PDA

View Full Version : An old fart question

safn1949
December 31st, 2009, 11:44
Exactly when did they decide to remove the flavor from Velveeta and Kraft Mac +Cheese? Damn that stuff is nasty,I seem to remember when it tasted pretty good,of course I was a lot poorer then.:icon_eek:

Henry
December 31st, 2009, 11:52
Damn that stuff is nasty,I seem to remember when it tasted pretty good,of course I was a lot poorer then.:icon_eek:
that could have something to do with it
an ole fart answer:icon_lol:
H

Cloud9Gal
December 31st, 2009, 11:53
LOL! I will leave it to the M&C experts to answer your question safn1949. I have never been a mac & cheese / Velveeta fan.

http://freesmileyface.net/smiley/Food/fridge-38.gif (http://freesmileyface.net)

Lionheart
December 31st, 2009, 11:54
What you need is ALOT of pepper, garlic powder, some sea salt, and you are good to go.

If you can, get real cheese. 'Real' cheese makes all the difference. Try it some time.

I could never figure out how they could get cheese from orange powder in Mac and Cheese, but man, it was still my fave dish when I was growing up...

Another alternative is adding a handful of chedder (or cheese of choice) to your recipe and check the difference.

Bill

tigisfat
December 31st, 2009, 11:56
that could have something to do with it
an ole fart answer:icon_lol:
H

I think you're right, but I think it's more about not being a kid anymore than being of an advanced age. Those were favorites of mine when I was little, but i'm 27 and I can't take too much of them anymore.

safn1949
December 31st, 2009, 12:25
I drive truck and cook in the truck,I generally add stuff to the mac and cheese,but it ain't helping anymore.Even my girlfriend commented it had gotten worse and she is only 35.In the early 90's I hauled a reefer so I had my hands on a lot of Velveeta,it's not even the same color anymore.....yuck.

Oh,the despair....my lifelong friends have wasted away to almost nothing...:d

TARPSBird
December 31st, 2009, 12:30
Kraft Mac & Cheese is still standard fare at our house, although now we usually get the Three Cheese & Shells version. My big food disappointment from childhood is Hostess Twinkies. :frown: I invite any of you in the 50+ age group to try a package and see if they taste the same as they did when you got 'em in your lunch boxes. I think they were better "back in the days".

luckydog
December 31st, 2009, 13:14
Add a can of spicy beanless chili to it.......Good Stuff !!!!

mariereid
December 31st, 2009, 13:16
Hey, old farts, did ya remember to put ketchup on it?

PRB
December 31st, 2009, 13:25
Always disliked those soft Kraft singles. Yuck. Love those big blocks of cheddar cheese though. Melt it, grate it, slice it. No matter.

N2056
December 31st, 2009, 13:27
Slice up a hot dog or 2 and toss it in :d

Snuffy
December 31st, 2009, 13:28
Or slap a couple spoonsfull between a couple slices of bread with ketchup. Mmmm.

Now that's eatin!!

:ernae:

safn1949
December 31st, 2009, 13:38
:d
Kraft Mac & Cheese is still standard fare at our house, although now we usually get the Three Cheese & Shells version. My big food disappointment from childhood is Hostess Twinkies. :frown: I invite any of you in the 50+ age group to try a package and see if they taste the same as they did when you got 'em in your lunch boxes. I think they were better "back in the days".

Oh yea,Twinkies are nasty as all get out now.See the thing is ,in my stupidity I decided I was going to hike the entire Appalachian Trail this coming year and Mac + Cheese was one of the staples I am bringing.The problem is it tastes sooo bad now I am scrambling to find stuff to add to it.I found some powedered eggs...oh man,talk about concentrated azz.

Lots of dried Indian food and spices in the mix.:d

Cloud9Gal
December 31st, 2009, 13:46
*shakes her head*

You guys crack me up!

LOL!

http://www.tiptopglobe.com/skin/smile/s4683.gif (http://www.tiptopglobe.com/free-smiles-smileys-emoticons-blog-forum-email)

Lionheart
December 31st, 2009, 13:47
Well, I broke down and M&C for lunch. Used grated Cheddar and Mozzarella. Came out sticky, but good... :d

Oh, I also add a bit of Soy Sauce. Really adds a nice 'bite' to the mix..

Good call Robert on cutting up hot dogs and putting in there. Yummo...

Bill

GT182
December 31st, 2009, 15:35
Safn, if you get up into Canada stop someplace and get a wheel of Black Diamond Chedar. Make mac and cheese with that and you'll never crave Velveeta again. And it's white... not yellow.

From an extrucker.... have a Happy New Year out there on the highway you ol Commercial Highway Engineer.

Pauke! Pauke!
December 31st, 2009, 15:42
Urban Myth: Someone took a twinkie and a horseshoe and nailed them up side by side in a barn. As time past, the horseshoe got rusty but the twinkie looked the same as the day it was nailed. As for the boxed Mac and Cheese, I think that they have changed the flavor of the cardboard box. It may be a cheap import now. MHO!
:jump:

cheezyflier
December 31st, 2009, 19:39
everything's better with bacon

N2056
December 31st, 2009, 20:02
everything's better with bacon

:icon29: Mmmmmm......bacon!

CBris
December 31st, 2009, 21:51
Everything seems to lose its flavour with age. I went out and bought some fresh stuff recently and no, it didn't taste the same as the stuff in my larder...

...oh... I see :icon_lol:

You talk about "Cheese, possessed". Yep, we had stuff like that in the army. A great gut-filler at 3 a.m. You could eat it raw or on bread - the stuff that comes in tins, or stir it into a soup - the stuff that comes in tins, or mix it with any other rations - the stuff that comes in tins. If it came in tins, it was FOOD.

I think the current loss in flavour has to be blamed on the tree-huggers and health nuts who run our lives. (The ones who come in tins :icon_lol: ) because they started banning the use of all those flavourings that start with "E".

You can say what you want, but a lot of things taste different now. Coke, Cornish ice cream, Daddies sauce, fourpenny ones (fruit flavoured water ice on a stick and not the other kind), American ice-cream soda...

familton
December 31st, 2009, 22:16
Try Beecher's Mac & Cheese. It's from Seattle, WA. It's the best I have ever eaten. You can get it is some of the supermarkets. Regards, Bob.

JoeW
January 1st, 2010, 01:07
I lived on Mac an' cheese during the WW2. I never want to eat any more. I had my fill.

Chacha
January 1st, 2010, 04:50
No Mac and Cheese for me..

I want Rice and Fish! :ernae:

safn1949
January 1st, 2010, 06:28
I have 137 boxes of it.........gonna have to get creative.:d

brad kaste
January 1st, 2010, 07:03
....And what about Spam? Huh? Now it comes in Turkey and who knows what. Even with reduced fat but what's the point of that? If you're gonna' eat the processed stuff,...might as well do it correctly,...with all the calories included. Yum yum.
A Spam sandwich is one of those 'fixes' one needs at times,...along with tuna and peanut butter/jelly sandwiches.
.....Actually, a Spam/Velvetta sandwich sounds quite tasty......

cheezyflier
January 1st, 2010, 07:23
No Mac and Cheese for me..

I want Rice and Fish! :ernae:

i rarely ate rice before i was married. now i'm almost addicted to it!
alot of times when i make spagetti sauce, we pour it over rice instead of noodles. :applause: