...

stansdds
January 1st, 2010, 11:03
I am getting reasonable performance from my Core2Duo, but overclocking from my stock 3.0 GHz up to 3.6 GHz gave me better frame rates and improved smoothness. I would think your i7 rig would do well, but overclocking will certainly give you even better performance.

guzler
January 1st, 2010, 12:01
What do you call reasonable ? If I can keep my frame rates above 20 whilst being low on stutters, I will be happy.

I have never overclocked a pc before, looks like I will have to learn to get the most from it.

I am currently using 2Mb RAM at 533Mhz, so I'm hoping this should be a big improvement, but good to know I can squeeze more out of the rig when needed !

harleyman
January 1st, 2010, 13:00
I would not worry about OCing for now...

Use it for awhile..It will be far better than your old rig thats for sure....Like night and day it will be...

stansdds
January 1st, 2010, 13:38
What do you call reasonable ? If I can keep my frame rates above 20 whilst being low on stutters, I will be happy.

I have never overclocked a pc before, looks like I will have to learn to get the most from it.

I am currently using 2Mb RAM at 533Mhz, so I'm hoping this should be a big improvement, but good to know I can squeeze more out of the rig when needed !

If that's all you are looking for then overclocking is probably not going to be necessary. I could 20 with my Core2Duo at stock speed.

guzler
January 1st, 2010, 14:47
This is where my knowledge is a little vague though. Your stock speed is faster than mine, so unless FSX utilises all four cores efficiently, is a two core running at 3Ghz more suited to FSX than a four core running at 2.66Ghz ?

harleyman
January 1st, 2010, 15:05
Nope....FSX is coded to run off two cores..But with SP19I think) it has allowed it to run off all four cores..

Plus the new i7 quads are better than the older socket 775 quad cores and Duo Core at moving information along..

Just wait..you shall see and be amazed.....

You would only even considering OCing down the road if yoy had tons of sceneries, high res things like weather textures , and the latest payware planes with super high polys...

But even with all that said FSX is still a compromise..nothing will run FSX full sliders right... But you can get 35 locked most everywhere..you may see a small hit say comming into LAX, in weather, with lots of AI about..but it will still amaze you.

guzler
January 1st, 2010, 16:34
That kind of explains it, thanks :isadizzy: !!!!!

I'm looking forward to it. To be honest, I am satisfied with default weather, although I do like good scenery addons and plenty of AI.

Thanks for your help.

harleyman
January 2nd, 2010, 03:56
That kind of explains it, thanks :isadizzy: !!!!!

I'm looking forward to it. To be honest, I am satisfied with default weather, although I do like good scenery addons and plenty of AI.

Thanks for your help.

Ahhh But you are now capiable of running any weather textures you so choose.....:applause:

Then you will learn to say, the default weather textures are not so good...LOL

guzler
January 2nd, 2010, 04:21
LOL,

Software...pc..software...pc.....I have been on that path for years, so you are probably right !!!!!!