PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone tried these textures?

Navy Chief
December 26th, 2009, 15:59
There is an entire series of them on Flightsim.com

<center>FSX - FSX Scenery </center> <center>FSX Scenery--50cm Generic Project Textures Rocks
</center> <center> [ Download (http://www.flightsim.com/kdl.php?fid=142044) | View (http://www.flightsim.com/zview.php?cm=list&fid=142044) ] </center>
Name: 50cm_rock_part02.zip (http://www.flightsim.com/kdl.php?fid=142044) Size: 211,680,820 Date: 12-26-2009
http://www.flightsim.com/o/50cm_rock_part02.gif FSX Scenery--50cm Generic Project Textures Rocks Mountains - part 2 of 3. All rocks around the world are updated from 1m to 50cm. Includes all seasons. By Aime Leclercq.

Cazzie
December 26th, 2009, 16:48
I assume one would need Parts 1 & 3 also Chief.

I have not tried them, but I shall.

Caz

jeansy
December 26th, 2009, 16:58
i looked at them last night, but was reluctant to download them untill i heard something

so im keen to hear what theyre like

Overshoe
December 26th, 2009, 17:00
I should have them downloaded about the time FS12 comes out.:monkies:

wiltzei
December 26th, 2009, 17:35
Authorīs textures are generally good looking, so I think itīs safe to install then. I recommend running GEX again after installing these just in case.

Navy Chief
December 26th, 2009, 21:04
Authorīs textures are generally good looking, so I think itīs safe to install then. I recommend running GEX again after installing these just in case.

Ok, now I am confused. Doesn't GEX provide it's OWN textures? I don't know anything about it.

NC

Paul Anderson
December 27th, 2009, 15:50
I tried his 30cm summer only textures. Big files, expected things would grind to a halt - they didn't, excellent improvement. Am downloading now, better to have all seasons better at 50cm than default, than just the one, and not willing to compare files or download the 30cm again as an overlay for higher summer resolution.

I do keep a backup on another drive in case new installs don't work out, but never had a problem with this gentleman's work.

Look at his website before downloading if you are undecided.
I still have the one from years ago for FS9 Grand Canyon, became a believer then.

falcon409
December 27th, 2009, 16:11
Ok, now I am confused. Doesn't GEX provide it's OWN textures? I don't know anything about it.
NC
Same here Chief, I've always seen freeware releases like these as an "alternative" to payware such as GEX or UTX and not to be used in addition to those payware products.

wiltzei
December 28th, 2009, 09:58

NC

Same here Chief, I've always seen freeware releases like these as an "alternative" to payware such as GEX or UTX and not to be used in addition to those payware products.

Iīve installed always the freeware textures first, and payware textures afterwards, as you canīt be really sure about freeware quality.

That way GEX textures replace the freewares, and if the GEX doesnīt replace something, at least the freewares do.

falcon409
December 28th, 2009, 11:09
Iīve installed always the freeware textures first, and payware textures afterwards, as you canīt be really sure about freeware quality.
That way GEX textures replace the freewares, and if the GEX doesnīt replace something, at least the freewares do.
. . .and therein lies the confusion on this. I woukld have to delve into the exact texture sets that GEX installs, but if you install the freeware sets first, then GEX. . .why bother with the freeware if GEX is going to overwrite them anyway. That was my question in the first place if these freeware textures are similar to the textures included with GEX, then it should be an "either/or" not both.:isadizzy:

Pronto91
December 28th, 2009, 12:20
If you install the freeware first, and then GEX, then the freeware textures become your backups to GEX. So if you don't like GEX you can fall back to the freeware textures....I think.

falcon409
December 28th, 2009, 16:39
If you install the freeware first, and then GEX, then the freeware textures become your backups to GEX. So if you don't like GEX you can fall back to the freeware textures....I think.
Which goes back to what I assumed in the beginning. . .the freeware textures are an "alternative" to GEX.

Bjoern
December 29th, 2009, 06:30
Which goes back to what I assumed in the beginning. . .the freeware textures are an "alternative" to GEX.

Well, you could still overwrite GEX's textures with them, however this means having to reinstall GEX if you don't like 'em.