PDA

View Full Version : Best Alaska Scenery

monk1
December 27th, 2009, 13:09
I'm looking for recommendations for good Alaska scenery. Tongass Fjords looks great but I'm looking for something that will cover most or all of the state. It looks like UTX Canada doesn't cover Alaska like it did in FS9, although I understand an Alaska version is on the way. Anyone using GEX or have any recommendations for Alaska state wide scenery?

6297J
December 27th, 2009, 13:17
There isn't an Alaska state wide scenery and even when and if UTX Alaska comes along it isn't really scenery as such although it will make the place look a whole lot better. You'll have to start with Tongass and then keep your fingers crossed that the original authors follow it up with Glacier Bay X and Misty X which will then give you a pretty huge area. I suspect however that there is more money in working with other developers like the fellows at Orbx on even better and more comprehensive products so we might all have to wait for an Orbx Alaska (can you imagine!!).

MCDesigns
December 27th, 2009, 13:17
You really can't do any better than TongassX for size and enhancement. Your only other alternative would be GEX, which is textures only and then get a really good mesh, but you will still have the default shores and mesh issues.

falcon409
December 27th, 2009, 14:26
. . . . .then keep your fingers crossed that the original authors follow it up with Glacier Bay X and Misty X which will then give you a pretty huge area. . . . . . .
It was rumored at one time that Holder might do a Glacier Bay for FSX, but I have never really seen anything in print to confirm that. His Glacier Bay ver 2 for FS9 is incredibly detailed for freeware and a real testament to his talents.

NoNewMessages
December 27th, 2009, 14:54
... although I understand an Alaska version is on the way.

As it has been outlined in the Flight1 forums, Ultimate Alaska will be it's own product. Notice the naming convention? Ultimate Alaska will include the features contained in the Ultimate Terrain X product line, along with it being the first release that will contain the Ultimate Objects product line.

I would suspect there may be more information coming along not too far into the new year. :kilroy:

monk1
December 27th, 2009, 15:54
Thanks for the input. I was hoping that GEX would at least fix the AK textures so it doesn't look like a desert in the summer while waiting for UTX AK to fix shorelines, roads, rivers, etc. I would have purchased Tongass already if I knew it wouldn't cause conflicts with GEX and UTX which I understand work closely with one another to insure that both products can be used without conflict. Glacier Bay was amazing for FS9, I sure would like to see that for FSX, payware or not. Does anyone know if GEX updates the textures most or all of AK? Their web site seems to indicate it's state wide.

cvearl
December 27th, 2009, 16:25
Thanks for the input. I was hoping that GEX would at least fix the AK textures so it doesn't look like a desert in the summer while waiting for UTX AK to fix shorelines, roads, rivers, etc. I would have purchased Tongass already if I knew it wouldn't cause conflicts with GEX and UTX which I understand work closely with one another to insure that both products can be used without conflict. Glacier Bay was amazing for FS9, I sure would like to see that for FSX, payware or not. Does anyone know if GEX updates the textures most or all of AK? Their web site seems to indicate it's state wide.

TongassX will do absolutely nothing to other areas outside of TongassX. At least as far as what I have been told.

I cannot URGE you enough to get it. You will not leave there for a long time. :) If you are into GA aircraft that is.

http://forums.fsaddon.eu/viewtopic.php?t=2538

Tongass includes Mesh, photoreal, its own landclass and textures and airports and so on. Hand crafted from one end to the other. The moment you leave Tongass in any direction, everything else is in charge.

After you have Tongass running fine, you will be more concearned that GLOBAL texture booster packs like GEX would hurt Tongass. It will not as you can see from the thread I posted above. They made sure that they made UTX Canada sit next to Tongass nicely so that if you fly east or south out of Tongass, you will be back where UTX Canada is in charge. That said, you will know you hve entered UTX Canada land as it is not quite as detailed as Tongass. That is for sure.

I can hardily recomend Tongass X.

Victoria+ is free and looks great but IS effected by GEX.

Charles.

lawdawg
December 27th, 2009, 20:35
I am from and live (read lifer) in Alaska.
The only scenery that cuts the mustard for here in any way is Tongass.
More to come in the future. For now, this is it.

Francois
December 28th, 2009, 01:13
It was rumored at one time that Holder might do a Glacier Bay for FSX, but I have never really seen anything in print to confirm that. His Glacier Bay ver 2 for FS9 is incredibly detailed for freeware and a real testament to his talents.

Ed you should read our website and forums more often ;-)

Holger has promised BOTH Glacier Bay (free) and Mist (pay) and knowing him he will stick to his word.

Orbx is focusing more to the south fortunately ;)

Francois
December 28th, 2009, 01:17

Tongass doesn't 'conflict' with anything. Just make sure you put its priority higher than the 'general products' such as Globalmesh and GEX and the likes.

I doubt you'll EVER see a product that covers the entire state. Alaska is 1/5 of the entire US ! ;-)

wilycoyote4
December 28th, 2009, 02:21
Tongass doesn't 'conflict' with anything. Just make sure you put its priority higher than the 'general products' such as Globalmesh and GEX and the likes.

I doubt you'll EVER see a product that covers the entire state. Alaska is 1/5 of the entire US ! ;-)
Yes, it is an immense area. Tongass is named for the Tongass National Forest in southeast Alaska. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tongass_National_Forest

This area is far, far from the Bering Sea or the Arctic Ocean, Prudhoe Bay, Fairbanks, the Yukon River interior, or the long chain of Aleutian Islands, or Anchorage, the Kenai, Kodiak, or Prince William Sound with the Chugach Mountains for examples.

The Tongass payware includes some mountains of British Columbia, Canada, with glaciers. This product covers a huge area and has seacoast, and lakes some of which freeze in winter. Any reader should check it out. I love every flight I take in this huge payware area. Places for all types of aircraft.

Orbx is far south and Misty And Glacier Bay go north but not as far as Prince William Sound with the Chugach Mountains as far as I know.

The massive Mt. McKinley (Denali) area has never been touched as far as I know. Photoreal terrain for part of the Chugach and Prince William Sound plus part of the Kenai was available for FS9 as payware. I think it was released 6 years ago as Alaska Cinematic.

Despite the fame of the mountains most of Alaska is quite flat, tundra and taiga areas, gentle hills.

Someone will make some of the areas. as far as Alaska is concerned but Canada has much to offer, too. Mountain flying appeals to some and not others.