PDA

View Full Version : controller advice

surlybonds
December 31st, 2009, 12:47
http://forums.flightsim.com/vbfs/images/icons/icon1.gif controllers
<HR style="COLOR: #d1d1e1; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #d1d1e1" SIZE=1><!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->Ok, so it's me again - i'm a lurker for 13 years and now you can't shut me up. . .

I"d like your thoughts on controllers for FSx - I fly light a/c 99.999999% and love the bush flying. But i do on occasion fly a f5 or a tomcat, just to keep my hand in. I've always used the following controllers (very old) -CH Combat Stick (one of the 'Jane's models), the CH Throttle (not pro) and the old CH pedals (not pro - so they don't slide, they hinge at the heel and they can both be pressed at the same time). Nothing is USB.

I'd like to try out the Saitek yoke and throttle bundle as i like the separate throttle - may even have to get the extra throttle quad so when i fly twins, it's more realistic. But i think i also need a joystick and side throttle like i have now. I have a pretty good setup now with flat shelves on drawer hardware - one pulls out from the right side for my joystick and the other pulls out from the left front for the throttle. the keyboard pulls out directly in front, to the right of the throttle. Now if i have both joystick/throttle and yoke/throttle is there a quick disconnect or is it likely to be a major headache each time i switch? Even setup with the yoke will be a challenge since i have my keyboard in front so i can't clamp the yoke to the c'top. I use my computer for everything so i may go days (weeks) without flying - still having to feed the fam. makes it a bit problematic. Perhaps the yoke mounts to a floor supported stand which gets lateral support by somehow tying it back to the countertop.

just another detail to work out. love to hear your thoughts.

I'd also like to get you thoughts on CH/Saitek. . . Saitek/CH. . . . Others?

stansdds
December 31st, 2009, 15:46
CH Fighterstick USB, Pro Pedals USB and Throttle Quadrant USB here, couldn't be happier. I thought the short throw distances and closeness of the Throttle Quadrant's controls would be a problem, but so far they have actually been very nice.