PDA

View Full Version : How do you merge CAT and DAT files into X3TC?

Lionheart
December 29th, 2009, 02:27
Hey all, you too Mike..

How do you enter or add CAT and DAT files into X3TC?

If I use the 'select mod' on the mini 'startup' panel, it deselects my VC cockpits.

Would I number the CAT/DAT files as next number up in series in the primary folder?

Thanks for any advice on this.

Bill

harleyman
December 29th, 2009, 02:43
Good question as that is the way I added my VC files as you had me do..

I wondered about adding more that was, if you would be able to activate more than one from that start up list when the game is launched...

Is that what you are refering to ???

Lionheart
December 29th, 2009, 03:34
Good question as that is the way I added my VC files as you had me do..

I wondered about adding more that was, if you would be able to activate more than one from that start up list when the game is launched...

Is that what you are refering to ???

Hey Mason,

There is a way to add them into your existing ones where you do not have to have them activated in the start menu, so they are always on. I have heard about it but now I cant find anything on that, lol.. arrgh.

When I make a ship in Gmax, it comes out eventually as a CAT/DAT set. I need to find out how to either convert those to a SKP (script) file, or how to easily add and delete them from X3. Scripts are best, but I cant figure out how to convert CAT/DAT's to SKP. or XFS or something. (Ships might be a different format.. I forgot about that.. ).

Bill

harleyman
December 29th, 2009, 03:38
Well I will just follow your lead...

Does this mean the Lionheart Creations will make and sell cool ships for us too????

YEA...i will buy them...

pied
December 29th, 2009, 06:58
Aloha Bill!

What I've done with the VC Mod is to use the 'false patch' method, ie I rename the 08 and above numbered CAT and Dat files to the next higher number, and then rename the VC CAT and DAT files to '08'. The game then sees them as a 'patch' and they don't need to be activated....

PIED

gigabyte
December 29th, 2009, 08:35
PIED is correct adding mods to the game as a False Patch is simply a matter of renaming the ???.dat and ???.cat files sequnceally and placing them in the main Terran Conflict folder. I think I posted on this before, but here is what I have done so I can keep things stright.

I copy the mod files into the "C:\Program Files (x86)\EGOSOFT\X3 Terran Conflict\mods" folder exactaly as they were extracted from the download file, I leave them there as they are named so I can see which mods I have in the game launch screen even though I do not load them from there. I then copy them again to the main "C:\Program Files (x86)\EGOSOFT\X3 Terran Conflict" folder, now I would look at the list of .CAT/.DAT files and I rename this set to the next number. That's all that is required when you start the game they will load and you are good to go. This method allows you to load more than one Mod at a time plus you can still have a spot on the launch screen if you want to test any additional before patching them into the game.

Keeping two copies of the Mod files may be an issue if you are running a full conversion Mod and it is a large file with additional sectors and sjips, but for the cockpits and AMS it is under 30 meg so it is not a big deal. If space is a problem, just delete the .dat files from the Mods folder that will be the big boy and the .cat file will still show so you have the file name for reference.

One other thing I do is I create a text file which lists the mod names and which number I have given them and save that in the mod folder, that way if I wish to remove a specific mod it is easy to identify it, my Terran Conflict file looks like this;

10 = PSC-Cockpit mod - PSCO1_CockpitMod_v1.20a_withHUD.cat
11 = Apricot Mapping Service - Apricot_Mapping_Service_Mod_X3TC_v2.11.cat

See the screen shot below of my X3 folder to see the result.

That is not required but it helps me with my CRS...lol

harleyman
December 29th, 2009, 10:17
Great stuff gigabyte...Many thanks....:applause:

Lionheart
December 29th, 2009, 10:56
Thanks Mike and Pied,

So, I do not need to 'shuffle' new DAT/CAT files into the pile starting from position 8? I can add them at the top?

I'll move my VC cockpits then into the deck so I can use the 'activate mods' section for testing spacecraft.

So.. People add sectors too????? Dang..

Mike,

I see you have eight installations of various forms of X3......

Goodness man. You are fully addicted. I salute you!

:d

Bill

Lionheart
December 29th, 2009, 10:57
Well I will just follow your lead...

Does this mean the Lionheart Creations will make and sell cool ships for us too????

YEA...i will buy them...

Nah.. I dont think people do payware for X3. It would be nice to create some things for it though. Most likely freeware. They arent as sophisticated as airplanes in FS, especially FSX.

Bill

harleyman
December 29th, 2009, 14:53
Nah.. I dont think people do payware for X3. It would be nice to create some things for it though. Most likely freeware. They arent as sophisticated as airplanes in FS, especially FSX.

Bill

Then you need a tip jar.....LOL Like bananna Bob has......Heck, I never use his skins and tip him on ocassion just cause I like him...:bump:

pied
December 29th, 2009, 15:32
Bill,

I'm not certain that you can add them 'at the top', I think that the Apricot mapping Service mod had info on the proper order....

PIED

Lionheart
December 29th, 2009, 16:03
Bill,

I'm not certain that you can add them 'at the top', I think that the Apricot mapping Service mod had info on the proper order....

PIED

Roger that. Thanks.

Then you need a tip jar.....LOL Like bananna Bob has......Heck, I never use his skins and tip him on ocassion just cause I like him...

HarleyMan

lol... Roger that HM.

Some bread and fuel money. :d

gigabyte
December 29th, 2009, 16:17
So.. People add sectors too????? Dang..

Mike,

I see you have eight installations of various forms of X3......

Goodness man. You are fully addicted. I salute you!

:d
Bill

Bill you mean you have not tried the Galaxy editor yet...lol Yes there are plenty of add on sectors in some of the Mods, Terran Conflict and all of the Terran Sectors were actually created by a fan in the Xtended Mod for X3 Reunion. If I am not mistaken they added 60+ new sectors in that Mod and Ergosoft used that as the basis for Terran Conflict and the updated game.

I actually have 12 X3 Folders, the other four are on my e:Drive and are mods that I have not finished tweaking yet. I really only play two at the moment Reunion with the Xtended Mod, and Terran Conflict with the AMS 2.11, the rest I have set-up so I can mess with them for that review thread I started, however Xmas and the Day Old Mashed Potatos & Gravy feast got in the way of that. I am hoping to get back at the thread on the weekend, we are off to visit the folks tomorrow so I am grounded for a few days, provided the weather holds out that is we got another blast of white CRAP last night and it fell to -29 today so I may not be going anywhere.

Live Long & Prosper...