PDA

View Full Version : What software do you use to get your photos off your camera?

djscoo
December 27th, 2009, 12:54
I have always manually saved photos straight from the camera without any software, but my mother is technically challenged and doesn't really understand file structure, and the various drives etc... The software she uses now is really finicky and doesn't work 50% of the time. I was just wondering if there is anything super user-friendly out there for retrieving and saving photos from a digital camera. :ernae:

Lionheart
December 27th, 2009, 13:19
Mac OSX.

:d

(Really, it does well with syncing with camera's).

But, the regular WinXP sync wizard usually works for me. I can also usually access it on the Windows Explorer, though on Windows, it sometimes doesnt work for some odd reason. One day, it sees the camera just fine, the next day, its totally invisible and even with rebooting, it will not see it.

Bill

Craig Taylor
December 27th, 2009, 13:32
My camera (Canon Powershot) came with it's own disk and software.

Maybe your mother's camera manufacturer has some software on their website that might be downloaded...?

Chacha
December 27th, 2009, 13:48
OSX...

and

iPhoto

Really good... :applause:

gigabyte
December 27th, 2009, 13:55
I have always manually saved photos straight from the camera without any software, but my mother is technically challenged and doesn't really understand file structure, and the various drives etc... The software she uses now is really finicky and doesn't work 50% of the time. I was just wondering if there is anything super user-friendly out there for retrieving and saving photos from a digital camera. :ernae:

Two questions, what camera, and what OS?

With XP the Scanner and Camera Wizzard is fairly good but it can be confusing with some cameras it does not always detect the camera unless you set it to Download pics and in some cases you need to connect the camera and touch a button to start the detection. I ran into this with my MOther in law and had to write her a step by step to run the whole process. Once I had written it out and showed her once she was all set. If you have problems with the process let me know the answers to the above and I will see if I can compare the steps and send you what I did for her and modify it if need be.

djscoo
December 27th, 2009, 14:02
That's enough out of you Mac hooligans!:icon_lol:

The camera came with an Adobe program. I don't know if it was a screwed up install or what, but it never works correctly. I did a little searching, and installed Picasa from Google. It found all the pictures without a hitch, so I think I'll stick with that for now. Thanks guys.

luckydog
December 27th, 2009, 14:06
That's enough out of you Mac hooligans!:icon_lol:

The camera came with an Adobe program. I don't know if it was a screwed up install or what, but it never works correctly. I did a little searching, and installed Picasa from Google. It found all the pictures without a hitch, so I think I'll stick with that for now. Thanks guys.

Picasa's pretty good.

Chacha
December 27th, 2009, 14:17
adobe Photoshop is good ... :applause:

demorier
December 27th, 2009, 15:55
I find elderly persons are technically challenged with ANYTHING modern electronic.
But just for the record I use Canons own "Zoombrowser EX" software for the still camera and Sony's own "Picture motion Browser" for downloading from my video camera. They both work very well.....but not the simplest to use.

Moparmike
December 27th, 2009, 16:58
Picasa is probably a good choice if the built-in XP camera dump utility isn't what you're looking for.

I just use Windows Explorer to dump my camera cards, but from what I've seen the Canon software looks very useable if you've got a Canon.

If' it's a Kodak Easyshare though...the best thing you can do is throw that CD as far as you can before it reaches any computer. (Yes, I really dislike the Easyshare software!)

Make/model of the camera in question might be helpful for more replies.

cheezyflier
December 27th, 2009, 17:07
i use windows for my stepdaughter's camera, and canon's software for mine

Kiwikat
December 27th, 2009, 17:22
Can a mod please move this to the photography subforum?

I use the Canon DPP program to get them off the camera and then Adobe Camera Raw and Photoshop CS4. It is a decent workflow that has been working for me since I started 6 months ago.

MaddogK
December 27th, 2009, 18:19
Put the camera in 'hard drive' mode, you wont need any software, just plug it into a computer.

Henry
December 27th, 2009, 18:34
acdc
is a good free program
and i have moved this with a rediirect
H

djscoo
December 27th, 2009, 19:11
It's a Sony Cybershot P&S, it came with Adobe Photo Album which is the garbage program. I'm just looking for something relatively user-friendly for my computer illiterate mother to use...

Henry, do you have a link? Google turns up 90% acdc the band and the other 10% of the results are suspicious.

thanks again :ernae:

Chacha
December 27th, 2009, 20:29
It's a Sony Cybershot P&S, it came with Adobe Photo Album which is the garbage program. I'm just looking for something relatively user-friendly for my computer illiterate mother to use...

Henry, do you have a link? Google turns up 90% acdc the band and the other 10% of the results are suspicious.

Computer Challenged mother ! nicer tone ! :isadizzy:

JorisVandenBerghe
December 28th, 2009, 00:11
When I used to use on Windows, I used (boy, three times 'use' in one sentence...) Sony's own Picture Motion Browser, in which I could crop, adjust the lighting or levels, contrast, saturation, hue, sharpen, etc.
Very fast and extremely easy to use (at least, for a DSLR, can't comment on how it works with video of course). Also used Paint.NET.

Since I moved to my MacBook Pro I started using iPhoto (which is a tremendous application, it's amazing what you can do with it) and since a couple of weeks I have been using Apple's Aperture 2, an Adobe Lightroom counterpart.

It's not as expensive as Adobe Lightroom here in Belgium, (€ 200 compared to € 320) cheaper.

kilo delta
December 28th, 2009, 07:04
I use Adobe Lightroom to import the files and for any quick edits. Anything more in-depth I'll use Photoshop CS4.

Henry
December 28th, 2009, 10:37

acdsee
and it used to be free
but seems not any more

http://store.acdsee.com/store/acd/DisplayHomePage/Locale.en_US/Currency.USD
H