PDA

View Full Version : Movie; District 9

Lionheart
December 27th, 2009, 23:08
Man....

Speechless..

I just watched District 9 and I dont know what to say.

Well.. Impressed. I was impressed. Pretty rough. If you have a weak stomach, do not watch it.

Bill

stiz
December 28th, 2009, 00:02
you've only just seen it?? :173go1: :icon_lol:

Lionheart
December 28th, 2009, 00:18
Bad, huh.. Its like I live under a large rock..

Awesome special effects...

Quixoticish
December 28th, 2009, 00:56
I agree, it's an absolutely incredible film, and were it not for Watchmen and Moon it would probably be the best film of the year for me.

I don't know about the cinemas where you all saw it, but the two times I did view it publicly I was surprised by the amount of people who didn't see the incredibly obvious allegory and were laughing at wholly inappropriate moments. It made me rather uncomfortable.

kilo delta
December 28th, 2009, 07:02
A very good film with an original twist....I'm looking forward to District 9 II: the sequel :bump:

Dirtman
December 28th, 2009, 07:21
Saw the flick when it first came out....

These are my opinions only. I am not a movie critic, But I've been a sci-fi-aholic since I was 5 years old.

GREAT special effects,

Very Good concept and storyline,

Absolutely terrible: acting, dialogue (due to heavy South African accents) & cinematography.

I give it a a solid: 5 out of 10

I imagine the cost of the special effects was 95% of the budget ... and it shows.

If made in Hollywood with a few well known actors; could have made this a blockbuster hit .... at 5 to 10 times the budget!

It's not a bad movie ... just not a great one.

stiz
December 28th, 2009, 07:31
Absolutely terrible: acting, dialogue (due to heavy South African accents) & cinematography

have to say i disagree, i quite like movies which have the guts to NOT hire the hollywood lot, it makes the film stand out, i actually think the actors where better than most of the hollywood lot because they didnt have an ego. As for the accents thats just a matter of preference.
Makes a nice change to have a movie which doesnt have a marine or ex army grunt whos beating themselfs up over some bad thing they saw, to be reinlisted/required to go out and save the world whilst haveing a girl show them there not really a bad person afterall :kilroy:

cheezyflier
December 28th, 2009, 08:37
tbo, when i saw it, the first thought in my mind was how much bill would probably like it.

i liked it myself, although i have a different opinion than most people as to what social comment the film was making. to me, that was the highlight of the movie. the message was very skillfully delivered. it was not subtle at all, and yet, it wasn't judgemental or overdone. (imo, ymmv)

GT182
December 28th, 2009, 08:41
"District 9", that's the one DVD I have got to get. Glad to hear you say it's good Bill. :applause:

tigisfat
December 28th, 2009, 10:54
............and were it not for Watchmen and Moon it would probably be the best film of the year for me.......

ummm....By moon, do you mean 'new moon'? (snickers) :173go1:

Moses03
December 28th, 2009, 12:46
Saw D9 when it was released. Thought it was a pretty powerful movie. Not something you would watch over and over but it will stick in your mind.

Moses

Lionheart
December 28th, 2009, 14:05
Saw D9 when it was released. Thought it was a pretty powerful movie. Not something you would watch over and over but it will stick in your mind.

Moses

It is really stuck in mine. As soon as I have settled down from having watched it the first time, I will see it again. I downloaded it through iTunes, $15.00 (they were out at Wallyworld).

It is really moving, and how they sneak in the various details bits, the high technology screens, the way the aliens are so real looking and yet so real looking (their waist near their torso is as wide as a persons leg, and they are of an insect structure, with all these little arm things, around their mouths and 2 on their stomachs, etc), and they look totally real. (Cool eyes as well, like a giant tigers' eyes).

The South Africans call them 'prauns' as in Shrimp (bugs), and they are very mistreated.

So.... The movie ends, and 'we'll be back in 3 years....'

Should be good.

I agree with stiz. I liked the actors being original and new. I was totally caught up in it. Vickus was a bit nerdy, but did the job well. You would have never expected him to 'grow a spine' in his position and all. He turned a full 180 degree course change..

Bill

Joe P
December 28th, 2009, 15:32
I just bought it on BluRay and watched it last night. I agree that it is an excellent movie, and applaud them for using original (Non-Hollywood) actors. I think the ending is great too, because it's not a "cliffhanger" (Wikus completely turns into a prawn, but is still alive), but leaves room for a continuation/sequel, although it doesn't require it, and doesn't foreshadow it. That starts many different story lines flowing through my head.

Excellent- New Screenwriting/ and Directing talent
Excellent- New Acting talent

Wow, here's a movie where I want to see the sequel! :ernae:

Lionheart
December 28th, 2009, 15:58
Imagine the story being swapped to be humans on a different planet, stuck on their (the aliens) world, unable to leave, being tested and experimented on... Imagine humans in such conditions, being treated like that.

The actions of the main alien in the red jacket really told you what they were at least like originally. He was a good father to his kid, was trying to do things peacefully. He snapped when he saw his friend on that table in the test lab. It must have been his best friend is all I can think.

Good story.. Tough one though.. whew...

Snuffy
December 28th, 2009, 16:01
I'll wait for the HBO edition. :bump:

Gdavis101
December 28th, 2009, 19:20
Good movie, makes you look at prawns in a whole new light though!

mrogers
December 28th, 2009, 19:46
I saw D9 too. Good movie, I agree with Bill and the others about its originality. And set in South Africa of all places, where apartheid originally started.. made me think.
The film does seem to be open-ended in its finish...its possible that there could be a sequel to D9!

Trans_23
December 28th, 2009, 20:17
Just rented in on Blu-Ray and watched it tonight. I almost shut it off after about 10 minutes then it slowly gained my interest. I would call it good but not great. I am not a big sci-fi fan though.

Chacha
December 28th, 2009, 21:01
On my Watch List... :jump:

Lionheart
December 29th, 2009, 00:17
On my Watch List... :jump:

Eli,

There is A LOT of bloody scenes in this movie... If you can watch Alien (the movie) with all the bloodshed, then you can watch this. It gets pretty rough...

Bill

Bjoern
December 29th, 2009, 07:22
Haven't watched the real deal, only this:

ZlgtbEdqVsk

arrowmaker
December 29th, 2009, 07:47
I agree, it's an absolutely incredible film, and were it not for Watchmen and Moon it would probably be the best film of the year for me.

I was thinking exactly the same thing. I enjoyed District 9 but I can't believe that a lot of pundits are considering it a "budget movie" when it cost just under $30m. I hate to imagine what Watchmen cost.

Now Moon, however, really did have a minuscule budget in comparison ($5m) and look how the makers made it look like it cost a whole lot more.

<object width="580" height="360"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/twuScTcDP_Q&hl=en_GB&fs=1&border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/twuScTcDP_Q&hl=en_GB&fs=1&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="580" height="360"></embed></object>

Lionheart
December 29th, 2009, 10:28
I was thinking exactly the same thing. I enjoyed District 9 but I can't believe that a lot of pundits are considering it a "budget movie" when it cost just under $30m. I hate to image what Watchmen cost.

Now Moon, however, really did have a minuscule budget in comparison ($5m) and look how the makers made it look like it cost a whole lot more.

Is that out on DVD yet? That really looks like a great movie. The film sets are brilliant..

Bill

arrowmaker
December 29th, 2009, 13:47
Is that out on DVD yet?

Here you go:

http://www.amazon.com/Moon-Sam-Rockwell/dp/B002T9H2MO/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1262126430&sr=1-2

Like any DVD of a movie you haven't watched yet, it's worth watching a few clips and reading a few reviews first. It's easily one of my favourite movies of 2009 and has pretty much received favourable reviews across the board.

MCDesigns
December 29th, 2009, 17:06
I got a big gift card from Best Buy from my GF for Christmas and one of the movies I got tonight was District 9. What a wild show, with some unexpected twists in the plot. Great CGI also. As for having big names in it making it better, I doubt it. The whole feel of the show totally fit having a B cast. I was thrilled at what happened to the mercenary leader at the end, yeehaa!

Lionheart
December 29th, 2009, 18:00
I was thrilled at what happened to the mercenary leader at the end, yeehaa!

lol.. I didnt know wether to to start laughing and cheering or just vomit, lol.. He had it coming big time. A proper ending for him.

Great movie.

Bill

HighGround22
January 9th, 2010, 15:52
Bad, huh.. Its like I live under a large rock....I know the feeling well!