PDA

View Full Version : Looking for advice on purchasing x3 Reunion

Craig Taylor
December 26th, 2009, 13:02
Hi all and Merry Christmas!

I noticed that Steam is offering X3 Reunion for $4.99 at the moment. Since I already have (and am deeply immersed in) Terran Conflict, I was wondering if I should pull the trigger on Reunion. Just looking for some honest opinions from the peanut gallery. :wavey:

I'm also wondering if this version is the latest. The picture displayed by the Steam store says "2.0" but the text doesn't really specify. Does anyone know if it's not, whether Steam will upgrade it to 2.0? It seemed to me that this was possible for boxed versions of TC...although I only had to go from 2.0 to 2.5. Just not sure about Steam...

I guess the final point would be whether the Steam-purchased version is upgradeable with mods and scripts? Anyone have experience with this?

Thanks.

Lionheart
December 26th, 2009, 14:07
I think there are other places online that sell games Craig. You might find it there and not have the restrictions that Steam has. Feng knows alot about purchasing and working with games that are purchased with Steam. He would be the one to know.

Bill

Lionheart
December 26th, 2009, 14:08
I should add that X3R is a horse of a different color. The game isnt as advanced as X3TC. The menu accesses are totally different. Its quite fun though....

Its like going from FS2004 to FS2002.

Bill

Marlin
December 26th, 2009, 15:28
I was thinking about doing the gold pack, but due to HD space limitations I decided not to go backwards.
Those two games together are something like 10GB right?

My two cents, but worth basically nothing due to the fact that I don't have X3R. Sorry :kilroy:

Craig Taylor
December 26th, 2009, 15:32
Its like going from FS2004 to FS2002.

Bill

:icon_lol: Thanks, Bill. That's what I figured. Part of me is saying "It's five bucks, what's the harm," but I don't think I'm interested if you can't mod it to give it some flexibility.

I've been playing another game I bought via Steam (Empire: Total War) and am aware of the limitations. Any download content or patches comes through Steam/Valve. It really makes you appreciate what we have with FS.

I might poke around on Egosoft's forum and see if I can learn anything different.

GT182
December 26th, 2009, 19:00
X3Reunion is quite fun actually and it can be modded. To me the menus in X3R are more user friendly. TC's menus take a bit of time to get used to. But that's only my 2cent opinion. ;)

gigabyte
December 26th, 2009, 19:09
:icon_lol: Thanks, Bill. That's what I figured. Part of me is saying "It's five bucks, what's the harm," but I don't think I'm interested if you can't mod it to give it some flexibility.

I've been playing another game I bought via Steam (Empire: Total War) and am aware of the limitations. Any download content or patches comes through Steam/Valve. It really makes you appreciate what we have with FS.

I might poke around on Egosoft's forum and see if I can learn anything different.

Craig, from a game play point of view Reunion is almost the same as Terran Conflict, the menus are nicer in TC, and the UI is slightly easier to navigate but essentially it is the same game. The game engine has not changed at all between the two, in reality TC is more like an enhancement than a new game. Reunion for $5.00 it is money well spent, and if you want to mod it I have seen posts that tell me Mods work fine with Steam Versions. The Vanilla version of Reunion would probably be a little bit of a let down compared to TC, however if you want Mods Reunion offers the most at the moment. I have 3 Mods running under Reunion (seperate installs so you need lots of disk space) and they are each very interesting. The whole Terran Conflict time line was actually based on a fan made Mod for Reunion the Xtended Mod and in some ways I like it better than TC, the Xtd jump gates are amazing. The other two I am messing with are Roguneys and DDRS, I have not gone very far in either of those yet but they look awsome. I also have the New Horizens Mod ready to load but have not got around to it yet.

In addition to all of the above there is the Apricot Mapping Service scripts for X3R, there are lots of things to add to the Vanilla game on that site, and a full blown AMS Mod for Terran Conflict that ties it altogether.

In short for $5.00 it is a good deal, as long as you have the disk space to customize your install. And from what I have read all of the updates and mods are compatible or available via Steam, but check the Ergosoft forum for specifics on that there is mention of steam in the Tech Section.

I am working on a review topic of the various Mods and will keep updating it, I am going to post the links to each as I review them so you should be able to find them easy enough, if you go for it.

Craig Taylor
December 27th, 2009, 11:00
Hey all,

Thanks for all the honest input. I think I'm going to restrain myself on this one. :mixedsmi:

Cheers,

GT182
December 27th, 2009, 14:49
Craig, you could add another HDD, one you're not using if you nave one all cleaned out, and put X3 on that. I've got a 2nd 200Gb HDD installed that only has some saved files for sims, A Program FIles folder for sims/games. Saves space on my #1 HDD, and they all play fine.

Craig Taylor
December 28th, 2009, 03:05
Hi Gary,

It's not a question of space. I've got a 2nd HD installed already, a 250 GB that's only about half full, with FSX, X3TC, and some extra FS files. I don't think I need the extra distraction. :icon_lol: I figure I already have plenty of games I don't play enough as it is. I don't want to add to the list.

gigabyte
December 28th, 2009, 05:48
Hi Gary,

It's not a question of space. I've got a 2nd HD installed already, a 250 GB that's only about half full, with FSX, X3TC, and some extra FS files. I don't think I need the extra distraction. :icon_lol: I figure I already have plenty of games I don't play enough as it is. I don't want to add to the list.

In reality you are not going to get a lot more out of having both, there are more Mods for Reunion right now, but like FS9 & FSX that will change and the Terran Conflict Mod list is growing rapidly.

I do like 2 of the Mods for Reunion that have not been updated to Terran Conflict but I am sure they will be.

Best of luck out there Craig, and hope to see you around the Cosmos...

Live Long and Prosper...

Mobayrasta
December 28th, 2009, 06:06
X3R seems to be a waste to me. I only play X3TC while Reunion sits alone on my hard drive. Terran Conflict is just reunion with more stuff added. I agree that there are a few mods that you can use with X3R but most of the big ones have all ready been ported over.

Boomer
January 4th, 2010, 09:05
I am a bit late for this party but heres my .02.

I got the Gold version & put the TC on my desktop & X3R on my laptop. Last night I played X3R for the 1st time for about an hour. I uninstalled it & put TC on my laptop as well.

I like the interface & "feel" of TC much better.

Craig Taylor
January 4th, 2010, 11:48
Hi, Bob,

No worries. In the end I decided not to purchase. It seemed like X3R was going to be redundant anyway. I picked up Sid Meier's Civ IV Complete instead - yay, a new distraction. :icon_lol: There were some nice bargains going on at Steam over the last few weeks.

Lionheart
January 4th, 2010, 22:14
I like the interface & "feel" of TC much better.

Same here.. I just cant get into X3R after playing in X3TC...

Bill

GT182
January 5th, 2010, 03:59
I guess I'm the odd one out..... I like Reunion more than TC. I guess it's because I've been messing around with it more trying to get the Apricot Slavage Mod v1.1 working as it should for X3R.

gigabyte
January 5th, 2010, 14:33
I actually like them both, there are some amazing mods for Reunion, especially the Xtended Nod, the enhanced eye candy and additional ships and sectors are amazing...

You know what they say to each his own.

GT182
January 5th, 2010, 17:02
Well, I did it. I finally got the AMS Gunbus Mod into TC. Al I can say is... WOW! Owner of 18 ships, some credits, loads of freight, and one hot Gunbuss fighter. Reunion is shelved for the duration. ;) LOL

gigabyte
January 5th, 2010, 17:15
Well, I did it. I finally got the AMS Gunbus Mod into TC. Al I can say is... WOW! Owner of 18 ships, some credits, loads of freight, and one hot Gunbuss fighter. Reunion is shelved for the duration. ;) LOL

Now you are talkin GT, AMS is amazing, I have not been able to pull myself away from it since early Dec. Make sure you take a spin in the Vidarsaurus, that is one Kool ship.

GT182
January 5th, 2010, 17:24
Make sure you take a spin in the Vidarsaurus, that is one Kool ship.

I'm starting in Argon Prime.... as a test to see how things go. ;) As soon as I find it it'll give it a go Mike.

I could not believe when I first poped into the cockpit, looked around, and saw what was out there. All these ships just waiting for my orders and I haven't a clue where to begin. Sell here or move out to another sector and sell. It's mind boggling.

And yes.... I can now confirm I'm Xadicted. Ahhhh, what's up Doc. And look out Marvin the Martian....here we come! :bump: