PDA

View Full Version : G1000 Range button in Quest Kodiak

bpieke
December 25th, 2009, 22:06
I'm just finding my way around in the cockpit of my brand new Kodiak.

Question to the Kodiak drivers out there: Is it just me or is the range knob on the G1000 and MFD wired backwards? Range+ should give greater range, not greater zoom.. I would have thought.

I hope it is just me fumbling around...

Bert

Lionheart
December 25th, 2009, 22:48
I'm just finding my way around in the cockpit of my brand new Kodiak.

Question to the Kodiak drivers out there: Is it just me or is the range knob on the G1000 and MFD wired backwards? Range+ should give greater range, not greater zoom.. I would have thought.

I hope it is just me fumbling around...

Bert

Hey Bert,

We were told this last year, so we reversed it for him. I hope it is proper now.

:d

Bill

bpieke
December 26th, 2009, 08:09
Hi Bill,

Great plane at an equally great Christmas price!

The aircraft I just downloaded has the Range button wired backwards, so not sure if this is still changing or if it was OK before...

The gauge code is all XML, so I could go in and swap the two clickspots for my personal use, but I'm surprised that the other "pilots" out there would not be complaining if this indeed is faulty wiring..

Bert

Lionheart
December 26th, 2009, 09:33
Hi Bill,

Great plane at an equally great Christmas price!

The aircraft I just downloaded has the Range button wired backwards, so not sure if this is still changing or if it was OK before...

The gauge code is all XML, so I could go in and swap the two clickspots for my personal use, but I'm surprised that the other "pilots" out there would not be complaining if this indeed is faulty wiring..

Bert

Hey Bert,

Yep, fairly easy to switch the code around.

We had one person complain loudly about it, and so we changed it. My gauge programmer said it was indeed backwards and changed it. But that makes a total of two now since its release.

Its difficult to figure out really unless you see the actual instrument in real life, as the plus and minus could be defined both ways, zooming in with plus symbol, or 'expanding' the view point with the plus sign.

Bill

bpieke
December 26th, 2009, 09:45
OK, I guess I'll have to reverse two wires behind the panel... can do.

Not to be picky, but all the other Garmins in FSX have Range+ as expanding the range (same as the Garmin Trainer), so once you get used to that, you would expect to see the same behavior..

This is a minor issue which I can handle, so no big deal.

As per my other post, I'm less excited about the mouse wheel support... is there a possble fix for this, or am I on my own... (hope not)...

Bert

Lionheart
December 26th, 2009, 09:50
Hey Bert,

On the mouse wheel, I'll contact my gauge guru and see what he can do. Mind you, its Christmas. I sent him a Merry Christmas and havent hear back from him, so he may be at his Sons home, snowed in and enjoying the quiet, so it could be a week or so before I hear from him.

Bill

bpieke
December 26th, 2009, 10:08
Super, lets stay in touch, because my XML programming skills are limited and in this case will consist mainly of copying strings from the FSX C172 G1000 gauge... So some professional help will most definitely be welcome, even if it is a snippet of code via e-mail.

Bert

bpieke
December 27th, 2009, 20:18
Quick update:

I've been able to make the mousewheel changes to the G1000 PFD, as well as reversing the clickspots for the Range knob in the PFD.

If anyone would like a copy to test, send me an e-mail

bpieke at gmail dot com

Bert

bpieke
December 27th, 2009, 22:01
Hey Bert,

We were told this last year, so we reversed it for him. I hope it is proper now.

:d

Bill

Hi Bill,

Just to complete the discussion:

In the Kodiak, as shipped, the Range button is correct in the MFD, but backwards in the PFD.

The fix I've made, is for the PFD only, so now the two units operate consistently.