PDA

View Full Version : facebook

MCDesigns
December 27th, 2009, 16:26
Now I have done it, just got off the phone with the Mom and my sister and they both have facebook accounts and after an hour of going back and forth I decided to set my profile up for my Mom (despite my concerns over this service)
So seeing as I'll have to spend some time on there, was looking for any pointers from advanced users on what I can use it for other than interacting with my family.

Was hoping for a blog kinda deal where I could post my thoughts, but haven't seen anything like that, does it exist? Images, can you post them there and how? Security, any settings I need to be aware of? Seems to be lots of spam, any way to stay clear of it?

I have a feeling I am going to regret this, LOL.

Wittpilot
December 27th, 2009, 16:33
Michael...

-For the blog thing, the simplest thing I can think of is just to post a "Note" ... You would just make that your blog entry.

-Don't add anyone you don't know, and if you're like me, I don't even add half the people that invite me... If I don't really want to interact with you, you don't make the cut...

-Make stuff so only your friends can see it... Facebook has a milliion different settings now, so even I don't know all of them.

-Don't click on people's video links that the post as an "update", these can be viruses.

-Images are pretty easy, they have their own uploader.. .you just have to allow it at the top of your browser when it pops up...

Hope it helps just a little!

-witt

MCDesigns
December 27th, 2009, 16:53
Thanks man, just went and played with it some more. I tried the note deal, but it is limited on the amount of characters, a small amount, hmmmm.
Changed all the settings for friends only. Got the image thing down, was pretty easy once you knew where to look.

Funny thing is, I went back and had a high school buddy of mine contact me, wow, haven't talked to him in forever, that is freaky.

Kofschip
December 28th, 2009, 07:29
See the "December 2009 PCWorld" for "How to protect yuour privacy on Facebook and Twitter.":173go1:

Toastmaker
December 28th, 2009, 08:46
It's not difficult to protect yourself, given all the security features and some common sense.

However, you may be surprised at how many people you know from your present and past you will encounter there ! That can be fun and very worthwhile.

Have fun!

kilo delta
December 28th, 2009, 09:59
I joined up during last Summer.....and have come to detest anything Farmville,Zoo tycoon,Mafia Wars etc!!!:monkies::icon_lol:.
It's neat for connecting with long lost acquaintances,though.:)

Railrunner130
December 28th, 2009, 10:39
I joined a while ago. It's interesting. I avoided the Apps as long as I could. Then I found an Airline Manager game and have been addicted to it. Chickenfoot Airlines - Invest now while you can still afford to. Sorry had to throw the plug in there. A lot of people play Farmville and other games, which you can remove from your news feed by clicking on the notice. It'll ask you to block the person or the application.

:ernae:

kilo delta
December 28th, 2009, 12:01
A lot of people play Farmville and other games, which you can remove from your news feed by clicking on the notice. It'll ask you to block the person or the application.

:ernae:

Cheers...I'm off to do that right now!:icon29::)

Willy
December 28th, 2009, 12:12
Mrs Willy has been hot and heavy on it playing the games. She got me started with farmville to help her out and that's the only reason I mess with that game. I just set it up to where I've only got to mess with for about 10 minutes a day to keep it going and that's it. Other than that, I stay out of the games. Flying is much more fun.

I have connected to some people I knew in High School and some old shipmates that I was glad to catch up with though.

CBris
December 28th, 2009, 13:42
The youngsters in my family use it and it is useful for "Writing on the wall". All I use it for is so that I can let family see the odd photo (so that they don't forget what I look like :icon_lol: )

But I do get invites from the youngsters to see what kind of animal/aeroplane/dog I am, and there's all sorts of challenges I keep getting - but I let em get on with it. Mind you - considering that my mother (76) has a facebook account, well... can't let the old dear be ahead of me, can I?

:icon_lol::icon_lol:

It's useful, but do take with a pinch of salt and make sure your firewall and virus scanners are up to date. Not that I have had any such issues...

Navy Chief
December 28th, 2009, 14:45
Am beginning to think maybe SOH should have a Facebook site.

Whatdya think?

NC

Chacha
December 28th, 2009, 14:53
Am beginning to think maybe SOH should have a Facebook site.

Whatdya think?

NC

Sim-Outhouse on Facebook.... :ernae:

Great Idea.... Good advertising! :running:

N2056
December 28th, 2009, 14:56
I'm good with SOH right here :applause:
I'm a non-face book type :d

Chacha
December 28th, 2009, 15:17
I'm good with SOH right here :applause:
I'm a non-face book type :d

I am not a FB fan either, :isadizzy:

Our company has a corporate account on FB, it is a good advertising device.... and it is free... :jump:

MCDesigns
December 28th, 2009, 15:48
I gotta admit, I was/am anti FB, twitter, myspace, etc, but in one day I have made contact with 8 old friends from high school and one ex girlfriend I lost touch with which is really cool, so I would say there is some merit to it.

Thanks for all the input, it is appreciated (plus my Mom is thrilled, so that's another plus, LOL).

Kiwikat
December 28th, 2009, 16:27
FB bores me to death... everyone at school lives in farmville. Makes me wonder if/when they get any homework done.

One day I'll bring in Sim Farm on floppy disk just to spite them! :monkies:

magoo
December 28th, 2009, 18:06
Some old friends and myself used FB to help setup a highschool reunion. Among other tools, it was complimentry and powerful. After the reunion was done, I couldn't get it out of my life quick enough. Kind of like a cel phone that way.

Wittpilot
December 28th, 2009, 18:24
Hey wait... there is an Outhouse group on Facebook...

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?ref=profile&id=46900459#/group.php?gid=25267150512

harleyman
December 28th, 2009, 19:33
FB has many trojan spiders that crawl about...Keep your antivirus definations updated...

Navy Chief
December 29th, 2009, 03:41
FB has many trojan spiders that crawl about...Keep your antivirus definations updated...

You are very correct, Harley! I just joined the SOH Facebook page. Found a great screenshot there, posted by Paul Pittman, and wanted to share it. Love this shot.

NC

Cazzie
December 29th, 2009, 04:39
I just do not care to get into something like Facebook. My wife and both sons belong to Facebook. A lot of my old friends do. they beg me to sign up. I just do not want one other thing on the internet to take up my time. This time of year, I have time, it is cold, it gets dark quick, and my outdoor recreation drops to a minimum. So I have more time between now and April for indoor activity such as painting skins and maybe, just maybe, going back to my vacant model room.

As far as my old HS friends, we have reunions twice yearly, in April at VIR and September at the Caswell County Hoe-down. We have each other's emails, why bother. I see many of them regularly at HS sport's events too. We're really more family than classmates and more the truth than any of you know. :icon_lol:

Chief, that was either done with the freeware F1View or the payware Active Camera. I have both, but for ease of use, I'd say F1View is one of the best freeware module apps you can get for FS9.

Here's two screens I shot from Herr Fischer's Tante Ju using the F1View module, which enables one to move about with the mouse scroll and Shift and Control keys.

Caz

empeck
December 29th, 2009, 05:08
I've registered on Facebook and Twitter some time ago. I like both. I track few favourite forums on Twitter, and I think it's good tool to share what I'm doing right now. I don't have any followers yet besides my friend from work, but I will post there updates on my aircrafts for FSX, if anyone is interested feel free to follow my Twitter ;) (shameless plug :wiggle: ) http://twitter.com/michalputo.

Snuffy
December 29th, 2009, 07:17
... (plus my Mom is thrilled, so that's another plus, LOL).

And really Michael ... that's the only part that really matters.

Myself I got an account, because a friend asked me to look at something they did, but I couldn't unless I was a member. I've never used it since then.

Hearing all the stuff that goes on with that site though I'm almost afraid to even open the account and go look.