PDA

View Full Version : Keyboard reference?

Cratermaker
December 26th, 2009, 19:34
Does anyone know where to get a keyboard reference for this? (printable)

I did a search and it seems that there was a .pdf reference sheet, but all the links to it are broken that I can find.

gigabyte
December 27th, 2009, 00:37
Does anyone know where to get a keyboard reference for this? (printable)

I did a search and it seems that there was a .pdf reference sheet, but all the links to it are broken that I can find.

I have a nice one somewhere, but I can't find the source file, however I am attaching a PDF of an Excel based layout that works rather well not real fancy but functional. If you have MS Excel or Open Office you can edit the original to add any customizations you make, so if you would like the source file let me know and PM me an eMail addie so I can forward it.

I'll look some more and if I find the nice fancy one I have I'll post it as well.

I know there are some nice ones out there and I will keep an eye out for you as I scan the various sites.

Lionheart
December 27th, 2009, 07:38
CM,

If you look on the various menu's controls, you'll see letters in yellow that are the shortcut keys. Some of these only work when certain menu's are open. For instance, L key will launch missles, unless you are docked. Then it will give you a list of Landed Ships, where you can quickly access one of your own and give it commands to do something. (Faster then using the 'your ships' menu, which is brought up with R key).

The keys I use most are;
<..............Galaxy Map
>..............Sector Map
Shift D.......Dock, Auto Pilot, must have target selected
M..............Missle Load/unload
L...............Launch Missle/ docked ships at a station
T...............Activate targeting, great for scanning things you want to know about
R..............My Ships, Stations, Sats
J...............SETA drive (warp key) Must have Sigularity Engine Time Accellerator installed/purchased..
~..............My own shortcut for a addons script 'Jump Now' (no cells needed)
Shift-J.......Hyper Drive Jump innitialization (then plug in your destination)
Shift C.......Ship's Command Menu
F1.............Interior view (like S key in FS)
F2, F2 again.....External spot plane view (like in FS) Front and rear view
Shift S........Save, only possible when docked at a station
Shift Q........Quit (eeks.. must be 2:30 AM, time for bed)
Alt..............Really cool zoom system, 'some sort of goggles', must be purchased

NumPad keys.....When in exterior view, will allow you to look around, internal view look around also. '5' key will center view back again
Arrow Keys........Works your directional thrusters

Those are some I use all the time. I am good enough now that I can rip through the keyboard shortcuts and get my ship going where I want without using the joystick, but its fun to fly manually as well. Keys can make it go faster if you are in a big hurry. Accessing other ships and commanding them to do things can be done while you are in between waypoints is common, having a freighter get something for you, having a wing meet you in a sector where some pirates or Xenon are attacking ships, etc..

EDIT: Some more..
Shift Key.....Turns on your mouse directional steering. Shift Key activates that. Great in dog fights. Right Click is fire lasers
G............Weapons Menu, Groups 1-4 weapons assignments
1-4 keys.......Weapons Selections, 1 is usually everything except missles, 2 or 3 or 4 is usually one or two weapons for just warning shots if you wish to take something 'alive' or in one piece. (Ship capture).
K............Laser targetting, off/semi lock/lock (Does not actually lock, but helps a bit).

For Mason;
No windshield wipers
No landing gear to raise
No elevator trim
No pitot heat switches/controls
No stewardesses (yet)

For hard core airfile nooots;
No rocket thrust torque values on takeoff/accellerations
No aileron trim
No rocket thrust wash
No working airconditioning switches

Bill

harleyman
December 27th, 2009, 09:38
WHAT No wipers..?? I just say this...

I am printing out this list..Thanks bill

now is there an external view?

Lionheart
December 27th, 2009, 09:40
Yep..

F2. F2 twice gives you back view, then front view, then repeats. Use NumPad keys when in exterior view to see around your ship. NumPad + and - will zoom the view.

F1 returns you to VC mode.

Bill

gigabyte
December 27th, 2009, 10:10
Yep..

F2. F2 twice gives you back view, then front view, then repeats. Use NumPad keys when in exterior view to see around your ship. NumPad + and - will zoom the view.

F1 returns you to VC mode.

Bill

F1 also cycles external views including anything you have Targeted.

Lionheart
December 27th, 2009, 10:13
F1 also cycles external views including anything you have Targeted.

I keep forgetting that... arrgh.

F1 is like the S key in FS..

I need to learn all the top F keys, what they do. Seeing the enemy ships really helps.

I spotted a new type of Xenon fighter I hadnt seen before, their P model. I guess its their lite Corvette class. I 'must' take one down! :d

Bill

harleyman
December 27th, 2009, 10:35
Thanks

I already have the wharp speed thing..it goes to 600 I think when I hit J..I never bought it though..

I have locked on a target, requested permission to dock..

They give permission , and tell me to look for the docking lights..

Every time I try to auto dock it aborts me ...

How do I know when to activate AD Shift D ? Where is the click meter?

once it said I was to close to AD too and aborted me...

gigabyte
December 27th, 2009, 11:04
Thanks

I already have the wharp speed thing..it goes to 600 I think when I hit J..I never bought it though..

I have locked on a target, requested permission to dock..

They give permission , and tell me to look for the docking lights..

Every time I try to auto dock it aborts me ...

How do I know when to activate AD Shift D ? Where is the click meter?

once it said I was to close to AD too and aborted me...

Be careful with docking it can get tricky in the beginning, and you end up as space dust... What you describe is Manual docking and you need to practice that, when you are with in range of the station and hit C to request Permission to dock that is manual docking, if you target the station and hit AutoPilot (Shift A in Terran Conflict, "u" in Reunion) you will dock with Auto Pilot. which will show you how it is done so you can do the same manually.

There is also a docking computer that you have to purchase which is almost instant docking and that is Shift D by default.

The best practice is to bring up your sector Map ("." key) and select a station some distance away, close the map and hit the AutoPilot, it will request clearence (if you are in range) and pilot your ship stright in, if you are out of range you will be taken to the station byt may need to toggle the auto pilot to get clearence again, I have not done that in some time so I forget if you need to ask for clearence again.

EDIT- The "Warp Thing" is the SETA, "Singularity Engine Time Accelerator" VERY COOL device, wish I have one for the PT Cruiser...lol and if you go into the Game Play Options you can change the Max Value to 10X so you get 1000% boost, look at the main menu, (Lower Left Corner the checkmark) click to open then select Game Play, the top option is SETA Factor, click on the right side and bump it up to max 10X.

EDIT #2 - Important Safety Tip, as soon as you begin navigating to other sectors, do yourself a favour, remember to get your butt out of the way as soon as you emerge from a jump gate, ships following and ships on the other side about to enter have a nasty habit of plowing through your little craft and "Poof" you are space dust. I generally try to turn off AutoPilot just before I enter the gate so I can manually hit the throttle and pull up as soon as I get through. You will soon find the AutoPilot has frequent "Brain Farts" if you leave it unattended and it can run smack into the biggest thing around just when you are not looking, it's great for long distance and docking (most of the time) but you need to keep an eye ob it when you are going through gates and if you are close to a station or asteroid when you activate it.

harleyman
December 27th, 2009, 12:01
Ahhh I was using shift D for auto pilot..That explains it..thanks for the tips..appreciate that...

Lionheart
December 27th, 2009, 13:28
Mason,

Sounds like you are getting the hang of it.

Another setting in Game Settings or Game Play is to turn on the worm hole visuals. That thing is cool. You warp through a tunnel of light when you go through gates or when you do a hyper jump. (A hyper jump is different from the SETA warp. You will need to buy a Hyper Jump Drive, which I think they cost between 50 and 100K).

Go through the South gate when you get a chance and check out how wierd that area is. Pretty crazy..

Also, note that if you started with Humble Merchant, that you have two ships. One is a single seat fighter, a 'Discoverer' ship. You can pick that one up and fly it around too. Just hit R to find it (which station its parked at) and then dock at that station, go to R again and click on your ship, bringing up the menu, click Advanced/Change Ship. You will then change seats into your other ship.

Have you installed your VC's yet in your ships?

Bill

harleyman
December 27th, 2009, 14:36
No VC yet...Was wondering about that..

Its getting intresting....i did n auto dock once , and a manual one too..But I was lucky I think as I just flew it in and uses no thrusters , nothing(have not used thrusters yet) LOL

Thanks

dded..Still have not quite got AP down to good..I turn it on with shift A and a lot of times it says it hads dissengagded it..???

Not gotten to trade yet, have seen the screen, but not figured it out yet..

I am like a fish flopping out of water...LOl

GT182
December 27th, 2009, 14:55
Just posted a screenshot of my Saber's cockpit in the Mods thread.

Lionheart
December 27th, 2009, 17:04
dded..Still have not quite got AP down to good..I turn it on with shift A and a lot of times it says it hads dissengagded it..???

If you touch the arrow keys, your Auto Pilot will disengage. If you have your HUD off and you tap the screen with the mouse (like clicking on a station) you will lose AP also.

There are alot of things you can do when in AP, but just a couple of things (like arrow keys) that you cant do when in AP mode.

When I am a distance off from a station and in AP mode, I can bring up my R window (ships) and look up a freighter and dispatch it while my ship is automatically lining up to dock.

Bill

Mobayrasta
January 14th, 2010, 10:13
Here are Bill's frequently used keys in an easy to read text file for printing. :applause:

gigabyte
January 14th, 2010, 13:36
No VC yet...Was wondering about that..

Not gotten to trade yet, have seen the screen, but not figured it out yet..

I am like a fish flopping out of water...LOl

The VC is a must for me (and many of us) the install is fairly easy, here is the link to the version I use;
http://www.mediafire.com/?ntgohy1omne (http://www.mediafire.com/?ntgohy1omne)

The full topic is on this page;
http://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=254635

The Cockpit Mod is compatible with everything I have tested so it is best installed as a fake patch so there is no loading/unloading required. If you look back at this topic - http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?t=28669 post #6 is a "Cheat Sheet" on installing the cockpits as a fake patch complete with screen shots. In my case I installed it as Patch # 10, the other patch #11 is the AMS mode which is a bit more involved as it adds ships and wepons as well.

Trading is only one small part of the game some people never even bother, but to do the basics its just a matter of docking at a station and using the Trade section of the Station Menu, find something you want to buy, click the Right side of the bar at the bottom to add it to your ships hold and travel to another station that needs it, then select it again in the Trade Menu and click the left side of the bar to sell it. Hopefully the price is much more then you paid for it...

SO go flopp along there Cassidy... sorry I had to...lol