PDA

View Full Version : How old is Jesus?

Lionheart
December 27th, 2009, 07:00
Here's a trivia question for you all.

If Christmas is the celebration of the birth of Jesus, how old would He be today?

No politics, no religion. Just age. :d

Note; December 25th 2009 is 'A.D.'

Bill

Curtis P40
December 27th, 2009, 07:06
As old as time ?

Kiwikat
December 27th, 2009, 07:08
Well considering no one (alive) knows exactly when he was born... :mixedsmi:

Have fun with the guesstimates.

Chacha
December 27th, 2009, 07:08
As old as time ?

:engel016:

paiken
December 27th, 2009, 07:15
Not quite as old as god:icon_lol:

paiken
December 27th, 2009, 07:16
And the answer you're looking for is 2010

huub vink
December 27th, 2009, 07:23
Weird enough Jesus was born 4 BC, so it would have become 2013.

But their are quite some differences between the Gospel by Mattheus and Lucas. So who can be sure.....

Cheers,
Huub

PRB
December 27th, 2009, 07:23
I watched a History Channel show about this recently that was interesting. Since we know that King Herod was alive when Jesus was born, and we think Herod died in what we now call 6 or 7 BC, due to the fact that the guy who invented the current calander system we use today made several mistakes. So, 2015 or 1017?

EDIT: What Huub said... :d

huub vink
December 27th, 2009, 07:30
I watched a History Channel show about this recently that was interesting. Since we know that King Herod was alive when Jesus was born, and we think Herod died in what we now call 6 or 7 BC, due to the fact that the guy who invented the current calander system we use today made several mistakes. So, 2015 or 1017?

The Herodes who was Tetrach during the life of Jesus was Herodes Antipas, who lived from 20 BC - 39 AD. He was the son of Herodes the Great, who died 4 BC.

Huub

6297J
December 27th, 2009, 07:34
As with the answer to all trivia questions - it depends which web page you visit.

Lionheart
December 27th, 2009, 07:52
Its a difficult question, eh?

The advent of leap year entries to compensate a perfect time line can be a factor.

How old was he when he was on the cross. 33? 36?

Bill

mariereid
December 27th, 2009, 08:04
33, or am I wrong about that, too?

Lionheart
December 27th, 2009, 09:28
33, or am I wrong about that, too?

I believe you are correct MarieReid.

Here is a quote;

We do not know for sure the exact age of Jesus when He was crucified, but He was probably 33 years old. Here is the argument. Jesus was baptized. But the reason He was baptized was to "fulfill all righteousness," (Matt. 3:15). He had to fulfill the legal requirements for entering into the priesthood after the order of Melchizedek (Psalm 110:4; Heb. 5:8-10; 6:20). Priests offered sacrifice to God on behalf of the people. Jesus became a sacrifice for our sin (1 Pet. 2:24; 2 Cor. 5:21) in His role as priest. To be consecrated as a priest, Jesus had to be: 1) washed with water - baptism - (Lev. 8:6; Exodus 29:4, Matt. 3:16). 2) Anointed with oil - the Holy Spirit - (Lev. 8:12; Exodus 29:7; Matt. 3:16). Additionally, He may have needed to be 30 years old, Num. 4:3, "from thirty years and upward, even to fifty years old, all who enter the service to do the work in the tent of meeting." Therefore we can conclude that Jesus began His earthly ministry at the age of 30. Since it went on for 3 1/2 years before Jesus was crucified, it is safe to say that He was 33 at the time of His death Jesus (the man) was crucified at the age of 33.

He certainly did a lot of work in 3 short years.

The real 'mind stretcher' is, how old he was before he was here.

He is mentioned countless times in the Bible before he came here, and he himself talks about how he was sent here for his mission to save people. So that tells us he was around before he was born.

So.......... I think Curtis P40 could very well have hit the nail on the head.

If time is a created 'physic' or law or device, and Jesus was around during its creation, then he is outside of time.

Also, in the bible, it states that for God, a day is like a thousand years, and a thousand years is like a day. So could it be that the location of heaven is outside of time or time behaves at a different speed compared to ours (our location or dimension), and thus aging is different as well.

Here is something else. We base time on a day and a year. A year is based on the revolution of our planet around the sun. What if the Earth was travelling faster 2,000 or even 5,000 or even 10,000 years ago. Lets say then that one year 5,000 years ago, the earth did a revolution in only 330 days. That would appear that people lived much longer (many many years old), but in reality, the years were shorter because of a faster orbit of the Earth. The same could be for days, if the Earth is slowing down in RPM for its 'day' cycle. Thus, 5,000 years ago, one day could have been perhaps 19 hours...

But thats beside the point. Those are only measurements 'here' in this 'place' and only illustrates our perceptions and measurements of time.

Now... one more mind stretcher...

In the scripture, it says 'God knew us before we were born.'

djscoo
December 27th, 2009, 09:57
Also, I think it is accepted that December 25th has nothing to do with the birth of Christ. We celebrate his birth then, but Christmas was placed on the 25th to coincide with the Winter Solstice so pagans wouldn't be so shocked when they were forced into celebrating new Christian holidays.

...just saying

Lionheart
December 27th, 2009, 10:05
My brother and I were just talking about this..

If for God a day is like a thousand years for us, then 10 years for him would be approximately 3,650,000 years for us...

Dang..

That is some massive time compression..

viking3
December 27th, 2009, 10:16
According to my Ukrainian Orthodox friends Christmas isn't until Jan.7. So his "birthday" isn't for a few days. Makes for good fun in this neighborhood as we get 2 Christmas and 2 New Years days each year to celebrate. And man you have to try a traditional 12 course Ukrainian Christmas dinner. Delicious.:kilroy:

6297J
December 27th, 2009, 10:23
Also, I think it is accepted that December 25th has nothing to do with the birth of Christ.

I agree - it was celebrated as a pagan festival for centuries before Jesus was but a twinkle in God's all seeing eye. The same goes for Easter of course.

I have a strong suspicion however that it's not accepted round here :mixedsmi:

cheezyflier
December 27th, 2009, 12:31
gospel of john, chapter 1 says He always was.

magoo
December 27th, 2009, 12:49
I believe I read something about astrologers back-plotting visible stars and comets and comming to the concencus that this particular profit was born in April? Noting the political manipulations of the early Christian church as it spread it's power base north through Europe, one would observe that it was important to place one their more signifigant calendar celebrations atop of one of similar status that the Non-Christian social traditions they were replacing. Churches atop of temple sites, etc. I wonder how many time's Athena's Parthanon has gone from being a temple, a church, a mosque, a military barrack, an ammo dump.....etc, etc.
So...perhaps Jesus is really a Taurus, not an Aquarius...?

Snuffy
December 27th, 2009, 14:28
These types of questions never cease to amaze me.

For everyone's percieved knowledge and understanding of what they think they know, its unfortunate that they know nothing at all.

And really anyone with a little astute knowledge of times and seasons and understanding of historical events would still be hard pressed to know the real answer to that question.

I can assure you of at least one thing ... he's older than the, spiritural heavens, and much older than the physical universe, though I tend to agree more so with Paiken than any of the other answers here.

mariereid
December 27th, 2009, 14:56
It's just too much for ANY of us to really understand. I quess that is why ya need "blind" faith. I wish we could talk about how the whole thing got started, but those talks seem to get out of hand real fast. Peace to you all.

cheezyflier
December 27th, 2009, 17:17
boo, admit it, i win :icon_lol:

Kiwikat
December 27th, 2009, 17:20
I wish we could talk about how the whole thing got started, but those talks seem to get out of hand real fast. Peace to you all.

+1...

:mixedsmi:

I think we should give the religious topics a break. I am finding it gradually more difficult to keep myself from going off on one of these threads.

Lionheart
December 27th, 2009, 17:25
It's just too much for ANY of us to really understand. I quess that is why ya need "blind" faith. I wish we could talk about how the whole thing got started, but those talks seem to get out of hand real fast. Peace to you all.

Its great to talk about. It always amazes me when I learn or realize a little bit more of God and 'the big picture'.

Bill

Bjoern
December 29th, 2009, 06:57
It always amazes me when I learn or realize a little bit more of God and 'the big picture'.

Change "big picture" to "plan" and this could be a quote straight from BSG.

And speaking of...seeing how Baltar got all those chicks with his cult I think it's time for me to start one too.

Cazzie
December 29th, 2009, 07:36
Ah Bill, we know the answer to life, the universe, and everything is 42. :engel016:

Caz

tigisfat
December 29th, 2009, 09:31
+1...

:mixedsmi:

I think we should give the religious topics a break. I am finding it gradually more difficult to keep myself from going off on one of these threads.

Exactly. The OP says: "no religion", but it's a thread about a religious character. :kilroy: I'll play though: How old was Jesus supposed to have been when died the second time, minus the however long gap?

It doesn't bug me to much until Christians openly bash my beliefs.

Snuffy
December 29th, 2009, 09:47
... How old was Jesus supposed to have been when died the second time, minus the however long gap? ...

Guess you'll have to explain this one.

Lionheart
December 29th, 2009, 10:22
Ah Bill, we know the answer to life, the universe, and everything is 42. :engel016:

Caz

lololol...

Yes!

tigisfat
December 29th, 2009, 11:18
Guess you'll have to explain this one.

Please excuse that horrible sentence. I'll try to reiterate. The legend says Jesus died on the cross, then came back in a few days, right? How old was he when he was supposed to have died on the cross? Then he 'rebuilt the temple' and all that jazz, so when did he die after that, for a second death?

6297J
December 29th, 2009, 11:59
The legend says Jesus died on the cross, then came back in a few days, right? How old was he when he was supposed to have died on the cross? Then he 'rebuilt the temple' and all that jazz, so when did he die after that, for a second death?

Wait a minute - how old was Jesus when he invented Jazz!?

Maybe the 'Disciples' were actually an underground be-bop group and those boring Romans just didn't dig that scene. Maybe thats what all the fuss was about and in 2000 years time we'll have the Church Of Charlie Parker :isadizzy:

cheezyflier
December 29th, 2009, 12:06
Please excuse that horrible sentence. I'll try to reiterate. The legend says Jesus died on the cross, then came back in a few days, right? How old was he when he was supposed to have died on the cross? Then he 'rebuilt the temple' and all that jazz, so when did he die after that, for a second death?

the temple He rebuilt, was himself. when He told the pharisees to destroy the temple and He would rebuild it in 3 days he was speaking of Himself. they thought He was speaking of solomon's temple. He did not die a 2nd time. He ascended bodily into heaven from whence He will return with a shout.

viking3
December 29th, 2009, 12:26
we'll have the Church Of Charlie Parker

I'm in man.:wiggle:

Regards, Rob:ernae:

Snuffy
December 29th, 2009, 12:41
DISCLAIMER: For those of you who may be offended, or find the following to be "humorus", I ask that you either refrain from reading further, or if you do read, avoid negative commenting in this post. (thats what PMs are for.) This is provided for Tigisfat because he initiated the thought process. Thanks for your cooperation.

First the crucifixion is not "legend". Historians of the time have recorded the event as an actual happening. Josephus is one of these, the historian of the Jews during that time, his writings are well known and accepted by many as factual.

Second, Jesus was 33 1/2 years old when in his physical human body at the time of his death. (See Ecc 9:5,6 for a Biblical definition of death.)
He was Bibically dead for parts of 3 days. He died of Friday and was resurrected on Sunday. For those who think that Jesus ascended to heaven immediately at his death, guess again. Jesus himself told at least one person that he had not yet ascended to heaven after his death. (John 20:17) He was known for telling the truth, so the truth of the matter is that he did not ascend to heaven at his death. (Cheesy is right with regards to the comments about tearing down and rebuilding the temple.)

After his resurrection here on earth as a spirit creature, he remained on earth for 40 days before ascending to heaven. He did not die a second time to do this. One physical death was all he had to provide, and that was the day he died on the crucifixion. A small group of his disciples witnessed his ascention. (Acts 1:6-11) There was no second death. As a spirit creature he merely shed his human bonds and ascended to heaven in his spirit body.

However, there are other things you might want to consider about him while here on earth those 40 days after his resurrection.
He materialized in various bodies, his disciples did not recognize the physical man before them, but the message was clearly his. (Luke 24:13-35)
One of the women, named Mary, coming to his tomb on Sunday to finish "preparing" his body for the long rest of death, did not recognize him until he spoke to her. (John 20:11-18)
He was able to enter locked rooms without having to use a door to enter the room. (John 20:19-29)

Hope this helps.

Lionheart
December 29th, 2009, 12:59
DISCLAIMER: For those of you who may be offended, or find the following to be "humorus", I ask that you either refrain from reading further, or if you do read, avoid negative commenting in this post. (thats what PMs are for.) This is provided for Tigisfat because he initiated the thought process. Thanks for your cooperation.

First the crucifixion is not "legend". Historians of the time have recorded the event as an actual happening. Josephus is one of these, the historian of the Jews during that time, his writings are well known and accepted by many as factual.

Second, Jesus was 33 1/2 years old when in his physical human body at the time of his death. (See Ecc 9:5,6 for a Biblical definition of death.)
He was Bibically dead for parts of 3 days. He died of Friday and was resurrected on Sunday. For those who think that Jesus ascended to heaven immediately at his death, guess again. Jesus himself told at least one person that he had not yet ascended to heaven after his death. (John 20:17) He was known for telling the truth, so the truth of the matter is that he did not ascend to heaven at his death. (Cheesy is right with regards to the comments about tearing down and rebuilding the temple.)

After his resurrection here on earth as a spirit creature, he remained on earth for 40 days before ascending to heaven. He did not die a second time to do this. One physical death was all he had to provide, and that was the day he died on the crucifixion. A small group of his disciples witnessed his ascention. (Acts 1:6-11) There was no second death. As a spirit creature he merely shed his human bonds and ascended to heaven in his spirit body.

However, there are other things you might want to consider about him while here on earth those 40 days after his resurrection.
He materialized in various bodies, his disciples did not recognize the physical man before them, but the message was clearly his. (Luke 24:13-35)
One of the women, named Mary, coming to his tomb on Sunday to finish "preparing" his body for the long rest of death, did not recognize him until he spoke to her. (John 20:11-18)
He was able to enter locked rooms without having to use a door to enter the room. (John 20:19-29)

Hope this helps.

Thats awesome Snuffy. Well put.

I had forgotten some of the details such as the locked doors. For 40 days, many that were dead had arisen also. Jesus had freed the ones held in 'the afterworld' thus taking the keys from it, and destroying the power of death, thus freeing even the dead that were yet still alive in the spirit.

Jesus will not die a second time. That is reserved for those that are judged in the final judgement and are excluded from 'eternal life'. Their spirits will undergo a second death, and they will be sent to a place that we call hell and is referred to as the pit in Holy Scripture.

I didnt mean for this to get religious. It was about how old Jesus is. Its an interesting fact and conversation for those that wish to 'look outside the box' and have questions about 'the big picture'.

For some, they only see life as a temporary party, an event, some pain, etc. Others see life as an amazing thing, a miracle, incredible with surprises around every corner. Some see farther then tomorrow, and some only see 'the moment'.

It was great to see some of the answers people had.

:applause:

Bill

Chacha
December 29th, 2009, 13:04
My lips are sealed...

This is not the place for my mouth to start talking....

I leave it like it is! :engel016:

6297J
December 29th, 2009, 13:28
I didnt mean for this to get religious. It was about how old Jesus is. Its an interesting fact and conversation for those that wish to 'look outside the box' and have questions about 'the big picture'.

I think you knew very well what you were doing by asking the question! How can a question about Jesus - any question about Jesus possibly not get religious? I'm beginning to get a bad taste in my mouth about the thinly disguised missionary work that seems to be creeping into these forums, especially when a mod is involved. A seemingly innocent question or comment soon has a handful of obviously fundamentalist Christians blindly (and deafly) stating 'facts' like they are trying to convert people. I have a strong suspicion that if someone was equally vociferous about Islam and began quoting from the Koran the Christians around here would all be jumping up and down asking for it to stop.

Surely this isn't the place for it and I'm sorry Bill but you should not have been made SOH staff if you are going to continue to preach, albeit subliminally. If you must insist on doing so then why not set up a 'God is Great' sub-forum and keep it all in one place.

Snuffy
December 29th, 2009, 13:36
... Surely this isn't the place for it and I'm sorry Bill but you should not have been made SOH staff if you are going to continue to preach, albeit subliminally. If you must insist on doing so then why not set up a 'God is Great' sub-forum and keep it all in one place.

Surely you can't be that shallow? I'm sorry to hear this.

There was nothing "missionary preaching" in anything that was said in any of the comments.

People expressed opinions, just the same as you did, and you're the one crying foul.

:173go1:

6297J
December 29th, 2009, 13:45
Surely you can't be that shallow? I'm sorry to hear this.

There was nothing "missionary preaching" in anything that was said in any of the comments.

People expressed opinions, just the same as you did, and you're the one crying foul.

:173go1:

But you are not expressing an 'opinion'. You are quoting passages from the Bible as if they are fact and Bill is talking about final judgement and eternal damnation. That is what missionaries do :icon_lol:

My 'opinion' is that this forum is no place for preaching.

Chacha
December 29th, 2009, 13:48
If you have personal message to one of the members/SOH Staff, use your PMs...

Let us not use words to hurt others feelings....

... peace!

djscoo
December 29th, 2009, 13:59
I'm still waiting for this thread to be closed...I thought religious debates were off limits.

Snuffy
December 29th, 2009, 14:02
But you are not expressing an 'opinion'. You are quoting passages from the Bible as if they are fact and Bill is talking about final judgement and eternal damnation. That is what missionaries do :icon_lol:

My 'opinion' is that this forum is no place for preaching.

One last comment here and I'm done.

What you have read is your perception. If you were familar with how people who write, reference the works they based their writing on, you would know that anytime something is placed in () its a sign of being referenced and not a direct quote.

You will find no quotation marks around anything I wrote that has a scriptural basis so, I indeed have not quoted scripture.

And for the record, if you've ever encountered a real misssionary you'd know that they don't quote scripture all the time. Again that is your perception of something you don't understand.

And as you said ... its your opininon. Everything anyone has said prior to this has been the opinion of those who made their comments. Something they all have a right by law to do. No one has tried to force their opinion on the others.

I think its time to lock this thread.

viking3
December 29th, 2009, 14:03
In the Church of Charlie Parker there will be no words only riffs, beautiful riffs man, that wander all over and then bring you back to now baby.:wiggle:

Regards, Rob:ernae:

Ferry_vO
December 29th, 2009, 14:09
Since this is getting personal, I think it's time to lock it..

Panther_99FS
December 29th, 2009, 14:25
For inquiring minds..
This thread was kept alive due to it being in the Christmas holidays