PDA

View Full Version : I crashed

PRB
December 29th, 2009, 13:37
I was in the beautiful new Sibwings Birddog. I took off from Newport Skypark (ME68) and flew to Blue Hill (07B). That's in Maine. So I get to Blue Hill, turning right base for a runway 34 landing. I get a bit low as I begin the turn to final, and there's a big tree looming. So I turn tighter, to miss the tree... A few seconds before the mishap, I got this thought in my mind that I only needed to climb a tad to miss the tree in the Y dimension as well as the X... Well, it was too much. The little Cessna stalled, rolled left and into the trees short of the runway. Just like that. Game over. Hate it when that happens!

Curtis P40
December 29th, 2009, 14:00
So do pilots in real life

TeaSea
December 29th, 2009, 15:13
Indeed. We had a recent incident here in which a pilot in a Cessna 172 was making an approach into St. Pete when the tower was informed him he was going into runway 22 vice runway 27 where he was supposed to be headed.

Rather than execute a go around he attempted to make a heading correction, stalled the airplane, and plunged into Tampa Bay.

Tragically he and his passengers (his parents) all drowned.

Remember....angle of attack, angle of attack, angle of attack......

That's where the airplane stalls, no matter what the airspeed.

PRB
December 29th, 2009, 15:17
Yep. It's a rookie mistake, and sometimes a not-so-rookie mistake. We had a fighter pilot die in this exact way at NAS Lemoore many years ago. He was flying a T-34 and had many hours in FA-18s. The accident investigation concluded he did that very thing.

Tylerb59
December 29th, 2009, 16:50
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7nm_hoHhbFo

PRB
December 29th, 2009, 17:00
Wow. That was interesting stuff. Thanks, Tyler.

cheezyflier
December 29th, 2009, 19:38
Wow. That was interesting stuff. Thanks, Tyler.

very cool! :applause: i actually learned something! that's a pretty good trick, considering i have such a thick head! :icon_lol:

Chacha
December 29th, 2009, 19:50
Very Interesting...

Thanks for the info....

That is probably why I crash most of the time.... :monkies:

I will be more careful and pay more attention on my banking... and yanking...

I always counter react it - most of the time.... Oh well...

Snuffy
December 29th, 2009, 20:27
Yep. It's a rookie mistake, and sometimes a not-so-rookie mistake. We had a fighter pilot die in this exact way at NAS Lemoore many years ago. He was flying a T-34 and had many hours in FA-18s. The accident investigation concluded he did that very thing.

the way I fly its SOP. :bump:

stansdds
December 30th, 2009, 02:49
Impatience has been my bane for successful landings. I have learned, through countless crashes and overshoots, that if the approach isn't near perfect while I'm a mile or two out, then I'm best off going around and setting up for another approach. Making severe course corrections while in the pattern just invites disaster. Thank goodness no one dies or is injured in flight simulators, otherwise, I would not by typing this post.

Matt Wynn
December 30th, 2009, 05:13
i would be typing :icon_lol: and i am, yeah AoA is a really critical factor if your airspeed ain't right and your nose is high start the panic *Unless at a safe altitude for recovery OR Aerobatics) generally below the treeline can be a bit... fatal :icon_lol:

jmig
December 30th, 2009, 05:41
Paul, I have had that same experience a time or two. It is unnerving. I remember thinking once, "So this what it is like to die." It was strangely fatalistic, when it happened.

The problem with FSX is that you can't feel the airplane. Just like a good driver can sense an impending skid by the back end getting light, a pilot can (usually) sense the airplane about to depart.

fliger747
December 30th, 2009, 17:55
Indeed stall recgonition and recovery are a good recurrent practice! Some aircraft however will flip out over the top into a stall/spin if some G is being pulled, with little warning.

Cheers: T

TheOptimist
December 30th, 2009, 23:40
I don't feel like I have enough of a grasp on bank angles and their effects on stall speeds etc.

I'm only a relatively low hours PPL student though so perhaps that's not expected. Plus, I'm fortunate to have very good instructors, not to mention that I fly from the shortest licensed airfield in the UK! Circuit has to be good!

CBris
December 31st, 2009, 00:04
Well there you go! Excellent video that just goes to show that something fool proof isn't...

Great use of the glass panel though.

jmig
December 31st, 2009, 05:18
Indeed stall recgonition and recovery are a good recurrent practice! Some aircraft however will flip out over the top into a stall/spin if some G is being pulled, with little warning.

Cheers: T

Higher speed departure (accelerated) stalls are the most insidious and dangerous. The pilot isn't expecting the airplane to depart because, he feels he is going fast enough to preclude a stall. Then out of the blue, the nose pitches up and the airplane rolls on its back.

The startled pilot doesn't realize what has happened and he often keeps the stick back or worse pulls harder, thereby increasing the stall. This is not limited to low hour inexperienced pilots either.

I had a squadron buddy kill himself and his backseater in just this way. The backseater was a very good friend of mine. I flew home with him for the last time and had to present the flag to his mother at the funeral. That was not fun.

TeaSea
December 31st, 2009, 15:34
Yep, high speed stalls....most dangerous because of the false sense of security...and I hate practicing these because they are the most dramatic.

I came off a runway today in real life and remembered this discussion as I pulled a steeper than normal bank at 500 ft AGL.

I decided I didn't need to push it that much.....