PDA

View Full Version : Aviation related x-mas presents, what did you get.

ian elliot
December 25th, 2009, 07:58
Thought id start the ball rolling, friend at work got me this, really nice model from Corgi,
merry x-mas everyone, cheers ian

OBIO
December 25th, 2009, 08:08
Last month, when NCGent had all of his TopFlightSimulations aircraft for sale as a package, Deb told me to buy it as part of my Christmas present. Not sure, but I think my mother-in-law got me Flyboys on DVD.

OBIO

itgamer
December 25th, 2009, 08:12
My poor wife may never see me again..

Saitek Pro Flight Yoke System and Saitek Pro Flight Pedals....
Sweet... although I am a bit surprised at how much of a diff. it really makes..its bloody harder.. which I think is good... must be a realism thing.

Happy Holidays to all! God Bless!

smilo
December 25th, 2009, 08:45
I put in a request for a TrackR
but haven't seen it...
'sokay, times is tight

TeaSea
December 25th, 2009, 08:49
I got an airplane...

No kidding.

I win.....

Tako_Kichi
December 25th, 2009, 11:03
I got an airplane...
Me too!

....but mines only a 1:72 Airfix kit of a Lysander from my daughter.

Bjoern
December 25th, 2009, 11:24
I bought myself a book about the pilot profession.

And that's about it.

djscoo
December 25th, 2009, 12:23
This (http://www.amazon.com/Flight-Aviation-R-G-Grant/dp/0756619025/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1261776153&sr=8-1) <-link

srgalahad
December 25th, 2009, 12:38
That's a lovely book!

Me? Track IR 5 (enroute from the supplier, due Tuesday)

GT182
December 25th, 2009, 13:01
Not sure if this qualifies but it will sure help flying FSX. New Hannspree 23" widescreen 5ms LCD monitor. Wow... want a difference from a square 19" LCD. Now I can run my resolution at full tilt.... 1920x1080. :d

Merry Christmas everyone, and I hope you got some great stuff. Looks like those that posted ahead of me did great too. :applause:

Edit:
I almost forgot. Capt. Gano gave all his ground crew copies of "Read Eagles - America's Secret Migs" by Steve Davies. I've read into the first part of chapter 2 and this is quite a book. Mostly political, but it gives a great account of the training and learning curve for US pilots to beat the Russian Migs in Vietnam.

Willy
December 25th, 2009, 17:23
Mrs Willy got me the book "First Light" by Geoffrey Wellum. It's the author's memoirs of being a Spitfire pilot during the Battle of Britain.

http://www.amazon.com/First-Light-Geoffrey-Wellum/dp/047142627X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1261794124&sr=1-1

She know how I am about anything Spitfire...

GT182
December 25th, 2009, 18:19
That's great Willy. I've yet to meet a current Spitfire pilot based not far away from me. He had to have the engine torn down last August so he didn't make the invite I sent to him for to our local Wings of Freedom Tour, to put his Spit on display with TP-51C Betty Jane. Hopefully he'll be able to be with us for next August. Or, I'll hopefully see him before that in June at MAAM's WWII Weekend.

TARPSBird
December 25th, 2009, 18:29
Aviation-related as it will greatly improve my flight sim enjoyment, my son sent me a do-it-yourself upgrade package of computer hardware:
Intel Pentium Dual Core E5200 Processor
Gigabyte G41M-ES2L Motherboard
ULTRA 2048MB PC5400 DDR2 memory stick
Seagate ST9120315AS Momentus 120GB HD
LG GH22NS50AUAU CD/DVD Writer
Apex PC-319 Black Mid-Tower Case w/ 300W PSU
Now all I gotta do is put the stuff together without accidentally opening any smoke containers, if ya know what I mean. ;) My son assures me he will serve as my telephone tech support.

GT182
December 25th, 2009, 18:32
TARPS, it's as easy as pie. If I can do it, so can you. Just take your time and read the destructions a few times. You finish yours and you'll be wanting to build more of em. ;) LOL

Piglet
December 26th, 2009, 01:19
I got nothing, but then again, I asked for nothing.
Just glad it's all over. :applause:

Cazzie
December 26th, 2009, 02:51
Well, I got money, which I hope to use for a Track IR 5 or 4.

And I got two plastic models, a 1/32 scale Roden SE5 and a 1/48 scale Eduard Fokker D.VII dual-Pack (two complete planes).

And I may start back building, because I got a GHOSTS calendar that I did not get last year. I cannot build models without the inspiration of my GHOSTS calendars. :icon_lol:

Caz

jmig
December 26th, 2009, 05:10
I got clothes!

smilo
December 26th, 2009, 05:40
...well, as it turned out, I got a
'we'll get you a trackR for your birthday'
which is very cool
I can wait for a few weeks.

Trans_23
December 26th, 2009, 07:45
I got a 1/32 scale plastic model kit of a YF-22. Time to go to the hobby store and buy paint and glue.

Daveroo
December 26th, 2009, 09:35
for once i got want i asked for..:salute: Col Bud Anderson's F105 Thud,,it too is called "old Crow" he flew it in the early 70s..the plane was distroied in a mid - air collision in 1974,,,,now all i need is for him to autograpgh my P51 and this F105 and ill be happy,he doesnt do the airshows like Yeager though..i wish he would....ive met Anderson three times..twice with my grandfather when i was a kid and didnty understand who i was meeting..and once as an adult,but didnt ave a chance to talk to him..he ,Yeager,boyington and a tussgeegy pilot were all in auburn for a meet and great was a great day but no time for one on one..Bud Anderson was my grandfathers insurance salesman for many years..the two times i met him i sat at his desk..and i remember seeing airplanes and him saying he flew planes...but i was to young to realise what a impact he had on those planes...i wish my grandfather was more awhare then too....lol

ps..does anyone know if they make a P39 in the BU number of his from tonapha??

Lionheart
December 26th, 2009, 09:56
Well, I got myself something, lol.. I had always wanted CFS2 and put it off for years. Well, I thought, I'll purchase it and put it under the tree. (bad, huh, lol).

Well, I could only find an open package for sale on Ebay, $10.00, and I got it in a few days ago. Wrapped it, kept it till yesterday, ripped that paper off, installed it.. and it wouldnt run, lololol..

arrgh.

I guess the DirectX 9.c has issues with it and will actually lock up my computer.

At least now I can say I have it. :d

Oh well.

ian elliot
December 26th, 2009, 10:17
Edit:
I almost forgot. Capt. Gano gave all his ground crew copies of "Read Eagles - America's Secret Migs" by Steve Davies. I've read into the first part of chapter 2 and this is quite a book. Mostly political, but it gives a great account of the training and learning curve for US pilots to beat the Russian Migs in Vietnam.<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

I was in a book shop in London last January and i remember thumbing through this book and thinking how intresting it looked, it was hardback and cost about £30 so i did'nt buy it, but ive been hoping it'll turn up as paperback but ive never seen it scince.
cheers ian

Joe P
December 26th, 2009, 10:23
This is what I bought for my 3 year old nephew.

http://store.playmobilusa.com/on/demandware.store/Sites-US-Site/en_US/Product-Show?pid=4445&cgid=Polizei

GT182
December 26th, 2009, 10:33
Sorry Ian for the misspelling of Red Eagles. I didn't see that untill it was too late to edit it. :redface: Price on my copy is $25.95 US and 30.00 Canadian. I'll ask and see if I can get another copy if you'd like. Can't guarrantee I can get one but I'll try.

I t is a pretty good book. These pilots flying the Migs ended up totally into the Russian pilot frame of mind, and they were a bit on the nutty side too. LOL

This training and going up against Mig-21s that the US had aquired sure helped save our pilots bacon in the long run. It was said that a US pilot would more than likely die before he could get 10 missions flown while flying combat over N. Vietnam. This traing gave them that 10 mission experience so the very first combat flight they flew they already had the 10 missions of needed experience flown.

MaddogK
December 26th, 2009, 11:23
I got 2 plane tickets to Cancun, with 10 paid in advance days on the beach.
:wiggle:

ian elliot
December 26th, 2009, 13:23
Sorry Ian for the misspelling of Red Eagles. I didn't see that untill it was too late to edit it. :redface: Price on my copy is $25.95 US and 30.00 Canadian. I'll ask and see if I can get another copy if you'd like. Can't guarrantee I can get one but I'll try.

Dont worry about finding a copy GT, its bound to turn up here sooner or later, but thanks for the offer.
cheers ian

TeaSea
December 26th, 2009, 15:41
Me too!

....but mines only a 1:72 Airfix kit of a Lysander from my daughter.

If it's from your daughter....it's priceless...

TeaSea
December 26th, 2009, 15:43
I got nothing, but then again, I asked for nothing.
Just glad it's all over. :applause:

What? No celebration of the solstice?

Even I celebrate that, and I'm a Southern Baptist.:icon_lol:

djscoo
December 26th, 2009, 16:01
What? No celebration of the solstice?

Even I celebrate that, and I'm a Southern Baptist.:icon_lol:

Piglet celebrates Festivus.

Tako_Kichi
December 26th, 2009, 17:42
If it's from your daughter....it's priceless...
Well it's a bit special seeing as this year is the first year she's been using her own hard earned cash to buy presents thanks to a part-time, after-school and weekends, job she got a few months back.

mrogers
December 26th, 2009, 18:05
I didn't get anything aviation related for christmas, but I feel I should share this. About 3 months ago I had the privilege of getting to know an old spitfire pilot, 88 years old and still in reasonable health, and works on his own farm still. As I was very interested in aviation, I listened to him tell me about the virtues of the Spitfire IXs that he flew in WW2.His admiration and respect for the spitfire was obvious to me.
Its not often nowadays that I meet an old WW2 Spitfire veteran.

Piglet
December 26th, 2009, 19:42
Piglet celebrates Festivus

Wanna see my pole?:applause:

srgalahad
December 27th, 2009, 00:30

..and just why would we want to Czech your Pole? :wiggle:

lefty
December 27th, 2009, 00:58
Got this - ahh, the good old days...........

cheezyflier
December 27th, 2009, 03:22

i'll give you credit, that was funny :applause: