PDA

View Full Version : Troutdale winds 12/26/2009

limjack
December 26th, 2009, 13:37
is a good day to fly just east of Portland if you want to feel the Wind. Take off from Troutdale airport in Oregon (USA) . Winds today are being reported 20-30mph sustained winds gusting to 60 if not higher in some locations according to the weather instruments I have been looking at. I used to live there and know the fiery of this wind and it does not back down for days. I used to hate garbage day in Troutdale…LOL..at the end of the day we would all be trading garbage cans and lids, good way to meet the neighbors.
So if you like flying in the wind, take a nice a...bumpy ride up the Columbia river gorge and back. Notice the wind sock in the pic, she is blowing like the flag blows in the wind:USA-flag:!

Jim

harleyman
December 26th, 2009, 13:59
The bumpier the better I always say..... :mixedsmi:

spotlope
December 26th, 2009, 14:12
Yep, Troutdale was my home airport when I learned to fly. It's positioned perfectly, aligned with the Gorge. In the winter, the icy winds come howling down the gorge and blanket east Portland with snow and ice at times. In summer, it's the reverse, with the wind funneling into the gorge from Portland. You can pretty much tell what season it is solely by which runway is in use. ;)

limjack
December 26th, 2009, 14:54
Can't wait to see what ORBXPacific Northwest does for this area.