PDA

View Full Version : My 2 cents re; tutorials

Fibber
December 26th, 2009, 17:51
Hi guys ( and gals):icon_lol:
I was recently looking for a old post regarding SdC's scenery and Rumbafallappys LODs and their interoperability. I realized that these posts are quickly receding into the back archives of the forum.
We have a "Resources" section and I purpose that these type of informational posts be moved and retained there. It seems that many of the posts there haven't been updated or added to since inception.
The newer posts re; items stated, and aliasing info by Jax and Obio (for example) could possibly cut down on the redundant questions that come up on the same subject. Especialy for us older members with CRS and those with CRAFT syndrom!:salute::jump::icon_lol:
Anyone else feel the same way?

bobhegf
December 26th, 2009, 19:45
I agree, that we should try to preserve all info post.

Jagdflieger
December 27th, 2009, 08:15
This idea comes up from time to time. I always think that it's a good idea, but who among us has the time to collect and organize it all. It's probably a bridge too far.

We have about 100 or so CFS 2 members that are active or visiting the forum at any given time. That membership changes routinely as new members join and older members move on to other sims. That being the case, all old questions at some point become new questions again. It is healthy for the forum to bring them up again for the new guys and it is good for the forum for the old guys to answer them.

The main tutorials from Maskrider, Cody Coyote, et al are all available in the library. That info is always available, but we always see questions pop up that are fully covered in them. It's human nature to ask and not research and that's fine with me as it provides a more dynamic and vibrant forum. In the end, that's why we are here and the constant exchange of info (whether old or new) keeps the membership up and interested. Satisfaction is gained from learning an answer or by giving an answer.

Trying to sort out subject matter and info from the threads into meaningful tutorials is a task beyond my meager librarian skills or time. Sometimes the threads have superfluous or incorrect info in them right alongside the correct info and I'd hate to perpetuate that or try and edit all of that out.

I save the best and most pertinent info from the forum into my own library of "tips" and I often refer to them, particularly DP and FM info. I also try and credit the author so that I can quote him when necessary. Many of you have noted that for certain routine questions I have a serieis of screen shots on file to provide graphics for my answers.

If one of you would like to organize this info into a cognizant and succinct document, I; no we, would appreciate that. It could then be uploaded as a tutorial and then become part of our knowledge database alongside the afore mentioned documents.

There are some great CFS 2 sites out there that support CFS 2 very well. A few that I visit often are:

Caleb's site: http://www.cfgse.calebflerk.com/index.htm

Jaxon's site: http://www.michael-reimer.com/CFS2/CFS2.html

mariereid
December 27th, 2009, 09:31
Wow, Jagd, first time I ever saw Caleb's site. Those are both great sites for learning about the inner workings of CFS2.

Fibber
December 27th, 2009, 13:01
I agree that questions always makes the information and interests flow fresher. I just thought that some of the more succculent posts have receeded into the ethernet and will be lost as the members who posted them move on.
I realize that there is a large volume of info/references out there and thought that a reference library would be a great help. I, for one, save in a folder any posts that I find that have information so that when this old brain has a brain fart :pop4::isadizzy: I will be able to find some guidance.:icon_lol:

Jagdflieger
December 27th, 2009, 16:57
Hey Fibber,

I understand and I've given it much thought, but I just don't have the time to tackle a project like that. I have a folder full of tips in a semi organized form, so perhaps when I retire (again) in a few years I'll try to put something together.

Here's a shot of the mess on my computer:

Fibber
December 27th, 2009, 20:34
Yikes!!!!!:isadizzy: That would need a five page index!:icon_lol: