PDA

View Full Version : This can't be good!!

falcon409
December 28th, 2009, 17:43
I don't know where this came from, and as much work as I'm doing with repaints, panel bitmap revamps and scenery design, it could be related to any of them or none of them.

I think this just started a few days ago. I noticed this evening, while working on Fort Langley, that when I went to overhead view all ground textures disappeared. The trees were still there, but the ground was gone (white). Then, I went to fly Tim's new AN-32 and none of the cockpit switches were usable, then when I switched to a different airplane, I got what you see in the screens below. . .the click spots don't match the item. I have to search the space below each item until I get a tooltip that tells me I'm over the correct spot. In the second cockpit shot, my cursor was over the HSI in order to reset the Altitude and the exterior shots show even another problem.

I don't know that these two are related. . .but with my luck, they are and it won't be anything simple, lol.:isadizzy:

Roger
December 29th, 2009, 01:42
Wish I knew what caused this. All I can suggest is let FsX create a new cfg and see if that helps.

falcon409
December 29th, 2009, 01:47
Apparently no one else thought this was good thing either, lol. No response.

I have no idea how this could be interrelated, but I have found that from time to time UTX goes off and does it's own thing and this seems to be one of those times. I was working around Astoria, Or. and when I pulled back in the overhead view I had large blocks of land texture attached to the left coastline, lol. I turned off UTX and the anomalies with the aircraft went away as did the extra land masses.

I dislike starting over from scratch with FSX, mainly because nothing is written down. When I change things, or add stuff to the sim, I just do it. . .no paper trail at all. However, I think what is really needed here is a complete reinstall of the sim, which I will continue to resist until there's no other choice. lol.

Note: Well dang. . .Roger got one in while I was typing, lol, morning Roger!!

Roger
December 29th, 2009, 02:03
A reinstall of UTX might be all that's required Ed. I got some weird results a while back and a fresh UTX did the job. Also there is always the repair option using the FsX disks. Anyway I'd try a new cfg first and see if that helps,

Cheers,

Roger.

Lionheart
December 29th, 2009, 02:20
If its effecting your switches in the VC which are hard coded, and scenery isnt showing up, then either its memory, or yes, FSX has thrown its hyper wobbly.... (I think its designed to throw the HW every 6 months.. not sure).

Did you reboot first to see if that could be the issue? A fresh computer reboot restores, clears out, and cleans the Ram.

EDIT: Also temps can do this. If your GC and Ram sticks are cooking (and CPU), especially from dust or a failed fan, you will start to get this, then crashing..

As for paper trails, how about getting the FSX config just as you like it (when its running right) and then click on the FSX config file, hold down the Control key and drag a copy out and rename it FSX.cfgBACKUP and that way, when it goes South, you have a backup. Again, copy the backup and use that copy of the copy, so that you maintain a copy for emergency purposes at all times.

I do this with Gmax.. alot....

Bill

falcon409
December 29th, 2009, 03:18
If its effecting your switches in the VC which are hard coded, and scenery isnt showing up, then either its memory, or yes, FSX has thrown its hyper wobbly.... (I think its designed to throw the HW every 6 months.. not sure).
Bill
Speaking of which (memory), I'm running Win7, 8gig of Ram, an NVidia 9600GT w/512RAM and the sim is constantly refreshing the screen during flights (gives me the message that I get when I install a new scenery from inside the sim). I can't give the exact wording but you probably know what I'm referring to. I realize that FSX isn't using all 8 gig, but I would think that whatever amount it's allotted would be enough to keep it from constantly refreshing.

Dangerous Beans
December 29th, 2009, 05:18
Speaking of which (memory), I'm running Win7, 8gig of Ram, an NVidia 9600GT w/512RAM and the sim is constantly refreshing the screen during flights (gives me the message that I get when I install a new scenery from inside the sim). I can't give the exact wording but you probably know what I'm referring to. I realize that FSX isn't using all 8 gig, but I would think that whatever amount it's allotted would be enough to keep it from constantly refreshing.

Are you using FSUIPC and have the box ticked to keep the clock synced (cant think of the exact name atm).
I used to get that constant refreshing with the above ticked.

jmig
December 29th, 2009, 05:27
You are right, this can't be good. I have never heard of FSX refreshing during flight before. That coupled with all the other weird, unusual things happening makes me believe that you will be doing a reinstall before the year is over.

Sorry, my friend. Sometimes FSX sucks! I totaly used up all my re-installs with FSX. MS wanted me to call for premission to re-install again. ^%$@MSFkUm!

Dain Arns
December 29th, 2009, 06:32
Last reinstall was the result of the "No Water' bug I couldn't resolve using all of the recommended fixes. (Needed to re-install SDK anyway)
Right now, FSX has this neat little bug for me sometimes after loading up in fullscreen, all I get is black. (Not black screen of death).

If I hit escape, then resume flight, or go to windowed screen and back to fullscreen, I get the picture back.
Heh. maybe try that. :icon_lol:

Bjoern
December 29th, 2009, 06:42
Try a new .cfg begfore reinstalling though.

Dain, FSX's size-switching algorithm is extremely quirky. If you want to safely minimize FSX, use ALT+ENTER to go into windowed mode and then minimize it.
Otherwise you'll have to do it with the Task Manager and "Bring To Front".

falcon409
December 29th, 2009, 07:03
Are you using FSUIPC and have the box ticked to keep the clock synced (cant think of the exact name atm).
I used to get that constant refreshing with the above ticked.
"Bingo". . . .that was it DB. Unticked that box and flew for about 35 minutes without a single refresh (which would normally happen about every 5 minutes or so).:salute::salute:

Dain Arns
December 29th, 2009, 07:19
Dain, FSX's size-switching algorithm is extremely quirky. If you want to safely minimize FSX, use ALT+ENTER to go into windowed mode and then minimize it.
Otherwise you'll have to do it with the Task Manager and "Bring To Front".

I just use the 'resume flight fix'. Really only seems to happen during some Missions too.

"Bingo". . . .that was it DB. Unticked that box and flew for about 35 minutes without a single refresh (which would normally happen about every 5 minutes or so).:salute::salute:

Glad you found the fix, Ed. :applause:

Bjoern
December 29th, 2009, 07:29
'resume flight fix'

Pause with ESCAPE and minimize?

Dain Arns
December 29th, 2009, 07:32
Pause with ESCAPE and minimize?

No, as I said, hitting escape, then resuming the flight fixes my issue with FSX.
It's occasional and not worth exploring any further.

cvearl
December 29th, 2009, 08:44
How does one "rebuild" the FSX cfg file?

I have had issues in the past where I went into Options and loaded the Victoria+ cfg file while in flight and from then on no matter what I did I would have a stutter fest (worst stutters I can imagine) and resorted to a full on removal and reinstall of everything. Twice I have been through that.

Would this "rebuild" have been the key? I have FSX Gold, UTX Canada, REX2 and Victoria+ and Tongass X.

PS - I hope Falcon gets his computer back in the air!

Charles.

falcon409
December 29th, 2009, 10:22
How does one "rebuild" the FSX cfg file?. . . . .
Charles.
Charles, locate your FSX.cfg file (mine is C:\Users\myname\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX) (note: under tools-folder options. . .make sure "view hidden files" is checked), cut and paste it to your desktop (or at least somewhere outside the FSX file folder), restart FSX and it will automatically build a basic cfg file again.

Keeping the original will help you build in some of your original settings (that had nothing to do with the problem) like all your joystick assignments, etc.

cvearl
December 29th, 2009, 10:24
Charles, locate your FSX.cfg file (mine is C:\Users\myname\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX) (note: under tools-folder options. . .make sure "view hidden files" is checked), cut and paste it to your desktop (or at least somewhere outside the FSX file folder), restart FSX and it will automatically build a basic cfg file again.

Keeping the original will help you build in some of your original settings (that had nothing to do with the problem) like all your joystick assignments, etc.

Ahh and then I am guessing a "repair" of Victoria+ and Tongass and UTX Canada would be next in line at that point.

Charles.

spotlope
December 29th, 2009, 10:46
You shouldn't have to repair your scenery add-ons when you rebuild your fsx.cfg, Charles. The entries that the repair option fixes are in the terrain.cfg file, not fsx.cfg.

cvearl
December 29th, 2009, 14:26
You shouldn't have to repair your scenery add-ons when you rebuild your fsx.cfg, Charles. The entries that the repair option fixes are in the terrain.cfg file, not fsx.cfg.

Thanks so much for the response. :)

If I get smashed by something in the future, I will now know what to do.

I never have figured out why "loading" Vcitoria.cfg would suddenly kill my smoothness in FSX. I mean wow. I always enjoy 30fps locked with vsync except some of the complex airports like Vic Intl fly by. But load that file? Now it's stutterfest city and a full on reinstall was the only solution I could find. Twice in a row I repeated this problem. I will not load that cfg ever again but if something else does it, this might be the solution. :)

Charles.