PDA

View Full Version : Looking back on ten years in sim flight

spotlope
December 31st, 2009, 18:53
Walking my pooches this evening, I got to thinking about the ways my life has changed since I first took up flightsimming in 2000. Life has a way of leaking past you in small doses, and you tend to miss the cumulative total of it all (or at least I do) unless you stop now and again and take stock. What better time to do that than at the turn of a new year - and a new decade, at that!

I don't publicize my blog much on this forum, but if you're at all interested in my little wrap up, head over and check it out - http://iblueyonder.wordpress.com/2009/12/31/fanboy-friday-a-decade-with-wings/ . Spoiler alert: it's revealed that you guys and gals are a kick-ass community, and this hobby wouldn't be half as fun without you.

That is all. Oh yeah, and HAPPY NEW YEAR! :applause::salute::ernae::icon_lol::pop4::sleep:

crashaz
December 31st, 2009, 19:04
Happy New Year Bill! May the new year bring health, wealth and prosperity to you and your family! :wavey:

Dain Arns
December 31st, 2009, 19:22
Happy New Year, Bill.
The community is great, but it's folks like you that stand out and really add to the flight sim experience in so many ways.
We're all blessed by your talents and enthusiasm for the hobby.
Thanks for keeping the FS 'faith' for the past 10 years!
Looking forward to the next decade. :applause: :icon_lol:

BOOM
December 31st, 2009, 19:35
Bill,You've given the flight sim community so many great immersive places to fly through out the years.Thank You!! and Happy Healthy New Year to you and your family!

And hears to flying Stark's Twin Oaks and Orbx Pacific North West in 2010!!!!!:ernae: Wooohooo!

Roger
December 31st, 2009, 20:00
Is there any other place to fly from in FsX USA than Plum Island???:ernae:

jdhaenens
December 31st, 2009, 20:16
Happy New Year Bill! Thanks for all your help!

Jim

robcap
December 31st, 2009, 21:35
A Happy New Year to everybody here!

R.

Lionheart
December 31st, 2009, 22:24
Happy New Years Bill and Community!

I remember when FS2000 came out. Man, it really got me good. That was when I got the bug also.

Bill

Kiwikat
December 31st, 2009, 23:04
Ten years ago I was using FS95 still... lol. :redf:

I remember my dad telling me that I couldn't install any addon planes that were more than 100 kb. Though when he wasn't around I'd install some that were 120 kb or so. Now my FSX install is like 70 gigabytes. Oh the memories... :icon_lol:

Tylerb59
January 1st, 2010, 01:22
I remember my dad telling me that I couldn't install any addon planes that were more than 100 kb. Though when he wasn't around I'd install some that were 120 kb or so.

Rebel!

JorisVandenBerghe
January 1st, 2010, 12:06
I started flightsimming in what must have been...back in '98 or '99 ? Flight Unlimited II...Crimson Skies...Combat Flight Simulator 3...FSX.

Still have photograph of me with some sort of 'flying goggles' on my head, flying helmet etc behind a joystick, a the age I really got hooked on it, I was 10 years old or so.

I thoroughly enjoyed flight simming and have always had a great interest in aviation but, just like Panther did, I stopped and spend my money on my photography stuff these days. Still have a back-up of the old 'FSX-computer' and all my add-ons, licence keys, etc.

Happy New Year Bill and may flight sims give you and everyone else years of fun...

Perhaps, within a couple of years, I'll get back to it again...but I don't think it's likely.

Chuck_Jodry-VJPL
January 1st, 2010, 12:28
That was a good read Bill , its funny how things have a way of becoming more than the sum of their parts and taking on a life of their own at some point.

Happy New Year !

Lionheart
January 1st, 2010, 13:39
I started flightsimming in what must have been...back in '98 or '99 ? Flight Unlimited II...Crimson Skies...Combat Flight Simulator 3...FSX.

Man, I had Flight Unlimited II. Great sim. Which ever one had the 4 basic planes and perhaps only 4 territories, that one was my fave. (Flight Unlimited 1?)

Even with the terrain mapped to tile (fly straight and you get to the airport again) it was still fun. It had photo real terrain too, which was awesome to check out.

I literally 'bonded' with my Sukoi stunt plane. Loved it....

Bill

crashaz
January 1st, 2010, 19:32
The Ought Decade... the decade of the Groundpounder Community Rising. :icon_lol: