PDA

View Full Version : Pentax K-x?

djscoo
December 28th, 2009, 12:27
I admit that I am guilty of being a brand snob... I was started off on Rebel Xs's in high school so I always gravitated towards the Canon cameras. Recently I've been hearing a lot of really good stuff about the Pentax K-x. It's about 200 bucks cheaper than the T1i which was my other choice, and it has video, which was the major draw of the T1i. Anyone had any hands on experience with the k-x?

Panther_99FS
December 28th, 2009, 13:25
RedRiver6 has a Pentax (not that model) but he likes it....

Moparmike
December 28th, 2009, 14:17
I've been eyeballing it as a replacement for my *istDL but haven't actually handled one in person yet.

The specs look very tempting and I'm still a hold-out that wants an AA powered camera for those times that I disappear out into nowhere near an outlet to recharge a battery pack.
As the new "entry-level" Pentax DSLR (it replaced the K2000), I think it's got pretty good features for the pricetag.

I'm still a Pentax brand-snob mainly because they haven't abandoned their old mount yet and I can still use all my old glass.

JorisVandenBerghe
December 29th, 2009, 04:25
Over at Dpreview there is a review up. Might be handy ? I agree, it's a potent camera. Great value for money, just like the recently introduced Sony A550/500, it seems like the manufacturers know they have to come up with serious specifications if they want to sell anything...

Do know that Dpreview is not always that reliable as source. They complained on the A550's optical viewfinder, saying it was too cramped etc, while it's only marginally smaller that the Eos 500D/Rebel T1i :mixedsmi:.

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0912/09122301pentaxkxreview.asp

The only 'bad' thing I heard about Pentax is that the autofocus seems a little tad slower than other brands, but most DSLRs are more than fast enough for most people...much depends on the lens, of course.

Wish Sony had more high-quality, fast and weather-resistant (called 'WR' at Pentax) prime lenses, like Pentax...That's something I really need, a decent, fast prime.

Cazzie
December 29th, 2009, 05:03
I have an istDL also and got it primarily to use the accessory lens I had for my two Pentax 35-mm cameras.

I would like something smaller, but I too like the AA lithium batteries versus rechargeable batteries. I can carry plenty AA batteries in the outback, but I cannot find a power outlet. This is a good featurte in the K-x.

That's a good review, took some time.

Caz

Moparmike
December 29th, 2009, 05:25
The only 'bad' thing I heard about Pentax is that the autofocus seems a little tad slower than other brands, but most DSLRs are more than fast enough for most people...much depends on the lens, of course.

Yup, the slow AF has been a strike against Pentax for a long time...even back to the last 35mm SLRs. You are correct in that a lot of it depends on the lens used.
Another thing that really kills AF performance (and also affects metering) in the Pentax is the split-prism focus screen that many Pentaxians install in their cameras.
I love a good focus screen as a manual focus assist...I got spoiled to it on my old K1000SE and had to buy one for my DL.
But I also do a lot of low-light shooting so I went back to the original focus screen.

Using AF.C mode instead of AF.S mode helps with focus speed...but it also is much harder on the batteries too.

Moparmike
December 29th, 2009, 05:32
I have an istDL also and got it primarily to use the accessory lens I had for my two Pentax 35-mm cameras.

I would like something smaller, but I too like the AA lithium batteries versus rechargeable batteries. I can carry plenty AA batteries in the outback, but I cannot find a power outlet. This is a good featurte in the K-x.

That's a good review, took some time.

Caz

I still prefer NiMH rechargeable AAs (white label Kodak or Sanyo Eneloop) but I have ran a few sets of Lithiums through my DL too. Both work just fine for me.
I normally carry 4 sets of NiMH rechargeable batteries in my bag at all times (2 for the camera and 2 for the flash)... If I'm out in boonie-land, I'm not using the flash much anyway so I'll have 3 or all 4 sets available for the camera. Has been more than enough for week-long outings.

Plus...it's not ideal but I can always run just plain old alkaline AAs if in a real pinch.

Henry
December 29th, 2009, 05:56
Pentax have always been a great Company
over the years i have sold thousands of them
they do not have the hype of cannon and Nikon
and more bang for the buck
and there are plenty of old lenses out there
actually you can still put screw mount lenses on them
not as i would actually do mind you but its possible
RR6 was shooting a pentax film camera
made life easier for him when he switched
H

Cazzie
December 29th, 2009, 12:50
I still prefer NiMH rechargeable AAs (white label Kodak or Sanyo Eneloop) but I have ran a few sets of Lithiums through my DL too. Both work just fine for me.
I normally carry 4 sets of NiMH rechargeable batteries in my bag at all times (2 for the camera and 2 for the flash)... If I'm out in boonie-land, I'm not using the flash much anyway so I'll have 3 or all 4 sets available for the camera. Has been more than enough for week-long outings.

Plus...it's not ideal but I can always run just plain old alkaline AAs if in a real pinch.

Alkaline AAs just don't cut it, they last maybe an hour in real time. The Lithium batteries last months, but they give out all at once mike rechargables, you'd better have an extra set.

Caz

Moparmike
December 29th, 2009, 14:11
Alkaline AAs just don't cut it, they last maybe an hour in real time. The Lithium batteries last months, but they give out all at once mike rechargables, you'd better have an extra set.

Caz

Don't "chimp" so much Caz! :d
Regular Alks will give you 3 or 4 hours out of a set if you don't use the LCD a lot. Longer if you MF.
I know they're a short lifespan in a camera. This is just for emergency use, like when you're traveling through a small town of say 10-20 people in Central Montana that's only got one gas station...and you realize that you forgot to unload the chargers and put the spares in your camera bag! DOH!
No lithiums in sight for miles.
(Been there, done that! :banghead: )

Moparmike
December 29th, 2009, 14:19
Pentax have always been a great Company
over the years i have sold thousands of them
they do not have the hype of cannon and Nikon
and more bang for the buck
and there are plenty of old lenses out there
actually you can still put screw mount lenses on them
not as i would actually do mind you but its possible
RR6 was shooting a pentax film camera
made life easier for him when he switched
H

You're the one that sold me on going Pentax digital too H.
I was going to go with a K10d until I found my DL used but like new in a pawn shop.
And yes, the M2 screw mounts work on them too with an adapter.
Ya gotta stop-down meter every shot like any non-A lens, but for slow shooting that's just fine.

BTW, pawn shops are still good places to find old glass too. Cheaper than old glass on eBay and you never know what you'll find. Like a 50mm/F1.7 for $25....I still haven't scored my "holy grail" 50mm/f1.2 yet though.

Panther_99FS
December 30th, 2009, 08:19
http://www.flickr.com/groups/1266349@N25/
http://www.flickr.com/groups/kx/

djscoo
December 30th, 2009, 16:00
Thanks guys! I did a little looking and am thoroughly impressed with the k-x, but then I found a factory-refurb T1i w/ spare battery, 4gig memory card and some other goodies for the same price as a new k-x kit. I think I'm going to go with the Canon... :ernae:

JorisVandenBerghe
December 30th, 2009, 23:25
I always wonder why nobody ever dares to try something else than Canon or Nikon...in some way, most people always seem to go back to the acclaimed brands.

I have always used Sony and I'm perfectly happy with it.

*Slightly off-topic.

Cratermaker
December 31st, 2009, 03:12
I always wonder why nobody ever dares to try something else than Canon or Nikon...in some way, most people always seem to go back to the acclaimed brands.

*Slightly off-topic.
I would say that a lot of people go with what their friends/family already have. It sure can be convenient when you can borrow compatible accessories or need to ask questions.

I can't speak to Sony cameras, but their other non A/V stuff is a bit weird and one-off in the USA. (memory stick anyone? Mini-disc?) In a limited sample, everyone I know has bad luck with Sony products outside their TVs, amps, DVD players: the usual home A/V products. I'm sure it's different other places. Your mileage may vary.

JorisVandenBerghe
December 31st, 2009, 05:01
Perhaps, perhaps...

I'm 18 now - 19 in February - and I have bought/used (our tv for instance) quite a lot of them, from hifi stuff (still have one at my room which still works perfectly) over DSLR's, point & shoots, to high-end telephoto lenses. No problems.

As you say, it would be a bit funny to buy an DSLR from Canon if your nephew for example has a Nikon and a whole range of lenses.

Bought a HX1 for dad yesterday. He's going to be very happy with it, I think. Tilting screen, decent stabilisation, good performing lens - no match for a DSLR or (Micro) 4/3 camera of course, but that's impossible for that price -
It uses as you say that tiny Memory Stick thingy.

I prefer CF-cards myself over SD or MS because I always loose the latter, they're too small for my liking :kilroy:.

Well, everyone makes a choice.

Panther_99FS
January 1st, 2010, 08:50

*Slightly off-topic.

To add to what Cratermaker stated,
Quite a lot of folks had Canon or Nikon 35mm prior to DSLRs.......

Panther_99FS
January 1st, 2010, 09:00

*Slightly off-topic.

However,
Why not take a walk on the "wild side" & get one of these....:d

--> http://www.sigma-sd14.com/
--> http://www.samsungimaging.com/learn/product/productDetailView.do?forward=feature&prdCtgSeq=6&langPrdSeq=4234

Cazzie
January 1st, 2010, 10:34
Some of us might afford the Samsung in our lifetime, but that Sigma is strictly for people with more money than good taste. It is people like this that should have their head's lopped like in France during their revolution.

Caz

Panther_99FS
January 1st, 2010, 11:03
Some of us might afford the Samsung in our lifetime,
Caz

How about this one then :ques:
--> http://www.engadget.com/2009/12/21/first-shots-of-samsungs-nx10-hybrid-dslr-surface/

Moparmike
January 1st, 2010, 14:17
However,
Why not take a walk on the "wild side" & get one of these....:d

--> http://www.sigma-sd14.com/
--> http://www.samsungimaging.com/learn/product/productDetailView.do?forward=feature&prdCtgSeq=6&langPrdSeq=4234

P, You do know the GX-20 is just a Pentax K20D with a different name on the outside right? :kilroy:
Good camera, just has a heck of a pricetag and they are a lot bigger and heavier than I care for in a walkaround camera.

As for their new NX10...until there's a good selection of glass available for it, it's not worth considering. It's an all new mount and will take some market time to see if the aftermarket lens manufacturers (Sigma, Tamron, etc) will develop glass for the new mount or if users will be limited to just a few Samsung lenses.
But then again....both Canon and Nikon went through the "new-mount" transition phase too.

Panther_99FS
January 1st, 2010, 17:22
P, You do know the GX-20 is just a Pentax K20D with a different name on the outside right? :kilroy:

Or....Is the Pentax K20D just a GX-20 :ques:

Moparmike
January 2nd, 2010, 05:05
Erm....yes to both. :d

Pentax K-mount, Pentax engineered camera body.
Samsung electronics and sensor...but there are a couple other big name competitors that are using the exact same sensor too.

Samsung is an electronic technology provider...big electronics brand-name but fairly new on the photography scene. Pentax has been in the camera business for years...but (like all the big name Camera makers) is new to the whole electronics scene.
The Pentax/Samsung partnership is kinda unique. They kinda cross into each other's territory more as a marketing ploy. Someone familiar with Samsung electronics might be more inclined to buy a Samsung camera than a Pentax. Someone familiar with Pentax cameras will be more likely to stick with that brand, but still get the benefits of Samsung's electronic experience. Coming from both directions...it boils down to getting a larger customer-base for their products. Hopefully instead of those customers buying from the competition.
It's kinda like buying a Pontiac Grand Am or an Olds Alero...different badge on the outside but the same thing under the sheetmetal. Whichever one you buy, GM still wins.

Now that NX10 abortion really kinda scares me as the direction that Pentax will head as well. Either the Pentax name might disappear or they'll do the same mount system switch that the other guys have done.
Whichever way it goes, if I stick with that family I'm gonna need to be in the market for a whole new set of lenses.

JorisVandenBerghe
January 2nd, 2010, 05:17
The same happens with Nikon and Sony. Lots of Nikon's DSLR sensors (like the one in the D90, same as the A500's sensor, or the 24 MP full-frame sensor of the D3X and A850/900) are made by Sony...

In the end, all these companies will have to work together in order to survive...

Panther_99FS
January 6th, 2010, 20:56
The specs look very tempting and I'm still a hold-out that wants an AA powered camera for those times that I disappear out into nowhere near an outlet to recharge a battery pack.

The K-X can use AA batteries...
"AA Batteries
Capture up to 1900 shots with universally available, easy-to-find AA lithium batteries (also compatible with AA NiMH rechargeable and alkaline batteries)."

Cazzie
January 7th, 2010, 04:50
"AA Batteries
Capture up to 1900 shots with universally available, easy-to-find AA lithium batteries (also compatible with AA NiMH rechargeable and alkaline batteries)."

Actually, I prefer the lithium batteries Panther, even though they cost twice as much. I found in my old Nikon CoolPix that Lithium batteries would last nearly four months and all of you know I do my fair share of photography. Cold weather doesn't effect them as badly as alkaline (forget those) or NiCad/NiMH. I use them in my Pentax istDL and battery life is about the same. One should always have an extra set, however, because it has been my experience that Lithium batteries give out all at once, there is no Low Battery warning.

Caz

Moparmike
January 7th, 2010, 06:10
"AA Batteries

Yup, that's one reason why I've been eyeballing the K-x as much as I have been. Same reason I got my DL. Sure, I'd love a K-7 (or even a K-20d) but I dislike proprietary battery packs and those two are both a bit bigger than what I want as a carry-around camera.
Now I just need to convince myself that I need to drop $500 on a new body! LOL

Actually, I prefer the lithium batteries Panther, even though they cost twice as much. I found in my old Nikon CoolPix that Lithium batteries would last nearly four months and all of you know I do my fair share of photography. Cold weather doesn't effect them as badly as alkaline (forget those) or NiCad/NiMH. I use them in my Pentax istDL and battery life is about the same. One should always have an extra set, however, because it has been my experience that Lithium batteries give out all at once, there is no Low Battery warning.
Caz

Yup, When lithiums poop out they do it with little warning. So, as with all batteries...carry a spare set.
I've got a nice compliment of the 'precharged' NiMH batteries that don't drain down much at all when charged but not used for a while (unlike the regular NiMHs). They work just fine for me, but like Caz I do like lithiums for winter.

BTW, cold weather tip for NiMH...
I keep my spare batteries in a pant pocket under my coveralls while out in the cold. Keeps em warm and if the set in the camera gets weak I just swap em with the warm set and let the cold ones warm up a while.

djscoo
January 7th, 2010, 14:06
"AA Batteries

Being universally available is a good thing, but the K-x has in-camera IS, Autofocus, and live view, all of which eat battery life. Supposedly you can get about 3.5-4 hours off each battery change.

Moparmike
January 8th, 2010, 05:06
Being universally available is a good thing, but the K-x has in-camera IS, Autofocus, and live view, all of which eat battery life. Supposedly you can get about 3.5-4 hours off each battery change.

Only if ya use em. :d

IS is nice and doesn't affect battery life too bad on the Pentaxes. Autofocus isn't bad if you use AF-S mode...if you run AF-C (continuous focus mode) it eats batteries rather quickly.
Live View? That's about like excessive chimping (which is a syndrome all by itself :kilroy:). Any time the LCD is powered up you're sucking the batteries down big time. Best bet, treat your camera like a film camera and forget the LCD is even there except when fiddling with the menu.

(Yes...I'm old school.)

Rant mode...
I can't speak for everyone, but I really don't understand the want for live view on a DSLR (or vid-capture for that matter). I can't stand using the LCD for a viewfinder on the little PnS camera...holding the camera out at arms length where you need to use IS instead of planting the camera up to your face where it's inherently more stable (and for many situations you can also keep the IS turned off too :)).
I love watching the average PnS user checking out DSLRs. Trying to figure out how to take a shot holding the thing out like it's a little pocket camera...
I'm sorry, maybe I'm just mean! :icon_twi:

JorisVandenBerghe
January 8th, 2010, 05:26
*A little bit* off-topic, but LV is handy when you want to photograph over the heads of an audience for instance - at least, assuming you have a tilting screen (D5000, A300/350/330/380/500/550) and some sort of fast live view. Not the stuff you see on Canon and Nikon. As far as I know Sony's the only major brand to have this in a DSLR.

And for lower angles, like a close-up of our cat. Animals, plants, etc benefit of a lower angle. Same remark, not that handy without a tilting screen and fast LV.

If there's one thing you should try when in a camera store, is the difference in speed. There's a significant difference in the speed you see when using LV on a Canikon camera or a Sony - the latter uses a double sensor, the second one being used only for LV, hence the fast (as fast as when using the viewfinder) LV.

Agree about the video stuff. Heck, even the 7D, Canon's APS-C (read: crop camera) flagship, can't film with AF. Nikon's D300S retains it's AF, but with contrast-detection, so slow.

If there's anyone willing to continue this little discussion, we can always start a thread about it - 'Live View and filming on a DSLR - do you like it or not ?' ;).