PDA

View Full Version : Do you like WWII? then you'd better sit down for this..

Wittpilot
December 28th, 2009, 06:56
I wish I was sitting down when I read this.... I fainted and fell on a pile of the kids' new legos...

Regarding the Thunder Over Michigan show this summer in MI..

"We are very excited to announce, Thunder over Michigan 2010 will feature The Worlds Largest WWII Air & Ground Battle Reenactment. The battle will kick off with a Me-109 and Me-262 in formation, buzzing multiple German flak gun positions as their crews look on. Once the German fighters depart, the flak crews scramble to their guns as a formation of B-17s appear on their way to a distant target. A lone B-24 approaches pursued by the Me-262, as the Me-109 attempts to jump the B-17 formation in the distance. Once it looks like the Germans control the battle, multiple P-51s arrive to engage the Me-109 and Me-262 as American ground units arrive to engage the flak crews and other German ground units."

cheezyflier
December 28th, 2009, 08:33
:applause:WOW!!! man, i sure wish i could go see something like that! maybe we should all pitch in and send panther. that way he could use his new camera skills to take alot of awesome pics for us. :applause:

MCDesigns
December 28th, 2009, 12:44
Sounds really sweet! When is this, I've been looking for ideas for this years vacation, LOL.

Wittpilot
December 28th, 2009, 13:18
Michael,
Look here...

Has an early aircraft list as well...

http://warbirdinformationexchange.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=32196

MCDesigns
December 28th, 2009, 16:45
Thanks Witt! between this and the CAF Airsho in Oct , looks to be a fun fall next year.

p14u2nv
December 28th, 2009, 17:11
After reviewing the aircraft that will attending I saw the list and noticed something;

B-17G "Yankee Lady"
B-17G "Nine O Nine"
B-17G "Memphis Belle" (movie)
B-17G "Desert Rat" (parts)
B-17G "Champaign Lady" (parts)

Those "parts" from the B-17G's...does this mean the 109 and the 262 are firing live rounds for a change?

Suddenly "As Real As It Gets" takes on a totally new meaning...!

p.s. I'd rather see 109 and 262 "parts" myself.

:USA-flag:

Wittpilot
December 28th, 2009, 18:23
LOL.... .

I believe we will be taking up some Champaign Lady parts that have already been built... i.e... Our seat if it ever nears completion and someone mentioned dragging up the finished tail, although I think that would be a bit much, even though it would be neat to take...

They even mentioned in that thread they are working on an FW-190 from here in the states to go...

tigisfat
December 28th, 2009, 19:01
I know you don't mean it like that, but your choice of words that included "do you like WWII" were a little odd.:kilroy:

Wittpilot
December 28th, 2009, 19:04
That's okay.. I think you're a little odd yourself.....:ernae:

TomSteber
December 29th, 2009, 03:40
Without trying to sound like a complete idiot here, exactly where in Michigan is this at?

Dain Arns
December 29th, 2009, 06:55
Without trying to sound like a complete idiot here, exactly where in Michigan is this at?

That's okay, I didn't either. :icon_lol:

http://www.yankeeairmuseum.org/airshow/

It's outside of Detroit in Ypsilanti, MI.
I'm seriously thinking about it, Witt. I-29 to I-90, I-90 to Chicago, I-94 to Ypsilanti.

<iframe marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" src="http://maps.google.com/maps?ie=UTF8&t=h&ll=42.233474,-83.563042&spn=0.061008,0.109863&z=13&output=embed" width="640" frameborder="0" height="480" scrolling="no"></iframe>
<small>View Larger Map (http://maps.google.com/maps?ie=UTF8&t=h&ll=42.233474,-83.563042&spn=0.061008,0.109863&z=13&source=embed)</small>

Wittpilot
December 29th, 2009, 06:59
Tom, there are no stupid questions, only stupid answers....

The air show is located at Willow Run Airport... It is the location of the former Ford plant that produced B-24's in 'Dubya Dubya Two...'....

It is just a few miles West of Detroit in the town of Ypsilanti right on I-94... Looks to be about 7 1/2 hours from Green Bay....

Wittpilot
December 29th, 2009, 07:01
Ooops, Sorry Dain, We must have been typing that at the same time....

Wittpilot
December 29th, 2009, 07:07
If I can make a few early suggestions....

Don't try to get a hotel in Belleville (the town directly to the east of the airport which is immediately close to the airport) They are pretty much all booked up and ridicously priced now... They shoved the price waaaay up for that weekend... One year we stayed in Ann Arbor and that wasn't too bad... Get to the show early... This is an air show that is set up differently every year... so it is a bit difficult to plan ahead... The nice thing is you pay in your car, so you can leave the showline and go to your car for some drinks you've brought, or a bite to eat, and you don't have to get stamped or anything...

I always plan for weather... so if you come from out of town, I just stay Saturday night... that way if its a washout Saturday when you get there, you can do something else, stay the nlight, and go Sunday...

The Henry Ford Museum is not far away, that is pretty neat and can make for a mini-vacation if you wanted to do both!

For those of you coming from the West, you could even make a stop at the Kalamazoo Air Zoo.. .Great museum, and I haven't been there since they revamped it, but it sounds like they have made great improvements...

I will have to think of some more tips......that's all i've got for now...