PDA

View Full Version : A few Lionhearts Kodiak questions!

J van E
December 25th, 2009, 02:33
I purchased the Kodiak (incredible christmas deal!!!) and I've got a few questions. (I understood the dev visits this forum frequently (?).)
EDIT: I think I found some answers in the meantime, so I edited some questions. If I am wrong, I am sure someone will let me know. ;)

1. The Condition lever: the manual says you should set it at 40% during starting and taxiing and at 100% during take off. But the manual says nothing about what to do with it then... Should you leave it at 100% all the way? Or doesn't it only look like a mixture but do you also have to treat is as such?

2. (ANSWERED: I need to watch TRQ for throttle and NP (RPM) for prop. I would still like to know what the normal numbers are! And btw the throttle needs to be pretty low in order not to overspeed! I am constanly cruising at top speed with TRQ way down in the green.)
I am a bit confused with the throttle and the blue prop control knob. The manual says that blue knob control prop RPM but also prop Torque... So... I should monitor the Torque for the latter, and I suppose that's the TRQ on the ECIAS...? But it seems TRQ shows the throttle control and the NP (rpm) shows the blue knob readout... Where should I focus on when using the throttle and where should I focus on when using the blue knob? And what are the usual readouts I should aim for? For the Cessna (for instance) I know the numbers, but I don't know the usual numbers for the Kodiak.

3. (ANSWERED: now I know that I've got to watch the NP (RPM) setting the prop is easier. Although I am surprised at how low I can set it.)
What makes question 2 a bit complicated is that it seems the blue knob can be pulled completely back to full feather without any problems during flight... Is that normal? On other aircraft you quicly get a different readout when you pull the prop lever, but it seems that on the Kodiak large movements have little impact...?

4. When I click on the Surface prop knob the Engine inlet bypass goes up...? (The Surface knob doesn't move.) What does that Inlet knob do anyway?

5. When I click on Icelight on the Landing light goes on (and vice versa)...? (They both move.)

6. When I click on the Pitot knobs they both move...?

7. (ANSWERED: Seems all knobs I mentioned are also dummies, apart from the Aux fuel pump: you can hear the pump pumping. I only need this one during take off and during landing, right...? Or should I also turn it on during startup? Not using the knob at all won't give any problems, it seems, but it's nice to do it all as realistic as possible ;) ).
Some knobs are dummies, according to the manual (Ailerion, Emergency, Aux bus (although the manual says you have to click it... but it is linked with the Master knob...?), Igniter switch (called Ignition) and the APU Generator (called Generator)). But what about the Alternator switch...? Does it do anything? And the Aux fuel pump? And Artex Elt (whatever that is)? And Oxygen...?

8. (ANSWERED: I see you enter Pan mode when you press the Range knob... Stupid me.)
The range button on the map display doesn't always work...? Every now and then I am stuck at a certain level... Is there a reason for that?

9. (ANSWERED: I read in the Kodiak GPS tutorial 90 knots is a good approach speed ("don't let the Kodiak go below 90 kts or it will develop a nose high altitude"): 60 knots is stall/flare speed.)
The manual says I have to land at 60 60 knots at normal altitude. My plane is almost empty, but when I approach at even 80 knots the plane sinks to the ground, with full flaps. I really have to keep the speed high in order not to sink too soon...

Nice plane nonetheless. :icon_lol: Wish I had a POH for it which explains everything! I really like to go into detail, but the manual seems to skim the surface. Maybe someone knows links to (legal) pdf-manuals/POH/performance charts/etc for this plane...?

harleyman
December 25th, 2009, 02:37
Welcome to SOH....

Being Christmad morning he may not show for a while..maybe not till tommorrow..

BUT our very own Bill (Lionheart) I am sure can and will answer all your questions for you...Just be patient...He is very good at customer support.

J van E
December 25th, 2009, 06:49
Thanks for the welcome! And I am patient: I didn't expect instant support this christmas. :icon_lol: Anyway, I'm glad to know this is the right forum for my questions! :salute:

harleyman
December 25th, 2009, 06:55
You are indeed in the right place...

This is his second home...

Look uo in the sticky threads here too..he has numerous posts about his work and updates too...

Now I don't see any...Do a search on his name here and you will find complets tutorials too on his glass guages too

Chacha
December 25th, 2009, 06:58
Thanks for the welcome! And I am patient: I didn't expect instant support this christmas. :icon_lol: Anyway, I'm glad to know this is the right forum for my questions! :salute:

Hello J van E,

Welcome to the out-house.... Happy Holidays...

I believe that there is a read me instructions complete with visual effects in there... Be patient to read it and it is self explanatory....

I do not read read me's so I am really bad at learning the HARD way...

Congratulations on your KODIAK purchase, You will really love this bird, Fun to fly....

Our very own Bill (Lionheart) always pops up here.... He has the most posts in here, so you need not to wait longer...:running:

And YES, follow what Harleyman said ;)

J van E
December 25th, 2009, 08:00
Thanks all! I couldn't find any tutorials over here (using the name Lionheart), but I am progressing nonetheless (see the answers I posted into my own OP ;) ). I just did a short flight and even managed to load a GPS approach. As soon as I had the runway in sight, I took over and managed to land the plane perfectly (without sinking to the ground :P ). This is indeed a GREAT plane to fly! I really love to have ALL information in the VC: no need to open popup windows etc. Really great! And btw I also really like the idea behind/history off this aircraft (I am flying the MAF Cargo version!).

cheezyflier
December 25th, 2009, 09:08
the kodiak is the best add-on to come out this year, (imo) and you're going to love it once you get to know it. you do need to carry a little speed coming over the fence, but it's not that big of a deal because the reverser is strong. it puts the woah on in a hurry. the manual that comes with it is pretty helpful. (at least it was for me)
you almost never need more that 1 notch of flaps and 1/2 throttle to take off, unless you're loaded down heavy on a short strip. the kodiak has mondo power. oh, and look at the add-on section. there's a ton of paints for it.
one thing is an absolute must - get the banana bob prop. it makes a great model even better.

6297J
December 25th, 2009, 09:16
one thing is an absolute must - get the banana bob prop. it makes a great model even better.

I agree. Some great repaints for it here (they include the prop replacement) - http://forum.siminsider.co.uk/viewforum.php?f=20

J van E
December 25th, 2009, 09:52
the manual that comes with it is pretty helpful. (at least it was for me)

Hm, the manual didn't help me enough... (hence all the questions!). :icon_lol: I like manuals and specially when they explain every single knob and switch and come with charts (like what is the usual rpm and trq etc.)... The site said it should be jam packed with diagrams but I don't see any. (BTW I've got another question: how does the VS on the AP work exactly...? When I press the VS x100 button, I see a 1 and when I click I get a 9...? The manual doesn't say much about the AP.)

I downloaded the prop: took some searching (it wasn't in the prop-forum), but I found it in this topic (http://forum.siminsider.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=423)! Can't wait to give it a try!

BTW Don't mistake all my questions for complaining! I really love the plane and specially for the incredible (christmas)price I paid for it... It's the bargain of the year for me!

harleyman
December 25th, 2009, 10:45
Bill actually has a whole new tutioral on the AP for this..He will offer it up to you on his return back..

I have no clue where it is..but its here somewhere ...

Myself..i just fire them up and go....

J van E
December 25th, 2009, 11:08
Sounds cool (that new tutorial)! I'll be waiting patiently... checking this forum every minute or so, haha! :bump:

Just did another flight: it's an awesome plane! (But I did come up with yet another question, sorry! :P Is there any indication on any of the panels when you have reverse thrust on?) And o yes, bob's prop is awesome too! Indeed a must have. (I am also thinking about installing his MAF paint, but the readme says the files have to be converted in order to work with FSX...?) Aaaaah, I love it when I have so many questions... Life can be boring when you know it all. :icon_lol:

6297J
December 25th, 2009, 11:16
And o yes, bob's prop is awesome too! Indeed a must have. (I am also thinking about installing his MAF paint, but the readme says the files have to be converted in order to work with FSX...?)

''This is a photoreal paint for Lionheart Creations Ltd. Kodiak for FSX, this paint will only work in FSX unless they are converted'' :mixedsmi:

northtexas
December 25th, 2009, 11:20
I also have a Kodiak question.
My problem is with the ailerons. Normally, in a turn, once the angle of bank is achieved the ailerons are returned to neutral and bank is maintained. To rollout ailerons are deflected in the opposite direction. All the default planes and my other aircraft add-ons including the Viking are modeled that way but with the Kodiak the aileron deflection has to be maintained in order to maintain the bank.

J van E
December 25th, 2009, 11:22
''This is a photoreal paint for Lionheart Creations Ltd. Kodiak for FSX, this paint will only work in FSX unless they are converted'' :mixedsmi:

Yes, thanks, I read that :icon_lol: but I still don't understand it... (Maybe it's because English is not my native language). But it doesn't matter because I installed the files and it works. And BOY does it look GOOD!!! I will donate a few bob to bob tomorrow! :icon_lol:

Oooooooo, wait a minute, I understand it now, haha! The files ONLY work in FSX. Period. If you want to use them in FS2004 they have to be converted. I was putting the emphasis on the wrong part of the sentence, lol...

Well, I think I better slow down a bit here, because I am beginning to make a (hyperactive) fool of myself. :jump: I really am a laidback and relaxed person, believe me... :running::running::running:

6297J
December 25th, 2009, 11:31
Yes, thanks, I read that :icon_lol: but I still don't understand it... (Maybe it's because English is not my native language). But it doesn't matter because I installed the files and it works. And BOY does it look GOOD!!! I will donate a few bob to bob tomorrow! :icon_lol:

Oooooooo, wait a minute, I understand it now, haha! The files ONLY work in FSX. Period. If you want to use them in FS2004 they have to be converted. I was putting the emphasis on the wrong part of the sentence, lol...

Well, I think I better slow down a bit here, because I am beginning to make a (hyperactive) fool of myself. :jump: I really am a laidback and relaxed person, believe me... :running::running::running:

:icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol:

There are some great repaints there, for this and other addons. Have a ball!!

cheezyflier
December 25th, 2009, 11:58
hit shift + 8 to get the bendix a/p and set your vertical speed and altitude from there.

http://randazza.files.wordpress.com/2009/02/easy-button.jpg

J van E
December 25th, 2009, 12:22
hit shift + 8 to get the bendix a/p and set your vertical speed and altitude from there.
One of the reasons I like this plane is the fact that I can do everything in the VC: I hate 'shift + # windows'. :wavey: And I like to do things the way they are done in real life (as far as possible of course). So no, I won't hit shift + 8, but thanks for the tip anyway. :ernae: :icon_lol:
BTW: About Bob's (really awesome) repaints: I noticed you can order a high resolution pack of Bob's textures for 2 dollars on the Kodiak site. Do I miss anything when I don't order that pack but simply download what I like from Bob's forum? I'm not asking this because of the money (because I just donated 5 bucks to him before I remembered that pack... :salute: :icon_lol: ) but I just would like to know if I should get that pack anyway or not.

Cazzie
December 25th, 2009, 13:03
Just to confirm B'Bob's Paints, you get your $$ worth! :applause::applause::applause:

Lionheart
December 25th, 2009, 18:10
Hello J van E,

Welcome to the Sim Outhouse.

Sorry not to catch your thread earlier today.

I'll try to answer these as best as possible.

I purchased the Kodiak (incredible christmas deal!!!) and I've got a few questions. (I understood the dev visits this forum frequently (?).)
EDIT: I think I found some answers in the meantime, so I edited some questions. If I am wrong, I am sure someone will let me know. ;)

1. The Condition lever: the manual says you should set it at 40% during starting and taxiing and at 100% during take off. But the manual says nothing about what to do with it then... Should you leave it at 100% all the way? Or doesn't it only look like a mixture but do you also have to treat is as such?

You only use the condition lever at lower levels for when you do not require 'full torque/RPM'. For instance, on the ground, when taxiing, you would use say 50% Condition lever. At takeoff and at landing, you would use 100% condition lever.

2. (ANSWERED: I need to watch TRQ for throttle and NP (RPM) for prop. I would still like to know what the normal numbers are! And btw the throttle needs to be pretty low in order not to overspeed! I am constanly cruising at top speed with TRQ way down in the green.)
I am a bit confused with the throttle and the blue prop control knob. The manual says that blue knob control prop RPM but also prop Torque... So... I should monitor the Torque for the latter, and I suppose that's the TRQ on the ECIAS...? But it seems TRQ shows the throttle control and the NP (rpm) shows the blue knob readout... Where should I focus on when using the throttle and where should I focus on when using the blue knob? And what are the usual readouts I should aim for? For the Cessna (for instance) I know the numbers, but I don't know the usual numbers for the Kodiak.

3. (ANSWERED: now I know that I've got to watch the NP (RPM) setting the prop is easier. Although I am surprised at how low I can set it.)
What makes question 2 a bit complicated is that it seems the blue knob can be pulled completely back to full feather without any problems during flight... Is that normal? On other aircraft you quicly get a different readout when you pull the prop lever, but it seems that on the Kodiak large movements have little impact...?

4. When I click on the Surface prop knob the Engine inlet bypass goes up...? (The Surface knob doesn't move.) What does that Inlet knob do anyway?

I am not familiar with the 'surface prop knob'. Do you mean the Prop Deice by chance? If so, I had to tie that into an existing FSX function. The Kodiak does have a special bypass system which is for when you have ice conditions, hail, etc, which would damage the intake impellar of the turbine engine, thus the bypass scatters out debris before it can enter the turbine.

5. When I click on Icelight on the Landing light goes on (and vice versa)...? (They both move.)

This had to be rerouted as FSX doesnt have a 'Ice Light' function, so I merged it with the Landing Lights. (Similar function).

6. When I click on the Pitot knobs they both move...?

Yes. FSX doesnt have 2 Pitot Knob functionalities, only one, so it was merged into the first one, thus both move.

7. (ANSWERED: Seems all knobs I mentioned are also dummies, apart from the Aux fuel pump: you can hear the pump pumping. I only need this one during take off and during landing, right...? Or should I also turn it on during startup? Not using the knob at all won't give any problems, it seems, but it's nice to do it all as realistic as possible ;) ).
Some knobs are dummies, according to the manual (Ailerion, Emergency, Aux bus (although the manual says you have to click it... but it is linked with the Master knob...?), Igniter switch (called Ignition) and the APU Generator (called Generator)). But what about the Alternator switch...? Does it do anything? And the Aux fuel pump? And Artex Elt (whatever that is)? And Oxygen...?

8. (ANSWERED: I see you enter Pan mode when you press the Range knob... Stupid me.)
The range button on the map display doesn't always work...? Every now and then I am stuck at a certain level... Is there a reason for that?

9. (ANSWERED: I read in the Kodiak GPS tutorial 90 knots is a good approach speed ("don't let the Kodiak go below 90 kts or it will develop a nose high altitude"): 60 knots is stall/flare speed.)
The manual says I have to land at 60 60 knots at normal altitude. My plane is almost empty, but when I approach at even 80 knots the plane sinks to the ground, with full flaps. I really have to keep the speed high in order not to sink too soon...

Altitude conditions and weight and fuel levels will govern your lowest stall speeds. When I was testing it, it wasnt a fully laden plane and was at sea level (Seattle Tacoma International Airport) in FS2004). There, I retuned the flaps and landing speeds where I thought it was more realistic. The original Kodiak will actually assume a slightly 'nose down' stance when at full flaps in a STOL approach. I thought it looked unrealistic and also wanted the plane to be able to 'nose up' on slow STOL approaches, so I retuned it for that.

Nice plane nonetheless. :icon_lol: Wish I had a POH for it which explains everything! I really like to go into detail, but the manual seems to skim the surface. Maybe someone knows links to (legal) pdf-manuals/POH/performance charts/etc for this plane...?

I have requested this from Quest Aircraft, but obtaining an actual manual is a bit difficult. One must also realise that Flight Simulator X can only replicate 'so much' detail and not 'all' of the actual aircraft. Besides, recreating 'all' systems might take one to two years to create such an elaborate model.

I hope you enjoy it. Any more questions, just let me know. I do have a personal help email if you ever need to use that. Its; help@lionheartcreations dot com.

northtexas
December 25th, 2009, 19:20
I also have a Kodiak question.
My problem is with the ailerons. Normally, in a turn, once the angle of bank is achieved the ailerons are returned to neutral and bank is maintained. To rollout ailerons are deflected in the opposite direction. All the default planes and my other aircraft add-ons including the Viking are modeled that way but with the Kodiak the aileron deflection has to be maintained in order to maintain the bank.

I think my question got buried. :mixedsmi:

Lionheart
December 25th, 2009, 19:39
I think my question got buried. :mixedsmi:

Sorry about that NorthTexas,

I have recieved another feedback on that issue also. Many say that most all planes will hold a bank when you turn the yoke and then return it to neutral. I sort of decided I wanted it to return to neutral being a highwing design. My dad who had a ton of flight time always said that a plane that is trimmed out will usually always return to flat out flight and hold a course under normal circumstances, and so thats what I did with the Kodiak.

Now, how I got her to do this, I do not know, as I usually work on many tunes at once in the airfiles, but there is surely a way to tune that setting right back in.

When things cool down (work load wise) I could offer a airfile that has the 'hold bank angle' handling characteristic in it.

Bill
LHC

northtexas
December 25th, 2009, 20:17

When things cool down (work load wise) I could offer a airfile that has the 'hold bank angle' handling characteristic in it.

Bill
LHC

Thanks Bill...that would be great!

wilycoyote4
December 25th, 2009, 21:13
........ I sort of decided I wanted it to return to neutral being a highwing design. My dad who had a ton of flight time always said that a plane that is trimmed out will usually always return to flat out flight and hold a course under normal circumstances, and so thats what I did with the Kodiak..........
Bill LHC
My opinion is that you are correct. I prefer the current air file on this point. Thank you for the sale. It's in my hangar now and I find it very interesting.
:icon29::guinness:

Smokey Joe
December 25th, 2009, 21:17
My opinion is that you are correct. I prefer the current air file on this point. Thank you for the sale. It's in my hangar now and I find it very interesting.

Yep, I agree. Don't change a thing. I'm over St. Lucia right now at 7,000 ft in the Kodiak, and I have no complaints.

J van E
December 26th, 2009, 00:51
Thanks for all the information! Of course I still have a few questions... :jump:

Welcome to the Sim Outhouse.

Thanks!

Sorry not to catch your thread earlier today.

No problem at all, of course: it's still christmas!!! And even if it wasn't, I really can be patient! :icon_lol:

At takeoff and at landing, you would use 100% condition lever.

So... during flight it apparently stays at 100%...? (Just to be sure... )

I am not familiar with the 'surface prop knob'. Do you mean the Prop Deice by chance?

Yes, well, in MY Kodiak the knob really IS called surface/prop and not prop deice... :icon_lol: :wiggle: But I understand how all knobs 'interact'. (And thanks for explaining the bypass system: it's information like that which I really, really love!)

And I fully understand about the manuals and so on: that's always a problem.

Harleyman mentioned you have a new autopilot tutorial and some interesting sticky posts that apparently aren't there anymore (?): where can I get that tutorial and where are those interesting sticky posts?

Lionheart
December 26th, 2009, 01:32
Harleyman mentioned you have a new autopilot tutorial and some interesting sticky posts that apparently aren't there anymore (?): where can I get that tutorial and where are those interesting sticky posts?

J van E

Hey J van E,

I think HarleyMan meant the Epic LT, which has a 2nd generation auto pilot that has a voice system now. It had some entire systems fitted into the gauge code as well, so it required all new tutorials in the manual.

The Kodiak's autopilot is the same. It's section on managing it in the manual should be pretty adequate.

As for stickies on the Kodiak, I think that expired. It was the launch Sticky. Thats the only one I know of. It would be extreme to try to go through all 25 or 30 pages of posts to find info you need.

If you have any questions though, please keep them coming. You can also email me personally at william at lionheartcreations dot com.

J van E
December 26th, 2009, 02:26
Thanks for the VERY quick answer!

"The Kodiak's autopilot is the same. It's section on managing it in the manual should be pretty adequate."

Er... the same as...? I thought you meant the same as the Epic AP, but I downloaded the Epic manual and it's clearly a different AP. :icon_lol: And I only have one page in my Kodiak manual about the AP and it only has some info about how to set things up (HDG and ALT) using the PFD screen but nothing about the S-Tec 5-50 itself...?

But don't worry, I am beginning to understand the AP (specially the VS part) anyway. :icon_lol: As usual just spending some time pressing things clarifies a lot. Well, at least I know now that pressing the VS x100 button when ALT is activated sets how much you gain or lose alt per minute while descending or ascending. You can clearly see that on the alt tape on the PFD screen too. The only thing I don't understand is what the VS buttons does... When NAV and ALT are on and I press VS, NAV and ALT turns off... but when I press NAV and ALT again, VS stays on too...? And also, when I decrease to -9, I get -1 instead of -10 and it won't go any further? I suppose that's simply the limit?

But never mind, I know how the most important things work now anyway.:applause: I don't want to spoil your second christmas day with all my questions, so feel free to ignore me, haha! :icon_lol:

BTW I had a look at a youtube movie of the kodiak and the cockpit is exactly the same as it is in real life. Man, I really LOVE that! :applause:

northtexas
December 26th, 2009, 08:29

I believe Bill was referring to an optional air file.
By the way I just purchased the Epic LT...another excellent airplane.

Lionheart
December 26th, 2009, 09:42
"The Kodiak's autopilot is the same. It's section on managing it in the manual should be pretty adequate."

Er... the same as...? I thought you meant the same as the Epic AP

Sorry, I wasnt very clear on that. I meant that the updated version of the Kodiak was the same version AP from its previous version, and that only the Epic LT had had a new version of AP come out. Thus the instructions on the Kodiak were sufficient to get you going on it. The Epic LT has a completely and totally different AP system, which is way wild, if I may add. That one has a voice system call out. The voice of the lady was sent to us by the actual factory. Pretty nice of them to do that.

The Quest Kodiak AP does not have sound, but is a very sufficient AP for that aircraft, basic and rugged and to the point, simple... They use a seperate AP from the optional Garmin G1000 AP system as it saves the purchaser of the aircraft thousands of dollars. You will see this alot these days in most planes that feature the Garmin G1000 or G900 systems.

BTW I had a look at a youtube movie of the kodiak and the cockpit is exactly the same as it is in real life. Man, I really LOVE that! :applause:

The pilots of actual Kodiaks said the same thing. I can only say thanks to the guys that supplied me with tons of photos of everything. That is what enabled the interior to really come together well. Without good material to build from like well done sharp photos, you just cannot really get all the details in there.

Thanks to the guys at the factory and their sister training center located nearby for all their help with that.

I hope that helps.

Bill

cheezyflier
December 26th, 2009, 11:56
all these many months later, and still much talk of this plane.
has to be some sort of record.

harleyman
December 26th, 2009, 11:57
BILL...You Still Da Man....:applause::applause:

wilycoyote4
December 26th, 2009, 20:17
A lot to learn but very interesting. The bare metal paint of BananaBob. Tongass scenery near Scud River.

J van E
December 27th, 2009, 06:17
I've been flying all afternoon with the Kodiak: I just couldn't stop. Hopped from airfield to airfield in FTX/OZx's Queensland and everytime I landed I thought: Ah, one more hop...! :applause: It also helps that I am using DX10 since a week or so and I get nice fps even with Extremely dense autogen (apart from big cities but I like trees more!): things are looking absolutely awesome everywhere I look! :jump:

Canuck07
December 27th, 2009, 07:00

I have recieved another feedback on that issue also. Many say that most all planes will hold a bank when you turn the yoke and then return it to neutral. I sort of decided I wanted it to return to neutral being a highwing design. My dad who had a ton of flight time always said that a plane that is trimmed out will usually always return to flat out flight and hold a course under normal circumstances, and so thats what I did with the Kodiak.

Now, how I got her to do this, I do not know, as I usually work on many tunes at once in the airfiles, but there is surely a way to tune that setting right back in.

Bill
LHC

Hi Bill, I'm the one who sent you the feedback regarding the Kodiac ailerons. I hope you take the time to make an alternate air file when you have some time because as it is I find it very difficult to fly because it goes against every pilot instinct and habit that I have built in my 24+ years of flying.
Your dad is right that a trimmed airplane will settle back after a bump. Also in pitch contrarily to the MSFS flight model a plane is trimmed for a speed so it will always return to it's attitude and maintain the speed with pwr unchanged. Again contrarily to MSFS pitch controls a/s and pwr controls rate of climb/descent. Our student pilots always struggle with this concept at first, particularily if the spent a lot of time using various sim games. Some readers may argue it's not always true and that is right in the case of big airliners which will usually use pwr on final for speed ctrl, but many large planes are flown differently then the basic skills learned at school.

To get back to the ailerons, a plane without aileron trim will do whatever it wants to do in that axis. A high wing like the Kodiac is usually stable and will return to level after a small bump and a deviation of a few degrees but it will not return to wings level after a significant bank.
In a turn I have never flown a plane that you have to hold the aileron input in 24+ years including the C152, C172, C182, PA28, Seneca, Cougar, C500, C550, T-6A ... to name only a few.

MSFS got this right in their default models.

For the simmers who are happy with it fine, but IMHO it is not realistic and it goes so much against my flying habits that I uninstalled the Kodiac for now... I just can't get used to that. I hope to get an alternate air file to use this beautiful plane in the Tongass scenery, the reason why I bought the Kodiac.

Thanks Bill,

Dan

Lionheart
December 27th, 2009, 07:08
Hey Dan,

Thanks for the detailed input. Like I said, I'll try to get an airfile out soon that has that feature built into it.

Its difficult making these as one has to call the shot and at a certain point say its done. There will always be points about a 'simulated' version of a real plane that will not be totally correct or aspects that people will not agree with. Its hard to make a plane that 'everyone' likes. But at least for me, I can certainly try.

:d

Bill

Lionheart
December 27th, 2009, 08:01
I didnt think to say this earlier, but you know its pretty easy to go in and do little changes to handling on these planes.

For instance, if you want to increase or decrease aileron gain/input/reaction on a plane, simply open up the 'aircraft.cfg' file with Windows Notepad, scroll down and find the aileron effectiveness and change it from 1 to say 2 or 3, or say 0.5, etc, then reboot the flight and check the handling.

For 'airfile' tuning, Google the program AirED.exe and install that, and open the aircrafts airfile and check out the section 1101 and see how many different tunes you can do to things such as flaps drag amount, flaps pitch effect, various aileron inputs. You can really have a blast playing around with the various settings...

But.....! Remember. Backup your files 'before' you start playing with settings. Messing with the settings can effect other settings. Having an original copy you can go back to will save you every time.

Every since I found out I could make little changes to planes (before I began making them), I was constantly making changes to planes to suit my own wants and desires. There are so many things you can do. Changing the visual point to be higher in the VC, using different lights effects, changing the height of the floats in the water, torque effect from the prop, etc, etc, etc.. Just beware though that some settings really effect others harshly, so have your backup original handy if you go too far and need to take a step back again.

Bill

Canuck07
December 27th, 2009, 08:38
Thanks Bill,

I know nothing about designing anything but I will experiment as you suggest. I have been flying for 24+ years and simming since FS5 but I am no expert with computers (unless they are part of my avionics equipment).

I agree it is difficult to make a plane to please everyone so thank you for trying! I used to teach at a school where we had a multi million $ full motion simulator and it still wasn't like the real thing so we can't expect a computer "game" (please don't shoot me for using this word) to be ultra realistic.

I would like to conclude by saying thank you for your kindness and respectfull response to costumer suggestions/ critics. Being a real life professional pilot the only way I can give back to the FS community is by bringing my knowledge of real life flying but some payware designers I gave feedback too take criticism very badly, it is not your case and I enjoy the fact that it stays very civilized and respectfull.

I will re-install the Kodiac and try some settings as you suggest,

Happy New Year to you and your team,

Dan

Lionheart
December 27th, 2009, 08:57
Hey Dan,

Most welcome man, and I do hear peoples advice and do my best to integrate it into the planes. Its hard when you are working on two and have several on the market. Things dont always happen overnight, but sometimes they can at least get carried out.

Keep an eye out on the updates section of the Kodiak webpage. When I come out with the update, it will be there. I'll announce it publically as well.

Happy New Years to you and yours as well.

Bill

wilycoyote4
December 27th, 2009, 11:41
Thank you Dan, I stand corrected, I'm wiser now. I'll examine this in the Kodiak and other aircraft to educate myself.

J van E
December 30th, 2009, 05:57
A few years ago I had no problem editing views for aircraft, but memory has failed me and so has Google... I'd like to delete the console view of the Kodiak and create a co-pilot view instead (the same as the main vc view, but then moved to the right, like you do with Ctrl-Shift-Enter). Anyone knows how to get this done...? I already had a look into the cameras.cfg and the aircraft.cfg, but I can't get it done anymore.

Henry
December 30th, 2009, 07:47
all i can say
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b327/henrybaker/20091.jpg

it is my favorite
H

J van E
December 31st, 2009, 11:03
Here I am again with a few questions. ;)

1. The Approach tutorial says that just before intercepting the ILS you have to disengage AP ALT en press the APR button two or three times until the display shows APR and GS together. Now first of all, whenever I press APR I get APR and GS together: there seems to be no other possibility. But more important: whenever I disengage ALT before going to APR, it seems the GS isn't intercepted well. However, when I leave ALT on and press APR, I get APR and GS together with ALT (NAV goes off) and as soon as the GS is intercepted, ALT goes off automatically and the GS is followed all the way down.
So there is no real problem here, all is working fine now, but not really as described in the tutorial, which was of course a bit confusing at first.

2. I just finished my first night flight (glad I know now how to intercept the ILS :P ) and I noticed the Cabin light knob does nothing: is that correct? The instrument panel works but a bit weird depending on the time of day. Sometimes it seems to do nothing but sometimes it does, but turning it off usually gives a weird effect (way too much contrast). The overhead (dome or whatever you call it) knob works fine, but it seems to depend on the Instrument panel knob: when I turn the latter off, it gets way too dark, as if the overhead knob doesn't work well. As long as I do not touch the instrument light knob, all is fine, but the thing is that I can only get no light at all or too much light (at least too much to my liking): I would like to see the instruments lit themselves in the middle of night. All in all it doesn't seem to be working as it should, really...

Still having BIG FUN with the plane, though! It's my default aircraft! Specially now I've got perfectly working mouse wheel knobs all over the VC thanks to Bert! :applause: :salute: I love the power if this bird: awesome. It can get you up and high in no time and at a good speed and cruise is perfect too: exactly what I've been looking for for a few years really...! It's got the perfect specs and speed for my use! Other planes were always too slow or too fast or had low wings, but this plane has it ALL!!! :engel016:

Lionheart
December 31st, 2009, 11:48
Hey J van E,

We (Dwight that is) retuned the approach settings several times and in the end had it set up so nice that the place would actually autoland in good conditions. The controls system 'changed' during this evolution of the ILS system so I am sure you were reading the old version. I need to update that. Sorry for the confusion.

Concerning lights; here is the breakdown.

Panel lights.............Gauges themselves, illuminated from behind
Dome Light.............Bright overhead light that illuminates interior brightly
Note; Front cabin area dome light, and rear cabin area dome light are two different controls

In my models, I have whats called 'soft cabin glow' for when 'instruments only' illumination is on. What this does is create a very finite glow in the cabin making things barely visible, which they would be with the instrument panel gauges illuminated, as they would shed a soft glow within the cabin.

When you turn off the instrument lights (panel lights), you are also turning off the soft glow in the cabin. So then it goes completely dark.

My crazy way of making planes... :d

Bill

n4gix
December 31st, 2009, 12:27
Unfortunately, what you have described is a limitation of FSX. The absolute worst time for any gauge backlighting is during the hours of dawn and dusk. Worse still, in FSX the option for "pilot controls lighting" is broken...

...since FSX will always turn on the "panel lights" automatically, irrespective of how one has set the option, which in turn forces the system to display the xxx_night.bmp alternate graphics set of all gauges...

...which in turn causes the truly awful effects you've described, where brightness and contrast of gauge graphics are vastly "out of balance" with the rest of the scene.

Without intending to sound immodest, I am probably one of the most knowledgable people on the planet with respect to the FS lighting "system," and I will claim without hesitation that "lighting" is one of the most difficult tasks any modeler faces these days. :banghead:

As it happens, I used Bill's Kodiak as the platform model in my MS/ACES white paper on FSX Emissive Lighting:

FSX Emissive Textures
And How they Relate to Virtual Cockpit Lighting
by Bill Leaming

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/esp/cc788741.aspx

J van E
December 31st, 2009, 12:37
I understand Lionheart's explanation, but that's not what I am seeing (no instrument illumination from behind at all!), but thanks to n4gix I understand also this is a known limitation. I will see what happens in the middle of night, because I was indeed flying during dusk!

n4gix
December 31st, 2009, 12:42
I understand Lionheart's explanation, but that's not what I am seeing (no instrument illumination from behind at all!), but thanks to n4gix I understand also this is a known limitation. I will see what happens in the middle of night, because I was indeed flying during dusk!

If you follow the link to my white paper, you'll see what the lighting should look like at night... :ernae:

Lionheart
December 31st, 2009, 12:51
Unfortunately, what you have described is a limitation of FSX. The absolute worst time for any gauge backlighting is during the hours of dawn and dusk. Worse still, in FSX the option for "pilot controls lighting" is broken...

...since FSX will always turn on the "panel lights" automatically, irrespective of how one has set the option, which in turn forces the system to display the xxx_night.bmp alternate graphics set of all gauges...

...which in turn causes the truly awful effects you've described, where brightness and contrast of gauge graphics are vastly "out of balance" with the rest of the scene.

Without intending to sound immodest, I am probably one of the most knowledgable people on the planet with respect to the FS lighting "system," and I will claim without hesitation that "lighting" is one of the most difficult tasks any modeler faces these days. :banghead:

As it happens, I used Bill's Kodiak as the platform model in my MS/ACES white paper on FSX Emissive Lighting:

FSX Emissive Textures
And How they Relate to Virtual Cockpit Lighting
by Bill Leaming

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/esp/cc788741.aspx

Thanks Bill for that info.

I failed to realise he was flying at dusk.

It would be nice if we could have instruments lighting during the day time, but we cant. If there is a sliver of sunlight in FSX or FS2004, you will have 'no' gauge lighting.

Bill

n4gix
December 31st, 2009, 13:00
It would be nice if we could have instruments lighting during the day time, but we cant. If there is a sliver of sunlight in FSX or FS2004, you will have 'no' gauge lighting.

Well, in FSX we can have instrument backlighting during the daytime with a tiny bit of effort, but this isn't really the forum to discuss that... :salute:

J van E
December 31st, 2009, 13:15
I failed to realise he was flying at dusk.

You failed nothing: I said at first I was flying at night, while it was actually dusk... but it looked kinda dark already... :icon_lol: So I just wasn't really clear...

CBris
December 31st, 2009, 13:32
Lights...

Did no one notice the dimmable lights in the Bushhawk from Aerosoft?

Light switching is possible - and "cold and dark" is the real way to start a flight. Notice how developers are working that way these days? Lookit the A2A Cub too (OK, lights are lacking per se, but the cold and dark is really wonderful)

Even the Aerosoft Dornier 27 portover works well in X with its "By the book" operations. Look at the aerosoft Glider and the technology that is available there.

These things that people appear to be missing ARE possible in FSX. OK, I will agree that it is often difficult, and more often than necessary you developers have to invent workarounds.

I am really afraid that I don't have any for your X-Ware Bill, but that is not for lack of you trying. You just don't do "my kind of planes". Oh, the Bugatti was fun, But I went X very shortly after. Now do something like a Super Chipmunk or a new Dornier 27 or a PZL Wilga or a Ju52/87/88/188/288/388...

:icon_lol: