PDA

View Full Version : A Cross Roads....

Lionheart
December 31st, 2009, 10:58
Well... I have hit a cross roads in my business and carreer.

As you know, I create planes in both FSX and FS2004 format. I love FS2004. It is my sim of choice for personal flying. It is smooth and I can max out my settings. It is easy to make planes for.

In my business, when I sell planes to FS2004 people, I never hear from them again, except 'thanks'. With FSX, I hear complaints about textures not showing up, gauges not showing up, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc... Its like the ultimate bag of bugs.. I spend perhaps 20 to 30% of my time walking people through changing settings, adding the FSX SP1 update, lowering scenery settings for planes to show up, adding on the low RAM textures performance pack (regular sized textures, regular resolution), so they again show up and not turn black on the screen.

That has kind of worn on me.

But......... This is the really difficult part. I have wanted a 'compiler' that, like CFS3, can make (compile) models that have 'no' (none) limits on Vertice proximity, and can make models at 100,000 to 200,000 polygons or larger (unlimited). All for FS2004. This is so that my FS2004 models would be the same mesh as FSX. Crisp, huge in detail, smooth small parts....

I have been working on a compiler with a gentleman in Germany and we have been trying to get this going. Its taking a while.

The odd thing is that the FS2004 compiler 'should' have the 'auto-weld' on the 'exterior' model!!!!! Its backwards. You should NOT have auto-weld on the VC model so that small details (like switches and things) would have high priority since they are so close to you. It was a mistake that was never corrected.

Concerning polygons limitations, that was because at the time, MASM code worked with 386 and 486 computer chips, and the entire MACRO of the 'model' being compiled was dumped all at once into the RAM pool and being compiled, and on older computers, that could/would cause computer freezes (back then), so they limited the amount of RAM the compiler could use.

So now, here in the future, we still have ONE single compiler for FS2004 models that is backwards and antiquated, using MASM code designed for early Pentium chips, in an age where developers are now using i5 and i7 computer quad core chips......

ARRRGHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This has put me through a depression of sorts. I shouldnt be telling you guys this. I want the best models possible, and also I want these available in FS2004 and I am now stuck at a cross roads. I am going to have to continue making the Epic Victory in FSX format. Yeah... FSX. I get my small parts perfectly shaped. I can have a beautiful co-pilot lady figure. I can have the nose opening front compartment now. I can have 3D braklines on my landing gear. Things I wanted in my FS2004 model that I had to take out..

You say, 'C'mon Bill, move with the crowd!' No.. I have my freedom. I want to go where 'Bill' wants to go, not with a crowd, but where I like it, where I want to go. I like the performance of FS2004. I like how it is stable. I like how it is easy to make planes for. I like having my sliders maxed out. I like that!!!!

I had even been considering going back to FS2004 only for making models. Its faster and there are less complaints and less problems.

But I must have my small, high detail parts, and my extra additional detail.

So.... I am at a cross road.

To do, to do....

If I had great power, I would purchase FS2004 and take its limitations out like CFS3 had. I would then compile my super models and recreate the Autogen to be nicer (especially graphics) and relaunch that baby with a better fleet of new planes.

Bills world. want want want... arrgh..

I wanted to share this with you. Some of you might think its hilarious, even goofy. But perhaps there are a couple of designers developers that might agree.

If only..

Bill

Warrant
December 31st, 2009, 11:12
Bill, why don't you start something......?
See what happenes, see who is willing to help, see what legalities there are (do's and don'ts).
I know there is a whole bunch of enthousiasts out here and MS seems to have abandoned them. Why not gonna give it a try?
Perhaps the ansewer tou your roads crossing is not doing it alone, but with a group? (if possible).

Give it a thought.

Best whishes for 2010 :salute::icon29:

N2056
December 31st, 2009, 11:16
Well, you already know my position on your dilemma as we have discussed it several times privately :d

I will say that to me totally giving up on FSX development now could hurt you down the road if/when it becomes necessary to return to FSX products as it will put you at the back of the pack trying to get up to speed again. There are some interesting things being done with models these days...;)

spotlope
December 31st, 2009, 11:19
I'm sorry, Bill. Really. I feel your pain and any new tech inevitably comes with a load of that. I can only speak as a scenery developer, which is a very different pursuit from aircraft modeling, but I'd never go back to FS2004 willingly. Some see the dizzying array of modeling options in FSX as a pain. I see them as a toybox with endless opportunities for enhancement of my models. For me and a bunch of scenery devs I know, FS9 is just archaic compared to FSX. Simpler? You bet. But also simpler looking.

As computers get more powerful and cheaper, FSX is only going to get more and more dominant - at least until a new sim is introduced that eclipses it. If you're looking to be in the mainstream business-wise, I'd urge you to stick with FSX and learn its systems better. On the other hand, being an FS dev isn't a big-money game, so maybe that's not worth the hassle for you. It certainly sounds like that's the case. If that's true, then just go with what makes you happier and more fulfilled as a developer. Like they say, life's too short. :salute:

Roger
December 31st, 2009, 11:21
Ah Bill,
It's a shame you never got FsX running well but as you say it's a complicated sim with varying results between different simmers systems. So you can spend a lot of time helping customers getting your aircraft to work well.
I for one would consider it a great loss to FsX if you pulled out but I can see your frustration.
Whatever you decide I wish you all the best for the new decade:applause::ernae:

Roger.

Henry
December 31st, 2009, 11:49
to me and i understand your dilemma
we have a few creators on the staff here
we have Milton, Gramps and yourself
who basically have the same feelings
now you tell me what a team that would make
H

DB93
December 31st, 2009, 12:31
As a customer of a few of your FSX planes, I think it would be a huge loss to those of us who fly FSX exclusively, if you were to stop developing for it. That said, I can completely understand your very valid frustrations. I only hope that if you do decide to drop FSX development, that you might consider updating your Bellanca Classics Collection as native FSX aircraft (which I would jump at the chance to purchase,) before stopping development for FSX completely. Of course, that's just a personal 'wish', as ultimately you need to do whatever makes you the happiest. :)

Good luck in whatever you decide to do, and thanks for the many great FSX addons that you've already produced, they are unquestionably some of my most favorite planes. :)

Happy New Year!

-George

CBris
December 31st, 2009, 12:32
I feel the pain - but FSX is the only way to go. There is just so much more immersion possible.

Sorry all you niners...

kilo delta
December 31st, 2009, 12:51
From a purely business point of view....you'd be mad to give up on FSX. Also, no offense....but you're doing yourself no favours by running FSX on your Mac. Build a new PC (Ted and Mason have provided guidelines for low cost FSX capable systems) and you'll wonder why you'd ever want to fly in FS9 again.:kilroy::engel016:

Felixthreeone
December 31st, 2009, 12:51
I just installed X on my system, and boy does it look good! But I also have FS9 on my setup...and boy...does it look and RUN great!!! Its 9 for now...

Lionheart
December 31st, 2009, 12:59
Hey guys,

The decision is leaning more towards FSX. I guess I didnt explain myself well. I would rather stay in FS2004, but I need more detail in my planes, and I had been holding back my mesh models using FS2004 mesh requirements to make them with so that my FS2004 models had the same offerings as my FSX models.

Right now, in FSX, I can have brilliant switches and small details, and I can add my other compartments and features and not have to worry about over-poly-limitations, etc.

It's just that my bond with FS2004 is really imporatant to 'me'. Not business, but me. I love that sim and I would rather be focused on 'it' than FSX. Business is all FSX, so there is no market for FS2004 only. But I refuse to leave that market and its a better 'to deal with' market as well. The product lines install solid without errors of RAM and textures.. Gauges show up properly. Its so much better to make planes for..

I guess I am whining..

:banghead:

arrgh..

Lionheart
December 31st, 2009, 13:05
I'm sorry, Bill. Really. I feel your pain and any new tech inevitably comes with a load of that. I can only speak as a scenery developer, which is a very different pursuit from aircraft modeling, but I'd never go back to FS2004 willingly. Some see the dizzying array of modeling options in FSX as a pain. I see them as a toybox with endless opportunities for enhancement of my models. For me and a bunch of scenery devs I know, FS9 is just archaic compared to FSX. Simpler? You bet. But also simpler looking.

As computers get more powerful and cheaper, FSX is only going to get more and more dominant - at least until a new sim is introduced that eclipses it. If you're looking to be in the mainstream business-wise, I'd urge you to stick with FSX and learn its systems better. On the other hand, being an FS dev isn't a big-money game, so maybe that's not worth the hassle for you. It certainly sounds like that's the case. If that's true, then just go with what makes you happier and more fulfilled as a developer. Like they say, life's too short. :salute:

Hey Bill,

I fully understand. From what I have heard, the scenery side of FSX development has improved so radically much from FS2004, including textures limitations, a 'round earth' this time, installment of ground textures, etc.

For plane makers, you have work trippled. You have a new XML code to work with (so if you work in both FSX and FS2004, that is now doubled), you have a more sophisticated, delicate, and thus moody gauge code (animation code) system for models (airplanes) so there is more to go wrong and diagnose when setting up your animations. The FSX tools do not function and 'attach' components/codes/effects 20% of the time (that may be slightly overexagerated, but not by much). Textures require lots of delicate babying as there are perhaps 4 to 7 diff textures per material in a model. So at say 15 to 20 materials, thats how many textures. eeeks!

Then, you have to walk people through getting your planes to work if you have high resolutions and tons of animations.

Part of the biz...

:isadizzy:

Lionheart
December 31st, 2009, 13:06
I will stop whining... I will stop whining... I will stop whining...

<-- smacks self

CBris
December 31st, 2009, 13:09
Yeah - folk only read what they want to see Bill - I am with you. I know it'll hurt, but FSX is at least up to date and will remain stable (as far as developement goes) for a good few years.

Whilst MS aren't / might not be following up on their flight sim, some publishers are thinking seriously about an heir to the throne. What I read there is that they won't even think about FS9 as a user-base. FSX has the means and any successor will use (or attempt to use) Compatibility to FSX.

The problem with a lot of new developers for FSX is that they need to completely re-learn the "howtos" with respect to the SDK.

Everything does work in FSX. You just need to understand how and why.

Folks, I am still running an FS9 PC (> 3years old) and I am still getting usable performance (50+ FPS is not uncommon. And I have stopped working on FS9 entirely; ages ago. X is just too much fun.

Rezabrya
December 31st, 2009, 13:33
If I had great power, I would purchase FS2004 and take its limitations out like CFS3 had. I would then compile my super models and recreate the Autogen to be nicer (especially graphics) and relaunch that baby with a better fleet of new planes.

Bill
Isn't that FSX?

NoNewMessages
December 31st, 2009, 14:24

I hear whine goes well with (macaroni &) cheese. :mixedsmi:

If you think FS9 runs better than FSX, just wait until you try FS2000 on a Mac (& cheese)!

I found an O-L-D plane mentioned at an airport on your side of the river. No fancy gauges. Probably not a ton of animations. Just an old plane that people would love to fly. Might become your best seller EVER, of ALL-TIME! I could go back and find a phone number, in case you wanted to call the guy and see if he wanted his classic made for FSX? All I remember is that you need to head north and make a left turn at Little America.

FelixFFDS
December 31st, 2009, 14:41

<-- smacks self

#1 Do you need a visit from Inspector Poly to smack your head on straight?

#2 and in all seriousness - the day you stop whining about your FS2004/FS-X problems, is the day you quit modelling entirely. Remember, it's been your "whining" that has forced you to learn more and more. It's been your whining that's brought out new ways of doing things. It's been your whining that has led many a developer to learn from you (and from your mistakes) ....

Now, pipe down, or I'll bring up the blue checkered box again!

MCDesigns
December 31st, 2009, 14:45
Bill, I have the utmost respect for you as a developer (and a person), so please don't take this the wrong way. If you love FS9 so much, you should develop for FS9. I don't feel any developer should develop for a platform they do not want to develop for and in the back of my mind, if I know that a developer is just developing for a platform that they really don't care for (business or not) I will always feel that their heart isn't into it and I'll wonder if the addon is all that it could be.

Knowing first hand how much work is involved I'd almost feel guilty buying an FSX aircraft from you now knowing how you feel about developing for FSX.

You gotta do what is going to make "you" happy, not us.

Felixthreeone
December 31st, 2009, 14:52
And to think...I was soooo excited for the Epic VLJ in fs9....what a colossal letdown. Another good FS9 developer bites the dust.

Felixthreeone
December 31st, 2009, 14:55
Bill,

Your planes are among my favs in fs9. I can't even use them in fsx because default i get 14fps. So maybe one day, a few years from now, I can once again enjoy the FS developmental mastery that is Lionheart Creations....as it stands right now...I hope I have a job at all in 2010 let alone the money to afford an FSX rig...I will pray that i do....

Mathias
December 31st, 2009, 15:05
You know Bill, I don't know if it helps in any way or if it even applies to your current situation, anyway ,here goes:
I' ve skipped FS9 entirely because of the dreaded 4mm weld issue.
We've been doing 3d gauges since back in CFS2 days but FS9 was a step back due to said bug. We've been modelling for CFS3 instead.
Interest in the civil FS line came back with the possibilities FSX had to offer, and you know what? You're a desinger by heart who wants to push the limits and inspite of the FSX bugs there's nothing better around right now so go with it. You can always talk your users through the FSX configuration whoes but you will never feel good with something that you know of could be done better on another plattform, simply because you want it to be right.
Happy new year to you and all the fellow SOH members!

heywooood
December 31st, 2009, 15:29

<-- smacks self

bah - its the time of year for adding things up and taking their measure to see what its all costing and whether it is worth the battle

it looks like FSX allows for more detail but with added work and some amount of frustration that is absent in the older format...also that your extra efforts are less appreciated (or even understood) by your constituency, and that rankles a bit.

Having looked at 3d modeling in the most rudimentary terms myself and having some experience in 4d balsa and plastic scale modeling - I feel competent to say I understand where you are coming from.
One pursues perfection in all aspects of modeling - form, fit, function and finish - pinpoint accuracy in all the details is the goal.

I can only say that your works are sublime - and beyond that, you provide unequaled service and support.

I do hope you will continue to make FSX better than its creators imagined it could be - FTX, REX and Lionheart Creations give us virtual flying that is as close to real as it gets - thats FACT

cheers Bill - and thanks for the great planes :ernae:

DB93
December 31st, 2009, 15:35

<-- smacks self

You know what? None of it sounded like whining to me (at least not until the above post I quoted... lol j/k). It sounded like someone who needed to vent about some things and did so. Sometimes venting can be a great way to work through things, as it allows you to verbalize the many thoughts in your head, and can help you to sort through them. It can also help you see them with a different eye once they've been sorted through. So I say vent away. It's good for you, and may help alleviate some of the stress and depression you've been feeling over all of this. :)

-George

jmig
December 31st, 2009, 16:37
Bill my friend, I am strictly a consumer. I buy airplanes and scenery and other FSX stuff. The only FS9 add on I have ever purchased in the last two years is the VRS F-18. I bought that for two reasons, one I wanted to see what it could do and two, I wanted to support them so the FSX model would come out. I do not have FS9 on my computer any longer.

I have purchased all of your FSX aircraft except the Tailwind (of it will help I will buy it too.) However, I am not posting to talk about FSX or FS9. I want to talk about Bill and Lionheart Creations.

I will put it very succinctly, you Billl, are one class individual. I am a very discriminating consumer. I am big on customer service. I will buy one airplane from you that I like, the second will be purchased because I am happy with the support I receive, if there are problems.

You are not the only one who does this but, you are very visible with your support, updates, etc. It is obvious that you care. A piece of your heart goes into every airplane you make. I respect that and I respect you for being so.

As to advise? I have none. You know best what is best for you. I just want to thank you, on this occasion, for making my world a little nicer.

Happy 2010!

michael davies
December 31st, 2009, 17:01
Bill,

Been there done that and my advice is to ignore everyones advice here :), thats not malicious but bitter experiance, some will agree, some will not, either way they are not you, only you and you alone can decide where you go.

The cross roads sounds like not which sim to develope for but which fiddle to play, sounds like your trying to please others rather than your self, thats the wrong way to go, its the correct commercial head but its the wrong emotional head. Dont make what you think others think you should make, make what you want to make, the rest will fall into place. Granted some may complain at the potential loss of your work, but at what price to you ?. Self sacrifice is great bit sometimes me is important.

Personally I found deleting FS9 and all the addons (expensive) the only way to walk forward, technically FSx wins hands down, for game play then FS9 wins hands down and as I'm an engineer and a modeler far more than a gamer the choice was made easier. I dont agree with developing for both, its time consuming and emotionally draining.

And thats my one post a month used up on day one LOL.

What ever you do, you must be happy with yourself.

Sincerely

Michael

Kiwikat
December 31st, 2009, 17:09
Personally I found deleting FS9 and all the addons (expensive) the only way to walk forward, technically FSx wins hands down, for game play then FS9 wins hands down

Really? FS9 and FSX coexist on my machine just fine (and many others', including developers).

FS9 wins hands down for gameplay? I don't know what sim you're flying, but FSX is worlds smoother and looks far better than FS9 ever did. I rarely touch my FS9 anymore and it will be completely gone once the VRS F-18 is released...

:mixedsmi:

CodyValkyrie
December 31st, 2009, 17:14
Bill, whatever your decision, I am sure the community here at SOH stand behind you regardless.

On a more personal note, I have seen more modelers drop FS9 completely because of these pains. They are only multiplied by having to develop on two different platforms. So, the perhaps you need to write down the benefits of both and weight it out.

FS9
-Easier to develop for
-Better customers
-Less customer support issues

FSX
-Higher profits
-Push personal limits further in regards to modeling, etc

What I am curious about, is what is your hold out? I am concerned with the core issue of why you are having such a hard time adjusting (besides trying to develop for TWO platforms). I think it comes down to what you personally want in a simulator, which only you can define, and as such Michael Davies raises the valid point that only YOU can decide which is best for you. FSX has been polarizing and subjective, but I myself have bought into it lock stock and barrel, and am enjoying it both on the development side but on a consumer side as well. Our expectations are perhaps different though.

I dropped the whole idea of "what it COULD have been" and just started enjoying FSX for what it was, an aging platform forced into the NOW. I now enjoy what guys such as yourself present, along with some of the other very talented developers. The stuff that doesn't perform well or doesn't fit MY tastes, I drop and move on. I only keep what makes me smile. I'll be the first to admit though that the biggest single factor in my enjoyment was figuring out how to make FSX work, which frankly required a purpose built machine. Once I got over that hurdle, the playing field wasn't quite as steep.

Anyways, I'm rambling. Good luck friend.

A word of advice perhaps... sometimes sleeping on it or taking an absence from things makes things much more clear. This goes for almost anything. I have my moments when I want to throw my computer out of a window. I rest or walk away, and when I come back I have renewed energy. When you are head deep in water, you focus on the bottom of the water, but when you take a breather you see the beauty that is the glistening surface.

harleyman
December 31st, 2009, 18:00
Hmmmm Bill.....

I buy all your planes ..For sever reasond, as stated above...

Your models work on both FS9 and FSX, usually latly they do..I like that..

Second , ther are always highend, great flight charestics

Thirdly..I buy from you, I not only get a plane, but a person that has truely put blood , sweat , and tears into making it the best you can...

And that my friend is the worth of a Lionheart creation to me...I get the plane, at a great price, and I get a friend for life...

I say pick your platform..Do what makes you happy..if ya end up in the poor house I will save a big cardboard house for you to live in, right next to me....LOL

You sir, are one top shelf, stand up developer...And a friend...

Lionheart
December 31st, 2009, 22:15
Thanks guys for your advice, input, and kind words.

:engel016:

Bill

Chacha
December 31st, 2009, 22:44
Hey Bill,

You know I have all your planes....

I am so blessed that I have a good friend that cater to my addiction! :ernae:

I love FS9 it is more easier to learn and doesn't have a lot of problems. (Like adjustment every time I change aircraft..) but I like the ice candy I get from FSX....

I fly both sims, I crash aircraft either FS9 or FSX.... I am so spoiled I would fly in both sims and see the difference.... I can't use the technical terminologies you use, but I can speak of enjoyment and satisfaction I get flying either sims. On my FSX, Lionheart's eye candy on his aircraft has a lot more to offer! :running:

So either way you go, Bill... We are on your side.... I know you will never abandon FS9 as long as you are making models.... It is your first love and it will never die! :ernae:

Have a Prosperous 2010! May God Bless you and Lionheart Creations more abundantly... :engel016:

michael davies
January 1st, 2010, 02:43
Really? FS9 and FSX coexist on my machine just fine (and many others', including developers).

:mixedsmi:

Well good for you.

I said personally, that doesnt make it a subject for your condescending disection. Other people in this thread have said FS9 is smoother than FSx, why pick my post apart, you've been doing this for several years now and its wearing a little thin, its about time you let go of what ever perceived wrong doing I've done to you and flog another horse.

Account / subject closed.

Ferry_vO
January 1st, 2010, 04:28
Behave boys! :173go1:

Bill, I love your work and it will be interesting to see your future models! You've always been a master of detail and FsX gives you a lot more room for that.
I still fly Fs9, but I find myself more and more flying in FsX, now that the community is gradually improving the sim bit by bit.

AusWilko
January 1st, 2010, 04:46
As someone who has struggled to stay with fsx because my hardware is still a step behind but can run 9 at full tilt it is very frustrating to be torn between the 2 as I would love to use a single platform for both heavy tubes (FS9) and choppers and lights (FSX) but that is still at least 6 months away.

Your one of the good guys so support will follow no matter what so chose as you must :salute:

grunau_baby
January 1st, 2010, 05:21
Bill,

sometimes itīs time to let something go, to lose semething to gain another...
But finally itīs your decision...

I look at from the customer/"enjoyer" point of view which might be parallel to your developer point of view. I loved my FS9 isntall with all the things/and money I stuck into it over the years, runing it all maxed out. But I uninstalled - why?

When I grew on FSX - involving new rigs, constant tweaking, draw backs and successes, so now it runs allright (not superb, but fine) - and aircraft and scenery evolved, I wanted more, more detail, more eyecandy. I need things that I feel push the limit a little further... So at a point there was no way back in enjoyment, even though it meant more tweaking and even more support-issues and draw backs with some products.

The parallel might be IMHO that moving forward - which I feel is one thing you really want, but which involves time, more work and "pain". These sufferings might also keep you from leaving the easy way (fs9) behind. But really: do you like to walk backwards (even though itīs downhill and easier;-) "True love travels on a gravel road". But thatīs just my two cents...

Make up your mind when and however you personally feel. Weīre with you!:ernae:

Regards
Alex

empeck
January 1st, 2010, 07:15
I can't imagine myself going back to FS9. I wanted to make my Pirat for FS9 too, but when I started there was so many things I'd have to remove (like all those small parts in VC, detail textures, 2048x2048 textures, winch, and more), so I gave up. I have started working on Orlik again, and here are even more things I'd have to remove. For me FS9 is history, just like CFS2, Jane's WW2 Fighters, Red Baron, etc. These were good simulators, but times changed, I want better sceneries, detailed aircrafts, better lighting, dynamic shadows, better physics...

There is only older simulator I fly from time to time - it's EECH because of Mi-24 made by Arneh.

Cazzie
January 1st, 2010, 10:11
Bill, I still go both ways and really at the moment could never leave FS9 simply because so many really great airplanes are available for free. For me, it is not the scenery as much as the airplanes, I have always had a fetish for things that fly, be it birds or airplanes.

I am strictly a skinner and I love doing paints for both FS9 and FSX.

For FS9, I can whip out a paint in a day or so, for FSX native, that might be a week or so due to the extra bump and spec textures that must be done.

But whatever you do, there will always be some Lionheart planes in either sim I have.

And I also know your true love lies in Sci-Fi. :icon_lol:

Caz

cheezyflier
January 1st, 2010, 11:26
pshew! for several posts i also misunderstood! i'm glad you cleared that up.
after the awesomeness you have released this year, i shuddered at the thought of seeing no more new stuff from you. i have a crap computer that is from 2002. fs9 runs alot better on my box too. somehow, through the use of alacrity pc, and who knows why else, it (barely) runs FSX.
your kodaik defined this year (sim-wise) for me, and i'm sure many others.
i hope that somehow, things become less of a pita for you.
2 cor 12:9 hang in there bro

Penzoil3
January 1st, 2010, 13:52
:salute:
Sir; I have most of your products. I fly them both in FSX, and FS9. Personally I fly FSX, but I multi player with friends who have FS9, so I fly that too.
So for my two cents, I want you to continue developing planes that I can use in both sims. But just keep developing! You are a valuable asset to the flight sim community!
Thanks for all your hard work! BTW, I have never had a problem with any of your products, on 3 different systems. They install flawlessly in both sims. ( keep building faster systems for FSX, LOL )
Thanks
Sue

Piglet
January 1st, 2010, 14:02
Maybe when the economy gets better, get a day job, and go back to freeware? Part of what keeps me going is the simple fact that I can do whatever, whenever. Maybe the only way to truely follow your heart's desires is to NOT make it a job.

Milton Shupe
January 1st, 2010, 15:15
Maybe when the economy gets better, get a day job, and go back to freeware? Part of what keeps me going is the simple fact that I can do whatever, whenever. Maybe the only way to truely follow your heart's desires is to NOT make it a job.

Them's wise words there. :salute:

spotlope
January 1st, 2010, 15:21
Ah, but what a beautiful thing it is when your heart's desire is your job. When it works, it's wondrous.

abrussell
January 4th, 2010, 16:31
Bill
I have your Viking, Epic, and my all time favourite, the Kodiak. Personally and selfishly I would hate to see you stop developing for FSX. Your aircraft and support are second to none. However I can appreciate your angst dealing with FSX customers who won't read the manual or who need their hand held from the point of purchase onwards or figure their purchase price should guarantee a lifetime of free support. and absolve them from any responsibility to make the aircraft work in their system. Until I retired from my occupation I was constantly instructing the same people over and over again how to perform the same task again and again and again. This was a factor in my developing a clinical depression from which I am still trying to recover. My only suggestion is to follow your heart and do what makes you happy.
Bruce

Wing_Z
January 4th, 2010, 18:07
I just wish MS had fired ACES when they first saw how lousy FSX/DX10/VISTA was.
That way, all you talented folks would've spent your time making FS9 even better than it was (and is).
Even with the talent pool split between the sims, I'm surprised at the amazing things happening to FS9 3 years after its "successor" was introduced.
If I were developing for FSX, I too might be entranced by the possibilities it offers.
But I would have to ask myself, if I were earning a living doing it:
"What's the return on one complex FSX product, vs maybe 1.8 much easier and less buggy FS9 ones?"
I suppose the market will decide, but I hope just a few will give FS9 another go, once their computers are upgraded.
It's a very rewarding experience, albeit for different reasons from FSX.

Sorry for posting this in the FSX forum, but as I was here...:running:

aeronca1
January 4th, 2010, 18:31
As a former developer (software, not Sim models) I used to ask myself this question. What platform's software sells the best?

Now that MS has ceased developing FlightSim, what percentage of the market is "owned" by the various versions?

Personally, FS9 is it for me. I won't ever go to FSX. That decision has brought some pains, as I used to love Piglet's planes. Now they just generate a wish that someone else will do a FS9 version, rather than the pleasure they used to bring......

All in all, from a business sense, you'll just have to analyze what Sim brings you the most profit and go from there.

cheezyflier
January 4th, 2010, 19:11
As a former developer (software, not Sim models) I used to ask myself this question. What platform's software sells the best?

Now that MS has ceased developing FlightSim, what percentage of the market is "owned" by the various versions?

Personally, FS9 is it for me. I won't ever go to FSX. That decision has brought some pains, as I used to love Piglet's planes. Now they just generate a wish that someone else will do a FS9 version, rather than the pleasure they used to bring......

All in all, from a business sense, you'll just have to analyze what Sim brings you the most profit and go from there.

eventually the computer you use now will go belly up. then you'll get another one. maybe you'll say "hmmm as long as i'm getting one it may as well be a nice one" and then, by that time, when you see what your dollar buys you, you'll see that your new rig will run fsx real well, and you just may reconsider.

MCDesigns
January 4th, 2010, 20:26
I just wish MS had fired ACES when they first saw how lousy FSX/DX10/VISTA was.
That way, all you talented folks would've spent your time making FS9 even better than it was (and is).
Even with the talent pool split between the sims, I'm surprised at the amazing things happening to FS9 3 years after its "successor" was introduced.
If I were developing for FSX, I too might be entranced by the possibilities it offers.
But I would have to ask myself, if I were earning a living doing it:
"What's the return on one complex FSX product, vs maybe 1.8 much easier and less buggy FS9 ones?"
I suppose the market will decide, but I hope just a few will give FS9 another go, once their computers are upgraded.
It's a very rewarding experience, albeit for different reasons from FSX.

Sorry for posting this in the FSX forum, but as I was here...:running:

That doesn't make sense, since FSX/DX10/VISTA isn't lousy:isadizzy:

Interesting view and while I can appreciate your fondness for FS9, I can't imagine ever going back to it. I loved that sim and spent way to many hours in it, but it's like with anything else, once you experience something you consider better in so many ways, going backwards just isn't an option, at least for me.
I have followed what payware developers have been doing over the time that FSX has been released and I am thrilled to see more and more going with FSX only. To be honest, if that had not happened and FSX wasn't embraced as it is, I would have gone to another sim instead of going back to FS9.
I do my fair share of commercial design, mostly outside of FS, but one thing I have found, if I don't enjoy the platform I am working on/in, then there is no point in me continuing.

Wombat_VC
January 4th, 2010, 21:10
Hey Bill, if one does not need to follow a strict development deadline, why not develop for both? Put the details in the FSX model, then remove/modify those details when compiling for FS9. This is more or less doing double job, but as mentioned, if this is passion rather than purely business, why not? Further more, since your business practice has been to put both models in the package, no customers will complain.

Wing_Z
January 4th, 2010, 21:31

It most certainly was lousy in its first incarnation, and there are two major rebuilds to prove it.
The product that MS abandoned eventually was essentially FSXI v0.8

You're quite right that going back is never an option, but I pitch for FS9 as a fully-loaded sim, not a stock item.,
In that guise it blows FSX into its plasticky water.
Now I'm being naughty, I know this is not apples and apples, and FSX may eventually have enough hangons to make it acceptable (If computer design changes somewhat to accommodate something that lives on clock speed, that is).

My point is that with the available computers, there is an amazing simulator experience available right now in FS9 - no case of "Going Back" at all!
I'd love to see support for developers improving it even more.

In fact, thinking a little more about it, I'd love to see FSX developed as an arcade-type game, and FS9 as a simulator.
That way, they wouldn't compete for the same development resources.

spotlope
January 5th, 2010, 05:53
I smell a troll. Anyone who keeps up with FSX knows that it's a long way from stock at this point. SP1, SP2, and Acceleration are a distant memory now, and with the amount of add-ons available for FSX it's a hands-down winner compared to FS9. How many baubles do you need to hang on the sim before you declare it "fully loaded"? Sorry, but the argument just doesn't wash.

Snuffy
January 5th, 2010, 06:17
I am all FSX ... gave my fs9 to my Dad. Unfortunately his computer can't run FS9 ... (I need to update Dad's computer ... one day.)

I have no problems whatsoever with FSX never since installation. I'm running latest patches and Accel as well.

I'll never go back, and knowing that I may never have an opportunity to fly a Lionheart creation ... well that's the breaks I guess.

I will say this much, you can't have both. If you want ultra high detailed aircraft then you're going to have to go with the sim that allows you to do that and let go of the program that restricts you.

I tend to agree with the comments about trying to run fsx on a mac ... I'm sorry you're sold on them too. My PC running XP Pro works just fine for everything I have, and I don't have to worry about compatiblity issues with software output sharing.

----

With regard to your tech support calls, I'd say it was more a matter of user error of the people "thinking" they know how to run FSX rather than read your readme and installation instructions. Then we also have those users out there that seem to think that overclocking is the bomb ... and fail to realize the trouble that overclocking can cause. Instruction set code for certain CPUs are designed to work at a particular speed, any slower or any faster and the instruction set starts getting fuzzy. Want more speed? Buy a faster CPU ... quit overclocking.

Don't give up.

n4gix
January 5th, 2010, 10:44
Currently, sales for FSX versions are ~4:1 versus the FS9 versions. I know which version is making me money! :ernae:

Wing_Z
January 5th, 2010, 11:07
I smell a troll...
No.
I wouldn't have posted here if Lionheart didn't raise the issue.
Fact is, I detest FSX, and it never fails to disappoint in every session, in some way.
FS9 does not, it just does what it does, consistently.
This may well be down to expectation, as I would've wanted much much more from the successor to my favourite sim.
But this is just me, and the truth unfortunately will probably be found here:

Currently, sales for FSX versions are ~4:1 versus the FS9 versions. I know which version is making me money! :ernae:
There may well be room for both sims, even if it is a 4:1 split in favour of FSX.
There are actually more FS9 toys than you could reasonably play with;
Someone catering to 20% of the sim market with a new FS9 offering every so often, would be a great bonus.

tigisfat
January 5th, 2010, 11:19
I'm all FSX too, een though I can't run it all out. I run it good enough.

I know FS2004 is a better piece of software, there's no delusions there. The engineering behind FSX is poor. It feels like they bloated out a load bearing structure, and now its creaking. Simply put, FSX looks more modern and has more capabilities; that's why I stay with it. That load bearing structure looks better now. I can handle the creaking.

Kiwikat
January 5th, 2010, 11:38
Fact is, I detest FSX, and it never fails to disappoint in every session, in some way.
FS9 does not, it just does what it does, consistently.
This may well be down to expectation, as I would've wanted much much more from the successor to my favourite sim.
But this is just me, and the truth unfortunately will probably be found here:

I now "detest" FS9 (a bit too strong of a word, but for sake of symmetry...), and it always disappoints me every time I run it.

FSX does not. It does what it does, consistently.

FSX is way more than FS9 ever was and continues to be a worthy successor to my favorite sim of the past.

But maybe this is just me... or is it?

b52bob
January 5th, 2010, 11:44
Weel, since it seems the whole world is posting on this subject.

I was one who detested FSX and was a big supporter of FS9...until I upgraded my computer. Now, FS9 just seems to sit on my desktop and every time I run it I run back to FSX. Sure, there are more add ons for FS9 but IMHO they don't (excepting a very few) hold a candle to FSX. I am constantly amazed at what has been done for our enjoyment.

bushpilot
January 5th, 2010, 11:59
I expunged FS9 the same minute I first laid my eyes on my new FSX installation two years ago. FSX is a real bush pilot's platform. Back when I flew with FS9 I was always praying for someone to make sim with sharp ground textures, dence autogen and water that looks like water. The immersion factor is multiple times bigger in FSX and for me that's the key thing.

Performance has never been an issue for me, even with my previous lousy setup I always got decent frames. And sceneries and airplanes tend to be much higher quality in FSX. FS9 was outdated already the day it came out.:salute:

Now I'm off to enjoy some breathtaking FSX viewshttp://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/images/icons/icon26.gif

Naki
January 5th, 2010, 12:19
I love both sims and run both. I use FSX more nowadays because there are a couple of aircraft that I like and have in FSX that I cant get in FS9..the scenery is generally better detailed in FSX as well. If I want to immerse myself in complex aircraft at big airports with tons of AI I go back to FS9. My PC wont run FSX smoothly in that sort of enviroment (and probably very few PCs will). I tend to enjoy warbirds and GA aircraft at smaller airports so FSX is usually the sim of choice.

Bjoern
January 5th, 2010, 12:52

Well, Vista is indeed a lousy OS...but 7 isn't. ;)

I expunged FS9 the same minute I first laid my eyes on my new FSX installation two years ago. FSX is a real bush pilot's platform. Back when I flew with FS9 I was always praying for someone to make sim with sharp ground textures, dence autogen and water that looks like water. The immersion factor is multiple times bigger in FSX and for me that's the key thing.

Heh, same here. Got FSX for XMas 2006 and ditched FS9 two weeks later.

Simply gotta love FSX's variety in ground textures as well as its autogen density.

Dexdoggy
January 5th, 2010, 13:05
Bill, I am the proud owner of your FSX Epic and Tailwind which I absolutely love! The "little" extra features that you provide (like the iPhone in the Tailwind) make it even more immersive. Whatever you decide to pursue, it's going to be awesome for us end users I'm sure! :applause::applause::applause:

Mobayrasta
January 5th, 2010, 13:15
I am FSX all the way. I have a computer that can run it really well though. I7 940, 6 GIGS super fast ram, NVIDIA 285. I love this sim and can run it pretty much maxed out with no problems. I think the lovers of FS9 are only lovers of FS9 because they do not have the hardware to run FSX.

FS9 WAS a great simulator but it has been far surpassed by FSX. It is not even a question any more.

I still own my FS9 disc but would never go back to it. I think of the tons and tons of money I spent during my FS9 days and have no regrets. It was GREAT while it lasted but it has gone the way of the dinosaur and should be extinct........ FSX is where it's at!

Lionheart it would break my heart if you were to stop developing for FSX. Your planes are simply amazing, but I must be able to fly them over beautiful textures such a ORBX and GEX. There is nothing for FS9 that is even close.

Respect

Chris

guzler
January 5th, 2010, 14:22
I love detailed scenery, the attraction of flying in real life is taking in the view and feeling alive with all the senses feeling fully awake. FSX gives me the closes thing on a computer to this experiece. My pc struggles on frame rates where as FS9 run like a dream, but having got used to seeing cars on the roads, gorgeous water reflections and crisp ground detail, I have sacrified smooth play for better visuals. I have just ordered a new PC to get the frame rates and visuals, I'm just greedy !!!!!! Yes I would love FSX to run maxed out on a slower pc, but it doesn't, so I had a choice to make and I made it.