PDA

View Full Version : Hamble Airfield WIP

calypsos
December 27th, 2009, 09:03
Hamble was one of the cradles of British aviation, A.V. Roe and Fairey had factories there, but today (apart from a small BAe factory on the point of closure) the early sea plane base and airfield are under a housing estate. The last part of the airfield is about to be dug up for gravel extraction next year.

However, thanks to the magic of FS, you will soon be able to re-visit it, situated as it is on the picturesque Solen sea front.

I have modelled it in the period when I flew in DHC Chipmunks with the AEF based there in the 1970's. The airfield was also home to The College of Air Training which taught pretty much all future BEA and BOAC pilots from 1962 to the late 70's. because of that, Hamble gives you the novelty of using a double four light PAPI approach system on a small grass runway!

Although built for Horizon Gen X only, I have added loads of auto gen trees and local eye candy again (the Chipmunk statics are included and another DL from FS.com will also give you the C of AT Beech twins), expect it be out around New Year.

letsgetrowdy
December 27th, 2009, 10:02
Hi - looking good there! have you seen the Duxford airshow layout I made?

bobmay
December 27th, 2009, 10:41
I have modelled it in the period when I flew in DHC Chipmunks with the AEF based there ....

I would love to see Hamble airfield in FSX. I had my first ever flight from there in 1953 as a 14 year old air cadet, and I caught the bug. :salute:

I often take Rick Piper's Chippie over to the Hamble site and land in the dirt, it would be great to see some buildings.

Bob.

calypsos
December 27th, 2009, 13:26
I was about 20 years later than you Bob, but in my case it was my first aerobatics. I will never forget looking 'up' at the top of a loop and seeing a giant oil tanker sailing into Fawley 'hovering' above my head! I have included the old AEF hangar with a line up of Chippies so you will soon be able to go and park next to them!

PS, yes I have the Duxford layout but want to get this done first!